We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

The Free Folk (A Kinless RP Community) is Recruiting!

Merry we dance to the country beat
    All led by the flute and the viol sweet.
    The sound can be heard from Bree to Combe:
    The anthem of strong and stamping feet.

Bright is the laughter that fills the hall,
    Gay is the music and clear the call
    That beckons us forth from hearth and home,
    As we dance to the merriment of all.

What is The Free Folk?
    We are a heavy roleplay community located on the Landroval LOTRO server. We are artists, writers, and storytellers working together to bring the world of Middle-earth to life. Our roleplay is deep, detailed, and broad, spanning nearly every type of story that our members might wish to tell. We focus on rich character development and ongoing, interwoven plots. Beyond that, we are a network of friends who choose to play together out of mutual respect and fondness. Every one of us is here because we love LOTRO, Tolkien, and RP!

What kind of RP do you do?
    The short answer is: whatever we want! Much of our content is member-created, and there is a great deal of support in place for members who want to run their own events. We do everything from silly one shot events (such as drinking from the Sinister Keg and RPing wherever we end up!) to epic, multi-month, high-stakes adventures throughout Middle-earth. The only flavour of RP we do not fully support is organized outlaw, criminal, and "evil" initiatives, because The Free Folk as a whole is an organization committed to driving out the dark.

What are you looking for in a member?

• Mature, confident, participatory individuals who are willing and eager to take initiative and craft their own experience in TFF.
    • Experienced RPers who have strong grammar, and are already familiar with Tolkien lore.
    • Strong, flexible RPers with multiple unique and engaging characters.
    • Players who are not heavily involved in other Landroval communities already.
    • Writers, artists, and storytellers who like to create, innovate, and play in Middle-earth.

How long will you be recruiting?
    We are open enrolling as of early January, and will be recruiting for as long as it takes to find great new members. Once we feel that the community has grown enough, we will close recruitment again to let everyone adjust and get to know each other.

How do I join?
    To apply to join TFF, just follow the instructions on this page!

So Many Reasons to Join!

• A close-knit, active, supportive community, exclusive member perks, and a private chat channel.
    • A beautiful, extensive paid Enjin site bcutomized to facilitate RP and community building.
    • Regularly scheduled RP events, including tavern nights, adventure plots, murder mysteries, holiday parties, and more!
    • An entire TFF-owned RP neighborhood, with numerous unique RP locations, and houses available for member rental.
    • A "newspaper" called The Durrow Warbler that generates random (often hilarious) news, and keeps track of character birthdays and anniversaries!
    • Master crafters of every vocation who can fulfill work orders on request, often for free.
    • An extensive wiki for recording TFF characters, plots, and lore.
    • An active list of beautifully written character Wordpress blogs.
    • LOTRO comics, doodles, artwork, and graphics. Custom character plushies for your signature!
    • Writing prompts, character exercises, word games, and contests!
    • Exhaustive RP and lore guides and resources.
    • Forum roleplay boards for when you can't access LOTRO but need your RP fix.
    • Frequent "extracurricular" activities such as other MMO play nights, Discord chats, real-life get togethers, and Cards Against Humanity games!
    Last edited by amimain2; Apr 24 2016 at 12:30 PM.
    [CENTER][COLOR=DarkRed][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v661/viniell/ff-logo-small_zpsdb761690.png[/IMG]
    [/COLOR][URL="http://freefolk.enjin.com/"][COLOR=#daa520][SIZE=3][B]The Free Folk[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=DarkRed]
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#8b4513]A kinless roleplay community on the Landroval server.[/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkRed]
    [/COLOR][COLOR=#663300][I]"And we dance to the merriment of all."[/I][/COLOR][COLOR=#800000]
    [/COLOR][COLOR=DarkRed]

[/COLOR]
    [/CENTER]

The Wayfarer's Guild is what started it all, and remains our flagship project. TWG is a Bree-based adventuring band that answers calls for aid all around Eriador. Their tasks take them to many settlements of the Free Peoples and into the deep and untamed wilds. They are led by Oendir Arrowheart, and have been through much together over the years. TWG focuses on high adventure and field RP, and every TFF member is encouraged to have a Wayfarer character.

The Hawthorn Family is an organized roleplay focused on family bonds. It follows the lives of each member of the Hawthorn family as they navigate the challenging, endearing, and poignant family dynamics that are so rarely explored in RP. The Hawthorns are a family of physicians, herbalists, and midwives, all dedicated to healing and matters of the heart. Most Hawthorn RP is domestic and simple in premise, but every interaction, no matter how small, makes it all richer.

Durrow-on-Dunwash is our dynamic, living RP neighborhood in the Bree-land Homesteads. It is almost entirely TFF-owned, and provides numerous unique RP locations, including the Stonebluff Historical Society Museum and Library, The Broken Cask inn and tavern, the Snowdrop Nursery, The Wayfarers' Guild Headquarters, The Hearthsong Theatre Company, and many other points of interest. Many of our characters live in Durrow, and more houses are available for rent. Durrow also has deeply developed NPC villagers who work, live, and love alongside our characters.

In an effort to foster RP in places beyond Bree-land, TFF has developed extensive headcanon for the city of Dol Amroth, including a two taverns, secret societies, and colourful NPCS. We also have a roster of resident characters. We are working to do the same in Minas Tirith, and are looking forward to RPing the Battle of Pelennor Fields and the siege of the Black Gates!

AGA is our true-to-Tolkien adventure RP. It follows the members of an unlikely fellowship as they journey together on the hunt for glory and treasure! Participating members earn special badges for visiting iconic locations, such as Moria, Rivendell, and The Shire. We are always looking for people to play NPCs in each of the locations we visit. It's a great excuse to get RP time for characters who live in remote areas of the world.
    Last edited by amimain2; Jan 28 2016 at 02:37 AM.
    [CENTER][COLOR=DarkRed][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v661/viniell/ff-logo-small_zpsdb761690.png[/IMG]
    [/COLOR][URL="http://freefolk.enjin.com/"][COLOR=#daa520][SIZE=3][B]The Free Folk[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=DarkRed]
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#8b4513]A kinless roleplay community on the Landroval server.[/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkRed]
    [/COLOR][COLOR=#663300][I]"And we dance to the merriment of all."[/I][/COLOR][COLOR=#800000]
    [/COLOR][COLOR=DarkRed]

[/COLOR]
    [/CENTER]

I must say, this is wonderful work. The amount of time and depth put into this project is nothing short of monumental, and its quality shows. Fantastic work.

I don't know if it's a fit my character, considering I'm running my own shows more and more of late, but I'd certainly love to get into contact with you folks, and will steer people your way. Truly, just exemplary.

Thank you so much for the kind words!

We are actually very interested in people who like to "run their own shows," so to speak, because many of our members prefer to participate in plots as opposed to GM them. However, we do also have an associate option for people who don't want to join but would like to stay in touch with what we're doing. For more information, you can send me (Oendir) a mail on our Enjin site.
    [/COLOR][COLOR=DarkRed]

[/COLOR]
    [/CENTER]

Please pass along word that if any of the groups would like to run an ad or submit a news/column/feature/art/recipe/fashion piece/etc. in the Landy Lately newspaper, that they can contact me either PM here, or Quick Post to Wellie.

I will do so. Thank you!
    [/COLOR][COLOR=DarkRed]

[/COLOR]
    [/CENTER]

Interested. I've spoken to both Laerlin and a bona-fide "officer" already, so all that remains is getting your approval and finding some people to roleplay with.

My names in-game are Skilfnir, Findrvask, and Ilarnoth. Let's get in touch some time.

I endorse this project if for no reason other than that their website frequently uses the term "IC" instead of the grammatically hideous "ICly."

Recruitment is still open! Feel free to drop by our forums to take a look around or say hello.

Quote Originally Posted by Glyngaris View Post
    Recruitment is still open! Feel free to drop by our forums to take a look around or say hello.
    I've been RPing for many years and have been an avid LOTR fan all my life, including being on LOTRO since 2013. However, I find the whole recruitment and "trial" process quite off-putting. I would think that an application and perhaps a brief conversation or interview would suffice rather than 6 weeks of being on this probation-type status, complete with a host of requirements (a "mentor"? I don't need a mentor...). I'm disappointed, as it sounded very exciting at first glance.

Quote Originally Posted by Iltheiel View Post
    I've been RPing for many years and have been an avid LOTR fan all my life, including being on LOTRO since 2013. However, I find the whole recruitment and "trial" process quite off-putting. I would think that an application and perhaps a brief conversation or interview would suffice rather than 6 weeks of being on this probation-type status, complete with a host of requirements (a "mentor"? I don't need a mentor...). I'm disappointed, as it sounded very exciting at first glance.
    It may be best to tell you a bit more to help clarify the process.

Our group has been together for a long, long time. Our flagship project, The Wayfarers' Guild, was founded in 2010 (by members who had been together since 2007). We have accrued an extensive lore and history IC through these years of RP, and many of the requirements are in place to help you, essentially, begin to understand what is happening with our kinships and groups. Mentors also fall into this category; They are not here to tell you about Lotro quests (though they would be willing to help if it was needed), but help you acclimate to the environment of TFF. They would be the ones who would inform you events if you missed them, put you in touch with a suggested character that may get along with yours, and be there to help along the way if you had any issues through the trial process with any TFF related questions or concerns.

The trial month is in place to make sure that the applicant and our group are a good fit for each other. This may seem somewhat unnecessary, but in my experience, a brief conversation doesn't give you the same idea of what to expect as actually being IN the group and seeing it for yourself. You may not like our style of RP, or maybe your job schedule has you miss most of our events. But it would be difficult to know until you in the midst of all. We also want our applicants to get to know our members and start to feel comfortable around them. We have a very close atmosphere between us, so we don't want people to feel like outsiders.

I admit, it seems like a lot at first. As long as our applicants and members reach out to one another, though, the application process goes quite smoothly, as does the transition to becoming a full member.

Quote Originally Posted by Iltheiel View Post

Hi Iltheiel. I'm sorry to hear our process isn't to your taste! Like Glyngaris said, everything we have in place is to help new members adjust as smoothly as possible. It's an old community, with a LOT going on, and the Mentors help new members transition into the group. The Mentor program was one of many features we implemented based off continued member feedback. We are always growing and changing to suit the needs of the TFF community.

Since RP is such a subjective pasttime, we recognize that TFF isn't for everyone. This is just the way of doing thing that seems to work for us.
    [/COLOR][COLOR=DarkRed]

[/COLOR]
    [/CENTER]