We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Skirmish Soldier Help

What is the best Skirmish Soldier for the Captain Class?

imo, Herbalist. Either soloing or grouping, well especially when grouping.

Quote Originally Posted by Macisliz View Post
    What is the best Skirmish Soldier for the Captain Class?
    It depends. For faster soloing of easier skirms, warrior or archer seems best to me. I go with archer, because at least last time I used them warrior AI was more irritating, while archer just follows you and shoots. For harder soloing and/or grouping, can't go wrong with herbalist. Nothing wrong with leveling up 2 different lines if you have the marks, or trying one soldier and getting a skirmish mark reset if it goes bad though...

Nothing will go wrong with Herbalist.
    But since you would hardly do grouped skirmishes, go for the Archer. I started skirmishes on my Captain yesterday, went for the Archer, and woah, dat DPS. And he isn't as much like a sadist like the Warrior.
    [COLOR="#669966"][center][size=1]Mildford - R9 Hunter • Support - R7 LM
    The Storm Crusaders • Gladden[/size][/center][/COLOR]

Thank you all for the replies, I did decide to do archer and it seems to be working out really well!

Personally I like the archer soldier, since it has a debuff that increases ranged damage done to mobs. If I'm soloing a skirm, I'll have both my Soldier Archer and my Herald Archer out together.

I know a banner would probably give me more total damage, I just like having my own micro-army with me

Eh, I run sage/herbalist myself - because of the training overlap (both are tactical).
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

If you want two soldiers, one to heal you in groups and one to speed up your solo runs, that combo is definitely the cheapest! I was very close to going that route, but decided I just don't skirm-group enough for that

Lightbulb

I choose a warrior for my captain, because the captain can do all the tank & healing needed. The only thing that can come short is dps (& not by much).
    Is this Alternate Playable Character Disorder? :

Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth

+1 vote Herbalist, -1 vote Warrior.

My point of view is that the only point to skirmishing (aside from the initial unlocks of epic quest skirms in Moria, Mirkwood, and the Rift) is skirmish raids shortly after a level cap increase when that's still the primary way to try to get jewelry, 2nd age symbols, etc. Could be that won't happen this time, with the new Big Battles thing instead, who knows. But the only soldier worth using in a skraid is the herbalist.

Since my cappy just went back and finished the Moria epics (will never slot the yellow capstone, which is why I hadn't bothered getting it all this time, but it's +1 trait point to spend after HD...), I've been reminded how awful Warriors are. Which I apparently knew at some point in the past, since I'd named mine SuicidalIdiot. Standing *way* out in front of you, charging off on his own, getting killed all the time - the extra dps he offers is so not worth it. If for whatever reason you actually do solo skirms for some reason (or if it turns out that skirmish raids never come back into fashion), archer or sage seem like plausible ways to get extra dps without making you wish you could join the enemy in murdering your idiot soldier.

Archer for sure. Amazing extra dps. Herbalist would be fine, but the captain has such survivability by himself, that you'll just end up taking way too long to finish a skirm with one of these for no reason.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/082070000001608c2/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Yurian View Post
    Archer for sure. Amazing extra dps. Herbalist would be fine, but the captain has such survivability by himself, that you'll just end up taking way too long to finish a skirm with one of these for no reason.
    Eh, I think what we're saying:

Solo => DPS - herbalist if you're having a rough go of it

Group => Herbalist
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West