We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Crafting food from Fish by all players with Fishing Hobby

Consider the fisherman plight of not being able to craft food from their catch if they are not a Tinker: Cook craft class.
    Perhaps limited trail food with Fish ingredient could be made by all players at every campfire in Middle Earth if they have Fishing Hobby skill.

Tinker: Cook at times are difficult to find that will cook up a few Dish dishes.
    Recent experience in one server resulted in several players scoffing at the request to have fish cakes crafted.
    One player actually took time to come back after 30 min or so to ask if anyone else responded to the request...none had.
    They made the fish cakes eventually. which was very much appreciated.
    [CENTER]"No News is Good News"

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c000000256f89/01004/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by DTaraborn View Post
    Consider the fisherman plight of not being able to craft food from their catch if they are not a Tinker: Cook craft class.
    You are aware that Yeoman vocation exists... Right? You know, the vocation that is centered on Cooking, since it also has Farming (and Tailor).

Anyway, the fish trail food is over looked is a) the resources are harder to find a consistent source of ingredients (as opposed to Farming), and the will and vitality are sub-par to their single stat Farmer grown counter parts. If someone really wants will/vit food, they can just get them from Wildermore Cooks and their single use recipes.
    Last edited by HaleElven; Oct 26 2013 at 11:00 PM.

Crafting food from Fish by all players with Fishing Hobby

Hi,
    I think that HaleElven is right about the resources are harder to find a consistent source of ingredients (as opposed to Farming), and the will and vitality are sub-par to their single stat Farmer grown counter parts.
    Last edited by Isdring; Dec 26 2013 at 02:06 AM.

As a role play item it would be awesome for every fisherman to have the ability to cook "something" out of the fish themselves.

It could be some sort of standard meal in the Hobby menu area made from any cook able fish (fish and chips perhaps) and after consuming 100 of these specific food items an emote is granted like "full belly" or something of that nature.
    [URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/JayDeeHobbit/media/LOTROs-1.jpg.html][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/JayDeeHobbit/LOTROs-1.jpg~original[/IMG][/URL]
    [color=limegreen][b]Wulfgrim Ghastban, Hrothwine and Galdrefyst of Rohan - Peckish of the Shire -- Riddermark[/b][/color]
    “I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend” JRRT

Quote Originally Posted by DTaraborn View Post
    Perhaps limited trail food with Fish ingredient could be made by all players at every campfire in Middle Earth if they have Fishing Hobby skill.

Tinker: Cook at times are difficult to find that will cook up a few Dish dishes.
    Recent experience in one server resulted in several players scoffing at the request to have fish cakes crafted.
    One player actually took time to come back after 30 min or so to ask if anyone else responded to the request...none had.
    They made the fish cakes eventually. which was very much appreciated.
    Sorry to necro, but this is a great idea. I was about to post a new thread on fishing when I saw this and decided it was better than what I was going to say.

Just because there is a cooking craft doesn't mean that everyone else can't boil water or fry a fish. And a hobby gives you a skill. I'm thinking some kind of "levels with you" food would be right. It would certainly develop interest in fishing. The different levels of fish could give various percentages of the buff, only 5% for the lowest level maybe, 50% at golden mullet level, 100% at carp? The buff itself will have to be designed and balanced by Turbine of course. Assuming they like the idea.

I'm thinking about something that scales with you like Dale Men's crams, but not necessarily regen food. Could be any buff that applies to all classes. Currently it's the will-based classes that are into fishing, and only at low-mid levels. This would update fishing nicely.
    Last edited by gripply; Feb 01 2014 at 05:37 PM.

My tinker wants y'all to know that if you want her to cook your fish, YOU have to clean and fillet it first. With that in mind, if you really want additional skills added to fishing, add scaling and filleting to the mix.

Or maybe lure-tying. Lures could be used to increase the chances of success in catching trophy or edible fish, like a weaponsmith's or jeweler's journal for crit success with single-use recipes. Lures could be made from tier-based hooks (made by metalsmiths or weaponsmiths?) and tier-based threads available from the expert tailor NPCs. There would need to be a source of feathers--maybe from bird mob kills. Maybe sickle-fly and neekerbreeker wings could be incorporated as well.

For that matter, lure-tying could be a separate hobby altogether, since it is a hobby IRL for many people. Whether it's la lore-appropriate activity would be up to someone like Berephon to decide. Fly-fishing has been popular in the British Isles for a couple of centuries at least. Whether it goes back to the Middle Ages I couldn't say.

Pottery shards from prehistoric times show fish scales being used as decoration. They were found in the Vinca region of Europe (modern day Croatia or thereabout). But that's a digression... It's lore both to fish and to use coney and taters.. and Samwise wasn't any kind of special crafting cook. He used basic hobbit knowhow and a campfire. I hope we can credit all our characters with basic common sense enough to cook their fish and catch a coney and cook it on a campfire to avoid starvation.

I like the idea of lures. Bait is already part of the game. But the legend is that it doesn't work or help anything. Lures that actually help would be good. Maybe it would give the dev's something to do with the "Perfect Jade Gem" item which is just a junk item now. Shiny gems for lures? Task items that can also be used as lures?

Samwise was most definitely a Yeoman! He just didn't have much opportunity to farm and suffered a lack of available Ovens so he had to stick to Trail Food...

Quote Originally Posted by Cadd_EU View Post
    Samwise was most definitely a Yeoman! He just didn't have much opportunity to farm and suffered a lack of available Ovens so he had to stick to Trail Food...

Touche!

Instead of or in addition to lure (fly) tying hunting for worms at night would be good... again to increase crit chance while fishing.

Also, the fishing hobby is good for RP and for the titles if that's what you're in to... but the crafted recipes that use the caught fish need to yield more interesting and useful food to make it more compelling to invest the time in fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by AKAGooF View Post
    Instead of or in addition to lure (fly) tying hunting for worms at night would be good... again to increase crit chance while fishing.

Also, the fishing hobby is good for RP and for the titles if that's what you're in to... but the crafted recipes that use the caught fish need to yield more interesting and useful food to make it more compelling to invest the time in fishing.
    Back when the game was "medieval" (hard) I played my mini all the time because healing was more important for survival. I've only ever played casually. I remember a sense of loss when the food became unhelpful at higher levels. The recipes from the Lossoth are a really good starting point, and I wish they'd continued in that line of thought.

Maybe flying fish casserole prevents falling damage? Since so many places involve cliff diving intentionally (parts of Moria come to mind as the first area where jumping like a lemming makes your life easier sometimes), that would be a fun feature to add to the food, especially if you're just visiting Moria to do the crafting gathering instances, and aren't that concerned about the mobs hurting you. Just one example of a fun possible addition.

It's a dangerous suggestion, likely to draw grumpy "Mario" accusations I've read before... but what if the flying fish food also gave you better jumping ability? Like for those rare jumping quests? Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by gripply View Post
    100% at carp?
    Ugh, who wants to eat carp?
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq358/drschplatt/sig-lotro95.jpg[/IMG]
    [URL="http://www.osf.guildlaunch.com"]The Order of The Silver Flame[/URL] - A fun, mature, helpful and friendly kin. Come join us on Silverlode!
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Widoch View Post
    Ugh, who wants to eat carp?
    Maybe you could get some sort of spectacular crit bonus if you successfully removed all the bones from it? Although, carp could be useful in other ways. The pond outside the south Bree gate could use a school of grass carp to deal with the weeds.