We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Request to disable double XP

As the title suggests, i would like you, Turbine, to disable the double XP "feature" for my account. I do not wish to gain twice as much xp, it is entirely unwanted and absurd. If anything, this should have been optional from the beginning. It actively keeps me from playing the game at my pace. For the future, it would be a good start to actually think about the consequences of your actions before you introduce ridiculous "features". A double XP month is ridiculous.

Sorry but that won't happen. Only way you can disable it is buy a xp disabler in the store.
    It's not Teal... it's [SIZE=3][COLOR=#00ffff][B]CYAN[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]!

Regardless, i would like to get an official statement on the matter. We are talking about weeks of forced xp, not days. I hate this "swallow-or-die" mentality, which is oh-so common recently.

I posted a thread in the suggestions forum for the exact same thing the other day. The can leave it for those that want it, I just want a way to be able to turn it off as well. As I am sure there are many that would like to. But Eartholloth is right, it isn't going to happen. You are just forced either to live with it or forced to buy the xp disabler if you don't want the extra xp. I love this game and Turbine does a great job with it but sometimes, they don't seem to think things through all the way. A weekend of double xp is okay, 30 full days of it, is not unless you can choose to turn it off without having to pay money in order to do so. Whatever reason for the 30 days of double xp, Turbine could have given those that don't want it a way to turn it off without having to purchase something to do so.

omg deal with it or go play something else - please quit your incessant whining.

Quote Originally Posted by kingrufus View Post
    omg deal with it or go play something else - please quit your incessant whining.

We are not whinning, we are voicing our opinion. If everybody just dealt with it, without voicing their opinion ( or whining as you put it ), we would all just be sheep led to slaughter. And this game wouldn't be no where near as good as it is. As a matter of fact, no game would.

Quote Originally Posted by Lur View Post
    Regardless, i would like to get an official statement on the matter. We are talking about weeks of forced xp, not days. I hate this "swallow-or-die" mentality, which is oh-so common recently.
    The official statement would be that they would not do it.

So you sit & wait for a response. Chances are you won't get one until Monday & if ya do the chance is slim.

Why would Turbine want to disable a sales gimmick?

Quote Originally Posted by manstan View Post
    Why would Turbine want to disable a sales gimmick?
    Exactly... Furthermore if they did this for one then they would have to do it for anyone else who wanted this disabled. Quite frankly they don't have the extra time that it would take to go into everyone's account & do this. I don't even know if something like this is even possible. Only thing I can see is them giving people the disabler & that's not going to happen.

Because it is a pretty poor sales gimmick. I bet more people are like the OP, and simply not playing low level toons right now; than are scrambling to the store to buy disablers. A better sales gimmick would be to put the XP boosters on sale in qty in the store. That is something many people would pay for. Opting out of having XP boosted is not something a lot of people would pay for.

That would be a bias assumption.
    This is rather an on going argument. But it boils down to hardcore completionest are aghast at yet more XP when the game gives out far too much already, or the casual player that has little time to play seeing it as a boon, getting the most XP out of what little time they play. And even that is an over simplification with pigeonhole terms that certainly don't apply to everyone.

The fact is love it, hate it, indifferent about it, we are stuck with it regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Eartholloth View Post
    Exactly... Furthermore if they did this for one then they would have to do it for anyone else who wanted this disabled. Quite frankly they don't have the extra time that it would take to go into everyone's account & do this. I don't even know if something like this is even possible. Only thing I can see is them giving people the disabler & that's not going to happen.
    Here's a hint... do you know how when you have a buff on you, you can right click to dispel it? Like when someone buffs you with a + whatever out of the clear blue nowhere? You don't need to wait 30 minutes for it to go away, you just right click it and it's gone.

This double XP thing should be the same way. 100% optional. Right click it and it's gone. You want it back, log out and log back in, and it returns.

That should be simple as pie to code. After all, a buff, is a buff, is a buff.

But then they'd not be able to sell you all those XP disablers. I bet those saw a spike in sales the past few days...

Smoke and mirrors and gimmick, gimmick, gimmick... Where's the beef?
    Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar, tenn’ Ambar-metta!

And with the festival that is coming up giving xp for every quest it's going to be impossible to partake without avoiding even more unwanted xp unless one has that disabler.

Put it on sale, at least!
    Farm as if there is no tomorrow, cook as if there is no health inspection!

When in game, no thoughts of the forums, when on the forums, the game fades. The former is preferable.

Quote Originally Posted by kingrufus View Post
    By all means, go right ahead and open up your own thread where you can tell people what they should do and what they shouldn't. Until then, you are not doing yourself a favour by posting nonsense in a thread that obviously doesn't really concern you. Thank you very much and try to be more considerate in the future.

@Eartholloth

I'm not expecting anything, to be honest. However, i can't just let this stand without voicing my opinion.

Tip of the day.

Play for half as long for a month.

You should be thanking TB for giving you more time in your real life

Quote Originally Posted by felstaff75 View Post
    Tip of the day.

