We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Customizable pets for the Animal friend Lm

Many MMOs allow players to strengthen their pets with armors and other items to improve their effectivity. For example it would be nice to eqip a bear with a chain armor or something. Pet skins are already in the game. The UI to customize your pet could be the same like the skirmish soldier UI. Why are we only allowed short time food buffs ?

In my opinion it would add a lot of fun, new objectives and open many options for Lore-master gameplay. Posting it here because beta class forum is dominated by alt Lms, retired Lms and creeps in Lm costumes.

What do other Lms think about it ?

Evernight : Tanick R13 Lm ~ Wakkawakka R10 Def
    Morthond : Mandridar R9 Lm ~ Cragstone R9 Wvr

Some players will say, that you have already skirmish soldier for that. Some players will say it is against lore.
    You can have customizable pets also without armor. On live you have 3 direct traits for it. And lets wait until HD, what expansion brings for pets.

Posting it here because beta class forum is dominated by alt Lms, retired Lms and creeps in Lm costumes.
    First rule of beta is no talking about beta. You said indirect, that you are in beta.
    Ich bin kein Deutscher, sorry für Grammatik
    Eglish isn't my first language, sorry for mistakes

Im prety sure that my LM have more bear species appearance skills than she have outfits. If any i wish i can optain those store only talisman somehow in game. even if is rare drop from lootboxes or instances. Also, bears have very tick skin. You will have a hard time fighting them as it is, without needing to put them clothes. Also this set ground for a bear dressing a pink dress. So don't want to see that in game.
    Is this Alternate Character Disorder? :

Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth

While improving the stats of our pets is always an attractive topic, I personally am not at all interested in putting armor or outfits on pets. He's a wild animal that deigns to ally with me, not Barbie's Dream Raven.

And, as said by others, we have traits we can equip that achieve this OP's goals admirably. Having to sacrifice from red line and yellow line to get these blue line advantages is just the price you pay to choose that playstyle.

Other than wishing that the pets had scaled more compatibly with their LM friends through the levels, the only real change I'd campaign to see is for there to be a small version of the eagle akin to the tundra cub skin we have for the bear. The eagle is a great pet but he doesn't deserve to be such a hindrance to other people in my fellowship and he definitely shouldn't make other people at the vault curse me.

So, How about it devs? Talisman of the Lorien Eyas would be a nice addition to the game. Gold with black-barred wings and a black head... He could be a real looker!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ingiogal View Post
    ...the only real change I'd campaign to see is for there to be a small version of the eagle akin to the tundra cub skin we have for the bear... Talisman of the Lorien Eyas would be a nice addition to the game. Gold with black-barred wings and a black head... He could be a real looker!
    I guess you mean a dwarven sized eagle because i can't imagine a featherless eagle chick flying. If any the eagle chick should be straffing behind my LM. But yah the eagle must get out my Line Of Sight. It is pretty difficult to see & even target my enemies with that huge forever molting feathers bird on my way. The [Talisman of the Lorien Eyas] could be a item or recipe gated with Galadrim reputation.

No, not outfit skins. I mean give animal friends Lm a UI like this to give items to your pet and customize it :

For example some armor for your bear. Then change the look of the bear according to the new armor item in the item slot, e.g. :

Quote Originally Posted by -Tanyc- View Post
    No, not outfit skins. I mean give animal friends Lm a UI like this to give items to your pet and customize it :
    For example some armor for your bear. Then change the look of the bear according to the new armor item in the item slot, e.g. :
    The responses you got read like they completely understood what you were asking for. They said things in response to *you* like this...

-- it would be against lore to dress up your bear in armor (or clothes for that matter) as animal companions in The Lord of the Rings were not cartoons or humanized creations. They were animals. Yes, today, we might dress a chihuahua up in a nifty jacket when we take it out in the cold.... and yes, I supposed that years ago people would dress a performing bear in a circus up in a frilly tutu... but in general this is not a very dignified thing to do to an animal, and if the animal has anything to say about it, it will generally reject the notion of being dressed up. A Lore Master doesn't hypnotize an animal to do his/her bidding. This is *still* a wild animal that they communicate with and have accompany them as a friend. Thus dressing it up in armor is not only something that was not done in Middle Earth, but doesn't make sense as to something you could do with a wild (and ferocious) beast. If it wasn't done in Middle Earth, you really can't expect to see it done in LotRO.

-- a UI that would enable you to give items to your pet... what, as in give items to be carried like a pack animal? Does the animal have pockets we don't know about? Would this then require that the equivalent of saddlebags be put on the animal so that it could carry these things?

-- a UI that would enable you to give *skills* to the pet? You don't give skills to the pet in LotRO. The LM uses skills to enhance the animal's abilities. Those skills are the LMs... not the pets.
    [CENTER][URL="http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Main_Page"][IMG]http://lotro-wiki.com/images/e/e4/Lw-logo.png[/IMG][/URL][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][URL="http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Social:Kinships_of_Vilya"]Vilya Kinships[/URL] - [URL="http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Social:Lost_Alliance"]Lost Alliance[/URL] - [URL="http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/User:Tuveneil"]Me[/URL][/CENTER]

... ...
    I got it! Those are prety pictures. The only problem is this is not D3 or The Golden Compass Online. Bongart just sumarized it pretty well. & as i recall, the talking polar bear called the girl his pet, so he was the "LM" .
    Last edited by YamydeAragon; Oct 19 2013 at 05:48 PM.

Thanks for reminding me about that movie, it was a nice refreshing to see it again. Let me remind you that these people where nothing like the Lore Masters in LOTRO, so the rules don't apply. The bear there was a person not a animal. The animal like cretures that follow the people werent really animals, but the soul of the people & part of them. In LOTRO the animals are simply wild creatures, individual to the Lore Master friend. They could ran off if they please. They are with the Lore Master by choice not by force. You cannot put them a lace or clothes.

I don't even know the film or book. I know this is not d3 and that's fine. But why not implement that feature ?

I don't even know the film or book. I know this is not d3 and that's fine. But why not implement that feature ?
    Why not? Because there is nothing to be given to your pet.
    Why not? Because there are no skills to be given to your pet.

So... you want some kind of menu to be implemented where you can give "stuff" to your pet... but the only "stuff" you can think of specifically is armor. So, you want a menu to allow you to give your pet armor.

It doesn't matter that pets in this game will never be like pets in other games... because in all of Tolkien's writings, any animal companions were never like pets from video games. That doesn't matter to you, does it? You don't know the films or the books, but yet you want to know why animal companions can't be the same as other video games. Don't you think that maybe if you did read the books or see the movies, you'd better understand why what you want isn't going to happen? Ok. You don't want to read the books or see the movies... so then why aren't you listening to us when we tell you that what you want isn't going to happen, and WHY it isn't going to happen?

*sigh* What EXACTLY is this "stuff" that you want to be giving to a pet, in this UI menu you want added to the game?
    [CENTER][URL="http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Main_Page"][IMG]http://lotro-wiki.com/images/e/e4/Lw-logo.png[/IMG][/URL][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][URL="http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Social:Kinships_of_Vilya"]Vilya Kinships[/URL] - [URL="http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Social:Lost_Alliance"]Lost Alliance[/URL] - [URL="http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/User:Tuveneil"]Me[/URL][/CENTER]