We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Beware of upgrading to Windows 8.1

Thought I would give a warning about this.

I just upgraded today and found out there is an issue with Windows 8.1 and the mouse while playing games.

It is adversely affecting LotRO. Until today LotRO and my mouse working perfect.

After installing the 8.1 patch clicking my mouse buttons while moving in-combat causes the screen to jump. It suddenly jumps from normal view angle to looking straight down onto my characters head.

Playing LotRO is now very frustrating.

At first I did not know why this was happening, but I did some searching on the Web and there are many huge threads on gaming forums, such as WoW and Steam, about this issue.

There are some articles that discuss it and offer some possible workarounds but from reading the WoW thread it doesn't seem like the workarounds work.

I want to try the one workaround but I don't know which EXE file(s) to change. According to TomsHardware it might fix the problem by setting the games EXE file to run in compatibility mode for Win 8 or 7.

Which EXE file though? In the Turbine folder there are about seven different ones, all with different names, like: launcher, evoker, etc.

Here is the article (it only mentions mouse-lag, which I am not getting, but the most annoying and prevalent problem seems to be the one I am having with viewpoint jumping:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/mou...uty,24789.html

Windows 8.1 May Cause Mouse Lag in Some Games
    By Kevin ParrishOCTOBER 22, 2013 3:40 PM

... a way to possibly fix the mouse issue is to right-click on the EXE of the game in question, go to Properties, go to the Compatibility tab, and check "run this program in compatibility mode for" and select "Windows 8." Also check "disable scaling of high DPI settings" and check "run this program as an administrator." This method may or may not solve the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by enginekid88 View Post
    Which EXE file though? In the Turbine folder there are about seven different ones, all with different names, like: launcher, evoker, etc.

So, I'm not sure about how well the workaround will work, but the correct exe is lotroclient.exe. In the future, to find this out, you would start the game, then after the game has loaded, you would alt-tab out and start the task manager (not sure what the equivalent is called in windows 8). You would find the game in the applications, right click the entry and click on 'Go to Process'. That will take you to the exe that is running the game. Good luck!
    “There is no triumph without loss, no victory without sacrifice, no freedom without suffering.” ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

Thanks for the help. I tried all compatibility variations of Windows 7 and Windows 8 and nothing helped.

I guess it's either wait for a fix from Microsoft or wipe my hard-drive and re-install everyone except 8.1

I am not looking forward to the latter, and will not hold my breath for a fix from MS, so I am screwed either way.

I doubt its a fix required on MS end, but rather programs which have a desire to be compatible with windows 8.1 need to be updated, and since I'm sure Turbine will wish LOTRO to run smooth on 8.1 you'll likely have to wait until november 18th to likely see a fix.

Microsoft doesn't have to make their OS compatible with other companies programs, those companies have to make their program compatible with Microsofts OS - its always been like that.
    [center][img]http://gameofgeeks.com/ithsignature.png[/img][/center]

I tried 4 times to get W8.1 and gave up. It seems to be a trickle download and one disconnect means starting over, and apparently it takes a couple days to download.
    Last edited by manstan; Oct 23 2013 at 06:22 PM.

Actually, 8.1 has an issue with mouse acceleration, which is why people in many areas are finding the issue where one small movement of the mouse can equal a massive movement of the cursor.

There are various comments on this when you search Google, with a few pages offering fixes.
    Give a guy a pound of gold...he'll complain about how heavy it is.
    Enmity of Forum Trolls: 106/5000 Of the Egaads clan

Quote Originally Posted by DarkCntry View Post
    Actually, 8.1 has an issue with mouse acceleration
    It's not just mouse accel

I just upgraded today and found out there is an issue with Windows 8.1 and the mouse while playing games.
    With your permission, good Enginekid, I'll modify your statement just a tad.

Don't upgrade to Windows 8 ANYTHING.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    With your permission, good Enginekid, I'll modify your statement just a tad.

Can't argue with that, I really miss W7.

Quote Originally Posted by Lashmore View Post
    Microsoft doesn't have to make their OS compatible with other companies programs, those companies have to make their program compatible with Microsofts OS - its always been like that.
    They don't have to, but it's very good marketing and business sense to do so. After all they are promoting the idea of their operating system as a means of running arbitrary programs that work without customer headaches. That's the way it has always been and to change now would be rather short sighted.

Agreed that if there are NEW features in an OS then programs need to be modified, but to arbitrarily change an existing feature is a bad idea. Of course it could always be a bug, in which case one would expect a bug fix, but with Microsoft's current attitudes this may be unlikely.

Also if they took this too far they could abuse their monopoly position and face legal issues. Ie, what if iTunes stopped working on Windows suddenly, or Chrome, and Microsoft claimed that Apple and Google needed to upgrade their programs?

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    Outside of Metro (which is what 8.1 alleviated, and creative users haven't had to worry about from Day 1), 8 is far superior to all previous Windows OS releases in terms of what is taking place under-the-hood. The memory management alone is reason enough for most to upgrade to Windows 8 now that Metro isn't a requirement.
    Give a guy a pound of gold...he'll complain about how heavy it is.
    Enmity of Forum Trolls: 106/5000 Of the Egaads clan

Quote Originally Posted by Lohi View Post
    They don't have to, but it's very good marketing and business sense to do so. After all they are promoting the idea of their operating system as a means of running arbitrary programs that work without customer headaches. That's the way it has always been and to change now would be rather short sighted.

Agreed that if there are NEW features in an OS then programs need to be modified, but to arbitrarily change an existing feature is a bad idea. Of course it could always be a bug, in which case one would expect a bug fix, but with Microsoft's current attitudes this may be unlikely.

Also if they took this too far they could abuse their monopoly position and face legal issues. Ie, what if iTunes stopped working on Windows suddenly, or Chrome, and Microsoft claimed that Apple and Google needed to upgrade their programs?
    You missed the "it's always been like that"

Yes anyone and their dog would agree things could be done better another way, but in the end "its always been like that"
    [center][img]http://gameofgeeks.com/ithsignature.png[/img][/center]

Quote Originally Posted by DarkCntry View Post
    Outside of Metro (which is what 8.1 alleviated, and creative users haven't had to worry about from Day 1), 8 is far superior to all previous Windows OS releases in terms of what is taking place under-the-hood. The memory management alone is reason enough for most to upgrade to Windows 8 now that Metro isn't a requirement.
    When I first upgraded to win 8 from win 7 it was a shock and took a few days to get used to, but once used to it, going back to 7 would be like stepping back in time.

Now I'm used to the changes I think it's quicker and easier to do things than in all previous versions of windows.

I did a fresh install of win 8 64 pro with media centre on Saturday, then upgraded to 8.1.

I then installed office 2007,
    adobe CS4 (minus flash)
    Firefox
    Thunderbird
    opera
    Safari
    Kindle
    Handbrake
    Itunes
    Imgburn
    PS3 media server
    Combined community codec pack
    Logitec G510 keyboard
    Razer Naga mouse
    Printer
    etc

I then installed all my music software such as Komplete 9 Ultimate, Omnisphere, Cubase 7 64, Halion 5 etc

Finally I installed 24 games and run each one to set up screen res etc. Mainly Steam games, a few Origin games and of course Lotro

Absolutely everything works 100% perfectly, running dual monitors with my main monitor running at 2560x1440

97% of people I now in real life that have said windows 8 is ####, have never tried it and are bassing this on what some bloke told them down the pub. Most of the others hate MS regardless of what version of windows it is and run Linux or have Macs.

I can understand businesses not being keen on it, but for the home user, spend a few days getting used to it, setting it up how you want, I would be surprised if most people who took the time to do this, ever wanted to go back to 7 or earlier.

I've also read a lot of misinformation about it such as people saying you have to have a MS account to get/install 8.1 which is simply not true, I only ever have had a local account.

Yes, apparently people have very different views of W8. I find it cumbersome and clumsy. I don't use a tablet so don't need the touch start screen; I assume that is the "metro" people are referring to. I don't need W8 telling me it has other options to open a file format, then takes you to them so I have to go back to the start to get back to the desk top I was just at. In game and in many of my CG apps I have tools/menu you use/open on the right hand side of the screen, I slide over there to use then and get the tool bar to go back to the start screen. And don't get me started on the worse then Vista security that seems to be designed to protect your computer from,... well... you.

It's a dog, if I could get W8.1 to actually finish downloading I'd jump to it, can't be worse. But so far I have yet to get the download to complete.

Quote Originally Posted by manstan View Post
    can't be worse.....
    LOL...did you read the OP?

It is adversely affecting LotRO. Until today LotRO and my mouse working perfect.

After installing the 8.1 patch clicking my mouse buttons while moving in-combat causes the screen to jump. It suddenly jumps from normal view angle to looking straight down onto my characters head.

Playing LotRO is now very frustrating.

At first I did not know why this was happening, but I did some searching on the Web and there are many huge threads on gaming forums, such as WoW and Steam, about this issue.

There are some articles that discuss it and offer some possible workarounds but from reading the WoW thread it doesn't seem like the workarounds work.

I want to try the one workaround but I don't know which EXE file(s) to change. According to TomsHardware it might fix the problem by setting the games EXE file to run in compatibility mode for Win 8 or 7.

Here is the article (it only mentions mouse-lag, which I am not getting, but the most annoying and prevalent problem seems to be the one I am having with viewpoint jumping:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/mou...uty,24789.html

You can just right click on the short cut that you use to launch Lotro and chose properties, then click the Compatibility tab put a check in the Run this program in compatibility mode for: then use the drop down window to select win 7 or XP or what ever.

I noticed the same. I first thought my mouse causes the problem but by starting another game I have seen the problem is only with LotRo. I may try this fix later when I'm home. A second one with adding some line in the reg doesn't have fixed it for me. Never change a running system
    Officer of Radix Lecti @ Laurelin (the only real taters)
    You want to know more?
    [URL]http://radixlecti.eu/[/URL]
    The wise & sociable 2012
    Hero of the small folk 2013
    Original Tundra Cub owner 2014
    The kinship that brought the hobbit to Isengard :)

Thanks for the help. I tried all compatibility variations of Windows 7 and Windows 8 and nothing helped.
    I guessed someone missed that part. It does help to read more then the first sentance
    Sapience is OK, but I liked my fierce Armored Warrior Chicken image more as a signature. Alts are RunsWith Scissors, Brokkers Anvil, ButterWort Bingor O'Crosby

I thought it was pitiful I had to run one of my CG apps in W7 compatibility to get all the features to run right on W8. The app is only 2 years old.

I tried to use Windows 8 REstore feature to wipe my hard drive and reinstall fresh Windows. It asked me for my disk so i put windows 8 pro in and it says wrong product...

So i Cant even do a fresh install now

I tried to use Windows 8 REstore feature to wipe my hard drive and reinstall fresh Windows. It asked me for my disk so i put windows 8 pro in and it says wrong product...

So i Cant even do a fresh install now
    If you have not wiped 8.1 yet, have 8.1 make a backup copy of the installation media. I think that will work.

That reminds me, I need to buy a pack of DVDs so I can do this for my own rig. Once I get my replacement drive for my 64 bit main OS installation, I am going to do this for both copies and make two disk images, just in case.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

Rarely will I ever upgrade to the latest and greatest Operating System by Microsoft. I like to stay at least one version behind. Let them work out the kinks and when a new one comes out then I'll upgrade to the version that is slightly older. Hasn't failed me yet.
    Zoofro Fireloins - Level 85 Dwarf Hunter (Active) - Landroval
    Zoofro Healfro - Level 64 Dwarf Runekeeper (Inactive) - Brandywine

Running 8.1 on my main gaming machine and on my work laptop. LOTRO has been running great on both since the upgrade for me. I haven't had any negative experience in my time using both this week. I actually reclaimed 10GB on my work laptop (running 120GB SSD) so that was great to get back, not sure what it cleaned up though. 8)

I am in IT and the worst thing I encountered was the RSAT tools for Windows Server Administration were removed (they are tied to your desktop Windows version) Microsoft already had RSAT tools for 8.1 live on their download servers. I should have checked that first, but MS had it covered ahead of time!

So far so good, I like the additional customization I have now. Boot to desktop is nice, in addition return to desktop when all 'apps' are closed. It removes more of the Start Screen from being in your face.

Certainly no harm in waiting, but I am 100% up and running right now on two different machines. On my gaming I really only play LOTRO and BF3 and they have both run flawlessly.

Arrg. did a quick search on win 8.1 and didn't see anything about it being terrible so i did the upgrade today. But now I can't run lotro and it worked fine last night!

However, my problem is different then what i have seen others reporting. I start up the launcher, log into my account, choose my server, the launcher goes away and the game window opens, it looks a little small and is all black and then in just a few seconds it disappears and the app is not in my task list. Is there something going on with lotro?

Quote Originally Posted by Julaneth View Post
    Arrg. did a quick search on win 8.1 and didn't see anything about it being terrible so i did the upgrade today. But now I can't run lotro and it worked fine last night!

However, my problem is different then what i have seen others reporting. I start up the launcher, log into my account, choose my server, the launcher goes away and the game window opens, it looks a little small and is all black and then in just a few seconds it disappears and the app is not in my task list. Is there something going on with lotro?
    Try doing a graphics setting reset via your launcher.

Upper right corner of Launcher -> Click on the Down Arrow -> Select Options -> Click on Repair Tab -> Check "Reset the game display settings" -> Click OK -> Log in normally.

If it still happens do the same thing again and if it asks to set you to DX10 mode say no.

There's some settings that cause the problem you're describing. (Usually when running in DirectX 10 mode)
    Chromite (Hunter) - Grumbletocks (Guardian) on Landroval, Appendage (Hunter) on Brandywine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast