We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Volume 2, Epilogue Greyhammers

So let me get this straight....

Lúth Greyhammer wants us to travel throughout Middle Earth, finding and defeating a single Orc, goblin, or uruk in all the regions in which a Greyhammer has been wronged. Ok...

And to do this, Turbine Developers had to introduce goblins in the Trollshaws and Forochel BECAUSE NO ORCS, GOBLINS, OR URUKS EXISTED THERE PREVIOUSLY TO WRONG A GREYHAMMER?

Does anybody else think that was a pretty dumb idea?

Do the Turbine Developers actually realize what a dumb idea that was?

Sheesh. Really? You couldn't just constrain this to the regions where all of us have had to fight orcs, goblins, or uruks because that would be such an amazingly logical thing to do? *sigh*
    Gilgorandir, the Elven Hunter - Serving Windfola since November, 2007

Exclamation

"For the Greyhammers! You cry as you kill a orc."

I am prety sure that i run into them way before that quest existed but again i am a wanderer & i love to explore every corner of Middle Earth. Sometimes i get in trouble running into those mobs that no one noticed before. The goblins of Trollshaw made me run for my life the 1st time i meet them when my Rune Keeper was level 20 & level cap was 60. I also found the Forochel goblins before Mirkwood was anywhere in the map & wondered if there was a corner in Middle Earth that wasn't infected with orc kind & why there was as many good hearted elves instead . All the evil mobs were also more abundant & have more moral.
    Is this Alternate Character Disorder? :

Quote Originally Posted by YamydeAragon View Post
    "For the Greyhammers! You cry as you kill a orc."

I am prety sure that i run into them way before that quest existed but again i am a wanderer & i love to explore every corner of Middle Earth. Sometimes i get in trouble running into those mobs that no one noticed before. The goblins of Trollshaw made me run for my life the 1st time i meet them when my Rune Keeper was level 20 & level cap was 60. I also found the Forochel goblins before Mirkwood was anywhere in the map & wondered if there was a corner in Middle Earth that wasn't infected with orc kind & why there was as many good hearted elves instead . All the evil mobs were also more abundant & have more moral.
    Your memory is defective. There were no Goblins in Forochel or Trollshaws before Mirkwood launched. These mobs were added as part of the Siege of Mirkwood expansion patch so that we could do this quest.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

MadeOfLions is offline The Lord of the Rings Online Team
    Turbine, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by KnightWatch View Post
    I think Lúth may have been exaggerating somewhat about his family's perceived slights, and Tandri points out to you at the end that it might have been rather foolish of you to humour him in that crusade. But setting that aside, I wouldn't say there were *never* any Orcs or goblins in the Trollshaws or Forochel during the long history of the Greyhammer clan, just that there might not have been any during the waning months of T.A. 3018. A number of them entered those regions at the onset of 3019, which is convenient for those of you helping Lúth with his mission.

MoL

Quote Originally Posted by KnightWatch View Post
    So let me get this straight....

Lúth Greyhammer wants us to travel throughout Middle Earth, finding and defeating a single Orc, goblin, or uruk in all the regions in which a Greyhammer has been wronged. Ok...

And to do this, Turbine Developers had to introduce goblins in the Trollshaws and Forochel BECAUSE NO ORCS, GOBLINS, OR URUKS EXISTED THERE PREVIOUSLY TO WRONG A GREYHAMMER?

Does anybody else think that was a pretty dumb idea?

Sheesh. Really? You couldn't just constrain this to the regions where all of us have had to fight orcs, goblins, or uruks because that would be such an amazingly logical thing to do? *sigh*
    The quest is a pain to do, as it takes so long, which is why I only did it on my main, but it's just a bit of fun, no need to create a forum post moaning about it :P
    - Taravan, R12 Captain - Tirian, Tanking Guardian - Tolvax, Champion - And others...
    - Afranius, R9 WL - Tolobain, R7 Weaver - Vargan, R6 Stalker -

Leader of Lost Realm of Imladris - Evernight - Co-Founder of Beauty and the Beasts

Quote Originally Posted by Tirian-Hammerfist View Post
    The quest is a pain to do, as it takes so long, which is why I only did it on my main, but it's just a bit of fun, no need to create a forum post moaning about it :P
    Takes so long? o.O

You're going to be in those zones heading from Mirkwood to Rivendell to start Volume 3, then in moving through the rest of the zones to do Book 1.

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfLions View Post
    I think Lúth may have been exaggerating somewhat about his family's perceived slights, and Tandri points out to you at the end that it might have been rather foolish of you to humour him in that crusade. But setting that aside, I wouldn't say there were *never* any Orcs or goblins in the Trollshaws or Forochel during the long history of the Greyhammer clan, just that there might not have been any during the waning months of T.A. 3018. A number of them entered those regions at the onset of 3019, which is convenient for those of you helping Lúth with his mission.

MoL

I have done this quest three or four times, and actually quite enjoyed it. I usually tried to do it without using swift travel or ports, but took a break to re-visit all the regions and think of the times spent levelling there. I call it the "nostalgia odyssey".

At first I also was confused by the goblins in Trollshaws and Forochel. The group in the Trollshaws is just over the river from the goblin infested Lone Lands, so I like to think of them as a scouting expedition that has crossed the river. The spot chosen for the goblins in Forochel is a bit unsuitable, IMO, the long and empty passage up from Evendim would have been more logical. Off the top of my hand I can think of two places there where a band of goblins could have been placed without impeding travellers heading up to Forochel the first time.

But I don't think MoL will change that after so much water has flown down the Anduin...
    in my thoughts and in my dreams they´re always in my mind
    these songs of hobbits, dwarves and men and elves
    come close your eyes
    you can see them, too - Blind Guardian, Bards tale

Quote Originally Posted by BelamanthDE View Post
    The group in the Trollshaws is just over the river from the goblin infested Lone Lands, so I like to think of them as a scouting expedition that has crossed the river.
    Keep in mind, there are Orcs in the cave that the Volume 3, Book 1 sends you to. So, you don't have to hunt down any Goblins in Trollshaws if you do both quests simultaneously. And, there isn't any reason not to do them simultaneously.

The quickest way to get an orc in the Trollshaws is to fire up the Bruinen skirmish and kill one of the defilers as soon as they run into play, then exit instance (or play through the skirmish, if you enjoy such things ). Similar instance tricks apply to other zones - use Tuckborough for the Shire, pop into CD or Uru for Angmar, etc.

Forochel is by far the most annoying of the Greyhammer zones, largely due to the severely lacking swift travel network to and within that zone (as has been discussed in many other threads).

Reason not to do III.1 and Greyhammers simultaneously - the generally valid assumption that one will never see SG on any given character, thus not bothering with any of the other II.9.Epilogue quests either. The level 65 LI scrolls (Greyhammers gives empowerment, IIRC?) are pretty meaningless now, with leveling so fast even without xp boosts...

Quote Originally Posted by J_Howell View Post
    Forochel is by far the most annoying of the Greyhammer zones, largely due to the severely lacking swift travel network to and within that zone (as has been discussed in many other threads).
    But, there is.

After killing a Goblin outside of Tinnudir, run to Ost Forod. Swift Travel to Kauppa-Khota, kill a Goblin, travel back, then travel to Suri-Kyla.
    Easy peasy for those that plan ahead.
    The level 65 LI scrolls (Greyhammers gives empowerment, IIRC?) are pretty meaningless now, with leveling so fast even without xp boosts...
    I don't know about you, but I keep the lvl 65 SA Class item from Enedwaith till I get to level 85.

Quote Originally Posted by HaleElven View Post
    But, there is.

After killing a Goblin outside of Tinnudir, run to Ost Forod. Swift Travel to Kauppa-Khota, kill a Goblin, travel back, then travel to Suri-Kyla.
    Easy peasy for those that plan ahead.

I don't know about you, but I keep the lvl 65 SA Class item from Enedwaith till I get to level 85.
    Interesting, that swift travel didn't exist back when I did this quest. And the game doesn't count the Kauppa-kohta stable as being discovered for purposes of the new swift travel route. You have to go there by slow travel to "rediscover" the stable you've already been to multiple times over the years, and when you swift travel back to Ost Forod (which also didn't exist as an option before...) you can swift to K-k. So new players do have it much easier than what I wrote earlier. Good to know.

I only kept the level 65 SA class item until 85 on my burglar. My characters all got it when the cap was either 65 or (for the last couple - oddly enough, the ones who skipped this quest ) 75. In all but that one case a year at 75 meant they scrapped it for a 75 SA. For some classes today, eh, I guess I could see keeping it for 20 levels. Champs and burgs most likely; most of the rest seem very iffy to me. And if you keep a level 65 warden javelin until 85, you're just plain doing it wrong. Mounted combat will be extremely painful one way or the other - either gimped dps but able to use range attacks in Riddermark, or stuck doing melee mounted combat in Red Dawn or Rohirrim.

Quote Originally Posted by J_Howell View Post
    And if you keep a level 65 warden javelin until 85, you're just plain doing it wrong.
    Of course not on my warden. He was the first one through to pick up the SA LI for the next character to get leveled.

Besides, someone had to be able to solo CD and Uru to get the Class quest items.