We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

A question about Expansions vs VIP

It is very easy to get information regarding what content is missing from the VIP sub - namely the expansion quests, etc. So, I understand that a sub doesn't get me the full content of the expansions. However, my question is: if I purchased all of the expansions, what content would I be missing on a F2P account? Or, to put it another way, if I were to purchase all of the expansions, what would I have to gain by signing up for a VIP sub? Would buying the expansions be enough to unlock all the content in the game without a sub? Thanks in advance for your help.

Ok content wise not counting bonuses... (such as rest exp and unlocked traits ect.)

Vip includes

North Downs
    Angmar
    Evendim
    Forochel
    Misty Mountains
    Trollshaws
    Eregion
    Lothlorien
    Enedwaith
    Great River
    Wildemore

Doing only the free content you can reach level 30-40ish depending on what you do.

Moria does not start until 45-50......

So my suggestion would be to pick up either VIP or use tp to get a few QP's

The ones I reccomend right now for easiest levling

Evendim (levels 30-40)
    Angmar (level 40-50)

From there you can do all expansion content.

I do suggest subbing for at least 1 month to ge tthe other bonuses from VIP for each toon you log in during that time.

You can also purchase The Mithril Edition rather cheap from gamestop which inlcudes

Trollshaws, eregion and lothlorien as well as 2000 tp you can use to purchase other quest packs.

Hope ths helps
    [CENTER][I][B][FONT=comic sans ms][COLOR=#00ffff]I know. It's all wrong. By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened?[/COLOR][/FONT][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2BC936]According to my Sister... Video Games can only get better...... unless it's Madden
    [/COLOR][SIZE=3][FONT=comic sans ms][COLOR=#b22222]Long Live Meneldor![/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/I][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by kickman77 View Post
    Ok content wise not counting bonuses... (such as rest exp and unlocked traits ect.)

Vip includes

North Downs
    Angmar
    Evendim
    Forochel
    Misty Mountains
    Trollshaws
    Eregion
    Lothlorien
    Enedwaith
    Great River
    Wildemore

Doing only the free content you can reach level 30-40ish depending on what you do....
    Hope ths helps
    What are the other bonuses that I'd be missing out on? I'm not worried about how quick I level, etc. Really, I'm just curious what VIP adds that owning the expansions doesn't. What gives me the most content? Or is it the same? If VIP just adds exp bonuses and other casual play perks, like TP, then I'd rather pass. If the sub includes things like additional race/class/legendary traits, then that might be worthwhile. I'm not afraid to pay for the game or the expansions, I just want to know what I get for my money with each and be sure that it is worth the investment.

Quote Originally Posted by mgk2020 View Post
    What are the other bonuses that I'd be missing out on? I'm not worried about how quick I level, etc. Really, I'm just curious what VIP adds that owning the expansions doesn't. What gives me the most content? Or is it the same? If VIP just adds exp bonuses and other casual play perks, like TP, then I'd rather pass. If the sub includes things like additional race/class/legendary traits, then that might be worthwhile. I'm not afraid to pay for the game or the expansions, I just want to know what I get for my money with each and be sure that it is worth the investment.
    This should help: https://www.lotro.com/en/game/vip

Only you can determine if it's worth the money.

As a f2p player, the only thing you really miss out on that subs get is Monster Play on a freep.

Everything else can be purchased in the store except this.

So if you do not PvMP as a freep then f2p can be the way to go if you are happy to grind TP or pay for them

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I'm not sure I made my goals clear. The F2P account is not an option - I am not looking to compare anything to F2P - (in the sense of buying everything piecemeal from the store) because the model seems asinine to me for MMOs. The advantage/point of an MMO is immersion, so having open world game content locked out and accessible via purchases in a store interface completely negates the very reason for a game like this to exist - to me. It's hard to be immersed in a world that constantly reminds you to please visit the store so these people will talk to you. It's my opinion, if you don't share it, so be it. I'm entitled to it. So, my question was really comparing playing the game via a subscription vs buying all the expansions. I was trying to figure out what content is available via a sub vs expansions. I realize that the expansion content isn't available via the sub, so I would probably end up needing to buy both if I went that route. That info is readily available all over the site and web. What IS NOT very apparent, is what all I would get if I bought ONLY the expansions (no sub) and what I would be missing out on. It sounds as though there are additional bags, trait slots, and TP available via the sub. However, my older characters appear to already have these things unlocked. I realize a new character would not, but I have plenty of characters already that I can play that have them, so if that is the ONLY thing the subscription gets me, then it isn't needed. I'm not looking to get cosmetic items, so things like that or the TP aren't much of a motivator to get the sub. However, it is not clear if that is the ONLY thing a sub gets you over all the expansions. If there are zones, instances, quests, etc. that are available via sub only, then I may just go with the sub. That is what I was hoping to find out. If anyone can tell me what CONTENT a sub provides over and beyond that in all the expansions, I'd appreciate it. From my understanding right now, it appears that because I have the additional bags, etc. from a previous time I played, there's no real advantage to subbing over buying the expansions and playing that way.

So, my question was really comparing playing the game via a subscription vs buying all the expansions. I was trying to figure out what content is available via a sub vs expansions. I realize that the expansion content isn't available via the sub, so I would probably end up needing to buy both if I went that route.

That info is readily available all over the site and web. What IS NOT very apparent, is what all I would get if I bought ONLY the expansions (no sub) and what I would be missing out on. It sounds as though there are additional bags, trait slots, and TP available via the sub. However, my older characters appear to already have these things unlocked. I realize a new character would not, but I have plenty of characters already that I can play that have them, so if that is the ONLY thing the subscription gets me, then it isn't needed. I'm not looking to get cosmetic items, so things like that or the TP aren't much of a motivator to get the sub. However, it is not clear if that is the ONLY thing a sub gets you over all the expansions. If there are zones, instances, quests, etc. that are available via sub only, then I may just go with the sub. That is what I was hoping to find out. If anyone can tell me what CONTENT a sub provides over and beyond that in all the expansions, I'd appreciate it. From my understanding right now, it appears that because I have the additional bags, etc. from a previous time I played, there's no real advantage to subbing over buying the expansions and playing that way.
    Besides any other stuff they may have came with, Expansions will only (and permanently) unlock quests in those expansion areas. Besides starter areas, you will not have access to any other non-expansion areas.

Simply put, it's not "VIP or Expansions". You need both to access all content. Or instead of subscribing, to unlock the quest packs with TP. Someone has already posted a list of all the regions you will unlock via sub (for the duration of your sub; If you want permanent access, you need to spend TP)

As for other perks, logging in characters while VIP will permanently unlock them lots of perks you would otherwise have to spend TP for - such as trait slots, auction house slots, swift travel, 5 bags, and so forth.

If anyone can tell me what CONTENT a sub provides over and beyond that in all the expansions, I'd appreciate it. From my understanding right now, it appears that because I have the additional bags, etc. from a previous time I played, there's no real advantage to subbing over buying the expansions and playing that way.
    Post number 2 perfectly shows what content (as in quest content) you will not have if you do not sub or if you do not buy these quest packs piecemeal (which you do not want).

So the regions in post 2 will not give you any quests unless you sub or buy them piecemeal.

In addition to that you need to buy the expansions to get the content of the expansion zones or for most of them there is also a questpack that gives you only the quests of the expansion region but will not give you other things like instances, skirmish soldier upgrades and other things but these are always depending on which expansion we are talking about.

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I'm not sure I made my goals clear. The F2P account is not an option - I am not looking to compare anything to F2P - (in the sense of buying everything piecemeal from the store) because the model seems asinine to me for MMOs. The advantage/point of an MMO is immersion, so having open world game content locked out and accessible via purchases in a store interface completely negates the very reason for a game like this to exist - to me. It's hard to be immersed in a world that constantly reminds you to please visit the store so these people will talk to you. It's my opinion, if you don't share it, so be it. I'm entitled to it. So, my question was really comparing playing the game via a subscription vs buying all the expansions. I was trying to figure out what content is available via a sub vs expansions. I realize that the expansion content isn't available via the sub, so I would probably end up needing to buy both if I went that route. That info is readily available all over the site and web. What IS NOT very apparent, is what all I would get if I bought ONLY the expansions (no sub) and what I would be missing out on. It sounds as though there are additional bags, trait slots, and TP available via the sub. However, my older characters appear to already have these things unlocked. I realize a new character would not, but I have plenty of characters already that I can play that have them, so if that is the ONLY thing the subscription gets me, then it isn't needed. I'm not looking to get cosmetic items, so things like that or the TP aren't much of a motivator to get the sub. However, it is not clear if that is the ONLY thing a sub gets you over all the expansions. If there are zones, instances, quests, etc. that are available via sub only, then I may just go with the sub. That is what I was hoping to find out. If anyone can tell me what CONTENT a sub provides over and beyond that in all the expansions, I'd appreciate it. From my understanding right now, it appears that because I have the additional bags, etc. from a previous time I played, there's no real advantage to subbing over buying the expansions and playing that way.
    I believe that Halls of Night and Inn of the Forsaken are both VIP only, or purchase in store. I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by bahgweed View Post
    I believe that Halls of Night and Inn of the Forsaken are both VIP only, or purchase in store. I could be wrong.
    This is correct.
    The same is true for all skirmishes that are not part of the epic Volume II and Volume III.

It is very easy to get information regarding what content is missing from the VIP sub - namely the expansion quests, etc. So, I understand that a sub doesn't get me the full content of the expansions. However, my question is: if I purchased all of the expansions, what content would I be missing on a F2P account? Or, to put it another way, if I were to purchase all of the expansions, what would I have to gain by signing up for a VIP sub? Would buying the expansions be enough to unlock all the content in the game without a sub? Thanks in advance for your help.
    If you are Premium and you buy all expansions you will be missing;
    North downs,
    Evendim,
    Forochel,
    Angmar,
    Eregion,
    Trollshaws,
    Misty Mountains,
    Enedwaith,
    Lothlorien,
    The great river,
    Wildermore,
    you would also need to buy several of the skirmishes if you wished access to them.
    As VIP you would have access to the above content but would still need buy the expansions to have access to the specific areas of each expansion.

Thanks for the replies everyone. It seems like content is pretty evenly split between the expansions and VIP. I could probably get by going with either one, but will probably end up getting both based on my play style. Since I have Moria from when it launched, I may also try out each approach and compare. Again, thanks for the help.

Thanks for the replies everyone. It seems like content is pretty evenly split between the expansions and VIP. I could probably get by going with either one, but will probably end up getting both based on my play style. Since I have Moria from when it launched, I may also try out each approach and compare. Again, thanks for the help.
    From 1-50, all content is covered by VIP.

Expansions packs - Moria is 50~60, Mirkwood is ~60-65, Isengard is 65-75 and Rohan is 75-85.
    VIP quest packs - Lothlorien is ~60, Enedwaith is ~60-65, Great River is 70-75, wildermore is currently 85 (though, I suspect it'll become 80-85 with Helm's Deep).

So, getting the other expansions will pretty much guarantee smooth sailing to 85, but you could still get there by just using the quest packs that are free to VIP and a little grinding.