We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help with Research for Graduate Class - Woot, Whoot, or W00t?

Woot, w00t or whoot?

Hello my fellow gamers. I am currently doing research for my sociolinguistics class this semester on gaming language and I hope you will be able to help me out by answer the below questions.

I am studying the word woot, whoot, w00t.

What does woot mean to you?

Do you use it outside of gaming world?

If so in casual speech or on a more professional level?

How often do you play the game?
    20 hours or more a week
    15 - 20 hours a week
    10-15 hours a week
    0-10 hours a week

Is there another word out there that you use that can replace woot?

IF so what is it and what does it mean? and is it used outside of he gaming world?

Are you male or female?

Age group
    15-20
    20-30
    30-40
    40 and beyond.

Thanks,

AKA: Emmaline or Kestrelia.

Woot = a word that I do not use in any context. I do not understand what it mean. It seems to have something to do with an expression of happiness associated with an unexpected good result. I do not have a term that I use for an unexpected good result. I am not into chat displays of success or audible dsiplays via voice. If you do not something awesome you will get a "Congo Rats" or "Well Done" from me in game

If I were to do something awesome it would involve a fist pump or something similar in real life. Local to the people around me. Nothing in game qualifies as awesome. It got to be something like win the Lotto for me. Or it got to be a sporting event success like when my daughter finished a marathon run or scored a soccer goal. Pro sports will also generate cheers and like when NCSU is doing well. Boos when Carolina is whooping our behinds.

Male - 60 years old.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

WOOT - acronym for "We Own Other Team". So Woot. Don't use it outside game world normally, except when among gamer friends and when celebrating something, but still very rarely. Male, 20-30, 10-15 hours gaming.

Arrow Old Expression Still Used?

It must have been at least 10 years ago that I first saw "woot" in the conversation on the game screen. It meant "yay" - a cheer (At least that's what I supposed). Sometimes a person would type multiple woots if they were very pleased about something. The synonym I would use for it would be "sweet," also an expression I first saw on the screen. When "woot" was a new expression, sometimes I would use it in a joking way outside a game. I haven't seen it used in so long, I'd forgotten about it. I'm 40+ and spend 20+ hours a week gaming.

If I use it at all, it's more sardonic than in true jubilation. The closest related term would likely be hurray.

40+ and 15-20 hours weekly.

I always thought of it as meaning "yay!"

I really don't play right now, video card died. Before that I played maybe 20 hours a week. I'm hoping I can buy a card in January, until then sometimes I'll play on the wife's laptop.

Male, almost 50.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrelia View Post
    I imagine it to mean something like 'yippee'

No

10-15 hours a week

Yes

IF so what is it and what does it mean? and is it used outside of he gaming world?
    'Yay' is something I say a lot, sometimes 'yippee'. Both in game and in real life.

Are you male or female?
    Female

Age group
    30-40

Good luck with your research
    [URL="http://www.sigcreator.com/"]Proud Officer and band member of 'Under The Sunlit Sky'

[IMG]http://www.sigcreator.com/generatedsigs/56621691lotro_lotro08.png[/IMG][/URL]

Studying language and asking a bunch of gamers who play a Tolkien-based game? Hmm... sounds legit. Tolkien might approve. Even if he would find the language possibly odd (what would he make of internet lingo, one wonders).

What does woot mean to you?: It means 'yay!' more or less. Non-condescending.

Do you use it outside of gaming world?: In text chats with friends on occasion. It has probably slipped out once or twice in rl, with good friends.

If so in casual speech or on a more professional level?: Casual. Absolutely casual. Never formal.

How often do you play the game?: Probably 20 hours or more a week, it's hard to say. A lot of times it's more me multi-tasking with the game in the background.

Is there another word out there that you use that can replace woot? IF so what is it and what does it mean? and is it used outside of he gaming world?: Yay! And yes.

Are you male or female?: Female.

Age group: 20-30

RIP ELENDILMIR • Jingle Jangle
    Landroval
    : LAERLIN (Bio + Drawings) • LAERWEN • OLORIEL • AETHELIND (Bio + Drawing) • NETHAEL

Celebration. "Woo hoo." But it's old. Really old. Do people even say it anymore?

God, no.

10-15 hours a week

Yay.

It means yay. Yes.

Are you male or female?

Female.

20-30
    'A cage,' she said. 'To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.'

What does Woot mean to me?
    Celebration exclamation

No definatly dont use it outside world...

Play about 20-25 hours a week...if life/wife lets me *grins*

Yes in real life i usually use a range of words, woohoo, and long range of aussie slang words ranging from "you beauty" to "bloody ripper" and more, way to many to enclose here or id be translating and trying to explain its not necessary the word but how its said...which after 4 years on an American server got rather exhausting...Europeans seem to understand better but still scratch their heads...oh well

Means friggin fantastic

Male

40 going on 120 *twitches*
    Inside every old person is a young person wondering what just happened

Quote Originally Posted by GladiusDei333 View Post
    WOOT - acronym for "We Own Other Team". So Woot.
    There are actually two legends telling how this term came into being. See http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=woot

I would say, it is an expression of joy over an exceptionally well achieved success.

Greetings, Polymachos

Oh good lord, it's bad enough that the current generation feel it necessary to butcher the language and create these god awful words in the first place, they're now allowing people to actually take classes in them at school/college/university?

I truly fear for the next generation and whatever is to follow that.

If creationism is to be believed then we came from slime, and i do believe that we've peaked and we are returning from whence we came.
    Last edited by Edrogar; Oct 25 2013 at 07:45 AM.
    [I][URL="http://www.swgrp.co.uk/main/socks/"]Wet Socks & Two Smoking Hobits: the mad ramblings of Handee Pokits[/URL][/I]

Considering that you haven't asked the most important question regarding sociolinguistics in in-game social chat:

"What do you think someone impies when they use the term 'woot' in a casual conversation with you?"

I would say you are destined for a C at best unless you have a very VERY friendly relationship with the TA or the professor. Just sayin...

Quote Originally Posted by Edrogar View Post
    Oh good lord, it's bad enough that the current generation feel it necessary to butcher the language and create these god awful words in the first place, they're now allowing people to actually take classes in them at school/college/university?

If creationism is to be believed then we came from slime, and i do believe that we've peaked and we are returning from hence we came.

I'd be more concerned about the evident butchering of language inflicted on us by the past generation.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000000ca6c2/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

What does woot mean to you? a word used to describe an exciting achievement
    r
    Do you use it outside of gaming world? no

If so in casual speech or on a more professional level? casual

0-10 hours a week (used to be 20+)

Is there another word out there that you use that can replace woot? I dont use it

Are you male or female? male

Age group

30-40
    Ramiros 66 (HNT) + Romiriel 85 (MNS)
    Educate yourself in the matters of reality for they have no precise line between good and evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion_Calls View Post
    I'd be more concerned about the evident butchering of language inflicted on us by the past generation.
    Oops, i didn't press the W hard enough, so sue me. Dropping a single letter by mistake is nothing compared to the unspeakable and heinous crimes being committed by those who are promoting "733t speak", "txt spk" and other variants used by the younger gaming communities.
    [I][URL="http://www.swgrp.co.uk/main/socks/"]Wet Socks & Two Smoking Hobits: the mad ramblings of Handee Pokits[/URL][/I]

What does woot mean to you? - it means "Yay" and I first heard it used in an MMO in 1999. I never ever hear it used anymore, but that may be because I only play LOTRO now and the community seems more mature than at other MMOs.

Do you use it outside of gaming world? - certainly not, I never use it in gaming either.

If so in casual speech or on a more professional level? N/A

20 hours or more a week
    15 - 20 hours a week - probably this, I'm having cancer treatment so cannot currently work and have a lot of time to spare.
    10-15 hours a week
    0-10 hours a week

Is there another word out there that you use that can replace woot? Yay

IF so what is it and what does it mean? and is it used outside of he gaming world? It means great, hooray, yippee, fabulous, etc.

Are you male or female? female

Age group: 30-40
    Iolanthea and Theodoret live at 1 Fountain Street, Havenhold, Breeland, Snowbourn.
    Diodore, Goldfinch and Milburra live at 3 Wending Way, Alebrook, The Shire.
    "You fall and cleave your skull. You have mastered 39% of this adventure".....oh

Considering that you haven't asked the most important question regarding sociolinguistics in in-game social chat:

"What do you think someone impies when they use the term 'woot' in a casual conversation with you?"

I would say you are destined for a C at best unless you have a very VERY friendly relationship with the TA or the professor. Just sayin...

When I asked what it means to you is the question that shows what you are implying when using the word. If you answer that question, then guess what... I know what you were trying to imply when using it. I do find your input very sociolinguistically challenged as you do not understand what I am trying to accomplish with my research. I am not looking for in-game social chat context. Have a great day and happy questing.

Quote Originally Posted by Edrogar View Post

If creationism is to be believed then we came from slime, and i do believe that we've peaked and we are returning from whence we came.
    All languages change over time. I speak English and Tagalog and I can tell you that both languages have words that were used years ago that no one uses any more.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

To me this word means: "the person is young and thinks that slang words make him look cool". I have no idea what is the "real" meaning here. People use it randomly when they are excited... but I tend to ignore it and just wait for more explanations. They always appear after "woot".

I never use it and never hear it outside of the virtual reality.

20 hours or more a week
    (much more)

Depends on what that "woot" means. I avoid any kind of words which look stupid to me. I do not want to offend anyone, but this word does look silly from my point of view.

Are you male or female?
    Female

Age group
    At the border between "20-30" and "30-40". You can't include the same age into two categories.

Update: after reading the topic I see that this word is an acronym... good to know. But the meaning of that acronym is just another reason why I would never use it.
    Last edited by Lunasa; Oct 25 2013 at 07:24 PM.
    Ishtarien - Captain
    Ishtari - Rune Keeper / Ishtarel - Hunter / Lunasa - Minstrel
    Ishtaridas - LRM 105 / Ishti - BRG 105 / Cabernetta - GRD 105 / Merlotta - CHP 105 / Medovinus - BRN 105
    The Mellowship || Eldar -> Evernight

i have most often heard it as an exclamation of joy or happiness used by gamers, I do not use it myself.

No, I don't use it.

N/A

20 hours or more a week
    15 - 20 hours a week
    Or more :-p

Yay??/

Yes, and everyone knows what Yay means

Are you male or female?
    Female

Age group
    40 and beyond.

Hope this is helpful info!
    Happy homeowner on Landroval and Laurelin!

I don't know about "woot" but I've been taught many years ago that "w00t" means happy surprise. Not just "Yay!", it has to be more like "OMG, what a cool awesome thing to happen!". Like someone telling you that they suddenly got this extremely rare loot, and you get surprised and happy for them

I mostly see older people use that word, and a few young ones who don't actually know what it means, but have learned when to use it from others. I wonder how old that word really is? I can remember it being used very often in my early mmorpg days, but now I rarely see it.

I think I have used it only once and that was when my English vocabulary failed me once again and the chat was filled with all the other types of "yay" I knew, so I had to grab the last word I knew because otherwise it would look like I copy pasted one of the other people in the kin chat

Using "Woot" IRL when you speak is like saying "lol" instead of actually laughing
    ;) “There are hundreds of paths up the mountain, all leading to the same place, so it doesn’t matter which path you take. The only person wasting time is the one who runs around the mountain, telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.” ~ Hindu Proverb

Talking

1. What does woot mean to you? Wow, sweet, yes, yah, nice, awesome, great
    2. Do you use it outside of gaming world? yes
    3. If so in casual speech or on a more professional level? casual
    4. How often do you play the game? 20 hours or more a week
    5. Is there another word out there that you use that can replace woot? yes
    6. IF so what is it and what does it mean? and is it used outside of he gaming world? Refer to the answers on question # 1
    7. Are you male or female? female
    8. Age group? 30-40

~ Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth ~

In front of puter. Thanks, online games. :P
    Very interesting.

Yay! Woohoo! Win! or "I'm happy for you!" (example: someone got a rare mount as a drop in game and was so thrilled they posted in Regional about it).

No. To me it's primarily a text thing.

N/A.

20 hours or more a week
    15 - 20 hours a week
    10-15 hours a week
    0-10 hours a week
    0-10. I play whenever I can fit time in because of my stupid work schedule.

"Victory!" or.."Congratulations!"...in meaning alone. But actual use? "Woohoo! Yaaaaaay!" or "Good for you!"

I use "Congratulations" or "Good for you!" outside the gaming world. "Woohoo" I usually use sarcastically.

Are you male or female?
    Female.

Age group
    15-20
    20-30
    30-40
    40 and beyond.
    30-40.
    Crickhollow---Citridyla, Ythrondis, and Hraf. Meneldor--Dockerson, Kariadriel and Thasgar. Gladden--Gamoskorin, Henessy, and Lanthreldras. Firefoot--Amberson and Liedvar. Brandywine--Audny, Egilwine, and Gardihauk. I'm an altoholic, pie-eating fool! :)

Woot, w00t or whoot?

Hello my fellow gamers. I am currently doing research for my sociolinguistics class this semester on gaming language and I hope you will be able to help me out by answer the below questions.

Interesting - I'll start with a disclaimer = I have graduate degrees in linguistics (historical/ling anth). I don't think it'll affect your survey, but still. To me, it's woot woot - it's not /m/. I *do* have that phoneme in my regular speech however (witch/which are minimal pairs, not homophones).

It's an exclamation of happiness.

That's probably the only place I use it. When I do, it's used jokingly. The last time I can remember (there aren't many times ever), it was a geek reference to The Big Bang Theory episode where Wil Wheaton cuts in line at the movies and tweets about Sheldon. Sheldon reponds with something to the effect of "I hope his next tweet is 'popcorn lodged in throat. choking. woot woot'".

Very casual. Again, I could see the possibility of using in class, but only to tell my students not to do that kind of thing in academic writing.

20 hours or more a week
    15 - 20 hours a week
    10-15 hours a week
    0-10 hours a week
    0-10 hours a week.

Since I just use it jokingly, I don't think so. But, if I genuinely used the word, I'd suppose any interjection related to happiness would work = sweet, nice, etc

Are you male or female?

Age group
    15-20
    20-30
    30-40
    40 and beyond.

Thanks,

AKA: Emmaline or Kestrelia.
    Male, 40+, and good luck with the project.
    Last edited by fallohide; Oct 27 2013 at 12:11 PM. Reason: IPA symbol not recognized, replaced with m.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast