We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

The Coffee House thread that never ends

Morning Landrovalrim,

I have done some thinking about the Coffee House closing. This is something that has been part of the Community since Beta. We are in no small way responsible for Coffee being in the game. Frpm Patience and the chinchilla's and Ferrets, thru the Brandywhino wars, to Dwarven Roleplay Hockey (tm), this Coffee House has provided a meeting space for a lot of great people. After all, what other Coffee House has a staff of Chinchilla's, a colostomy corner, a pillow corner, and a Dwarven Hockey Night in Canada Ice rink that Radagast conjurs up?
    I think the thing that clinched it was Gombur seeing Wilson in Bree the other day with a "will barista for food" sign.

Anyway, this is my attempt to resurrect the Coffee House. Just one thread. No need for anyone else to come in and worry about starting anything. Lets see what kind of response we get, or if we get any response at all. Its up to you, my friends, to post something. I just didn't think that I should decide to close it on my own. If you have something to say, come and say it, please. If not, well, it was a lot of fun while it lasted.

Regards,

Gombur/Mike
    Gombur Gromburson, Level 105 Guardian
    Kin Leader of Remnant
    Commander of the 92nd Dwarven Highlanders

Thanks, Doc... I feel partly responsible for the lack of posting. There was a time when I had an excuse (no access during the day), but that has been rectified. I used to post multiple times a day!

I definitely miss all of you and do think about you guys from time to time. I think it's also hurt that I have not played lotro in what is now probably over 6 months - I'm beginning to worry that I'll not play again, despite wanting to make it through to the end. It's just so hard to keep my characters up to date!

I hope you all are doing well
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000000dc021/01002/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [B][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Gloern[/COLOR][/B] -[COLOR="DarkOrchid"] L65 Guardian[/COLOR] / [B][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Tieranor[/COLOR][/B] - [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]L65 Minstrel[/COLOR] / [B][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Swana[/COLOR][/B] - [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]L45 Hunter[/COLOR]
    [B][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Thoern[/COLOR][/B] - [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]L65 Champion[/COLOR] / [B][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Lenamyr[/COLOR][/B] - [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]L15 Captain[/COLOR]
    Anonymous is up for it though. Anonymous is legion. -PastorInsanity

*Sees coffee, then sees everyone looking at coffee.*

*hugs next closest person and takes a sip from the Cup of Everflowing Coffee*
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a000000286a1a/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Visit me at my blog, Games and Geekery: [url]http://www.gamesandgeekery.com[/url]

"Cup of Everflowing Coffee"... I like it!!

Ok, to do my part, I will provide one of my mundane life-of-a-wondermom posts. =D

We are in the last stages of preparation for another big Halloween extravaganza party, so things are slightly crazier than usual around here. Looks like word has gotten out among my daughters' friends that the party is pretty awesome. When inviting for a party, I have always invited a few extra people just in case some don't show up. Well, I have only gotten positive responses from parents, so we may wind up with 20 girls between the ages of 8 and 11. I may have gray streaks in my hair before this is over.

We are extra proud around here of daughter #3. She was one of 44 inductees into the new National Elementary Honor Society chapter for our school. She also received a commendation signed by the governor for achieving a perfect score on the math portion of the Oklahoma core curriculum test.

There is probably more I could share, but I need another cup of coffee, and I need to stop procrastinating on the to-do-list!

Happy Hump day!
    Gwea
    Never try to teach a troll to sing. It frustrates you and annoys the troll.
    "If worlds are to collide,..let us do so together!"--Welby

Yeah, Doc.....*an Elven female Guardian dances around the room with Doc!*

Well, sad news yesterday. One of our neighbors had lost his wife about six or seven months ago and since that time he hasn't been able to cope with life without her. Sunday he went out to his boat moored on the lake and used a pistol to commit suicide. He was only 70 years old and today we are going to his visitation. Such a sad thing.

Other than that we are well and still think of Sir Squeaky now in NJ at the Rescue Center. I have got to get some potted plants in before tonight as in SC we're suppose to dip down to 31 degrees.......and geez, wouldn't you know it, the AC/Heating guy hasn't come yet, so the only heat we'll have tonight is, thank goodness the fireplace. Extra dog blankets here!

And in remembrance of our friend, Cecil.

