We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

If I could buy a lvl 85 I would

I noticed in EQ that you could "try out" a high level character and play it until you gained one level then it was locked out. At that point you either bought it or left it alone. After running a number of characters through different parts of Lotro and making one get to 85 I thought this wasn't such a bad idea. I do get bored running through the same quests alt after alt. Turbine could make some hefty coin selling these characters and who would it hurt? I wouldn't let one be sold unless you had made one character to cap. That way you would get the experience playing through the book. There isn't to me any benefit from redoing that experience repeatedly. I think I might catch a lot of flack for suggesting this but I hold to it.

Quote Originally Posted by DuncanMcDermott View Post
    I noticed in EQ that you could "try out" a high level character and play it until you gained one level then it was locked out. At that point you either bought it or left it alone. After running a number of characters through different parts of Lotro and making one get to 85 I thought this wasn't such a bad idea. I do get bored running through the same quests alt after alt. Turbine could make some hefty coin selling these characters and who would it hurt? I wouldn't let one be sold unless you had made one character to cap. That way you would get the experience playing through the book. There isn't to me any benefit from redoing that experience repeatedly. I think I might catch a lot of flack for suggesting this but I hold to it.

Fantastic idea and I believe there is another thread already going to this effect. They have a system like this already set up in their other game DDO. once you get a level capped character you can buy an option to start all alts at a higher than starting level. I think cap is lvl30 and the option lets you start alts at lvl7 or 10 cant remember which.
    Mean what you say and say what you mean! If you don't there are always consequences!

I agree with this idea, and I think it's beyond time that game companies started putting this feature into their games. A lot of us have been gaming since the days of Donkey Kong, and quests aren't exactly magical anymore. Once you've run through the entire gamut of quests and zones on 1 or 2 characters, it often becomes mere tedium. I would love to be able to buy some levels at that point. I think they should sell them in blocks of 10.

If you bought a level 85 (whom, mind you, you would have no idea how to play) and headed straight for Wildermore,
    you would miss some great sights, some fine companions, some heart-lifting stories, some cheers, some tears, and
    some victories.

If it were up to a vote, I would vote No, but fortunately it isn't.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    If you bought a level 85 (whom, mind you, you would have no idea how to play) and headed straight for Wildermore,
    you would miss some great sights, some fine companions, some heart-lifting stories, some cheers, some tears, and
    some victories.

And there's a thing called "to each his own". We all pay our own subscriptions and should be able to play the way we like. If I'd already leveled 1 or 2 characters to 85, I might just want another 85 without doing all of that again. MMOs are far from new, and they are all following the same formula. Some of us have less tolerance for repetition.

While I agree it would be nice to try out a level capped character to see how it plays, I wouldn't buy one or want to raid with someone who did. Some classes, like LMs and wardens, unfold slowly and that's been part of what keeps me interested. There's enough games out there you can throw money at, buy your way through and leave when you get bored. It makes for lousy communities. Even after playing through the game multiple times, I still find out of the way things I've missed with previous characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Daragh View Post
    While I agree it would be nice to try out a level capped character to see how it plays, I wouldn't buy one or want to raid with someone who did.
    How would you know someone bought one? The owner would have to tell you. Why would they do that? The only way to know for sure would be if Turbine marked the character so that we could find out the bought status via inspection. Turbine would never make that kind of information available.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Unless they sell it complete with all class traits, virtues, armor and the ability to play the class with any degree of skill, I think it would be obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Daragh View Post
    Unless they sell it complete with all class traits, virtues, armor and the ability to play the class with any degree of skill, I think it would be obvious.
    I know plenty of people that focus on getting to the level cap while ignoring all the class traits, virtues and gear. They soloed their way to the cap so they do not know anything about how to play their character in a group.

After reaching the cap they try doing group content with their character so they can learn how to play their character against something other than simple landscape content. Hopefully begin the process of working on class deeds, virtues, legendary items and gear.

I'm all for this. Not that I would buy one. I have been in favor of game companies selling fully leveled fully geared toons and gold for years. The way I look at it the professional farmers are making money doing this. Doing it the hard way. Actually leveling a toon then selling it. Actually making coin in game and then selling it. Well, making it in game and hacking peoples accounts to steel it and sell it.

As long as people are buying fully leveled toons and buying gold I'd much rather turbine got the money. Plus it would drive the professional farmers out of the game and stop people hacking accounts to sell the gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandie2 View Post
    As long as people are buying fully leveled toons and buying gold I'd much rather turbine got the money. Plus it would drive the professional farmers out of the game and stop people hacking accounts to sell the gold.
    I doubt it would have much effect. Turbine will set the upper cap on the prices. The 3-party companies would thrive selling under Turbine's prices.

You can buy credits for dollars in Swtor from Bioware. There is still plenty of companies selling credits in competition to Bioware because they offer more credits per dollar than Bioware does. It is easier buying from a 3-party than Bioware.

You buy from Bioware you have to:
    1) Purchase Cartel Coins for dollars
    2) Buy valuable stuff from the Cartel Market
    3) Sell the valuable stuff for credits

The mechanism Bioware uses does not seem to upset players as much as directly selling gold, platinum, ISK, credits ... for dollars. Somehow the requirement to convert dollars --> Special coins --> unbound items --> gold is acceptable. Directly buying gold is not acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    some victories.

^^This as well. Turbine would devalue their own product by offering a "skip it" option.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    I doubt it would have much effect. Turbine will set the upper cap on the prices. The 3-party companies would thrive selling under Turbine's prices.
    Of course turbine could undercut them and drive them out of business. The third party people do actually have to physically level the toon. Turbine would just sell you the ability to create a level 85 at character creation. No effort on their part. No expense.

Add to this that any sane person would much rather buy a toon legit from turbine then to deal with a third party - not only do they risk getting ripped off by the third party, they also risk getting the account perma banned if Turbine catches wind of it.

So even if turbine charged slightly more people would buy from them. But with their inside court advantage how could they not undercut the third party people??

As I pointed out though they really would not need to undercut them. Just get within 10% and people would buy from them.

Where I think this idea would be brilliant is not to sell it, but to make it a one-time free trial thing to lure in players. Because if you tell someone "Come try LotRO, it's the best MMO out there" and then they spend three hours in Archet, they may come away thinking it's nothing special. Sure, Archet's nice, great visuals, quests are certainly ten times more interesting than the newbie quests in WoW, etc. but it's not exactly the best LotRO has to show off. The devs have gotten better and better as they've gone (notable lapses notwithstanding); some of the stuff in later parts of the game are just amazing compared to any boar-hunting quest you might do in Ered Luin. I have a few friends that I can never get to give LotRO a real fair shake, but if I could have three hours with them running around Lothlorien, Angmar, Parth Galen, or the Wold, I bet I'd have them hooked.

Not that it's that easy. Throw someone onto a level 85 character and they're going to be buried in skills without any idea how to put them together. I mean, look how much wailing and gnashing of teeth people have being forced to do session plays where they have to deal with six unfamiliar skills at once.

Probably the closest we're going to get to Turbine having a way to show us how great LotRO can be while still low level is the much-misunderstood idea of upscaling in Big Battles. Everyone who grumbles about the idea will be the first to be glad if it brings in a flush of new players.

I think it's a brave suggestion. That lurking suspicion of when the free- to -play model evolves truly into pay -to -win.
    Personally I would be OK with this, so long as the toon was super expensive and was marked as such. In a subtle way that if you cared to examine them, it would be tagged. I can see some players would not like this because they may be made fun of or critized. But it could just as much mean that friends of mine who don't play the game could sign up and we can grind the deeds together. They see the "whole" game, WB builds huge domes to hold all the money pouring in.

However, if one can buy a level 85 toon then why not a 50? A 73? Maybe twenty thousand TP for level 20 minimum level, and 5 thousand points per level after that?

(I would not have written this in the past, not even a year ago! "The world moves pretty fast...sometimes you just have to..." )