We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Hybrid View

LOTRO no longer playable on Windows XP? (crashing on entering game world)

I've just recently come back to the game after taking some time off and I'm trying to squeeze the last drop of life out of my old rig. It's an old home-built machine running Windows XP, single-core processor, 4GB ram, Radeon HIS 4850, Corsair SSD, Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P mobo with onboard Realtek sound. This is the same rig on which I was running LOTRO for a number of years without any problems.

Yesterday I did a completely fresh install of Windows XP (after secure-erasing the SSD and reformatting it), and I downloaded and installed the LOTRO client. Started it up, let it update and patch; logged in, selected character, enter game world.... I'm in the game world for about two seconds and then the entire PC crashes.

This is happening every. Single. Time.

So far (based on threads I've found here the forum), I have tried the "3GB userva" trick, I've tried recreating the display settings (userpreferences) file, I've tried lowering the speed on the game engine...nothing is working.

Keep in mind that other than Google Chome (which I downloaded because I can't stand IE8), and the driver/utility software for the Radeon card and my DVD drive - there is literally nothing else installed on the PC. Just LOTRO.

I was able to play LOTRO on this machine - running XP - for years.

Now it seems like it's impossible to do so. Or is there another reason for this crashing? Any suggestions, other than "buy a new computer?"
    [b][size=3][font=Georgia][color=#00FF33]IRISH-ROHIRRIM AIRLINES: FORTH, AER LINGUS!
    [/color][/font][/size][/b][font=arial][color=#ffffff]Macbeth - Level 75 Captain / Jinjur - Level 56 Warden / Sigismund - Level 64 Loremaster / [color=red][/color][/color][/font] [color=#33CCFF]- Arkenstone[/color]

I had similar rig. As soon as Rise of Isengard launched. It was play a little bit. Crash. Play a little bit. Crash. The only way I was able to resolve the issue was to buy a new machine that had 8 Gigabytes of memory and Windows 7. Or stay out of regions that were added after of Endewaith. I can use my XP machine to craft in the Shire or Thorins Hall.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    I had similar rig. As soon as Rise of Isengard launched. It was play a little bit. Crash. Play a little bit. Crash. The only way I was able to resolve the issue was to buy a new machine that had 8 Gigabytes of memory and Windows 7. Or stay out of regions that were added after of Endewaith. I can use my XP machine to craft in the Shire or Thorins Hall.
    That's interesting. Now that I think back, I think I was starting to have the same problem back before I stopped playing for a while. It was happening in Moria too, though.

So it's a memory problem then? I'm wondering if I should test it by creating a new character at log in and running around the starter areas for a bit to see if it crashes.
    [b][size=3][font=Georgia][color=#00FF33]IRISH-ROHIRRIM AIRLINES: FORTH, AER LINGUS!
    [/color][/font][/size][/b][font=arial][color=#ffffff]Macbeth - Level 75 Captain / Jinjur - Level 56 Warden / Sigismund - Level 64 Loremaster / [color=red][/color][/color][/font] [color=#33CCFF]- Arkenstone[/color]

Quote Originally Posted by Macbeth View Post
    So it's a memory problem then? I'm wondering if I should test it by creating a new character at log in and running around the starter areas for a bit to see if it crashes.
    When I looked into the issue using my PC software debugging tools there is a memory leak in the Lotro client when I was running it under Windows XP. The client will slowly grow in main memory allocation until my PC locks up or the XP kills Lotro for exceeding the memory limit.

The only solution that I was able to come up with to stop Lotro from crashing was to reduce my total memory to 2 Gigabytes installed instead of 4 Gigabytes. The game runs like a dog with a broken leg - very slow with 2 Gigabytes of of main memory.

My personal opinion - I do not think Turbine does much testing with 32 bit OSes and more. Even back 2010 Turbine probably had 64 bit OSes probably Windows 7 on all almost all their machines. This kind of situation makes it very difficult and expensive to debug and fix. It is really difficult as a software developer to get a second machine just to look into a specific problem. You run into all the tooling issues. If the standard software development package at your company is designed for Windows 7, trying to install this package under a different OS especially and older one like XP can be an exercise in frustration.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

You could always try a program like this one to analyze your crash.

http://www.winhelp.us/analyze-crash-...hocrashed.html

http://download.cnet.com/WhoCrashed/...nt;contentBody

If this is a blue screen, check the website of your Mobo manufacturer for bios/on board audio/ etc updates.
    Also check for graphics card/audio! card updates.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findby...error_list.htm

Make sure everything is seated properly
    http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10-...screen-errors/

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/fea...survival_guide

I haven't had these crashes on one of mine (that runs XP), but you may still find it better to eventually try Win7 64bit OEM version.

Quote Originally Posted by EmyrSelyf View Post
    If this is a blue screen, check the website of your Mobo manufacturer for bios/on board audio/ etc updates.
    Also check for graphics card/audio! card updates.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findby...error_list.htm

Make sure everything is seated properly
    http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10-...screen-errors/

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/fea...survival_guide

I haven't had these crashes on one of mine (that runs XP), but you may still find it better to eventually try Win7 64bit OEM version.
    Hey Emyr,

It's actually worse than a BSOD - everything goes black and the PC winds up rebooting. There's a few times when it doesn't reboot and the screen just stays black, though, and then I have to restart manually.
    Hmm. Actually I guess it's about on par with a blue screen.
    It's just odd that I was able to play for the first half of this year; and it boggles my mind that it's happening on a completely fresh install of XP with a fresh intall of LOTRO (both installations are less than 24 hours old).

Rebooting is almost always something overheating.
    Most common is video card.
    Check that fans are turning, make sure sync to refresh rate is on (in userpreferences,ini or options){that will reduce heat}, lower graphic quality (game tends to have to keep lowering graphics quality as they improved new areas, if you where gone a long time you will need to lower it).