Last edited by Valadilene; Oct 23 2013 at 01:20 PM.
    [COLOR=#ff0000]On the naughty list since 1959.[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Docargyle View Post
    Morning Landrovalrim,

After all, what other Coffee House has a staff of Chinchilla's, a colostomy corner, a pillow corner, and a Dwarven Hockey Night in Canada Ice rink that Radagast conjurs up?
    You forgot the eyedrops for the squirrels. :P

(shelf next to the window btw).

Now if there was only a way to have a permanent "freshly opened for the first time coffee can" scent. /sighs.

==Nec Hostium Timete, Nec Amicum Recusate==
    alts: Aymie, Wrd 61 | Willie, Hnt 28 | Io, Grd 55 | Leyta, Lm 44 | Sharise, Brg 38

Second star to the right and straight until morning... til you reach Neverland...

Cool

I've only lurked the occasional Coffee House thread, and piped up only once or twice... but now must pipe up for fear of losin a GOOD thing.
    Never Give Up! Although, I'm sure that doesn't mean much from me... (I've lost a lot of incentive to log into the forums much anymore, it will just log me out again. I log in only to post, or sign up for lottery, and neither has been happening much of lately. (I keep missing the HD lottos it seems.)
    Anywho, coming across the cleverly titled Landroval Coffee threads has always been a delight for me. (I'll admit I may not always stop to read them, but the titles were always a bright spot, in a line of random new post titles.)

Keep up the good bartending, even if you only started one, once a week, once a month. Just knowin' that dose of coffee's out there... You know how coffee can be... *twitch*... right?
    !<3?!Wargs Rule!!?<3! But only because we have no playable feline races.
    ???s6u!?? 3?!?o?@? ?w ?o m3? @ 3?@ 3s3??
    *s6u!s* ¡?w ?o ?s3!6?@M pu@ 's3ss3??s!w-3?ol 's3s?l3?

Founder & Altoholic: playing wargies and loremistresses since 2006 SoA beta.*Jingle Jangle!*
    A "lifetime" of play on: Elendilmir (RIP), Crick, Landy, & more.

Doc:

I know we fought this for a long time, i.e., going away from a daily coffee thread, then we finally slipped to the weekly coffee thread, and even then it was tough to get many folks posting. So I think this is the right step next. A coffeehouse thread that never ends.

We will still have room in here for all of the regular chinchilla staff, and events (including Dwarven Hockey RP!) - but now we can relax about starting new threads and just post to this one as needed.

So, I was going to give an update on the 30 Days of Mrs. Slammy! Today is Day 30, the idea was that for 30 days, beginning on her birthday, we would do something special to celebrate or as a treat. A lot of the things were very simple and inexpensive (or free). Some were more elaborate. Some were the kids ideas. So today we will wind up the 30 days. You know, this was partly for me too, to help me to not take my wonderful wife and family for granted. So it's been fun. Here are the 30 days:

Day 1 - flowers and dinner at a nice restaurant.
    Day 2 - earrings.
    Day 3 - a bag of cinnamon hearts (her favorite).
    Day 4 - nail polish and a pedicure by the girls.
    Day 5 - homemade cheesecake.
    Day 6 - Watched Dead Poet's Society (and were going to make popcorn but ended up eating leftover cheesecake instead!)
    Day 7 - A mall date - sampled teas at David's teas.
    Day 8 - a lantern plant.
    Day 9 - Purdy's peanut butter/chocolate bars.
    Day 10 - a poem. (yes it was a love poem and very schmucky...)
    Day 11 - a bottle of wine (rose)
    Day 12 - me and the kids made dinner - veal picatta, red cabbage, homemade gnocchi, and pear/ginger crisp for dessert.
    Day 13 - homemade pumpkin pie ice cream.
    Day 14 - a box of tictacs!
    Day 15 - a Michael Buble! (well a CD of his anyway).
    Day 16 - Today's Parent magazine.
    Day 17 - a book by John Grisham
    Day 18 - a single red rose.
    Day 19 - a new watch.
    Day 20 - a library book - one that she had started reading several months ago but never finished.
    Day 21 - "Fly over Canada" - a movie experience similar to Soaring over California - but with amazing Canadian footage. And a latte.
    Day 22 - a gift certificate for a fondue night out for four.
    Day 23 - a box of Candy Corn. Then we found out she really doesn't like candy corn, so we replaced it with a bag of black licorice.
    Day 24 - A theatre pack - including tickets to Mary Poppins, Driving Miss Daisy, and a Brimful of Asha.
    Day 25 - blizzards from Dairy Queen
    Day 26 - The movie Yentl (her favorite that we watched back when we were dating).
    Day 27 - a new waffle maker - and hawaiian waffles - (macadamian nuts, coconut syrup, coconut/pineapple, and white chocolate)...
    Day 28 - a picture frame with a picture of each of the Slamkids.
    Day 29 - homemade ornament - with a thumbprint of each of us, baked in. (It was a good thought, but it actually didn't work out very well).
    Day 30 - letters from each of us.

