We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I am among those that are annoyed by this forced double-experience month. So, I've seen the signs coming, but is this game really bound to cater to the needs of people that only value how high is the number under their character portraits? Way to go, Turbine.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBor View Post
    I am among those that are annoyed by this forced double-experience month. So, I've seen the signs coming, but is this game really bound to cater to the needs of people that only value how high is the number under their character portraits? Way to go, Turbine.
    I like it, even though I don't care that much about the time it takes to gain a level. These boosts enhance my play. I would not object to an off switch ... but I wonder whether implementing individual toggles are worth the hassle to make for time limited world properties.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

Only yesterday I realised that the buff is here for the whole month and not just for the weekend. For me it is a very unwelcome buff, but I see people around started leveling their forgotten alts... Good, maybe we will have a bit more high-level toons on my server.

As for me, I stopped playing the new alt I rolled a couple of weeks ago. Have to wait now till the buff is gone. I have no intention to buy one more XP disabler only because there is a buff I did not ask for.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufkin View Post
    4) Play as you normally would, and when you out-level the area you are in just keep playing in that area. Nobody is forcing you to play the areas at your level. LotRO is not a difficult game, so making it a little easier is really not a big deal.
    Unfortunately, this suggestion is not working for me. Normally I would do the class deeds on the way, and those can't be completed on the grey mobs. Normally I would complete the quest deeds in every area as I level. Normally I would attempt the harder quests (I have a personal list of those and it starts at lvl10) with every new class/toon I play (the class can repeat, but then I select different set of gear, different questing path etc) just to check the capabilities of this alt - no sense in doing that on grey mobs. Extra XP spoils all my plans. Though I like your 5th suggestion a lot
    Ishtarien - Captain 100
    Ishtarel - HNT 100 / Ishtaridas - LRM 100 / Cabernetta - GRD 100 / Ishtari - RNK 100 / Ishti - BRG 100 / Lunasa - MNS 100 / Medovinus - BRN 100
    The Mellowship - [EN] Eldar -> [EN] Evernight

Quote Originally Posted by Lur View Post
    As the title suggests, i would like you, Turbine, to disable the double XP "feature" for my account. I do not wish to gain twice as much xp, it is entirely unwanted and absurd. If anything, this should have been optional from the beginning. It actively keeps me from playing the game at my pace. For the future, it would be a good start to actually think about the consequences of your actions before you introduce ridiculous "features". A double XP month is ridiculous.
    In your opinion, it may be ridiculous, but many people I know, are extremely happy about it and are using it to full advantage...

Put me in the neutral camp dont love it dont hate it....just saved up some TPs and bought myself a tortoise paper weight *shrugs*

this thread is just silly its not gonna get disable deal with it

I have recently returned to this game after more than a year hiatus and started a new character on a new server to try to immerse myself in the game again. I even talked a friend who left the game several years ago into joining me in-game once again. We were having fun in Middle Earth again until the double xp began and we began to rapidly outlevel all of the starting areas. Until/unless the xp disablers are put on sale again, I will not purchase more than one, if one. So for the next month, I am going to make alts to play the festival events to gather bounders tokens for horses rather than leveling my new main when I do play this game instead of another. When the festival is over I will head to another game. *Sigh* I do not know if my friend will be willing to return to LoTRO again.
    "After much consideration the mystery meat inside the cafeteria burritos shall remain a mystery. Trust us, it's better that way."

Last night I played for an entire hour with no XP disabler, gained a level, watched all my quests drop a rank, then put the disabler back on. I have to play with the disabler on 90% of the time, and most of my time is spent trying to clear out over leveled quests; green and light blue. Seems I have to level is skips. Get the green and light blue quests done, take off the disabler, gain a level then put it back on to clear out the quests I just over leveled. So basically 9/10 of the time my characters levels are at a stand still. Nothing more fun the spending weeks with no forward momentum in game because I am having to finish lower level quests for no XP.

Now I suppose if you like skipping content you paid for, or just like waltzing in and out of quests with out drawing agro; and as such make no effort on your part, you like this. I don't. It's not gambling if there is no chance to lose, it's not questing if there is no chance of failure.

Good news everyone!

Sapience announced over in this thread Game philosophy change - game world immersion or end game race that the XP disablers are on sale. Use coupon code SLOWME, up to 5 times per account, for a 25% discount.

Quote Originally Posted by Seschat View Post
    Good news everyone!

Sapience announced over in this thread Game philosophy change - game world immersion or end game race that the XP disablers are on sale. Use coupon code SLOWME, up to 5 times per account, for a 25% discount.
    And I would like to thank Turbine once again for throwing us this particular bone. It is welcome, despite what some trolls in this thread have said, or what they're able to wraps their minds around.

Btw Seschat, I'm an immigrant from the Rogue Isles. We're villains- What's ours is OURS!

Quote Originally Posted by manstan View Post
    Last night I played for an entire hour with no XP disabler, gained a level, watched all my quests drop a rank, then put the disabler back on. I have to play with the disabler on 90% of the time, and most of my time is spent trying to clear out over leveled quests; green and light blue. Seems I have to level is skips. Get the green and light blue quests done, take off the disabler, gain a level then put it back on to clear out the quests I just over leveled. So basically 9/10 of the time my characters levels are at a stand still. Nothing more fun the spending weeks with no forward momentum in game because I am having to finish lower level quests for no XP.

Now I suppose if you like skipping content you paid for, or just like waltzing in and out of quests with out drawing agro; and as such make no effort on your part, you like this. I don't. It's not gambling if there is no chance to lose, it's not questing if there is no chance of failure.
    I am in a leveling group on Landroval called Club Eclair. We set a level cap and do the quests available - usually 5 levels above the character level. Currently, we are Level 20 and have completed almost all quests and deeds up to Level 25.

It does help the adventure to have risk - though content 5 levels above character level is still soloable without much risk.

We don't see a loss of forward momentum because our goal is not to get XP. It is to have an adventure. On Oct 28 we are railing the level cap to 23 - and opening up a new set of adventures (level 26 to 28).

Those I played with used to hate bonus XP weekends (weeks) - but we are not the majority and Turbine needs customers. We are pleased that we have a Disabler now where we can avoid these "gifts". We make good use of them.

MadeOfLions is online now The Lord of the Rings Online Team
    Turbine, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiempko View Post
    We don't see a loss of forward momentum because our goal is not to get XP. It is to have an adventure. On Oct 28 we are railing the level cap to 23 - and opening up a new set of adventures (level 26 to 28).
    I think this is awesome, a very cool idea.

MoL

Wonder how fast I can deed up 300TP? I have one character in need, and I usually let deeds do themselves, so I have a lot half to three quarters done already .

At one time I was an avid reader. Through my teens I read a lot of sword and sorcery books, trilogies, series.... Well you get it. I see a good game much like a book, and I intend to read every word at my pace

In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfLions View Post
    I think this is awesome, a very cool idea.

MoL
    Really MOL?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiempko;6970402[/FONT
    On Oct 28 we are railing the level cap to 23 - and opening up a new set of adventures (level 26 to 28).
    Lots of us do this.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

How long is this supposed to last, exactly? I can't seem to find any info on that. Personally, I don't care how many people are complaining, my wife and I are having a lot of fun leveling characters that we didn't figure would ever get to the current cap, and let me tell you also, that it's NOT fun to do the same content seven times in a row. We have now completed every quest in Enedwaith and Forochel on 3 separate sets of characters, and it's old hat. I'm sorry that some of you are being forced to buy XP disablers, that's a stupid mechanic and one that Turbine should've implemented for free, just like EVERY OTHER MAJOR MMO.

Different classes get a few different quests. Out side of quest chains quests don't need to be done in the same order. Different classes also require you to do the same quests differently.
    So even though my 7 characters are treading the same ground, it's different for each one.

Different classes get a few different quests. Out side of quest chains quests don't need to be done in the same order. Different classes also require you to do the same quests differently.
    So even though my 7 characters are treading the same ground, it's different for each one.
    There are some small differences between characters - but there is a huge amount of overlap. Particularly in the realm of deeds. How many times can you slaughter 450 spiders in the Barrow Downs? The XP one gets from deeds (indirectly) creates an outleveling problem more severe than the outleveling from quests - particularly slayer deeds. 360 creatures at 300 XP each = 108,000 XP.

One can wait until they are gray - but what mind-numbing boredom! That's not an entertaining way to spend an evening.

More importantly, there is a matter of time. A player who would like to limit their play to a few hours per week isn't going to want to level a second or third character to 50th level to xplore the content that another character out leveled (due to forced XP). Rather, "I want to explore it with the 50th level character I already have."

