We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Bring Back Pipeweed Uses!

Hi
    I am wondering if pipeweed can serve some use in a future update.
    In the past it was used my LM to rez In Combat.
    Perhaps something similar could be proposed. Different types of pipeweed could have buffs, debuffs, allow healing characters to rez?

Thanks

If it does anything, it's likely to be self-debuffs (like alcohol). Doing anything else would be a PR problem for Turbine, and might actually trigger a re-rating issue. Probably best to just leave it without effect, positive or negative. A smoke ring blowing mini-game would be nice, though.

Khafar

There is another thread open about this same theme atm: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...g-battle-worth
    Is this Alternate Character Disorder? :

I'd smoke my pipe more if it didn't have such a horrible sound effect. Instead of a puffing sound it sounds more like the person is on a hospital respirator. Very annoying.
    Quit yelling at the echo to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by indiramourn View Post
    I'd smoke my pipe more if it didn't have such a horrible sound effect. Instead of a puffing sound it sounds more like the person is on a hospital respirator. Very annoying.
    I think that it have beeing discused before & also that you can turn off that sound on the option panel.

It would be nice if there was a Deed/Title for trying all the different (including cross-breed) Pipeweed types.

Perhaps granting a unique pipeweed emote.

All The Best

Yes it would be nice to have a reason to actually farm pipeweed, as it is, it's just a total waste of time, much like brewing beer. Why bother to include either of them anymore since they are essentially useless! Just another part of the game that has been abandoned in the dumbing down process. Which part of a once interesting, social and interactive game will be the next to be dumbed down or abandoned in the ever accelerating race to appeal to an ever less interested playerbase? Will we have Ben10 and Hello Kitty making appearances soon? How about some Pokemon to hunt up and use in combat to make the combat system more attrractive to a wider audience?

Quote Originally Posted by podgie_bear View Post
    Yes it would be nice to have a reason to actually farm pipeweed, as it is, it's just a total waste of time, much like brewing beer. Why bother to include either of them anymore since they are essentially useless! Just another part of the game that has been abandoned in the dumbing down process. Which part of a once interesting, social and interactive game will be the next to be dumbed down or abandoned in the ever accelerating race to appeal to an ever less interested playerbase? Will we have Ben10 and Hello Kitty making appearances soon? How about some Pokemon to hunt up and use in combat to make the combat system more attrractive to a wider audience?
    As a test my last toon (Dwarf Mini) was levelled exclusively by farming Pipeweed and Hops, and brewing Beer.

Once I got out of the intro-zone all he did was farm and cook.

Got to level 29 without needing to kill anything.

All The Best

It is a nice bit of color to the game, that doesn't involve grinding, and ties in with the lore. It's the little things such as this that make the game fun. Not everything in the game needs to be tied to 'purpose'.

I doubt, given today's view on smoking, they can really expand on it, but I'm glad it is in there still.
    Casual R Us - Garatha

Quote Originally Posted by Khafar View Post
    If it does anything, it's likely to be self-debuffs (like alcohol). Doing anything else would be a PR problem for Turbine, and might actually trigger a re-rating issue. Probably best to just leave it without effect, positive or negative. A smoke ring blowing mini-game would be nice, though.

Khafar
    As if it realy matters since Turbine is haveing a lot of PR problems already. New skill trees for HD, and Heart of wood issues for DDO are just a couple of the issues Turbine has on their plate. So I say let them eat crow. Maybe a PR nightmare will teach them a lesson because community relations here have been extremely poor lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Egilric View Post
    As a test my last toon (Dwarf Mini) was levelled exclusively by farming Pipeweed and Hops, and brewing Beer.

Once I got out of the intro-zone all he did was farm and cook.

Got to level 29 without needing to kill anything.

All The Best
    You could have done exactly the same with grains and cooking, so what is the point of pipeweed and beers in the game? They don't actually do anything ( apart from make your character drunk and do we need more than one kind of beer for that?) So you are hardly supplying any reason to keep them in the game are you? They are a relic from when this game actually made use of them, they have been made redundant and useless except to farm your own vendor trash to sell! If they were removed from the game tomorrow, would it actually make any difference at all?

It would make a difference, yes. There would be a little less flavor and lore in the game. If you find growing and processing pipeweed pointless, do not do it. It is not required of anyone.

But we should remove anything in the game that some folks find pointless? No. It would be a bare and stark game, and nothing at all like the Hobbit and Trilogy.
    Casual R Us - Garatha

Quote Originally Posted by Garatha View Post
    It would make a difference, yes. There would be a little less flavor and lore in the game. If you find growing and processing pipeweed pointless, do not do it. It is not required of anyone.

But we should remove anything in the game that some folks find pointless? No. It would be a bare and stark game, and nothing at all like the Hobbit and Trilogy.
    I'm not saying remove it, I'm saying it used to have uses and those uses have been removed which makes it virtually pointless. It would be nice to have those uses or some new uses added to the game rather than keep reducing everything to the simplest options, thus continually dumbing down the game.

What harm was there in allowing those original uses for pipeweed to continue?
    What has been improved by removing those uses?
    What harm would it do to restore those uses or give us new ones?

If turbine is afraid of the anti-smoking lobby, change them from pipeweed to medicines and let us make salves and ointments from them? As it stands they are virtually useless except as vendor trash! Or we stand around chain smoking the stuff which is no better from an anti-smoking policy than giving the original uses back!
    Last edited by podgie_bear; Oct 27 2013 at 04:41 PM.

You could have done exactly the same with grains and cooking, so what is the point of pipeweed and beers in the game? They don't actually do anything ( apart from make your character drunk and do we need more than one kind of beer for that?) So you are hardly supplying any reason to keep them in the game are you? They are a relic from when this game actually made use of them, they have been made redundant and useless except to farm your own vendor trash to sell! If they were removed from the game tomorrow, would it actually make any difference at all?
    I could have done, but I CHOSE Pipeweed and Beer.

The do do something, they offer a CHOICE.

I wasn't attempting to offer a reason to keep them in the game, they already have one - see above.

The game still makes use of them, different Pipeweed varieties have different emotes.

If they were removed it would a) remove those emotes, and b) further reduce choice - so yes, removing them would make a difference.

I don't do PvMP - its my personal choice not to; but I am not so arrogant as to think that removing it wouldn't make a difference.

All The Best

143 Puppy Lane, Happy Evergreen Village, Draconia Incorporated
    I like pipes of weed, daily does they foretell the skies falling under the claouds and vice versa Versace and vices grip us.................:......:... ..:......:: all........................... ..............will you be my friend?
    Get up, go outside, run to your nearest field,and frolic;
    frolic till you find the meaning of life, then sit down and sing cheery songs till dawn.
    I have been sent by the Mustelids, who are inter-dimensional beings leading us.
    I am one of few Mustelidian High Priests. Join our order.

I could have done, but I CHOSE Pipeweed and Beer.

The do do something, they offer a CHOICE.

I wasn't attempting to offer a reason to keep them in the game, they already have one - see above.

The game still makes use of them, different Pipeweed varieties have different emotes.

If they were removed it would a) remove those emotes, and b) further reduce choice - so yes, removing them would make a difference.

I don't do PvMP - its my personal choice not to; but I am not so arrogant as to think that removing it wouldn't make a difference.

All The Best
    Do you even know what you are talking about? I have never asked for them to be removed. Have you been smoking too much pipeweed and lost track or something? I'm saying that they have been dumbed down from what they used to be (like so much in this game) and I think they should be made more of!

It would be nice if there was a Deed/Title for trying all the different (including cross-breed) Pipeweed types.

All The Best
    Good idea, I like it.

Do you even know what you are talking about?
    Yes.

I have never asked for them to be removed.
    Nor did I say you had.

You suggested that removing them would make no difference, I challenged that view and gave examples of how removing them would make a difference.

Have you been smoking too much pipeweed and lost track or something?
    Gave up smoking when I left school at 16, almost 30 years ago.

I'm saying that they have been dumbed down from what they used to be (like so much in this game) and I think they should be made more of!
    On that we can agree.

All The Best

Quote Originally Posted by YamydeAragon View Post
    I think that it have beeing discused before & also that you can turn off that sound on the option panel.
    If there is a setting to turn off just Pipe weed smoking sounds I would do it. But there is no setting to disable just pipe weed sounds, sadly.
    Quit yelling at the echo to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by indiramourn View Post
    It is a politically-correct way to encourage you not to smoke.

Here's a thought:

How about pipeweed that blurs your screen, like when you are intoxicated, but it lasts for 20 minutes. During that time, you have the "munchies" buff that allows you to eat 2 trail foods with full effects.....
    Belandereth

Killer of Threads
    Black Forge Elites and Union of the Black Forge.

All The Best
    I LIKE this concept, maybe just a Deed and a Title (No TP, never know what the lawyers will bristle about).

No thoughts on the Title yet but the emote could be a fit of giggles.

Quote Originally Posted by phantasynut View Post
    ...How about pipeweed that blurs your screen, like when you are intoxicated, but it lasts for 20 minutes. During that time, you have the "munchies" buff that allows you to eat 2 trail foods with full effects.....
    Make it so you can't see where the trail food is, because the blur effect & we have a deal .

Personally I think adding buffs to pipeweed would kinda ruin them in my book.

The idea of it just making smoke shapes and stuff because why? it's fun to watch and stuff!
    Some reason it's fun to watch the /rich emote and /toast emote

The emotes in the game don't have buffs and stuff... I mean when I first started playing I LOVE the trying all the ales and wines (IN GAME thank you...lol) because it was fun to see my screen go all woozy and blurry and no boosted run speed or more attack damage or something...just a fun buff...erm...more like DEbuff...lol

I'd actually like to see more stuff that has no reason besides it's fun to watch your characters do.

But...this is just my opinion and many others have theirs, so don't take me as saying ''this is a bad idea'' I'm more saying *I* do not like it...it does not mean it's bad...