And that, my friends, is 30 days of Mrs. Slammy!
    [I][COLOR=#40e0d0]Slamfist of Landroval and Silverlode - Slamwise - Slamburger - Slamrat - and Joe[/COLOR][/I]
    [COLOR=#ffff00]< [URL="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=351547"]a Hobbit's Tale[/URL]> < [URL="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?313127"]Behold the Chinchillas![/URL] > [/COLOR]

I multi-quoted so you know I'm serious.

Quote Originally Posted by GweannDarkslayer View Post
    We are extra proud around here of daughter #3. She was one of 44 inductees into the new National Elementary Honor Society chapter for our school. She also received a commendation signed by the governor for achieving a perfect score on the math portion of the Oklahoma core curriculum test.
    Well done and congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Valadilene View Post
    Yeah, DocWell, sad news yesterday. One of our neighbors had lost his wife about six or seven months ago and since that time he hasn't been able to cope with life without her. Sunday he went out to his boat moored on the lake and used a pistol to commit suicide. He was only 70 years old and today we are going to his visitation. Such a sad thing.
    So sorry to hear this I can't imagine what it must have been like for him and his loss.

I'm quite happy about the larger percentage of this week being behind us, but for no particular reason. Except maybe that Saturday is not booked in any way and I'm hoping to keep it that way. What should I do? Yes, the house could use some cleaning, but games and fun and outside-stuff. And sleep... don't forget sleep.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000000dc021/01002/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [B][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Gloern[/COLOR][/B] -[COLOR="DarkOrchid"] L65 Guardian[/COLOR] / [B][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Tieranor[/COLOR][/B] - [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]L65 Minstrel[/COLOR] / [B][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Swana[/COLOR][/B] - [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]L45 Hunter[/COLOR]
    [B][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Thoern[/COLOR][/B] - [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]L65 Champion[/COLOR] / [B][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Lenamyr[/COLOR][/B] - [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]L15 Captain[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by oldbustedjorn View Post
    I'm quite happy about the larger percentage of this week being behind us, but for no particular reason. Except maybe that Saturday is not booked in any way and I'm hoping to keep it that way. What should I do? Yes, the house could use some cleaning, but games and fun and outside-stuff. And sleep... don't forget sleep.
    As my 19-year-old daughter is sooo fond of reminding me, sleep is highly overrated!

I have coffee. Thursday now has my permission to begin.

Today is crunch time for the Halloween party preparations. The last minute cleaning, shopping and decorating should keep me hopping most of the day. The final menu has been approved by the small people, and we will be having mummy dogs, eyeball (meatball) sandwiches, and deviled zombie eyeballs (deviled eggs) For dessert, there will be dirt pudding with jello worms.

Hungry yet? =D

Time for me to start making breakfast and lunches for the tribe. Y'all have a great day!

So sorry to hear this I can't imagine what it must have been like for him and his loss.
    Thanks, oldbustedjorn. It was a rough evening to say the least.

I have coffee. Thursday now has my permission to begin.
    LOL! I like that.

Awesome stuff for Mrs. Slammy! *Applause*

In other news, my heating guy didn't show up again and it was 31 last night. Lovely. Me and my Mini Doxie, Mouse(all of nine whole pounds with her very own sheep skin coat) are not pleased.

INCOMING!

Yeah, Doc.....*an Elven female Guardian dances around the room with Doc!*
    Well, sad news yesterday. One of our neighbors had lost his wife about six or seven months ago and since that time he hasn't been able to cope with life without her. Sunday he went out to his boat moored on the lake and used a pistol to commit suicide. He was only 70 years old and today we are going to his visitation. Such a sad thing.[/b]
    That is the saddest,..