Quote Originally Posted by fraxcat View Post
    How long is this supposed to last, exactly? I can't seem to find any info on that. Personally, I don't care how many people are complaining, my wife and I are having a lot of fun leveling characters that we didn't figure would ever get to the current cap, and let me tell you also, that it's NOT fun to do the same content seven times in a row. We have now completed every quest in Enedwaith and Forochel on 3 separate sets of characters, and it's old hat. I'm sorry that some of you are being forced to buy XP disablers, that's a stupid mechanic and one that Turbine should've implemented for free, just like EVERY OTHER MAJOR MMO.
    November 18th, when Helm's Deep is supposed to be released (barring complications).

When I say I don't deed, I mean I have a bunch of low level, done quick deeds, to do on most of my characters. Just getting a few done in the low level areas netted me 280TP in about 10 hours of play, just with my main. If it turns in to a grind I just try to avoid it. But slayer deeds are best done green, for me. I hate having to chase something down to kill it

When I say I don't deed, I mean I have a bunch of low level, done quick deeds, to do on most of my characters. Just getting a few done in the low level areas netted me 280TP in about 10 hours of play, just with my main. If it turns in to a grind I just try to avoid it. But slayer deeds are best done green, for me. I hate having to chase something down to kill it
    Deeds are best done red.

My companions and I make our own quests. They may involve going to some ruins to find some ancient box or a body (where bodies or random treasure chests are known to appear), or to patrol a length of road from one town to another, or to assault a known Orc camp to thin their numbers and leave them unable to launch an attack themselves.

With the XP disabler, it is possible to keep the quests red, and that keeps them adventure some.

Those I played with used to hate bonus XP weekends (weeks) - but we are not the majority and Turbine needs customers. We are pleased that we have a Disabler now where we can avoid these "gifts". We make good use of them.
    It's just a shame the lure of $$$ overcame their belief this was a bad system that was never going to happen - to accurately paraphrase what was said earlier in this thread.

They didn't do it because players were asking for it, it wasn't some altruistic action it was simply corporate greed, which is sadly what Turbine descended to from the moral high ground they occupied back when the game launched.

Quote Originally Posted by Eartholloth View Post
    Sorry but that won't happen. Only way you can disable it is buy a xp disabler in the store.
    And that would disable all of his exp so the only choice he has is ...

1. Suck it up and earn double exp, out leveling his quests and ruining his game.
    2. BUY a disabler (which at even the current 25% is extortionately priced) and earn no exp at all, meaning his character won't progress at all during this month and again ruining his game.
    3. Stop playing for a month.

Yeah great options there .. NOT

Quote Originally Posted by Edrogar View Post
    And that would disable all of his exp so the only choice he has is ...

1. Suck it up and earn double exp, out leveling his quests and ruining his game.
    2. BUY a disabler (which at even the current 25% is extortionately priced) and earn no exp at all, meaning his character won't progress at all during this month and again ruining his game.
    3. Stop playing for a month.

Yeah great options there .. NOT
    The XP Disabler does not work that way.

It is a pocket item. You equip and unequiped it at will. Equip it, do the adventures you want, remove it, gain a few levels, then put it back.

This is how Club Eclair works. We are currently capped at Level 20. On Oct. 28, we unequiped it. When characters reach the new level cap of 23, they equip it again as we adventure through the new content.

This is actually what I do with most of my characters - dsabler XP whilr I take care of missed content, and gain levels when I want to explore new content. (Some I leave fixed at certain levels so that I can adventure with those who wand to do group content near that level.)

There is no need, with the Disabler, to not advance during the month.

The XP Disabler does not work that way.

It is a pocket item. You equip and unequiped it at will. Equip it, do the adventures you want, remove it, gain a few levels, then put it back.

This is how Club Eclair works. We are currently capped at Level 20. On Oct. 28, we unequiped it. When characters reach the new level cap of 23, they equip it again as we adventure through the new content.

This is actually what I do with most of my characters - dsabler XP whilr I take care of missed content, and gain levels when I want to explore new content. (Some I leave fixed at certain levels so that I can adventure with those who wand to do group content near that level.)

There is no need, with the Disabler, to not advance during the month.

Still sounds like a huge chunk of faffing around and of course cost to me, they should have just made the buff auto-apply at login and be right click cancel able.

Quote Originally Posted by Edrogar View Post
    Still sounds like a huge chunk of faffing around and of course cost to me, they should have just made the buff auto-apply at login and be right click cancel able.
    That's a different issue. I just didn't want people confused about how the dsabler works. Once you own it, you can use it any time you want to stop and clean up missed quests and deeds while they are still adventuresome - all future bonus weekends and any time you see yourself outleveling content you want to enjoy.
    Last edited by Tiempko; Oct 24 2013 at 04:38 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2