We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Which has more survivability?

I play a dwarf in Landroval, and am torn between Guardian and Champ, but I want to be 2h hammer. (Don't say axe. 2% boost is mediocre to me.)

I was curious as to end-game, which class has more survivability/tankiness with the two handed weapon?

I'd say it depends... Group or solo?

If solo, Champ. Guards are just a mountain of AC and Morale, but are abysmal in self healing. Tank Champs, otoh, have both good power regen, morale healing and AC boost.
    If grouped, could be either, but people generally expect their tanking Guards to Sword'n'Board, rather than using 2-handed weapons.

So if I'm off-tanking then, which would be the better choice? OP Guard or Glory Champ? I'm unfamiliar with the changes from RoR is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Vornili View Post
    So if I'm off-tanking then, which would be the better choice? OP Guard or Glory Champ? I'm unfamiliar with the changes from RoR is all.
    If you try to tank in OP you'll have trouble finding groups. My advice would be to try both guard and champ to level 20ish, as a guard if you want to tank then go sword and board, if you really dislike the idea of a shield roll a champ so you can tank with your 2 hander.

Or there is a leftfield choice which is a tanking focussed Captain.
    Currently you would be able to wield your 2H hammer and still block with 5 yellows plus Legendary
    Come Helms Deep all of this is subject to change however, but Captain will apparently have a tanking line still and may or may not enable you to tank successfully with a 2H weapon.

I believe the new Guardian come Helms Deep will have an offtanking/2H trait line too?

Maybe check out some of the Dev Diaries to confirm my hearsay?

Mind that HD will bring a lot of changes to how classes play in a few weeks (esp. for tanking), so it's hard to give good advice right now.
    Currently, if you insist on going with a 2h weapon you'll have a hard time finding a tank spot in a group. As a guard you'll loose most of your reactive aggro-builders and quite a bit of survivability without shield (even more if you go OP as well, I'd say tanking in OP isn't possible even with shield). For champ it's less severe, but the reduced attack speed and lack of off-hand stats will hurt your tanking abilities quite a bit as well, and there isn't really much need for off-tanks to start with anyway (compared to RoI days). Captain might be the best option for a 2h (off-)tank, but isn't available for dwarves.

I play a dwarf in Landroval, and am torn between Guardian and Champ, but I want to be 2h hammer. (Don't say axe. 2% boost is mediocre to me.)

I was curious as to end-game, which class has more survivability/tankiness with the two handed weapon?
    When it comes to MMOs, the general rule is never chose a class on how well it plays now, because at any point the features that attract you to a class could be changed. In short the nerf bat swings and hits often as the buff cloth

So, play the class that best fits your play style - Guardians are primarily tanks with some dps capability & champions are dps with some tanking abilities.
    Because SOA was damn site better than what we have in today's LOTRO.
    (This signature space could be yours on short term leases. Contact me for details and rates!!)

I play a dwarf in Landroval, and am torn between Guardian and Champ, but I want to be 2h hammer. (Don't say axe. 2% boost is mediocre to me.) I was curious as to end-game, which class has more survivability/tankiness with the two handed weapon?
    Guardians have more potential aggro & resistance. That doesn't mean that a good champion player can't tank as much a well. Champions have the dps easier but a well traited & geared for dps guard in OP with a 2-hand weapon can also put a substantial amount of dps. Guards, don't usually tank with 2-hand weapons, most their agro skills are related to shield use.

Peoples perception of what should be the class is a different matter. If you play a guardian you will be expected to tank. If you play a champion you will be expected to dps. If you attempt to do the other way around you will find a lot of heated moments with other players, when running instances.

Also, you don't have to stick with the 2-hand axe or whatever racial bonus you have for weapon. As you already noticed, +2% dammage is not a lot. You can choose whatever 2-hand weapon you wish.
    Last edited by YamydeAragon; Oct 30 2013 at 04:53 PM.

This is probably the easiest question to answer... If you had asked which had more survivability overall, that would be tough to answer..... But this is an easy one..

A 2h champion has significantly more survivability then a 2h guardian.... Its not even debatable...

Quote Originally Posted by YamydeAragon View Post
    Guardians have more potential aggro & resistance. That doesn't mean that a good champion player can't tank as much a well. Champions have the dps easier but a well traited & geared for dps guard in OP with a 2-hand weapon can also put a substantial amount of dps. Guards, don't usually tank with 2-hand weapons, most their agro skills are related to shield use.

Peoples perception of what should be the class is a different matter. If you play a guardian you will be expected to tank. If you play a champion you will be expected to dps. If you attempt to do the other way around you will find a lot of heated moments with other players, when running instances.

Also, you don't have to stick with the 2-hand axe or whatever racial bonus you have for weapon. As you already noticed, +2% dammage is not a lot. You can choose whatever 2-hand weapon you wish.
    Your response in no way answers the OP question..... Read it again... An overall analysis of both classes without providing an answer to the question Op asked is pointless at best... You are supporting the idea that there is equality between the classes which is certainly not the case...
    Last edited by zagreb000; Oct 31 2013 at 07:21 AM.