Other than that we are well and still think of Sir Squeaky now in NJ at the Rescue Center. I have got to get some potted plants in before tonight as in SC we're suppose to dip down to 31 degrees.......and geez, wouldn't you know it, the AC/Heating guy hasn't come yet, so the only heat we'll have tonight is, thank goodness the fireplace. Extra dog blankets here!
    What town in Jersey? I can go visit him,..hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Iktomi View Post
    You forgot the eyedrops for the squirrels.

(shelf next to the window btw).

Now if there was only a way to have a permanent "freshly opened for the first time coffee can" scent. /sighs.

Scratch -n-Sniff Coffee stickers,...50 Turbine Points coming next Spring!

Quote Originally Posted by Griffy View Post
    I've only lurked the occasional Coffee House thread, and piped up only once or twice... but now must pipe up for fear of losin a GOOD thing.
    Never Give Up! Although, I'm sure that doesn't mean much from me... (I've lost a lot of incentive to log into the forums much anymore, it will just log me out again. I log in only to post, or sign up for lottery, and neither has been happening much of lately. (I keep missing the HD lottos it seems.)
    Anywho, coming across the cleverly titled Landroval Coffee threads has always been a delight for me. (I'll admit I may not always stop to read them, but the titles were always a bright spot, in a line of random new post titles.)

Keep up the good bartending, even if you only started one, once a week, once a month. Just knowin' that dose of coffee's out there... You know how coffee can be... *twitch*... right?

Ya,..'tis the natural order. Change or Die! So ..well,...this is change. Onward!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar2007 View Post
    So, I was going to give an update on the 30 Days of Mrs. Slammy! Today is Day 30, the idea was that for 30 days, beginning on her birthday, we would do something special to celebrate or as a treat. A lot of the things were very simple and inexpensive (or free). Some were more elaborate. Some were the kids ideas. So today we will wind up the 30 days. You know, this was partly for me too, to help me to not take my wonderful wife and family for granted. So it's been fun. Here are the 30 days:

Day 27 - a new waffle maker - and hawaiian waffles - (macadamian nuts, coconut syrup, coconut/pineapple, and white chocolate)...

And that, my friends, is 30 days of Mrs. Slammy!

Captains Log. StarDate Day 27: We've just encountered a sentient Waffle machine drifting on the far side of Maranga IV. We've beamed it aboard, ran some tests. It responded to questioning by pulling out a ukulele and singing “Aloha Oe”. We ate it with some coconut syrup.

I multi-quoted so you know I'm serious.
    Nice! Folks,..this IS a rare occurrence,..take note! hehe

Today is crunch time for the Halloween party preparations. The last minute cleaning, shopping and decorating should keep me hopping most of the day. The final menu has been approved by the small people, and we will be having mummy dogs, eyeball (meatball) sandwiches, and deviled zombie eyeballs (deviled eggs) For dessert, there will be dirt pudding with jello worms.
    !
    ah that reminds me,..I need to warn my sisters upState to let them know I will be tagging along on their Halloween walk with the kids. yet another fine American Establishment I can show to the FatherInLaw, as if ComcCon wasn't enough,..ehhee..

Spoooookyy!!

===========================

Brilliant idea for the CoffeeThread, Doc!

Been awhile since I photobombed the joint.

Vacation time is coming up. Gonna swing by Pennsylvania for some Ren Faire action meetUp with Del. Then hit Philadelphia up for some U.S. History touring and treasure hunting.

Hopefully a daytrip out to see the Amish.

Then it's off to upstate NY to show the Father-in-Law some hiking before he flies back.

And everyone , do yourself a solid and go see Gravity while it is still on the big screen. Bigger the better.

Saw it Again last night. Even though my FatherInLaw didn't understand English,..he still couldn't sleep when he got home,..lol,..he was still tense.

Unfortunately this means I wont be available for the friday night D&Ds for the next two Fridays.

Oh,..also,..I am undecided what to do with my cat when I am away. Is 4 days too long to leave her alone? I got these water and food dispenser things that could last that long. But I am just weary about leaving her 'alone'. There is a slim chance I can get a coworker to poke in halfway through to check on her. I could stick her in one of those pet kennel places but I think she may not like it and who knows what shady cats she may meet.

What do ya'll think?

cheers

-Welby

Welby, this is just my two cents worth about your cat. I did take my girls to a very nice kennel once that had a separate facility for kitties. They were horrified and spent the whole time in the corner huddled together. When the attendants told me that I was so guilty. So the next time we went off, I think it was for four days also. So I put out extra food, left some lights on, left the radio on, extra water and very important!!!!...an extra kitty potty.

When we got home they were like---*yawn* oh, you're back. So they did very well, but I did worry about them though.

Good Morning Landrovalrim,

Good to see everyone. Val, I am so sad about your neighbor. He and his late wife must have been deeply and truly in love. Its a shame he couldn't work through his grief.

Nothing much going on with me right now. Chicago is starting to get a bit chilly. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I don't want the snow. Its so hard when you have a bit of trouble walking anyway and you are carrying an oxygen tank slung on your shoulder (that keeps slipping down) and a cane in one hand and a shopping cart in the other. Then try doing that in an icy parking lot. But you know what? Since I became disabled, I am amazed at just how many helpful and thoughtful people are still around. When I am in the grocery store and my arthritis is acting up, sometimes I have to use an electric riding cart, even though I prefer to walk. There are times I just cant. Anyway, people are always asking me if they can help, or if they can reach something on a higher shelf for me. It restored my faith in us as humans, and I have vowed to myself that if I ever get back to what I was before this all started, I will always help people like they helped me. Trust me, there is still a joy to be found in helping other people.

Now, MR. Welby, How the heck is our D & D group supposed to survive the next two weeks of battles in the fighting pit without your Cleric to save us????? Ulrick would have been well and truly dead last week without you. So I have a solution. Have Dad-in-Law roll up a character, we will bump him up to level 7, and then he can join us for a couple of weeks!!!! j/k have a good time.

Ok , that's it for a while. take care folks.
    Kin Leader of Remnant

Quote Originally Posted by Beschutzer View Post

Scratch -n-Sniff Coffee stickers,...50 Turbine Points coming next Spring!
    LOL Don't give them ideas!!

Quote Originally Posted by Beschutzer

Captains Log. StarDate Day 27: We've just encountered a sentient Waffle machine drifting on the far side of Maranga IV. We've beamed it aboard, ran some tests. It responded to questioning by pulling out a ukulele and singing “Aloha Oe”. We ate it with some coconut syrup.
    I have a friend who plays the Uke. I so want to steal this and put on her wall. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Beschutzer

Oh,..also,..I am undecided what to do with my cat when I am away. Is 4 days too long to leave her alone? I got these water and food dispenser things that could last that long. But I am just weary about leaving her 'alone'. There is a slim chance I can get a coworker to poke in halfway through to check on her. I could stick her in one of those pet kennel places but I think she may not like it and who knows what shady cats she may meet.

What do ya'll think?

cheers

-Welby
    While kittehs tend to be much more self-sufficient than pups, 4 days might be pushing it. I'd put 2 clean litter boxes out. The water and food dispenser things are great. Put extra water out though too; it's more important than food for a couple of day. And yes, bribe a friend to check in halfway through. I've personally never been comfy with the kenneling idea, but that's a personal hangup maybe. No matter which path you choose though, be prepared to have the furry one be mad at you for several days after you come back.....or not. I know pups get all "You're back you're back! Wait! You left me I hate you and I will now sit over here and pout and ignore you" when I'm gone that rare extra day. Not sure about the cat type furkids (not a cat person by any stretch of the imagination) /lol

==Nec Hostium Timete, Nec Amicum Recusate==
    alts: Aymie, Wrd 61 | Willie, Hnt 28 | Io, Grd 55 | Leyta, Lm 44 | Sharise, Brg 38

Good Morning Landrovalrim,

Good to see everyone. Val, I am so sad about your neighbor. He and his late wife must have been deeply and truly in love. Its a shame he couldn't work through his grief.

Nothing much going on with me right now. Chicago is starting to get a bit chilly. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I don't want the snow. Its so hard when you have a bit of trouble walking anyway and you are carrying an oxygen tank slung on your shoulder (that keeps slipping down) and a cane in one hand and a shopping cart in the other. Then try doing that in an icy parking lot. But you know what? Since I became disabled, I am amazed at just how many helpful and thoughtful people are still around. When I am in the grocery store and my arthritis is acting up, sometimes I have to use an electric riding cart, even though I prefer to walk. There are times I just cant. Anyway, people are always asking me if they can help, or if they can reach something on a higher shelf for me. It restored my faith in us as humans, and I have vowed to myself that if I ever get back to what I was before this all started, I will always help people like they helped me. Trust me, there is still a joy to be found in helping other people.
    Be careful this winter! No slipping allowed! No busted hips! thermacare is good

Now, MR. Welby, How the heck is our D & D group supposed to survive the next two weeks of battles in the fighting pit without your Cleric to save us????? Ulrick would have been well and truly dead last week without you. So I have a solution. Have Dad-in-Law roll up a character, we will bump him up to level 7, and then he can join us for a couple of weeks!!!! j/k have a good time.

Ok , that's it for a while. take care folks.

Sorry! I am sure garaf will make due. Perhaps some good ol' investigation rp type skill check play, which I like and sorry to miss.

Maybe Dwaric or Esslar can brew up some Heal pots for ya to shore up the HP!

Welby, this is just my two cents worth about your cat. I did take my girls to a very nice kennel once that had a separate facility for kitties. They were horrified and spent the whole time in the corner huddled together. When the attendants told me that I was so guilty. So the next time we went off, I think it was for four days also. So I put out extra food, left some lights on, left the radio on, extra water and very important!!!!...an extra kitty potty.

When we got home they were like---*yawn* oh, you're back. So they did very well, but I did worry about them though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iktomi View Post
    While kittehs tend to be much more self-sufficient than pups, 4 days might be pushing it. I'd put 2 clean litter boxes out. The water and food dispenser things are great. Put extra water out though too; it's more important than food for a couple of day. And yes, bribe a friend to check in halfway through. I've personally never been comfy with the kenneling idea, but that's a personal hangup maybe. No matter which path you choose though, be prepared to have the furry one be mad at you for several days after you come back.....or not. I know pups get all "You're back you're back! Wait! You left me I hate you and I will now sit over here and pout and ignore you" when I'm gone that rare extra day. Not sure about the cat type furkids (not a cat person by any stretch of the imagination) /lol
    Thanks the replies,..makes me more confident. I need to buy some extra toys for her and splash them around the place before we leave,..hehe...

Good evening, folks.. not a ton to say here... staring at some bills and paperwork, considering actually dealing with that, but what's the rush, right?

Hope you all had a good day - tomorrow's Friday!

Morning all! Sing the song and do the dance! It's Friday!

I am psyching myself up for the day, and imbibing lots of coffee. There is still a lot of party prep, and last minute cleaning to do, plus I have to find time to curl my hair. I have lost enough weight that I bought a Black Widow costume online and tailored it to fit. My hair is already the right color, but stick-straight.

Also, I have to make a large quantity of jello worms. They really do look pretty gross.

Oh, and it turns out that both of my younger girls will be honored at the "thinking cap assembly" this morning. and both of my older girls need rides to work and school at the same time as the assembly.

Where did I put my *%&$#@ cape???

*holds out cup*

I have a serious case of the "OMG IT'S FRIDAY AND I DON'T WANNA BE STUCK IN THE OFFICE!" My coffee is no longer working.

As for me, I'm very impatiently waiting for the countertops I ordered a month ago to come in so I can finally finish my kitchen. In the grand scheme of things, it could be a lot worse.
    Emderil, Officer of Remnant

Hi Landrovalrim,

Hi EM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope you get your countertops. By the way, I talked to Wilson, our head Barista, and he set up a Chocolate table just for you! (its a kin thing, just roll with it lol)

Now, on to today. Its mini Edjumication time

Today in Military History, three major events occurred. The first two actually impacted not only History and warfare, but actually impacted Literature. The third event brought home the horrors of war in a way that may have helped US warplanners make a major decision that changed the world forever.

The first event was the Battle of Agincourt- A small army of English Bowman, footmen, and Knights, led by King Henry V, drew up on a muddy field by the castle of Agincourt. Opposing them were over 20000 French knights, men at arms, and mercenary bowmen led by the constable of France. The French charged repeatedly and found out the hard way that the English Longbow and bodkin point on the arrow could and did penetrate their armor and the barding of their horses. They ended up trapped in a muddy field in their heavy armor and were slaughtered in their thousands. The day of the heavily armored horseman being the supreme military unit on the battlefield was ending. Henry actually had 3 cannon at the battle, but no account really tells what they did. Nevertheless, the gunpowder age was coming, and society would change.

The second event occurred on a range of hills and valleys at Balaklava in the Crimea. England, France, and Turkey had united to fight Tsarist expansionism (or some such bogus reason) . Unfortunately, the overall commander, Lord Raglan, had actually fought at Waterloo in 1815!!! And warfare had changed since then. With the advent of the minie' ball in the 1820's, it was now easier and faster to load a rifle, as opposed to a musket, and battle ranges were changing. There are a lot of conflicting accounts as to what happened on this day, as to who ordered what and where. The bottom line is that the 600 elite British Cavalrymen of Lord Cardogan's Light Brigade, were launched, not at retreating Russians, but at over 11 battalions of entrenched Russian infantry, armed with over 40 cannons, and backed by cavalry. As the commanders watched the Brigade ride in and realized what was happening, a French general said "It is magnificent, but it is not war"
    The result was predictable. The brigade actually made it to the Russian gun lines before they turned back, but they lost over half of their strength in killed, wounded, and captured. Today, I would amend that French General's statement. "It was magnificent but it was not war. It was stupidity and hubris."

The final event occurred during WWII. On this day, the first recorded, planned Kamikaze attack against the US navy was launched. Japan knew that she was losing the war, and was searching for wonder weapons to turn the tide. They realized that they could never match the trained numbers of US Pilots, and the US planes were rapidly gaining a superior status in battle against the Japanese models. their carriers were devastated by losses, and their armies were slowly being ground down island by island. But if a man was willing to crash his plane into a ship, you didn't have to give him a lot of training to do this, and you could use your older, obsolete planes to do the job. One man, One plane, one ship. By appealing to the code of Bushido, of the high honor of dying for the Emperor, they attracted numerous recruits. These attacks were a very real threat to our ships and men, and caused losses and tremendous casualties. Antiacraft guns sprouted like mushrooms on any ship going into combat. The beating that the picket destroyers took at Okinawa and later at Iwo Jima convinced war planners that an invasion of Japan itself would be devastating. We already knew that many Japanese soldiers fought on until killed, and now they were sending human wave attacks at us by plane. (and believe it or not, they actually developed a human guided torpedo, called a Kaiten) that was used against our shipping.) This helped convinced our planners to use the Atomic bomb instead. I am not saying it was right or wrong. Just saying that the horror of Kamikaze warfare affected the decision.

Now the first battle gave us the great play by Shakespeare, Henvy V. In it are two of the greatest speeches in Literature, the 'Once more into the Breech, dear friends" and the "Feast of St Crispian Band of Brothers" speeches.

The Charge of the Light Brigade gave us Alfred Lord Tennyson's poem of the same name-"Half a league, half a league, half a league onward. In to the valley of Death rode the 600"

The third event may have contributed to the dawn of the nuclear age. So far those are the only two bombs we have ever used, and I pray we keep it that way.

Have a great weekend.
    Kin Leader of Remnant

Today in Military History, three major events occurred. The first two actually impacted not only History and warfare, but actually impacted Literature. The third event brought home the horrors of war in a way that may have helped US warplanners make a major decision that changed the world forever.

Unfortunately, the overall commander, Lord Raglan, had actually fought at Waterloo in 1815!!!

The final event occurred during WWII. On this day, the first recorded, planned Kamikaze attack against the US navy was launched. .

I seem to recall that person, Lord Raglan from a previous edumacation

And coincidentally, I just went through the USS Intrepid museum here in NY, and read and heard alot there about Kamikaze, and the number they did to that ship. I have not heard of those human torpedoes but ugg,...that must of been a nightmare,..I can't imagine what it would be like to be in that thing.

=======
    so as the day comes to a close I loko forward to rushing home and grabbing my backpack. we have a bus to Philly to catch tonight.

I will text ya tomorrow morning , Del, when we get on the train to Mt.Joy, for the Ren faire!

Sorry I won't be around for the D&D's...seems like you'll be getting a break tonight as it were.

Oh,..and got plenty of kitty food and litter, two litters,..rdy to go,,..and a frined will check on her Monday Morning. Thanks all for the help. We'l be back Tuesday night. Then off to upState NY for a few days,..Halloween.

cheers!

-Welby

Thanks for the edumications, Doc. I'm always particularly interested in the Tudor or Plantagenet reign. And speaking of that, do you have any thoughts on Richard III, like, what do you think...did he order the murders of his nephews or no?

howdy peeps. I'm here infrequently, in part because I'm in game infrequently but I always get drawn back. I have no RL friends who play LOTRO and I know very few people on Landroval. Being the kind who doesn't like instancing with strangers as a rule, I tend to wander off when I've done the solo content for a particular area.

I tend to lurk in the coffee house threads even when I don't post. This place reminds me of a thread that began in WoW back in...early 2005 I want to say. Partly for the purpose of seeing if we could break a thread, a guy named Izlude posted something called the Never Ending Thread. We broke it many, many times over before it became its own entity, independent of WoW. Hope this place stays alive as long.

In token of apology for my many long absences, I offer fresh breakfast tacos. Which are good any time of day!

Love the military history stuff. Love the dwarf (and non dwarf) hockey. And your interesting barista...and so forth.

Happy it's not the worst Monday ever Monday. Well, for me it's not, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulkfather View Post
    howdy peeps. I'm here infrequently, in part because I'm in game infrequently but I always get drawn back. I have no RL friends who play LOTRO and I know very few people on Landroval. Being the kind who doesn't like instancing with strangers as a rule, I tend to wander off when I've done the solo content for a particular area.

I tend to lurk in the coffee house threads even when I don't post. This place reminds me of a thread that began in WoW back in...early 2005 I want to say. Partly for the purpose of seeing if we could break a thread, a guy named Izlude posted something called the Never Ending Thread. We broke it many, many times over before it became its own entity, independent of WoW. Hope this place stays alive as long.

In token of apology for my many long absences, I offer fresh breakfast tacos. Which are good any time of day!

Love the military history stuff. Love the dwarf (and non dwarf) hockey. And your interesting barista...and so forth.

Happy it's not the worst Monday ever Monday. Well, for me it's not, anyway.
    You know there's probably several other quotes I should've multi-quoted to reply to, but ah well...

Welcome Mulkfather, i do recall seeing you here about, glad you droped in. Even though it's now afternoon, I do believe I'll take one of those breakfast tacos. And a coffee. It's never too late for a coffee.

Welby hope you got it all sorted out with the kitten. We usually end up with a house sitter who can take care of the cats. We always felt better having someone in the house when we're away.

Val - that is such a sad story about your neighbour. I don't even know what to say.

Iktomi, Griffy, iamstillwater, OBJ - good to see you all.

Doc - loved the edjumication. I read the charge of the light brigade after watching the Blind Side. Nice piece for sure, but so much more hearing the history of the event. War, what is it good for...

Gweann - pictures of the Black Widow! Actually, also heard Eledhwe has a nice costume too but won't post until after Halloween. and congrats to your very smart girls on their "thinking cap" achievements!

I'm planning on a Stadler and Waldorf Jack o'lanterns for this year!

Other random thoughts -
    -- plans are finally in place for a trip to the east coast with Slamteen in a week or so. Hoping things work out to allow a lunch with each of Welby and Delaney.
    -- going to the Canucks vs Washington game tonight! Pumped!
    -- work is getting super busy as year end approaches. Seems like a lot of projects prevoiusly on hold are gearing up before year end.
    -- Have to blame Lorindah and Eledhwe - got introduced to League of Legends this weekend... uh oh... I see a major timesink here!
    -- guess what! I just celebrated my 25th year at my job. How did that happen?!

Good Day Landroval
    [I][COLOR=#40e0d0]Slamfist of Landroval and Silverlode - Slamwise - Slamburger - Slamrat - and Joe[/COLOR][/I]
    [COLOR=#ffff00]< [URL="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=351547"]a Hobbit's Tale[/URL]> < [URL="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?313127"]Behold the Chinchillas![/URL] > [/COLOR]

Good evening, crew... not much to say here, just wanted to drop by and say hello

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast