We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What were they thinking allowing war steeds everywhere?

In my opinion, allowing war steeds outside of Rohan seems to be to have been one of the dumbest moves the developers have made.

Since they are faster than regular mounts anyone who has them -will- ride them--exclusively. Even if you like your old horses, it won't be long before the extra speed makes them not worth the trouble. This means non-war steeds are never used except for the most RP'ish, or horsey-ish, players. I haven't ridden any from my large stable of regular mounts in ages, anywhere, where I used to change them up regularly. Now, the cosmetic fun isn't worth the speed hit. And from talking to others, I'm not alone. It has eviscerated the use of all the regular mounts for players that have ascended to war steed level.

Also (though a lesser problem) traveling with anyone without a war steed in lower zones means you have to wait up all the time--there's now a huge disparity in speeds if you happen to be helping a kin mate or just traveling with a lower level player.

They should have simply restricted war steeds to Rohan. Or, failing that, reduced their speed in the non-Rohan areas to make them no better than the non-war steed mounts there.

Instead, they've killed my interest in non-war steeds because I simply never use them anymore, which is a shame, and I'm betting a loss of Store income. They could have had me buying both War Steed goodies and the occasional non-war steed. Now it's only the former. Silly move, Turbine!
    I7-950, Sabertooth X58, 6950, 840SSD (250gig), 6gb ram, 1920x1200 28i, Win 8

I use my regular mounts in any town including the ones in Rohan because they are a lot easier to steer.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

i don't understand the problem, maby because i have lags.
    i'm using non-war steeds in cities and mountains because they are moving like drunk dwarves and i will fall from a cliff or hit a city object every second. in small areas, like the buried treasure event area or other festival areas like the horse fields, i'm using it too.
    war steeds i'm using only in open plains, and i don't undrstand why you simply can't resist using war steed. if you don't want to use it, don't use it.
    the second problem is pretty ridiculous. if you want to travel with someone that don't have a war steed, don't use a war steed. as simple as that. you two will progress at the same speed, because you will have to wait for the other person.
    the only thing i agree with is that the store income will reduce. i will never buy a store steed if i will know that after getting a war steed, which will be the most of the time i spend in the game because i will keep playing my character long long after level 75, until level cap and then 95 and more. so i will not spend a huge amount of turbine points, 2000, for a steed i know i will not use too much.

Nobody is forcing you to use Warsteeds outside of Rohan. It simply allows you the option to if you so desire. Evidently you don't desire it, but doing it anyway is all on you. Blaming Turbine for giving people options is ridiculous.

On a related note, creating duplicate Warsteed cosmetics for the various rep horses would be nice. No doubt it'd be a lot of work though. :/
    [LEFT][COLOR=#ffffff]Morlenil Barkolomew Turmuz Shurz Gruubluk

Posting in white; so people can read my dismal ramblings easier.[/COLOR][/LEFT]

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    I use my regular mounts in any town including the ones in Rohan because they are a lot easier to steer.
    Not me. Wastes too much time, it's easier just to slow to a trot if I'm having problems (though I don't really have too many any more). And even in a town--if I'm heading from one end to the other, the speed of a war steed at full gallop is too seductive for me to waste time dismounting, re-mounting, and then riding slow.

In any case, if they are short distances in town I'll usually dismount completely and just run on foot.
    I7-950, Sabertooth X58, 6950, 840SSD (250gig), 6gb ram, 1920x1200 28i, Win 8

I rarely use my War-stead at all.

The only time really is when I need to fight mounted enemies that are too powerful to fight on foot, which is rarely these days.
    How to get help on the Tech Forums and how to contact Turbine

Please reply to the topic or PM me if a solution I posted works for you: The more data I can gather the better I can help.

Income

As for the store, income issue. I think that they said if you buy a regular mount it comes with the appropriate skin to your war-steed. I think, I am not sure, so do not take my word for grant...

I use the regular horse for in town and in areas with rough terrain where the trip is short (like the treasure hunt area). The regular horse is faster in these areas because of less rubber-banding and tighter steering. The warsteed's speed really only shows its benefit when travelling on roads or flat countryside (like from town to town). Of course, the dps on the warsteed is way higher than on foot so it's also useful to use the warsteed to fight in places like Wildermere. I still care about and use the cosmetic horses on all my characters. Plus, you don't even get the warsteed until level 75, so cosmetic horses would still be important for that reason.

I usually don't use either my warstead nor my regular horses. When In towns I usually just run on my own two little legs from place to place. I've never understood the "need for speed" that so many MMO gamers have.

Quote Originally Posted by daneyul View Post
    In my opinion, allowing war steeds outside of Rohan seems to be to have been one of the dumbest moves the developers have made.
    ...Why?

Since they are faster than regular mounts anyone who has them -will- ride them--exclusively. Even if you like your old horses, it won't be long before the extra speed makes them not worth the trouble. This means non-war steeds are never used except for the most RP'ish, or horsey-ish, players. I haven't ridden any from my large stable of regular mounts in ages, anywhere, where I used to change them up regularly. Now, the cosmetic fun isn't worth the speed hit. And from talking to others, I'm not alone. It has eviscerated the use of all the regular mounts for players that have ascended to war steed level.
    My characters with the warsteed use the regular mounts all the time for navigating cities and such. I use the warsteed for mounted combat or when I have a lot of ground to cover that's not going to involve a lot of turning.

Also (though a lesser problem) traveling with anyone without a war steed in lower zones means you have to wait up all the time--there's now a huge disparity in speeds if you happen to be helping a kin mate or just traveling with a lower level player.
    Then put away the warhorse and get on a regular steed. There. Now you won't get too far ahead of your kinmate. Plus, its just a courteous thing to do.

They should have simply restricted war steeds to Rohan. Or, failing that, reduced their speed in the non-Rohan areas to make them no better than the non-war steed mounts there.
    Once again, you've failed to explain why this is such a big deal. It's not game breaking in the slightest. People aren't "going to use the war-steeds all the time", rather they'll recognize there are situations (such as your helping a lower level kinmate) that call for usage of regular steeds. This is not a problem.

Instead, they've killed my interest in non-war steeds because I simply never use them anymore, which is a shame, and I'm betting a loss of Store income. They could have had me buying both War Steed goodies and the occasional non-war steed. Now it's only the former. Silly move, Turbine!
    I think I've addressed why this is a non-issue already. You're assuming the entire playerbase thinks you all and it clearly doesn't.
    Crickhollow Server:
    Evenhald: L85 Minstrel Armaius: L76 Loremaster. Gaheriad: L81 Hunter Malhion: L74 Captain

I always thought it would be an awesome move by Turbine if they could some how allow you to make your war steed look like ANY of the regular mounts you already have. Not just with the normal cosmetic stuff you can do, but say a full body skin for your war steed.

However any such idea would probably just be for store items and the current cosmetic system for the war steeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Armaius View Post
    ...Why?

My characters with the warsteed use the regular mounts all the time for navigating cities and such. I use the warsteed for mounted combat or when I have a lot of ground to cover that's not going to involve a lot of turning.

Then put away the warhorse and get on a regular steed. There. Now you won't get too far ahead of your kinmate. Plus, its just a courteous thing to do.

Once again, you've failed to explain why this is such a big deal. It's not game breaking in the slightest. People aren't "going to use the war-steeds all the time", rather they'll recognize there are situations (such as your helping a lower level kinmate) that call for usage of regular steeds. This is not a problem.

I think I've addressed why this is a non-issue already. You're assuming the entire playerbase thinks you all and it clearly doesn't.
    This sums up my approach to the OP exactly. I don't see war steed availability as a problem either.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    Indeed. Besides I worked too hard for my rep steeds not to use 'em. War Steeds are too wonky still to use in non combat situations. I'll get there just fine without the War Steed.
    Today is a good day for Pie.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

I never use my warsteed unless I absolutely have to, I'm not a big fan of mounted combat at all.
    Council Of The West On Snowbourn

Runesi lvl 100 Rune Keeper

I don't know how anyone can stand using a war steed given the sound they make now. Why did they have to change it. Now it sounds like suction cups or something. LOL Just awful.
    It's not Teal... it's [SIZE=3][COLOR=#00ffff][B]CYAN[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]!

I stick with a normal mount because my it doesn't teleport me across the world.
    [center]Superior Grand Master Spectator of Wall-Paint Drying[/center]

No, not even close

1. you can slow your war steed using the down arrow key.
    2. you could try selecting the person you're travelling with and using /follow
    3. The genii at the lotro store allow you to purchase war steed cosmetics for even more TP than normal steeds! Yay!
    Elendilmir - 95 Hunter Berenthalion - 80ish Burg Berendybuck - baby warden Berenion.

Worst Reaver on the server BerendyBash - R4

I love my warsteed and its changeable appearance but it drives like a bloated spaceship in town, slipsliding here and there and is too annoying for regular traveling duties. So outside of WBs I dont use it anymore, even in towns in WS country. I do use one of my 80+ regular steeds mostly, wishing that my WS was more maneuverable so I could use it more. so kinda the flips side of what you were saying there OP in my case.

on the otherhand, I am so tired of the whole lotr horse thing. over 100 mounts with mostly the same base body design is beyond boring, unimaginative and lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Laweh View Post
    on the otherhand, I am so tired of the whole lotr horse thing. over 100 mounts with mostly the same base body design is beyond boring, unimaginative and lazy.
    What different body were you thinking a horse would have other than a horses body?

Please reply to the topic or PM me if a solution I posted works for you: The more data I can gather the better I can help.

So what? Do you think the regular mounts are going to be offended that they're not being ridden?
    If you give away gold bars, someone will complain they're too heavy.
    .: Dannach, 100 WDN :.: Daire, 83 LMR :.: Gyrefalcon, 92 CHN :.: Brandon, 72 CPT :.: Honey, 71 GRD :.: Griffon, 69 HNT :.: Kaelenea, 72 RNK :.
    .: Iryth, 56 WDN :.: Baye, 56 WDN :.: Samtal, 64 WDN :.:Dunnock, 56 WDN :.: Sedgewald, 68 LMR :.: Breyon, 41 CHN :.: Tieran, 50 HNT :.

I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul.
    Might as well face it, I'm addicted to WDN

there are heavy draft horses, thin agile horses, tall thick horses, pot bellied horses, racing horses,er.. just google horse types eh. not all horses are tan standard sized.

Quote Originally Posted by Laweh View Post
    there are heavy draft horses, thin agile horses, tall thick horses, pot bellied horses, racing horses,er.. just google horse types eh. not all horses are tan standard sized.
    And not all of those are rideable.

This is the Professor's world of Middle Earth and not the world you know, not all things you know exist in it.

I don't even use my Warsteed in Rohan so this is a non-issue for me.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000029110f/signature.png]Orladan[/charsig]

I don't see any problem about allowing War-steed to roam around outside of Rohan. If you don't like to ride War-steed, then don't ride one unless your quests require it. That's all.

If a newbie see a War-steed, he will think it as an upgrade of regular mount which he can achieve at higher level, just like LI is an upgrade of normal item. Let people max level ride around lowbie areas may actually encourage newbies to stick to the game.

Btw, I think that Gandalf was the first one who rode his War-steed Shadowfax outside of Rohan. Blame him for your frustration,

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast