We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Current rep/set gear being scaled to level?

Just wondering if items that we have spent alot of time/rep etc to get(Mooncandle rings, Hytbold set's, Windermore pocket etc) are being scaled to character level?
    I would be very much upset if, after getting kindred with something like 6 different factions, those items were overridden by HD gear and therefore wasting efforts put into attaining said gear.

Welcome to the grind.

“Get used to disappointment”

As far as I know the only item in the game that scales with character level so far is the HD preorder hammerhand shield.

If your stuff levels, then aside from story/camaraderie, what would you play for? There'd be no character growth/progress then, and none of the content would be the slightest challenge as your gear would be beyond it (new content is designed for landscape gear, not instance gear). In past years, all our gear was rendered obsolete.

But you are in luck this year! They have said gear from level 10 on up to 95 will scale to 95. The caveat is they will maintain the level difference.

So if you are level 85, and do one of the new Battles, your gear will scale to 95.

However, if you are foolish enough to gain a level, your gear will effectively be more like 94; at level 91 your gear would be 89, and so on until you got to 95 and your gear had 85 stats again and you wanted better, higher level gear.

The good news is, if you want to keep your current gear scaled up to 95, they just added a coupon code for the XP disabler: SLOWME Note however, you will lack five skill trait points compared to folks who are 95.

So would you rather have your current gear scaled to 95, or five more skill points?
    [center]Click here for our community [url=https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0As1T2ZXLPqhTdE05T21qYklYRFF3emVuM18zTnU0aGc&hl=en]LOTRO store pricelist, conversion rates and pictures[/url], please contribute too![/center]

Quote Originally Posted by Dramastorm View Post
    Just wondering if items that we have spent alot of time/rep etc to get(Mooncandle rings, Hytbold set's, Windermore pocket etc) are being scaled to character level?
    I would be very much upset if, after getting kindred with something like 6 different factions, those items were overridden by HD gear and therefore wasting efforts put into attaining said gear.
    Hello, welcome to a level-based MMORPG.
    The point of selling us expansions is keeping us busy until they can sell us a new expansion. And keeping us busy includes gear grinding.

Sorry to say but then you most likely will be very upset

If HD follows the same principle as RoI and RoR then every single piece of gear and all LI's you have on 85'er will be vendor-thrash around the 1'th of december (depends on how fast you level of course). Then once again maybe around february/march and a 3'd time somewhere around late summer/early fall. (The second and third time maybe not all gear wil be affected).

After this? Just wait for the next level-cap-increase late 2014 where it all starts over again.

Regards
    /T

Quote Originally Posted by RJFerret View Post
    But you are in luck this year! They have said gear from level 10 on up to 95 will scale to 95. The caveat is they will maintain the level difference.
    To clarify this: Inside Big Battles (the new instance type), characters will be scaled to level 95, including the stats from gear. This is however temporary and restricted to the Big Battles instances, when you're done you'll go back to your original level, and your gear will have its original stats. Also rewards you get will be for your original level, not for level 95. So this has no effect on landscape content or old instances.

Look at it from the bright side.
    If your existing gear is scaled then your in-game options are limited, because you won't need to work for new gear. You'll hit end-game quite soon.
    If your existing gear is not scaled then you will need to spend a lot of time in LOTRO again and again!!! Isn't it a good news?

Quote Originally Posted by evguenil View Post
    Look at it from the bright side.
    If your existing gear is scaled then your in-game options are limited, because you won't need to work for new gear. You'll hit end-game quite soon.
    If your existing gear is not scaled then you will need to spend a lot of time in LOTRO again and again!!! Isn't it a good news?
    Yes, would you, Dramastorm, rather get full gold level 85 gear and keep it until we reach the real endgame, wherever it would be - Mordor, or beyond? You wouldn't need to do any raids or craft anything else, unless there was a set bonus that you would want. That would leave you only with quests to complete and maybe run those raids once or twice. That is no fun at all.

I definatly see the logic and yes, even the fun in what you guys are saying but I guess my real beef is that I am a template builder person. I spend many hours researching,farming and fitting items together to maximize my characters effectiveness to fit my playstyle. As much as I would rather not go through all that trouble again, I guess what I should post is that I reallllllllllly hope they come out with some solo-attainable gear that is on par with raid gear this time around(also knowing early whether or not current items are being scaled will help me decide on new items to fit those slots).
    Last edited by Dramastorm; Oct 24 2013 at 03:13 PM.

I definatly see the logic and yes, even the fun in what you guys are saying but I guess my real beef is that I am a template builder person. I spend many hours researching,farming and fitting items together to maximize my characters effectiveness to fit my playstyle. As much as I would rather not go through all that trouble again, I guess what I should post is that I reallllllllllly hope they come out with some solo-attainable gear that is on par with raid gear this time around(also knowing early whether or not current items are being scaled will help me decide on new items to fit those slots).
    Me too! I have a couple of chars i group with and some i never group with. My groupers have better gear, sure, (and they need it) but i liked the possibility to get really good gear on my soloers in RoR and hope the will continue with giving soloers a way of getting good gear. But i think it is even more important to give everyone something to work for, i really hate the random system of the gold-loot today.

In short: every playstyle should have something to work against, randomness is not fun (random drops are ok, but it should not be the ONLY Option)

Regards
    /T

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias_R View Post
    Sorry to say but then you most likely will be very upset

If HD follows the same principle as RoI and RoR then every single piece of gear and all LI's you have on 85'er will be vendor-thrash around the 1'th of december (depends on how fast you level of course). Then once again maybe around february/march and a 3'd time somewhere around late summer/early fall. (The second and third time maybe not all gear wil be affected).

After this? Just wait for the next level-cap-increase late 2014 where it all starts over again.

Regards
    /T
    Unless for HD, they follow WoW style of expansion and gearing where starter HD (L86+) purple gear will have better stats than the current teal L85 gear. There are rumors that they are trying to bring back gear drops for HD quest rewards (other than just rewarding new currency tokens) but that is only viable if the gear rewards from HD quests are better than what most of the people have currently. Since they are redoing the entire class system to tree based, they may also redo gear stats system from HD levels onwards as well. Then your L85 gear may become vendor-trash on 18 Nov itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias_R View Post
    But i think it is even more important to give everyone something to work for, i really hate the random system of the gold-loot today.
    I would divide our current possibilities into three groups:

- Be a memeber of a "perfect group". It is a small or 6-man fellowship of friends within kin with perfectly defined roles. Doing different instances every day.
    - Not a member of a "perfect group", but willing to participate into grouping with random people.
    - Gave up on spending time on looking for group and do instances solo whenever possible.

I guess with Helm's Deep Turbine is going to please people from first and second group. But while the first group gets yet another several instances to play with, the second group will get a huge boost.

- Upscaling level/gear/attrib/etc... will make grouping much easier.
    - The way the people will be rewarded during Big Battles depends on your individual efforts. It will make it easier to run the instance with random people.
    - Loot dependable on your individual efforts even when you do group content

That's what I understood from all advertisements.