We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Creating Effrego Obscurum, Brandywine Server

Hello fellow LotRO players both new and old alike, I haven't spent much time here in the forums but I thought I'd give it a try!

My goal?

To create a Kinship that becomes like a second family to as many players of LotRO as possible.

Why?

Because I can't help but remember my Angmar days when I was Kinless and just needed some advice and was unable to get it in /ooc.

How?

Well certainly not alone! I am going to need at least 4 more people who WANT to see this happen, and until then I doubt I will even create the Kinship in-game. I will be posting about this in Brandywine (Come visit me in Bree sometime), but for the most part I am reaching out to all of you people out here in the forums!

Name?

Well I was thinking about it, and I've settled on something like "Effrego Obscurum", which is loosely Latin for "Breaking the Darkness", but once we get a group of people together I am perfectly okay with changing the name or coming up with a new one together.

Rules?

Well I thought that the one rule that pretty much sums up everything a good Kinship needs is, "Be Canadian" as a Canadian myself I am perfectly okay with laughing at my own culture, but if you think about it, if we all acted like the stereotypical Canadian while in Kinchat wouldn't that be a great place to log into?

Conclusion.

I have been away from the game for nearly 6 months now and from the posts I've seen it appears the world is changing, and something like this seems like it would be well met.

Feel free to comment or PM me, I look forward to seeing you all in-game shortly.

Jarmer James of Brandywine

Edit:

So far I have one person on board with this, and planning will begin formally as soon as one more person agrees to give this a try.
    Last edited by Motoyasu; Oct 19 2013 at 01:47 PM.
    [img]http://signatures.mylivesignature.com/54491/325/42291FD4D6A8A0F7E6734FF07582FCFF.png[/img]

Competition for resources, regarding the crafting of kinships seems to be pretty fierce on every server these days. AKA Everyone wants the kinless to join their kins. Players are kinhopping, looking for what suits them best, and kin recruiters are all pretty much promising the same things to everyone. On busier servers there are ninja kinvites flying around like shuriken. There is even a thread here that started up recently, complaining about /tell kinvites... which are generally considered to be the most polite form of kinvitation (as it doesn't spam up the chat channel, it isn't as random or impersonal as a ninja kinvite, and it invites discussion first).

If you want to form a kinship, and you wait until you get enough positive responses on the forum, you may never get it off the ground.

If you have friends you play with normally, you should talk to them first. See how many of them would want to help you start your kinship. However.... you should STILL go ahead and start your kinship in the game.

If you don't flesh out the minimum 5 with friends, then you should create a second Turbine Account, use that to create a free second LOTRO account, start a second game client while you are already in the game with your main character (the Kinleader), start a new character with the second LOTRO account and get it out of the introduction. Then, invite that new character on the second account into your kin, and make it an officer. Once you have done that, you can switch to whatever alts you have on your main account, and invite them into the kinship with the new Officer you just made.

If you are strictly a Free2Play player, and you haven't ever spent any actual money on the game, and you haven't purchased any character slots with the TP you have earned in the game, then by using this method you could have at least 4 members total in your kinship (two accounts, two characters each). Creating a third account would give you a possible total of 6... but if you can't get at least one friend to assist you in starting your kinship, you might want to rethink the whole thing.

After you have your minimum 5 total characters in the kinship, you can start recruiting more people from inside the game... and eventually either phase out the second account, or use it for storage or a mule.
    [CENTER][URL="http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Main_Page"][IMG]http://lotro-wiki.com/images/e/e4/Lw-logo.png[/IMG][/URL][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][URL="http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Social:Kinships_of_Vilya"]Vilya Kinships[/URL] - [URL="http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Social:Lost_Alliance"]Lost Alliance[/URL] - [URL="http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/User:Tuveneil"]Me[/URL][/CENTER]

I've recently created a champion on the Brandywine server that is now level 20. Turbine has created too awesome of a world to venture alone. Even on the busiest servers it's easy to feel lost. I'd really enjoy having a core group of people to play with. Let's get this going, friend.

@Bongart: Thank you for the advice Bongart! I have been playing LotRO since Beta, but over the years the good solid 'community based' kinships have slowly died off. I am trying to start something akin to the old days, but I want to make sure I will have some core players who have the same vision as me before I begin. I am a Lifetime member, and I have a second lifetime account from my early Multi-boxing days, so I know how the adding your own accounts works. Now I 'could' do that, but I would prefer to have other people in it before I do so.

@Foxway: Dude that's awesome! I am currently in India, but when I return to Canada in a week or so then we can look at starting this kin up. (If more people hop on board) My main's name in-game is Jarmer, so feel free to add him & send him a mail in-game so I can add you as well. I look forward to the creation of this Kinship with you, spread the word between any friends you have that might be interested, and we might be able to found it as soon as I arrive on Canadian soil again.

I would just like to post to anyone who may be reading this that this is just a quick jotting down of some thoughts and at some point when I am less busy out here I will post the summary of the rules, regulations, and leadership. For kinships in the past I have almost always acquired leadership or leadership in some form and I know from experience that it is a lot for one person to bear hence why I would love to share this vision with a core group of (ultimately) 10 or so.

Edit:

Just threw together this site http://effregoobscurum.webs.com/
    Last edited by Motoyasu; Oct 19 2013 at 02:28 PM.
    [img]http://signatures.mylivesignature.com/54491/325/42291FD4D6A8A0F7E6734FF07582FCFF.png[/img]

Basic Guidelines and Rules as of October 21st 2013

There will be 1 (One) leader, that leader sits at the top and at the bottom of the totem pole. He is responsible for the actions of every member of his kinship. The sub(or Co)-Leader is responsible for those below him, as are the head officers, and so forth. The Leadership totem pole goes as thus;

Leader
    Sub(or Co)-Leader
    4 Head Officers
    Officers
    Members
    Recruits

This is a basic outline of what I would like to see, although for the early stages there will be no Sub(or Co)-Leader, and there will probably only be 2 Head Officers.

Rules for the general populace...

1. Be Canadian, which means... Be respectful, considerate, religiously sensitive, clean of mouth (Or fingers), generous, and the stereotypical list goes on.

2. People in Leadership were chosen for a reason, by joining the Kinship you are making a visible display that you will respect them. If you have an issue with Leadership, please feel free to bring it up with the Leader of the Kinship.

3. It's just a game! What I mean by that is if you have to go AFK for a few minutes, that's perfectly okay. Just be sure to warn people so they are not waiting for your response only to learn that you were off making Nachos for your VERY needy children. When you come back just give a quick shout out so we all know that you are available for banter once again.

4. Have fun for Pete's sakes! Like I said, it's just a game! Game's were meant to be for fun, so although there are all these rules, you can always feel free to talk to the Kin Leader about why they are here. If you have a legitimate concern then it deserves to be considered.

The Kinship Effrego Obscurum will be created in-game on October 27th, at 3am (GMT-7, or PST, AKA Pacific Standard Time). So be sure to send Jarmer a mail in-game if you wish to have a spot reserved! I will also be creating a new Toon around the same time, and I will post his name here on this thread the moment I do so you can send him a /tell during my time online.

May your paths forever lead you to peace,

hello I used to play and was up around lvl 35-40 back hen moria was released Then I stopped and want to get back in starting a new character and joining a kin. I love helping my kinmates and help leading those who need help or direction. I am mature, and live in central Canada. When I used to play I found a kin that was a family for me and I want that again and to help build a kin like that for others aswell. I would love to help you out in anyway I can. I am updating my lotro now and will be creating a character on branywine late tonight when work ends. let me know if you want some help.
    -Sarge

@sgtronnoc

I would love to add you to the team! I (literally) just arrived home from my trip, so I will be a little busy over the next day or so. In the meantime I will be updating LotRO, Creating the new character, creating the Kin, and trying to remember the point of the chicken quests, and such. I hope to have the kin created before 12pm GMT-7 this Sunday the 27th, send -Jarmer- a mail in-game and I can add you to the kin, or work out a time that we can do so.

Welcome to Effrego Obscurum Sarge, I hope your stay is both long and prosperous.

I have 2 friends who would like to join as well.

Excellent!

@ Foxway

I will be online for the next couple hours on one of my new alts (Ylati), send him a /tell in-game and I'll switch to my main and add you guys to the kinship.
    Things are starting to come together!