We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Lightbulb Hunter Soloing Multiple Mobs

Hey there, when soloing as a hunter I find it very difficult to handle many mobs at the same time and was looking for some advice. Skill combos, traits, strategies, anything that will help in the fight against multiple mobs while playing solo. Thanks
    Find me in game on Firefoot, name is Arrionn.

Wink

I usually use this combination for fighting several mobs:

- Rain of Arrows
    - Rain of Thorns
    - Split shot

with the legacy that adds plus x targets

and with the traits:
    - Hail of Arrows (increased critical rating and multiplier for RoA)
    - Arrow Storm (critical hit with RoA resets cd of RoA and split shot) --> actually this makes it very very easy to deal with many mobs because by shooting at e.g. 9 targets you most probably crit at least once so you can actually spam RoA

maybe I missed out something but this combination is a lot of fun!!
    ~ Aneviela Lvl 105 Hunter R9, Crawey Lvl 105 Captain, Anderiela LM - Brandywine ~

~ Chocolate doesn't ask silly questions. Chocolate understands. ~

This should be in the Hunter forum, I think.

That said, use all your skills. Start at 40m range if you can. Focus up. Lay a trap. Use your CC skills to slow, daze, root, fear the mobs. Be smart with your multi-target attacks to not break the aforementioned CC. Hunters also have really good DPS. Burn one down while others are standing still, dazed, running the other way, or moving slowly. Be smart about it.

Or, as the above poster said, burn them all down. You didn't mention your level so that makes part of your question difficult to answer.
    Bruuwnor, Dwarf Champion of Arkenstone, Pipeweed and Ale

You have some options. You can focus on AoE skills and burn your enemies down as fast as possible; this will work for most small groups of landscape mobs, especially when combined with limited CC (traps and Rain of Thorns in particular). I use the traits Hail of Arrows (increases Rain of Arrows crit rating) and Arrow Storm (resets cooldowns for Split Shot & Rain of Arrows when Rain crits), along with a high crit rating, to deal out a lot of AoE damage relatively quickly. Don't forget Low Cut, your melee AoE skill. Use Needful Haste and Fleetness to speed your attacks, and use Intent Concentration and Focus potions when you've emptied your Focus pool during the fight.

You can also focus on CC and take enemies out one at a time. (Remember to avoid bleeds like those from using the Barbed Arrow skill, Fire Oil, or the Low Cut legacy on your CC targets.) Use your trap skill to root 1 enemy for a short time; with the Combat Traps trait it can be placed during combat. You can also use trap items (made by weaponsmiths); I keep triple-traps and one of the single-trap types in my bags.

You have one ranged daze (Distracting Shot, 10s) and one melee daze (Dazing Blow, 5s). Neither will hold an enemy for long, so use wisely. The yellow-line legendary trait (Explosive Arrow) and a minor bow legacy can be used to reduce Distracting Shot's cooldown and increase the daze duration.

The legendary traits Bard's Arrow and Rain of Thorns are both very useful CC skills. Bard's is a 1-target fear; Rain is an AoE root.

You don't need to trait yellow just to use the CC skills, but yellow-traited hunters can be very self-sufficient. This is a video of a hunter soloing 3 elite trolls in Limlight Gorge: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EBJiLCodpc ... you can see him using CC skills all over the place.
    Join the LotRO Volunteer QA Team!
    Use the [url="http://lotrobugs.turbine.com"][color=red]bug reporting tool[/color][/url] or type /bug in-game!*
    [SIZE=1]*no rants please[/size]

Quote Originally Posted by banjolier View Post
    You have some options. You can focus on AoE skills and burn your enemies down as fast as possible; this will work for most small groups of landscape mobs, especially when combined with limited CC (traps and Rain of Thorns in particular). I use the traits Hail of Arrows (increases Rain of Arrows crit rating) and Arrow Storm (resets cooldowns for Split Shot & Rain of Arrows when Rain crits), along with a high crit rating, to deal out a lot of AoE damage relatively quickly. Don't forget Low Cut, your melee AoE skill. Use Needful Haste and Fleetness to speed your attacks, and use Intent Concentration and Focus potions when you've emptied your Focus pool during the fight.

You can also focus on CC and take enemies out one at a time. (Remember to avoid bleeds like those from using the Barbed Arrow skill, Fire Oil, or the Low Cut legacy on your CC targets.) Use your trap skill to root 1 enemy for a short time; with the Combat Traps trait it can be placed during combat. You can also use trap items (made by weaponsmiths); I keep triple-traps and one of the single-trap types in my bags.

You have one ranged daze (Distracting Shot, 10s) and one melee daze (Dazing Blow, 5s). Neither will hold an enemy for long, so use wisely. The yellow-line legendary trait (Explosive Arrow) and a minor bow legacy can be used to reduce Distracting Shot's cooldown and increase the daze duration.

The legendary traits Bard's Arrow and Rain of Thorns are both very useful CC skills. Bard's is a 1-target fear; Rain is an AoE root.

You don't need to trait yellow just to use the CC skills, but yellow-traited hunters can be very self-sufficient. This is a video of a hunter soloing 3 elite trolls in Limlight Gorge: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EBJiLCodpc ... you can see him using CC skills all over the place.

Pretty much all of this, with arrow storm and hail of arrows I can goto the orc/troll camp outside forlaw and pull the entire camp at once and burn em down. You've got just a itty bitty downtime between when RoA goes off and it resets, use that to get an agile rejoinder heal in and keep dps'ng. If you find yourself in the unfortunate position where RoA didn't crit and youre still deep in mobs, cry of the hunter and aoe stun to buy time. Anyone hunter fairly geared should be able to pull this off. If a hunter can solo 2-300k morale bosses they can handle a few mobs at once.
    Ughidontknow rnk 14 hunter...Tripso rnk 6 burg...Izeatzfreepz rnk 8 warg....Yells rnk 10 warleader
    Leader of The Hobbit Syndicate
    "Everyone wants to be the hero and no one wants to be support"

All the above advice is great if you're of a high enough level to have the skills they talk about, but if not, here's some advice to help you get there. (If you don't have Rain of Thorns, boy, are you gonna love it when you do.)

What you need to focus on for this situation is: positioning, and traps.

Positioning means you always start your multi-enemy fights in a situation you create, with a plan for how it'll play out, before firing the first shot. Always start from as far away as possible. Make your first attack a long-induction skill that does a lot of damage, like Swift Bow, so the cost of the time it takes to do it is "free" (happens outside combat). Take out smaller critters first when possible; that keeps them from doing damage to you while you work on the others. If some of the enemies do ranged attacks, take them out first, since they'll be doing damage the whole time. When possible use the terrain to slow your enemies; for instance, if you can attack from a high point on a slope that the enemy can't climb up, forcing them to take a long roundabout way to get to you, you get lots more time to burn them down before they reach you. Never attack someone by right-clicking; that makes your first attack a weak auto-attack, and wastes a chance to start with something stronger before the enemies are coming at you.

Traps have a long cooldown, so you can't use one in every fight without a lot of waiting, so don't waste them on single-target or easy fights; save them for the multiple-enemy fights, but don't forget about them then. If you do set a trap, never make your first target the enemy closest to you; he's going to be the one to hit the trap, after all, and you want the trap to hold him off of you while you work on the other(s). So Tab twice at least; pick the smallest enemy that's not nearest to you for your first target. One exception: if some of the enemies use ranged attacks, they're not likely to end up in your traps anyway, so target them while the melee enemies get caught in your trap.

If you're of a level that you can use crafted traps, make friends with a weaponsmith or look around in Trade and the auction house to get some, especially the Triple Trap; the cooldown is even longer, but with a well-placed Triple Trap you can keep three guys off you while you deal with a fourth, then take the other three one at a time. (You can even combine one crafted trap with one skill trap, to hold off up to four people at once, though the positioning to make that work is really unlikely.) Another trick for triple-traps is to turn them sideways so the same enemy gets caught in one trap, then when they break free they get caught in the next one, and so on; but that's more for dealing with single bosses than groups, so that's for another thread.

Just remember, anyone in a trap has a good chance of breaking free if they take any damage, but a very low chance if they don't, so make sure you never use an AoE attack while you have enemies in traps, because you could end up freeing the very people you worked so hard to pin down. And if you have a Snare trap skill, this is not used for this purpose; Snare doesn't hold someone down, it just gives some DoT (damage over time), so snares are used when you are setting up to fight one big guy for some extra damage, not to handle multiples.
    Last edited by HunterGreen; Oct 21 2013 at 04:02 PM.

Delete. Roll a Champ.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by HunterGreen View Post
    All the above advice is great if you're of a high enough level to have the skills they talk about, but if not, here's some advice to help you get there. (If you don't have Rain of Thorns, boy, are you gonna love it when you do.)

What you need to focus on for this situation is: positioning, and traps.
    I was going to give you rep, but since that doesn't exist anymore, let me just thank you heartily! This is the kind of stuff that took me a while to understand, and even now, it's really helpful to see it all laid out like that. (For the record, I have a level 45 Hunter with an XP Disabler, so more experience than XP.)

I only wish someone would do this for all the other classes I play!

Add some tiny bit of parry and use agile rejoinder. It saves you a lot of worry if stuff respawns out of the blue and you're swamped in mobs.

Proper food vita buff, proper regen food, proper buff scrolls battle/warding, proper hope tokens, proper bow chants and proper resistance food. By proper I mean appropriate for your level.

AoE and multi root and spam whatever and various traps: great when you have time to prepare.
    When just swamped by mobs, agile rejoinder saves the day - and if you have food/scrolls already running, so much better. In-combat, you can pop bowchant and oil very quickly. When they get close (as they always will when it's sudden) use swift stroke for more +parry, blindside to generate focus, use scourging blow to make barb arrow induction-less, use dazing blow when you can, to remove one mob, agile rejoinder whenever cooltime is up...
    Have proper morale potions (you pay like 90 bounder tokens for 25 universal morale pots at barter guy Michel Delving, no excuse not to have a stack or three) --- and please remember to bring the usual wound/fear/disease/poison heals. Focus pots.
    I also slotted low cut bleed on my sidekick LI, I find it silly not to when already using +aoe max.

This means a LOT of buff space used n abused, at least two bags, more likely three. Proper pots proper buffs, remember to use your skills...and will be a-ok.

Some very good advice here. The only point I can think to add is to remember to use Low Cut if a # of mobs reach melee range. Pop that skill to damage up to 3 mobs, plus it gives them a slow so you can run away (kite) and pew-pew a bit more before they reach you again.
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

Quote Originally Posted by Annariel View Post
    I was going to give you rep, but since that doesn't exist anymore, let me just thank you heartily! This is the kind of stuff that took me a while to understand, and even now, it's really helpful to see it all laid out like that.
    Glad it's helpful. Sure took me forever to figure out too -- I think I was into my 40s or 50s before I realized damage is what got people out of traps, for instance. This was my first MMO where I did more than a brief dabbling, and I never had kin or anyone to help me -- the few bits of help I got were all full of terms (like DoT) that no one ever explained, and when I found glossaries online, they didn't help. So this was pretty much all trial and lots and lots of error.

Remember to use Swift Stroke to get your Parry bonus up and running.
    You might also want to look into Fleetness Traiting. Makes shooting on the go so much easier
    Sabian- Hunter85
    All warfare is based on deception

like said before, while lvl-ing there will be times you are not the best geared and since a hunter is not the sturdiest at those moments you will have to stun or root a couple of opponents to survive
    Flixxer - Hunter - Imladris - 100 R7 ---- Danielleth - Minstrel - Imladris - 22
    Zaireth - Rune-keeper - Imladris - 73 -- Ariannasophia - Warden - Imladris - 14
    Flixxer - Champion - Eldar - 54

Here is my hunter process to solo a mob. * Kill monsters in this order: healer, buffer, elite that spawn allies, ranged, mele with no special skill :
    1. Focus
    2. Put a trap (by preference triple trap)
    3. Heart seak the first enemy
    4. Hunter art
    5. Rain of arrows
    6. Split Shoot (1st monster might be dead)
    7. Rain of torns
    8. Barbed arrow
    9. Quick shoot (2nd monster dead)
    10. Swift bow (3rd monster dead)
    11. Blood arrow (4th monster dead)
    12. Penetrating shoot (5th monster dead)
    13. Merciful shoot (6th monster dead)
    14. May use mele skills if something get loose of the trap, ussually everything is dead before that.
    Is this Alternate Playable Character Disorder? :

Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth