We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Will my character change?

I am a little concerned about the expansion. I like my lvl 85 minstrel the way he is. Will he be changed and I lose some of his skills? I read a dev article about new trees for each class. I like to both heal and attack, and my character does it well. It looked liked you could only choose 1 of three trees. Could someone please enlighten me. Thanks!

The Prancing Pony, usually I'm drunk in a corner
    You pick your main tree and spend points in it, but you can also spend points in another tree.

Yes, you will lose some skills.

Glorgnorbor
    Happy Halloween!
    Did everyone get a bugged signature? My BB code doesn't work anymore

Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy

...& you will win others earlier than used to be. Also the ones will stay, will increse in potency. This is to eliminate redundant skills. So don't panic is not a bad thing. You will get less skills but will not reduce abilities.
    You still will be able to heal & attack. The lines of the class traits & their function will reman. Just they will be organized in trees. & you will not need to travel to the bard anymore but change the class trait window to use another tree.
    Last edited by YamydeAragon; Oct 20 2013 at 07:57 PM.
    Is this Alternate Playable Character Disorder? :

Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth

Yes, your character will change. What we know is they are entirely changing the skill design. Instead of the skills you currently have, they'll be reduced and altered. In this video they provided, when switching traits, skills entirely disappeared from the bars, and different ones popped up.

As they say, there will be base skills that will be available no matter how you are traited. Some skills you used to have won't even exist anymore. There will be new skills, perhaps combining multiple old skills.

They have made it clear if you choose to get skills from another traitline, it'll be costly, meaning you'll have fewer points to spend in your main traitline and possibly reduced effectiveness overall. Consider it an entirely new class and an entirely new character. The only things not changing are virtue traits, gender, race and name.

The legacies on your legendaries are going to change too, those correlated to skills which have been eliminated they have said will change to something else to match a new skill.
    Link to our community LOTRO store google spreadsheet pricelist and conversion rates, please contribute too!: https://goo.gl/wxPqCm

My Toons

I downloaded the beta and played but do not like it. Now I have this problem, when ever I try to start the regular lotro ,I still get the beta.. All my other toons are gone. No matter how many times I try I can not get my regular toons back. I need them back
    tell me how or help me to get them back.

The Prancing Pony, usually I'm drunk in a corner
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom58 View Post
    I downloaded the beta and played but do not like it. Now I have this problem, when ever I try to start the regular lotro ,I still get the beta.. All my other toons are gone. No matter how many times I try I can not get my regular toons back. I need them back
    NDA buddy, you'll probably be banned now.
    Did everyone get a bugged signature? My BB code doesn't work anymore

Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy

Quote Originally Posted by robbie1435 View Post
    Total nonsense. Yes, officially you can get banned for breaking the NDA. But lets keep some perspective here: asking for help to get back into the normal game without leaking any information of beta is hardly a bannable offence, at most a ban from beta might be appropriate. And anyway, it's up to Turbine to educate/warn/punish people, users should stop pestering others about this.
    Mind this isn't targeted at you specifically, but I've seen similar reactions ("oh you broke the NDA by mentioning beta, you'll be totally banned") quite a lot recently.

@Tom58: Make sure you actually start the regular Lotro client and not the beta client. You should have it installed in a completely different directory, best use the Windows Explorer to find the regular game directory and start TurbineInvoker.exe from there and avoid the links in the start menu (as the names there aren't always clear).
    Used to play: 85 Champ / Captain / Runekeeper / Guardian, Guild Master of everything but cooking.
    Playing now: Hellcat / King Tiger / GW Panther / IS / KV-5 / M4 Sherman and more

I haven't seen anybody dev comments saying they lifted the NDA for beta so to even say you were in seems like it could be trouble but I'm not the community manager so not my job to police people.

In the past betas you had separate downloads for Bullroarer and live. I suggest you go to your programs and look for the Lord of the Rings Online folder and start your .exe file from there for the appropriate live version. Take the icon off your tray at the bottom of your screen if it pins itself there before you do it. My guess is the Bullroarer icon got pinned over top of your old live icon.

I'm just as worried that there's no raids or instances included as I am about changes to my class - both are concerning to me. I guess we'll all find out when the expansion goes live if we like it or not afterwards.
    I'd explain it to you, but I'm all out of Puppets and Crayons.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    GLADDEN SERVER
    Moochy, 105 Minstrel R10

Quote Originally Posted by skylight112 View Post
    I am a little concerned about the expansion. I like my lvl 85 minstrel the way he is. Will he be changed and I lose some of his skills? I read a dev article about new trees for each class. I like to both heal and attack, and my character does it well. It looked liked you could only choose 1 of three trees. Could someone please enlighten me. Thanks!
    I would expect there to be many changes to classes. Switching from LOTRO's unique virtue system to a skill-based tree system can only limit what you can do on your character. The devs have already also mentioned that they wanted to reduce the amount of 'skill bloat' that classes currently have. To me, this sounds like they don't like for us to have a lot of skills and just want us to have a few that we use normally.

We have to wait until NDA drops to hear from the beta testers to see what exactly is going on with the class skill trees since the devs have been so very vague about them in their dev diaries.
    Chromite (Hunter) - Grumbletocks (Guardian) on Landroval, Appendage (Hunter) on Brandywine

Thanks for the help. When you say only virtue is not changing, does that mean like traits like will are? So all the effort, time, care I've put into getting my will up 2200 will have been wasted?

Quote Originally Posted by skylight112 View Post
    Thanks for the help. When you say only virtue is not changing, does that mean like traits like will are? So all the effort, time, care I've put into getting my will up 2200 will have been wasted?
    Will, Vitality and the like are stats, not traits or virtues, and are mostly determined by your gear. It is very unlikely that Turbine will change existing gear, or replace Will as your primary stat. So no, that effort isn't wasted directly. But as level cap is raised again there will be new gear for level 95 with probably much better/higher stats.
    Used to play: 85 Champ / Captain / Runekeeper / Guardian, Guild Master of everything but cooking.
    Playing now: Hellcat / King Tiger / GW Panther / IS / KV-5 / M4 Sherman and more

Exclamation

The Stat Functions & the Virtues ARE NOT going to be changed on Helms Deep. I don't know why people keep saying that they will change. The devs stated the the only thing that will be changed is the class traits & legendary traits, with the skills affected by those traits. The clases will be the same The current healers will heal, dpsers will dps & tanks will tank (excluding the oddballs like the ones that join the fellowship spot as healer but at middle combat say that they will not heal ).
    Is this Alternate Playable Character Disorder? :

Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth

Hallo friends

Im new here, so dont know Lotro rules - if i dont have HD , i will have this changes of classes? Or, it will be only for people who buy HD?
    thank you
    Bothomir (Captain from Gondor)

In these dark days, we have to fight hand in hand - all free people of Middle-Earth.
    It is our only hope...Belive in light in our hearts...

Quote Originally Posted by roger777 View Post
    Im new here, so dont know Lotro rules - if i dont have HD , i will have this changes of classes? Or, it will be only for people who buy HD?
    Mechanics changes like this apply to everyone, you don't have to buy the expansion for it.
    Buying expansions is generally only required to unlock the included quests and instances.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom58 View Post
    Be sure to select your server on the live client. It will default to the first server and show you no characters available.

Quote Originally Posted by roger777 View Post
    Hallo friends

thank you
    Hallo!

The class changes are going to happen to everyone, whether you buy the HD expansion or not.

They will be be put in the game the same time as the Helm's Deep expansion launches.

Edited to add: oops! Didn't see the answer posted earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by robbie1435 View Post
    I think he will be ok. Yes, he should have never said he was in the beta, but he is just asking for help getting back to the regular game. I'm guessing maybe a "don't do it again" warning and help getting back into the game.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Quote Originally Posted by KuriosLOTR View Post
    Be sure to select your server on the live client. It will default to the first server and show you no characters available.
    In the past, closed beta was on a different server and required a different client altogether from the main client. So one problem might be in using the wrong client (people have made the mistake in the past of installing beta on top of their real game, oops).
    Although if the closed beta is on "bullroarer" then it's probably same client and just the wrong server is selected.

As far as NDA goes, I think it's just one demerit for goofing up this way. Banning involves having a certain number of demerits over a time period. Now if someone said "I'm in beta and here's all the info I found out!" then that would be multiple demerits in one go and could involve banning.