We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

crafted 2nd ages or 1st ages

I can use level 65 legendary items. so, 1st age legendary item which can be bartered is better than crafted 2nd age item?

Quote Originally Posted by hophopbear View Post
    I can use level 65 legendary items. so, 1st age legendary item which can be bartered is better than crafted 2nd age item?
    Yes, 1st age LI's are better than 2nd age LI's. I don't know if you are levelling quickly though, because if you are it might not be worth the effort getting a 1st age LI at level 65, you will outlevel it too fast and 3rd age or 2nd age LI's will be better again after a few levels.
    [center][URL=http://s1170.photobucket.com/user/Glohir/media/99b92620-47a6-43d6-8b52-1ff43a173a35_zpsz90debot.png.html][IMG]http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r524/Glohir/99b92620-47a6-43d6-8b52-1ff43a173a35_zpsz90debot.png[/IMG][/URL][/center]

Generally 1st age are good for 15lvls and 2nd age good for 10lvls.
    With this in mind a bartered lvl60 1st age should last you until you can get a lvl75 2nd age.
    (Saying that though by the time I got to lvl75 my off-hand had a higher DPS than my lvl60 FA)

No, a First Age is not better, they provide fewer legacy points while leveling up. It takes nearly three times the IXP to get the same amount of legacy points as a Third Age. A Second Age takes over twice as much as a Third. However once they are maxed, they do offer more legacy points total, it just takes longer to get them.

Most people don't realize this. So while leveling up, unless you are using the XP disabler to stop leveling and max out the item, a Third Ager offers more. A caveat to this is weapons. The DPS on SA and FA is higher, so if you are playing a DPS class, and most your DPS comes from the weapon, not legacies, a First Age will offer more DPS at the expense of fewer legacy points while leveling.

For the car analogy, think of Third Agers like high performance sports cars, they get you more faster and are more capable. Think of First Agers like trucks, they take three times longer to get there, but when they do they have more stuff.

My rule of thumb? I mostly want third ages while leveling up. If I'm going to keep the item forever (15+ levels) and use a Scroll of Delving on it, then FA.
    Link to our community LOTRO store google spreadsheet pricelist and conversion rates, please contribute too!: https://goo.gl/wxPqCm

Quote Originally Posted by hophopbear View Post
    A weapon will have higher DPS. The difficulty is that you will quickly level to the point where you are better off with a 3rd age. The old rule of thumb is:

1) Level 65 second age = Level 66 third age
    2) Level 65 first age - Level 67 third age

It only makes sense to use a second or first age at level cap. Or you decide that you want to wear the experience point disabler and spend a significant portion of your time doing content like group instances without leveling.

If you do not character advancement disabled you are never going to fully grow your second or first age. You only have enough item experience points in blue pills to cap the DPS. You will not be able to optimize the legacies. Tier them all up to golds Tier 6. Level cap the legendary item. As previously mentioned it takes a lot more item XP to advance a second age versus a third age. It takes a lot more item XP to advance a first age versus a second age.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Hm, interesting. I always replaced my (pimped raid) First Ages when I was five levels over their item level - so 75 1A -> 80 3A -> 85 2A, eventually 1A. The suggestion here is that I was gimping myself.

It certainly didn't feel like that.

100s: Aedfrith (HN), Aldnoth (CP), Hrolfdan (MN), Aldfryd (WD), Morriarty (CH), Aednoth (LM), Mishhar (BR), Hraldan (GR), Rumbold (BG): The little ones - Rumbelina (MN), Brai (RK)
    Rangers of Eriador (officer), Snowbourn
    A Noob for All Seasons

Quote Originally Posted by Aedfrith View Post
    Hm, interesting. I always replaced my (pimped raid) First Ages when I was five levels over their item level - so 75 1A -> 80 3A -> 85 2A, eventually 1A. The suggestion here is that I was gimping myself.

It certainly didn't feel like that.
    It depends on how well built your second or first age is. Many of the weapons come with damage bonus legacy - you got these tier 6 and leveled them all the way up. You want to keep them longer. I kept my level 65 second ages to level 75. Remember landscape content is easy. If your legendary weapon is weak at current level you will still be able to do content.

When you are leveling a character you will not have a (pimped raid) First Age 60, 65, 75 or 85. If you have a First Age it going to a bad mix of tier 1 and 2 legacies. You might not have maxed the DPS legacy.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

i replaced my fa 65 for a lvl 73 third age... did have no problems whatsoever with lvling... so in my opinion changing a fa or sa every 10 lvl's is easily done in lotro
    Flixxer - Hunter - Imladris - 100 R7 ---- Danielleth - Minstrel - Imladris - 22
    Zaireth - Rune-keeper - Imladris - 73 -- Ariannasophia - Warden - Imladris - 14
    Flixxer - Champion - Eldar - 54

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    It depends on how well built your second or first age is. Many of the weapons come with damage bonus legacy - you got these tier 6 and leveled them all the way up. You want to keep them longer. I kept my level 65 second ages to level 75. Remember landscape content is easy. If your legendary weapon is weak at current level you will still be able to do content.
    This is what I do and how long I keep it depends on the legacies and their tiers. I'll use a good FA/SA for ten levels from lvl 65+, below that lvl I'd switch out every five levels. I suppose if you're raiding then you'll want to switch out more often, but the landscape content doesn't require it. One of my alts just got to lvl 85 and still using a quite good SA lvl 75 weapon, they have no problem one shotting on horseback - albeit my probability will go up with a SA lvl 85. I'm in the process of making a SA lvl 85 weapon now, however I have to be able to lvl it past 30 or close to 40 for it to be comparable with the current lvl 75 at lvl 70. A little boost in DPS alone is not enough for me!