You can do that, if you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by felstaff75 View Post
    Tip of the day.

You know what irritates me? People who assume that people who play a game somehow don't have a real life.

This is false and assumptive to the extreme.

I work my tail off and pay the piper just like everyone else. And when that work for the day is done, I like to adventure around Middle Earth.

What's wrong with that?

But you're right. Maybe I'll just play half as much, and go do what some of my peers, neighbors, co-workers, and friends do. Maybe I'll just start going to the bar instead like a lot of folks I know do.

I can see it now...

Wife: "Where are you going hon, aren't you playing LOTRO tonight?"

Me: "No, someone on the forums said I should be thanking TB for giving me more time for real life, so I'm going to go play some pool and get smashed tonight with the guys instead. Later, hon!"

Yep, that'd go over real well...

I don't smoke. I don't drink. I don't use recreational pharmaceuticals of any kind.

LOTRO is what I do instead. It's cheaper, healthier, and whilst mildly addicting, the withdrawal symptoms are fairly minor.

So please take your snooty elitist comments hinting at how people who have no life will now all of a sudden be forced to have one to yourself. As the old saying goes: 'Tis better to be thought a fool, than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

I only started playing this game a few weeks ago with two other family members, and we have all just reached level 20. We have already been a bit dismayed at out-leveling some game content. Since the game is new to us, we just want to immerse ourselves in it, and explore as much as possible. That has been our style in dozens of MMORPGs over the many long years we have played them together

We were all really irritated to find this double XP buff is in place for a month. Now we find we can buy something to turn off all XP? But that seems very illogical to us. Our choices seem to be Double XP, or no XP. Maybe it's because We are new players, but we all agree that is the most ridiculous ultimatum we have ever been forced to accept by any game we have played, and we have played dozens.

Fortunately, we only started this game to see if it interested us enough to invest our limited gaming time to continue, and we are not emotionally invested in it yet, unlike two other games we are still playing.

We are all sitting here this morning together just shaking our heads in bewilderment that we cannot simply toggle the double XP buff off like any other buff in any game we have played. We are not adverse to buying an item to disable the double-XP event either. But we just cannot come to grips with what we view as a silly proposition to either have double XP, or no XP at all. Who is the genius that decided these should be the only options?

Therefore, we all just decided to exercise our option to just quit the game and return to our other games before we end up finding ourselves in an even worse quandary down the road after investing our very valuable time. Any gaming company who cannot offer some road to compromise is not one we care to travel with in our adventures.

However, thank you for the three weeks of fun as the game did look promising,

SaardakaiOssovo, Jennette56, and B_Dawg505

As the title suggests, i would like you, Turbine, to disable the double XP "feature" for my account. I do not wish to gain twice as much xp, it is entirely unwanted and absurd. If anything, this should have been optional from the beginning. It actively keeps me from playing the game at my pace. For the future, it would be a good start to actually think about the consequences of your actions before you introduce ridiculous "features". A double XP month is ridiculous.
    Wish granted!
    http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Item...f_the_Tortoise

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoRob View Post
    Originally Posted by Lur
    Wish granted!
    http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Item...f_the_Tortoise
    Read again.

Lur seems to want to get just regular xp, not double, and not 'nothing'.

Plus: spending money on having a wish granted? Not so logical, in my opinion.
    Farm as if there is no tomorrow, cook as if there is no health inspection!

When in game, no thoughts of the forums, when on the forums, the game fades. The former is preferable.

I think there should be some option in the Options menu (like the forced emotions), so those that don't want to participate don't have to (personally I wouldn't use it) - maybe a general forced buff option to turn on / off.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavedweller View Post
    Because it is a pretty poor sales gimmick. I bet more people are like the OP, and simply not playing low level toons right now; than are scrambling to the store to buy disablers. A better sales gimmick would be to put the XP boosters on sale in qty in the store. That is something many people would pay for. Opting out of having XP boosted is not something a lot of people would pay for.
    I'm not so sure about this. Personally I like an XP boost, but have never brought one from the store (apart from the odd freebie) - I find using the VIP XP bonus, destiny points XP bonus and XP enhancers from hobbits presents / lootboxes and cycling through leveling alts enough to keep me reasonably happy XP-wise - if I run out there's always my main that still has hytbold / wildermore quests (plus free account alts to play with). Maybe they feel they have more chance of annoying people enough to purchase Stones of Turtoises than selling discounted XP boosts?

The problems with your suggestions:

1) I suspect the vast majority of the player base is extremely happy with the double experience points. You are part of a small minority that can be heard over the roar of all the people yelling "Good Job Turbine"

2) Turbine is not going to give up the revenue from lost sales of the experience disabler.

My personal opinion - Experience point accelerators are a very popular and inexpensive way to please the majority of the customer base and such Turbine will provide this functionality to us. Since there is a experience point disabler in the Lotro store, that is going to be your only option besides not playing the game.

Swtor has done game wide experience point bonus. IIRC - Bioware did a 30 day bonus as part of the run up to the launch of their expansion this year. The bonus was extremely popular. I ended up not playing much because there is no experience disabler in Swtor.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    The problems with your suggestions:

1) I suspect the vast majority of the player base is extremely happy with the double experience points. You are part of a small minority that can be heard over the roar of all the people yelling "Good Job Turbine"
    Of course experience accelerators are popular. It's a sign of the times. Hurry up and wait. It reminds me of people who accelerate right before they have to brake at a stop sign. So, to each their own. I have no problem with that. I have a problem with something being 'forced' upon me that changes my usual playstyle. There should be a simple opt out of such things like this, including any and all global buffs. Trying to say that people who don't like it can just buy XP disablers... that's just kinda sleazy, imo.

Think of it like reading a book. There you are, enjoying your book, turning the pages at your own pace, and you are about 3/4 through your book. And I then tell you that for the rest of the book, you'll either have to read twice as fast, or heck, maybe I'll just rip out all those pages execpt for the last one. No worries, you are just wanting to get to the end of the book right? The journey is irrelevant to some folks, and that's fine. Read page 1 and read page 700. Whoo, that was fun. But who am I to judge. As I said, no problem. The problem comes when you want to force ME to read twice as fast as I am comfortable reading or rip the pages out of MY book to force me to the end faster and push me on to the second book in the series.

Not exactly the same, but I think ye get the idea. It's not cool. And people shouldn't have to pay extra to play normally. Also the choice of DOUBLE or NO experience, is as others have stated, ridiculous.

For dinner tonight do you want no food, or do you want forced to eat an 8 course meal? Somewhere in between isn't an option. Either no food for you at all, or you have to eat every bite of this huge feast. Not very hungry tonight? Fine. Then just don't play...err, eat... until you are hungry enough to handle that 8 course meal.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaynith View Post
    Of course experience accelerators are popular. It's a sign of the times. Hurry up and wait. It reminds me of people who accelerate right before they have to brake at a stop sign. So, to each their own. I have no problem with that. I have a problem with something being 'forced' upon me that changes my usual playstyle. There should be a simple opt out of such things like this, including any and all global buffs. Trying to say that people who don't like it can just buy XP disablers... that's just kinda sleazy, imo.
    I understand your desire to play the game at your own pace. I really like this gimmick. It gives me and my kin a great opportunity to level up some alts before the expansion in November, and helps me to avoid playing areas I did not enjoy playing in the second time, let alone the seventh. I thought of some things you, and people in your situation, might want to spend this time doing, because you probably aren't going to get a way to disable this bonus.

1) Work on your character's class deeds. It will be fairly important to complete legendary and class deeds before the expansion for trait tree points, and while you aren't doing quests you won't be leveling as much.
    2) Roll a new character. This will give you a chance to try a new character out and not mess up the place you are on the current character that you don't want to progress quickly.
    3) Work on finishing the lower level area's deeds, and meanwhile grind out Turbine Points to spend as you wish.
    4) Play as you normally would, and when you out-level the area you are in just keep playing in that area. Nobody is forcing you to play the areas at your level. LotRO is not a difficult game, so making it a little easier is really not a big deal.
    5) Just don't play for a month. I'm sure you have other entertainment available to you that can keep you busy for a month. Read the books, watch the movies, do a puzzle, enjoy the outdoors, even play a different game. Just have fun.

I am a firm believer that happiness is a choice. There is a time for complaining, but I think this point of view is an uphill battle that cannot be won. You can choose to make the best of the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaynith View Post

Think of it like reading a book. There you are, enjoying your book, turning the pages at your own pace, and you are about 3/4 through your book. And I then tell you that for the rest of the book, you'll either have to read twice as fast, or heck, maybe I'll just rip out all those pages execpt for the last one. No worries, you are just wanting to get to the end of the book right? The journey is irrelevant to some folks, and that's fine. Read page 1 and read page 700. Whoo, that was fun. But who am I to judge. As I said, no problem. The problem comes when you want to force ME to read twice as fast as I am comfortable reading or rip the pages out of MY book to force me to the end faster and push me on to the second book in the series.

Not exactly the same, but I think ye get the idea. It's not cool. And people shouldn't have to pay extra to play normally. Also the choice of DOUBLE or NO experience, is as others have stated, ridiculous.

For dinner tonight do you want no food, or do you want forced to eat an 8 course meal? Somewhere in between isn't an option. Either no food for you at all, or you have to eat every bite of this huge feast. Not very hungry tonight? Fine. Then just don't play...err, eat... until you are hungry enough to handle that 8 course meal.
    Your right none of theses are the same as the current situation, in fact they are not even close to the same, Forced to read real fast or eat none stop is not the same as getting double the exp in a video game. You can still control how much exp you want in the end.

Anyways, I think the buff is a serverwide buff, like the bounders bounty buff.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast