We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38
  1. #1

    Why aren't you in Beta?

    We all have different reason for not participating in Beta. What is yours?
    • Don't want spoilers?
    • Feel you don't have time to provide good feedback?
    • Feel like you won't be listened to?
    • Don't have a code because you have chosen not to get one of the free codes that Turbine has given away on Facebook (the last campaign lasted for over 48 hours, so everyone had a chance to get one), and have chosen not to ask in Global or in a large kinship like other players have done to get a code?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    448
    • Unwilling to agree to an NDA.
    Join the LotRO Volunteer QA Team!
    Use the [url="http://lotrobugs.turbine.com"][color=red]bug reporting tool[/color][/url] or type /bug in-game!*
    [SIZE=1]*no rants please[/size]

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    The Prancing Pony, usually I'm drunk in a corner
    Posts
    3,299
    • Don't want to ruin the storyline/content for myself before it goes live.


    Glorgnorbor
    Happy Halloween!
    Did everyone get a bugged signature? My BB code doesn't work anymore
    ____________________________

    Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    465
    • Not on Facebook, and unwilling to create a dummy account just to get a beta key.


    And I have no idea what you're talking about with codes coming from glff or large kinships. That doesn't happen on any of my servers.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    The Prancing Pony, usually I'm drunk in a corner
    Posts
    3,299
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Howell View Post
    • Not on Facebook, and unwilling to create a dummy account just to get a beta key.


    And I have no idea what you're talking about with codes coming from glff or large kinships. That doesn't happen on any of my servers.
    Especially when you have to share your friends list, email, name, picture, etc with a company you know nothing about and could easily steal your ID.

    Glorgnorbor
    Happy Halloween!
    Did everyone get a bugged signature? My BB code doesn't work anymore
    ____________________________

    Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by banjolier View Post
    • Unwilling to agree to an NDA.

    same here. I believe there shouldn't be any secrets and they should have disclosed this expansion 3 weeks ago! I don't like surprises, not since I was 12 or so. What I'd like to see is the truth of whats coming, not some spin on how I should feel about it.
    Mean what you say and say what you mean! If you don't there are always consequences!

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by LaGere View Post
    same here. I believe there shouldn't be any secrets and they should have disclosed this expansion 3 weeks ago! I don't like surprises, not since I was 12 or so. What I'd like to see is the truth of whats coming, not some spin on how I should feel about it.
    Well, having testing of a product in development occur under NDA is actually due to a much more serious reason than a penchant for keeping secrets. It's because testers see the product in a very unfinished state in order to actually contribute testing.

    Since people tend not to listen very much to notices like "all details subject to change" when they get info, creating talk about bugged content, unfinished textures and dead-end questlines will create a lot more negative word-of-mouth than is actually warranted, as most of these are fixed before launch. This has been the case with all prior LOTRO expansions, and I can't actually imagine a beta testing of any software that doesn't follow that pattern. The NDA is in such cases are meant to keep the discussion to actually informed people until such time as it's fit to actually show to the public.



    For the actual topic of the thread: I avoid betas since I want to see the new content in the right context, and I'm not sure I'd actually be a very good tester since my playtime is already limited.

  8. #8
    • No time to test properly
    • Worried I won't have enough time to get enough Bounder Tokens before the 18th to get things I want
    Club Éclair-Second Servings members are at 19 trainings or below.
    I can't fit all my Tortoise Stone Bearers in my sig anymore.
    This August will be our 7th Annual Month a' the Chicken on Landy!

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadd_EU View Post
    Well, having testing of a product in development occur under NDA is actually due to a much more serious reason than a penchant for keeping secrets. It's because testers see the product in a very unfinished state in order to actually contribute testing.

    Since people tend not to listen very much to notices like "all details subject to change" when they get info, creating talk about bugged content, unfinished textures and dead-end questlines will create a lot more negative word-of-mouth than is actually warranted, as most of these are fixed before launch. This has been the case with all prior LOTRO expansions, and I can't actually imagine a beta testing of any software that doesn't follow that pattern. The NDA is in such cases are meant to keep the discussion to actually informed people until such time as it's fit to actually show to the public.



    For the actual topic of the thread: I avoid betas since I want to see the new content in the right context, and I'm not sure I'd actually be a very good tester since my playtime is already limited.
    This is not a real beta test. This is all about marketing and revenue. They are getting paid by some Facebook company. Players give the facebook company their personal info, it gets sold to other companies, and Turbine gets a fee.

    The whole point of a beta is that it's feature complete. All that is left is tweaking. The programmers likely have reams of bugs to fix from the real, internal beta they ran before this phony one.

  10. #10
    - Can't be bothered to waste my time playing a game that's just gonna be wiped in a few weeks. My time is limited enough already.

  11. #11
    I'm not being paid to do it.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Gallifrey. I need a Jelly Baby.
    Posts
    18,073
    Video card is dead, all I can do now is play on an old laptop. I probably could get the beta to run, but my heart is not into it.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    254
    Quote Originally Posted by trancejeremy View Post
    This is not a real beta test. This is all about marketing and revenue. They are getting paid by some Facebook company. Players give the facebook company their personal info, it gets sold to other companies, and Turbine gets a fee.

    The whole point of a beta is that it's feature complete. All that is left is tweaking. The programmers likely have reams of bugs to fix from the real, internal beta they ran before this phony one.
    I can't say much about the Facebook thing, though I doubt Turbine gets a kickback from that.

    From my experience in every closed beta from MoM to RoR and none of them were phony betas. All of them have had issues being addressed during the beta. MoM a bit less than the later ones.
    [CENTER][COLOR=#00cc00][B]Founding Member: Sapience Fan Club and Adoration Society[/B][/COLOR]
    [/CENTER]

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,544
    Quote Originally Posted by trancejeremy View Post
    The whole point of a beta is that it's feature complete. All that is left is tweaking. The programmers likely have reams of bugs to fix from the real, internal beta they ran before this phony one.
    Ideally that would be true, but based on the Rohan beta I can assure you that it wasn't even close to feature complete when it started (not by my definition at least). Key NPCs missing, quests not completable, endgame (Hytbold) only implemented after half of beta was over already. Mounted combat was there, but barely playable (not talking about lags here).
    And this time they not only have new content, but also a total class rework, a changed threat concept and a new instance system. I don't want to imagine how much of that actually worked at the start of this beta.
    Used to play: 85 Champ / Captain / Runekeeper / Guardian, Guild Master of everything but cooking.
    Playing now: Hellcat / King Tiger / GW Panther / IS / KV-5 / M4 Sherman and more

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,677
    I haven't participated in a beta for over 2 years now. Basically, I can't put in the time to make it useful, and don't really want to know everything about the story and gameplay before it arrives.

    The NDA isn't a problem - I've participated in dozens of NDA testing programs over the past 20 years, and generally see them as useful (whether I'm asking someone else to sign an NDA for my own product, or whether I'm signing one for someone else's). Developing in a fishbowl is just isn't a great idea, IMO.

    Khafar

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by robbie1435 View Post
    Especially when you have to share your friends list, email, name, picture, etc with a company you know nothing about and could easily steal your ID.
    This.

    I was going to snag a beta code from the recent promotion, until I found out it involves some 3rd party FB app. I have an FB account and "liked" Lotro long ago, but I do not give access to my FB info to any apps.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/012030000001211b1/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,349
    No FB for me, thank you.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Kansas!
    Posts
    4,702
    I don't want to be in the beta.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0320201000027b3ee/signature.png]Mummy[/charsig]
    Ancient spider of the moors

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Glarinsdal, Roaring Road 1
    Posts
    51
    I instantly got my beta-code when it was available the first time. Got no problems with the NDA neither. What bugs me is, that i have to fully download the Game a second time.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    4,345
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnvald View Post
    I instantly got my beta-code when it was available the first time. Got no problems with the NDA neither. What bugs me is, that i have to fully download the Game a second time.
    Apparently you do have a problem with the NDA because you just violated it?
    I'd explain it to you, but I'm all out of Puppets and Crayons.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    GLADDEN SERVER
    Moochy, 105 Minstrel R10

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Gallifrey. I need a Jelly Baby.
    Posts
    18,073
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaniemooch View Post
    Apparently you do have a problem with the NDA because you just violated it?

    But he is replying to a thread asking why isn't he in Beta. He may have just never used the code and is explaining why not.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    12,628
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    But he is replying to a thread asking why isn't he in Beta. He may have just never used the code and is explaining why not.
    I *suppose* that to say one has received a Beta invitation but didn't use it, while it comes near to
    the NDA line, doesn't cross it. What it comes down to is saying "I'm not in Beta" when that is a true
    statement.

    It is not disclosing any information about Beta. Indeed, it is stating that the poster has no information
    to disclose.

    Except that Beta is running, and we all knew that.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    1,693
    For me, if I am not in a Beta test it is most likely that I just don't have the time. However, any time I've had the chance to participate in the beta testing for any game, the experience tends to be fun. Regardless of what "stage" the product is actually in, it is always fun interacting directly with the developers and helping them to get everything ready for the public.
    Dagranhad - Burglar | Aldgarea - Loremaster | Barathrothir - Hunter | Golladhar - Captain

  24. #24
    Don't want to ruin the storyline/content for myself before it goes live.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,647
    Quote Originally Posted by StarLightning View Post
    We all have different reason for not participating in Beta. What is yours?

    • Because there is already enough potential for disappointment in real life.
    [CENTER]
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=White]The [/COLOR][/SIZE][URL="http://thenoldor.guildlaunch.com"][SIZE=3][B]NOLDOR[/B][/SIZE][/URL][SIZE=1][COLOR=White] of Arkenstone[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [/CENTER]

 

 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload