We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

The Lord of the Rings Online: Mithril Edition Licensed for ....?

Hi everyone.

I'm thinking to purchase the Mithril Edition of LOTRO, but can't figure out how it installation works. I have LOTRO installed on one computer, but my friend and I both play. We play on 2 separate accounts. When I buy this edition, can we both use the code to install it? Or does the installation only apply to an individual account, meaning that we have to buy the Mithril Edition twice in order to get the expansion, Turbine Points, etc?

We're enjoying F2P, but upgrading to Premium would be useful. I'm also thinking to buy Runekeeper with those Turbine Points, since the classes aren't included with this offer.

Pointers appreciated. Cheers.

The Mithril Edition is just a code you can use one time to unlock some features on one account. It doesn't involve any extra software to install. (Although there may be boxed copies with physical disks, all they contain is an older version of the game you already have installed.)

If you and your friend both want the benefits of the Mithril Edition, you'll both have to buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredelas View Post
    The Mithril Edition is just a code you can use one time to unlock some features on one account. It doesn't involve any extra software to install. (Although there may be boxed copies with physical disks, all they contain is an older version of the game you already have installed.)

If you and your friend both want the benefits of the Mithril Edition, you'll both have to buy it.
    Thanks, Fredelas. That's what I thought, but wanted to be sure my facts were straight.

That means any expansion packs have to be bought twice. VIP service is a completely different thing if I understand.

Only workaround is to buy more character slots for one main account, I guess. Hm. Will have to think what to do. The Samwise Gamgee Starter Pack is what she'd like to buy. Maybe that is better option since we're both still new in the game?

Compare the two packs and see what is better:

Mithril edition
    - Steed of the Horse-lords' Mount
    - Quest packs: Eregion, Trollshaws, Lothlorien (Normally costs: 695 TP, 595 TP, 595 TP)
    - Expansion: Mines of Moria (Normally costs: 1495 TP)
    - 2000 TP

Costs $19,99

Note: Completing deeds from quest packs and expansions give you even more TP
    Eregion: Zone deeds: 165 TP, Instance deeds: 130 TP
    Trollshaws: 145 TP
    Lothlorien: Zone deeds 135 TP, Instance deeds: 200 TP
    Mines of Moria: Zone deeds: 405 TP, Instance deeds: 535 TP

Which means that with the quest packs and the expansion you get with the mithril edition you can earn up to 1715 TP per character.

-------

Samwise Gamgee's Starter Pack:
    - The Bay Steed & Riding Skill (Riding skill normally costs 95 TP per char)
    - 4th Inventory Bag (Normally costs 995 TP)
    - Currency Cap (Normally 395 TP (i think))

Costs $9,99

------

Personally I would go with the Mithril edition. For an extra $10 (samwise = $9,99, mithril= 19,99) you get 3 qp's and 1 expansion, which you will need if you want to level. With that you also get 2000TP which you can use to remove the currency cap on your account and get your riding skill. And also to get 1 more quest pack or so (i recommend Evendim) to cover the levels between the lone-lands and eregion. But it is up to you of course ^^ I've listed everything you will get, so you can see what you like more

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenSongs View Post
    Only workaround is to buy more character slots for one main account, I guess.
    That will only work if you are not wanting to play toether. An account can only be logged in to the game once, even if you are using different computeres.

Two simultaneous players requires two accounts.
    [COLOR=Red][B]TANSTAAFL[/B][/COLOR]

Thanks, FroukjeMarije.

I'd forgotten to subscribe, so I lost this thread for a bit. >.<

In the end we went with the Starter Pack since it unlocks the gold cap altogether and gives riding skill to any new character created. Plus, it gave the 1 extra character slot, which I had much needed.

I also have my eye on the Mines of Moria Complete Edition. The one that comes in the box with CD's etc. Trouble is, people are selling it already opened. So if you only ever use a code once per unique account, what is the point of buying the box set this way? I post that as a question in another thread. Hoping to figure it out, as I'm totalled confused on this point.

Cheers for the thorough break down.

Quote Originally Posted by mjk47 View Post
    That will only work if you are not wanting to play toether. An account can only be logged in to the game once, even if you are using different computeres.

Two simultaneous players requires two accounts.
    Yes. I did try to double log in on the same account and LOTRO bumped one character off the server. Thanks for you reply.

How to purchase

Hullo,
    as a casual lotro, I want to buy the Mithril Edition. I am almost done with the Lone Lands and this seems to be a great offer (at only 20$). I know that you can buy it at the EBgames website as a digital download (tough only to US addresses & I am presently in Canada). What I want to know is if I can buy it online anywhere else or do I have to buy a disc copy of it, in that case, where would I buy it (at a Wal-Mart or Best Buy?).

Thanks for any help. The lotro community is friendliest gaming community I have ever seen ;D