We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

VIP with a question about expansions.

I have an annual subscription. I would also like to get to level 85 with a minimum of frustration. My question: Do I have to buy (an) expansion(s) in order to get to 85 and if so, which are absolutely necessary? In other words, having spent $99 and been told repeatedly that I'm 'VIP', I resent having to spend yet more in order to get to the end of the game. And I'd rather not have to earn 4K in TP doing slayer deeds.

What is the easiest, cheapest, most efficient way to reach 85?

Thanks!

No, you don't have to buy any expansion to get to 85, but as a VIP without anything post SoA, you're going to find it a grind. VIP players must buy expansions to get those quests/etc unlocked. The Epics are free up to 85 (HD will be different this time). You can travel through the zones and kill things (possibly can do tasks, where available). You can skirmish and do whatever instances you've unlocked.

I would say that you need to buy Mines of Moria and Rise of Isengard (that'll get you to 75, easily). After that, you can kill/skirmish/epic to 85 then decide if you want Siege of Mirkwood and/or Riders of Rohan. To fully experience Helm's Deep, you'll have to buy that one (we all do, one way or another).

When my VIP accounts had to go premium for a time, I bought everything I could, when I could, on sale. The only pre-purchases I have done to date were Rise of Isengard and Riders of Rohan. I started, by the way, when Siege of Mirkwood was the latest expansion just a few months before the 2010 launch of F2P.

I plan to buy Helm's Deep early next month, but I might have to only do this for one VIP account. I am torn between spending $80 for two copies or $60 for one then buying the second, later; though the pre-purchase bonuses will not apply after the live launch. Buying the second in December (or later) would mean doing just that.
    Last edited by cdq1958; Oct 30 2013 at 02:57 PM.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

2 Waterbank Road, Eryn Lelryn, Falathlorn Homesteads
    You shouldn't need any expansions.

Every expansion has a non-expansion area that's the same or near-same level. As a VIP, you will have quest access to these areas.

~50-60~
    Moria (Expansion)
    Eregion and Lothlorien (Quest Packs)

~60-65~
    Mirkwood (Expansion)
    Enedwaith (Quest Pack)

~65-75~
    Isengard (Expansion)
    Enedwaith and Great River (Quest Packs)- Not positive on this combination, but I think it will work.

~75-85~
    Rohan (Expansion)
    Great River and Wildermore (Quest Packs)- Not positive on this combination, but I think it will work.
    Tarphindiel~Hu~100, Tolella~Mi~86, Ryeberry~Gu~80, Torfrik~Rk~80, Arindis~Be~60
    Meleras~Wd~50, Minethril~Ca~49, Diorwen~Ch~44, Indiria~Lm~38, Alanda~Bu~32
    And Fourteen Other Alts
    Founder of Gladden's "The Fellowship of the Ping"

Quote Originally Posted by Newyorc View Post
    what is the easiest, cheapest, most efficient way to reach 85?
    No such thing really...

You can have cheap, easy or fast, but not all 3.

The easiest and I'd guess more efficient way would be to buy the HD expansion and add on the Quad pack for another $20, for $60 you get everything. Mirkwood, Rise of Isengard, Moria, Riders of Rohan and Helms Deep.

The cheapest way would be to buy none of those and grind your way to 85.

Or some combo of the above, buy Mirkwood and Rohan, and grind when you can't do quests in either of those two areas.

I also don't quite see why you think this is a problem. It's not like LotRO is the first or only MMO to charge subscribers for expansions.
    Last edited by Solarfox; Oct 30 2013 at 03:09 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000023bdbd/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Solarfox View Post
    The easiest and I'd guess more efficient way would be to buy the HD expansion and add on the Quad pack for another $20, for $60 you get everything. Mirkwood, Rise of Isengard, Moria, Riders of Rohan and Helms Deep.
    I keep seeing this, but when I look for the deal it says it was offered like 2 months ago and isn't valid. What am I missing?
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    What am I missing?
    Here's how I saw it.

Go to https://store.lotro.com/en/expansion-packs/ and click on the Buy Now link. That should pop up a window that lets you add on other items. One of them is the Quad pack for $19.99. Then you can check out from there.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000023bdbd/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Here's how I saw it.

Go to https://store.lotro.com/en/expansion-packs/ and click on the Buy Now link. That should pop up a window that lets you add on other items. One of them is the Quad pack for $19.99. Then you can check out from there.
    Aha! Fantastic. I was trying it the other day adding the quad pack first and it went straight to check out. I thank you, but my wallet likely is displeased with your help lol.
    BAD WOLF

I thank you, but my wallet likely is displeased with your help lol.
    I can only provide information, I can't be held responsible for what you do with it.

If your goal is to get to 85 with minimum grinding and cost you'll probably want to unlock the Moria, Isengard and Rohan questpacks. Mirkwood can be easily skipped, Isengard probably too if you're planning a bit ahead. Depending how fast you level you may be able to get them just using the 500 TP/month from your VIP status.
    Mind that advice is strictly for _getting_ to 85, you'll be missing out a number of things that way that may be relevant to you when you've reached 85 (Mirkwood/Rohan instances, premium classes and character slots from Moria expansion, extra warsteed traitlines from Rohan expansion) and buying those separately afterwards may be more expensive than getting the expansion quadpack.
    Used to play: 85 Champ / Captain / Runekeeper / Guardian, Guild Master of everything but cooking.
    Playing now: Hellcat / King Tiger / GW Panther / IS / KV-5 / M4 Sherman and more

Quote Originally Posted by LethalLethality View Post
    You shouldn't need any expansions.

Every expansion has a non-expansion area that's the same or near-same level. As a VIP, you will have quest access to these areas.

~50-60~
    Moria (Expansion)
    Eregion and Lothlorien (Quest Packs)

~60-65~
    Mirkwood (Expansion)
    Enedwaith (Quest Pack)

~65-75~
    Isengard (Expansion)
    Enedwaith and Great River (Quest Packs)- Not positive on this combination, but I think it will work.

~75-85~
    Rohan (Expansion)
    Great River and Wildermore (Quest Packs)- Not positive on this combination, but I think it will work.
    I'm curious how to make Eregion last past level 53-ish. One alt (not recently) did all that meta deed (all deeds all quests), started at 48 and finished at 53 (53.5ish).
    I think start quests outside First Hall are level 58? 60? (can recall wrong...), will be some rough time spent running ahead in epics and doing skirms for a level or two...perhaps worth it.

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful and informative answers.

After some thought, I decided that forcing myself to grind levels (even with VIP TP points) is not how I want to spend my game time; doing so would make reaching end-game tedious as well as time-consuming. I'd rather spend TP on enhancements.

Grimdi, thanks -- your answer was the best of many good ones.

I purchased the $60 combination recommended here.

P.S. I found myself in the exact position Macro describes: Level 53.7 Hunter finished with quests and deeds in Eregion. Thus, this thread.

P.P.S. I fully admit that I'm naive, as I have only played two MMORPGs; which other games have locked quests similar to LOTRO is unknown to me as the other game I have played doesn't work that way (or didn't when I played it). I'm not nor ever intend to be a video game expert! I was under the wrong impression that unlocking areas of the game meant that I could go to these areas but that quests would remain locked. (Why else would a player go to an area -- for the view?) I think LOTRO could be more clear as to what a customer is purchasing with a particular subscription, which quests would still require additional purchase, etc. Then again, I could have been more diligent about reading fine print, forums such as this one, etc. I was new to the game at the time and still am, relatively.

Thanks again, all.

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful and informative answers.

After some thought, I decided that forcing myself to grind levels (even with VIP TP points) is not how I want to spend my game time; doing so would make reaching end-game tedious as well as time-consuming. I'd rather spend TP on enhancements.

Grimdi, thanks -- your answer was the best of many good ones.

I purchased the $60 combination recommended here.

P.S. I found myself in the exact position Macro describes: Level 53.7 Hunter finished with quests and deeds in Eregion. Thus, this thread.

P.P.S. I fully admit that I'm naive, as I have only played two MMORPGs; which other games have locked quests similar to LOTRO is unknown to me as the other game I have played doesn't work that way (or didn't when I played it). I'm not nor ever intend to be a video game expert! I was under the wrong impression that unlocking areas of the game meant that I could go to these areas but that quests would remain locked. (Why else would a player go to an area -- for the view?) I think LOTRO could be more clear as to what a customer is purchasing with a particular subscription, which quests would still require additional purchase, etc. Then again, I could have been more diligent about reading fine print, forums such as this one, etc. I was new to the game at the time and still am, relatively.

Thanks again, all.
    Good call. Moria is an Amazing quest pack (and hey, you get wrd/rk and two bonus character slots with the proper Moria expansion too, I think) and super smooth levels.

As a casual gamer, I had the luxury to play a long time as non-VIP and slowly purchase the game content. 60 USD sounds like a lot to pop on a game in one go, more so as you have just paid for VIP-time!

I hope you find it was worth it and can have some good times hanging here

EDIT Hot tip from a casual gamer who sometimes worked very hard in order to be able to be very lazy: during VIP, create all the characters you can imagine to ever play - and log them in at least once (no need to go through intro, just log in one time). Do this for some alternative servers as well - it can be relaxing to visit other places, an RP server, some smaller or bigger place - and the characters you logged in once during VIP get so many perks that they retain even should you take some longer break from the game.

I can only provide information, I can't be held responsible for what you do with it.
    Well...Turbine will hold you accountable and thank you gladly I believe. I just couldn't resist picking up all that content for such a good price. For the cost of one brand new game I get every expansion, including the new one. Considering I've played the game for 4 years and not reached the original level cap, this means the entire purchase was 'new' content for me.

I wanted to check with my wife first to make sure I wasn't making some crazy impulse purchase, because she's really good at helping me realize when I'm being stupid. Her comment actually provided some unique insight into LotRO for me. She was immediately on board with me buying the games once I explained the deal stating that: I always go back to this game, no matter what I'm playing (primarily WoW). She also said I've never said one bad thing about the game, when I'm typically ranting about every little thing wrong with every other MMO. Kinda made me go 'huh'...maybe I should be spending more time playing LotRO. Then again, that's probably why I never complain about it haha.
    BAD WOLF

the other game I have played doesn't work that way (or didn't when I played it).
    Most MMO's makes you pay for Expansions. Or at least require you to pay for something from that Expansion. World of Warcraft requires subscribers to buy all the expansions, CoH did this as well. Rift doesn't make you pay for some expansions, but you do have to pay for the new classes released with them.

I can understand being confused, but like I said it's not that uncommon actually.

because she's really good at helping me realize when I'm being stupid.
    I think that's in the job description for most wives. "Let your husband know when he's being stupid."

Myself I'm kinda caught between the half price package being a good deal or not. I already own Moria, and signed up for a 3 month sub. With the points I had when I came back plus the 1500 for the sub... I have enough to pay for Mirkwood and Isengard. So it's $20 down the road for Rohan, since my highest level is only 43... Or $20 more now for everything, leaving me with a lot of TP to spend... But I'm just not sure I can justify another $60 on top the $30 I already spent on the 3 month sub.

Myself I'm kinda caught between the half price package being a good deal or not. I already own Moria, and signed up for a 3 month sub. With the points I had when I came back plus the 1500 for the sub... I have enough to pay for Mirkwood and Isengard. So it's $20 down the road for Rohan, since my highest level is only 43... Or $20 more now for everything, leaving me with a lot of TP to spend... But I'm just not sure I can justify another $60 on top the $30 I already spent on the 3 month sub.
    I was trying to decide of doing some subscription time or getting this deal. Even though I have subscribed in the past, I don't really like to do it. I prefer getting points when they are doing specials for extra bonuses or to get deals on the content like this. While a sub would have been a better price for the short term, as it's likely I will only play for a month and then take time off again, in the long run this just beats it out.

It may have an added effect of finally making me get off my smell the roses butt and get one character to max to see what I've missed over 4 years.
    BAD WOLF