We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    The Prancing Pony, usually I'm drunk in a corner
    Quote Originally Posted by BangoTwinkletoes View Post
    Of course I can pretty much already get to instant level cap when HD goes live - by auto-boosting my lvl 10s to max as part of the Big Battles
    ONLY in the big battles

Glorgnorbor
    Happy Halloween!
    Did everyone get a bugged signature? My BB code doesn't work anymore

Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy

Quote Originally Posted by Zombielord View Post

And please stop bashing the raiders, since HD will have no raid content whatsoever (turbine said BB's wont be raids so don't bother coming up with that argument) Funny is it not? Now that the game got rid of raids & instances people start to gripe that leveling is to hard ... despite xp boosts in the store, xp boost as pre-order items, xp weekends, 30 day xp event, xp from collecting stuff, xp from processing stuff and xp from crafting stuff: Wow, this game's going downhill faster than the us economy.
    This....This is so true that it is scary.

/signed-to-Zombielord

Glorgnorbor
    Happy Halloween!

Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy

Quote Originally Posted by robbie1435 View Post
    ONLY in the big battles

Glorgnorbor
    Happy Halloween!
    I think that's what I said.. but thanks for taking the time to repost my point
    <A sig goes here>

I think that's what I said.. but thanks for taking the time to repost my point
    You said you get autoscaled in Big Battles... Never did you mention that the auto scale was only effective in the big battle.

Glorgnorbor
    Happy Halloween!

You said you get autoscaled in Big Battles... Never did you mention that the auto scale was only effective in the big battle.

Glorgnorbor
    Happy Halloween!
    Kind of obvious was it not???

Or are you suggesting this to provd that "SOMEONE IS WRONG ON THE INTERNET" !!!!!

<A sig goes here>

Kind of obvious was it not???

Or are you suggesting this to provd that "SOMEONE IS WRONG ON THE INTERNET" !!!!!

Nope. Just trying to clear that up further to make sure the OP doesn't think, "Oh, they're already putting auto-level in! Good!"

Never know these days.

Glorgnorbor
    Happy Halloween!

Nope. Just trying to clear that up further to make sure the OP doesn't think, "Oh, they're already putting auto-level in! Good!"

Never know these days.

Glorgnorbor
    Happy Halloween!
    lol. oook.

Wow so many delusional people in this thread. You really think anyone new is going to spend months grinding away to get the to current cap so they can have the "privilege" of giving their money to Turbine for the new expansion? Please, far too many new fun games out there for that. No wonder lotro is dead any time I log in to see if there is anything interesting going on. Hope you all have really big check books cause you are the only ones left and these servers don't pay for themselves......

This is a completely bad idea. Even if it was only an option for those who wanted to use it, this would be a horrible idea for a variety of reasons...

1. It creates too much potential for people who really do not know how to play their character or the game. Part of the leveling process involves teaching you how to utilize *all* of the skills your character has access to. And, you also are taught the mechanics of the game as you level up.

Please do not come to me with the BS about that it doesn't take long to learn how to play. Yes, you may be able to figure out all of the basics pretty quickly, but there are a lot of intricacies with each character that you can't learn fast. In fact, I would argue that most people never truly stop learning about their character(s).

2. It removes the need to engage (socially) with anyone else in the game. If you can automatically level 1-95 with the press of a button, what incentive do you have to ever group up to complete those classic group quests you would encounter at the lower levels?

Don't think this is an important aspect of the game? I could show you my kinship roster which is full of people 90% of whom aren't at the level cap. But, the social nature of our kinship get far more out of their journey to the level cap than they would get being auto-leveled.

3. Auto-leveling opens the door for "cookie cutter" and "flavor of the month" trends to occur. Yes, you could say that these already happen. But, all you would see are a bunch of people who will ask the age old questions "what's the best class and/or best build?" Then, all they would do is go copy someone else's notes.

Auto-leveling removes the process by which you and your character grow together. You could sample (say) 100 different Hunters. Sure, there would be similarities in all 100. But, the person behind each of those Hunters wields his character much differently than the other 99. Yes, you will see a lot of similar gear, traits, etc. But, there is "personality" behind each character that the option of "auto-leveling" would remove.

Frankly, the OP comes across as complaining that leveling in this game is too hard or takes too long. It doesn't. All you have to do is follow where your quests lead and the rest is history. These days leveling is even easier because the developers have done a great job of streamlining the older questing areas.

Don't believe me about all this stuff? Why do you think most MMOs try to limit the ability to power-level? I've been in a game where you could hit the level cap within a couple hours. The developers of that game did what they could to limit power-leveling. Frankly, after seeing what power-leveling does (pros and cons), I've never been in favor of it in large part.
    Dagranhad - Burglar | Aldgarea - Loremaster | Barathrothir - Hunter | Golladhar - Captain

Quote Originally Posted by TheCrossbow View Post
    This is a completely bad idea. Even if it was only an option for those who wanted to use it, this would be a horrible idea for a variety of reasons...

1. It creates too much potential for people who really do not know how to play their character or the game. Part of the leveling process involves teaching you how to utilize *all* of the skills your character has access to. And, you also are taught the mechanics of the game as you level up.

Please do not come to me with the BS about that it doesn't take long to learn how to play. Yes, you may be able to figure out all of the basics pretty quickly, but there are a lot of intricacies with each character that you can't learn fast. In fact, I would argue that most people never truly stop learning about their character(s).

2. It removes the need to engage (socially) with anyone else in the game. If you can automatically level 1-95 with the press of a button, what incentive do you have to ever group up to complete those classic group quests you would encounter at the lower levels?

Don't think this is an important aspect of the game? I could show you my kinship roster which is full of people 90% of whom aren't at the level cap. But, the social nature of our kinship get far more out of their journey to the level cap than they would get being auto-leveled.

3. Auto-leveling opens the door for "cookie cutter" and "flavor of the month" trends to occur. Yes, you could say that these already happen. But, all you would see are a bunch of people who will ask the age old questions "what's the best class and/or best build?" Then, all they would do is go copy someone else's notes.

Auto-leveling removes the process by which you and your character grow together. You could sample (say) 100 different Hunters. Sure, there would be similarities in all 100. But, the person behind each of those Hunters wields his character much differently than the other 99. Yes, you will see a lot of similar gear, traits, etc. But, there is "personality" behind each character that the option of "auto-leveling" would remove.

Frankly, the OP comes across as complaining that leveling in this game is too hard or takes too long. It doesn't. All you have to do is follow where your quests lead and the rest is history. These days leveling is even easier because the developers have done a great job of streamlining the older questing areas.

Don't believe me about all this stuff? Why do you think most MMOs try to limit the ability to power-level? I've been in a game where you could hit the level cap within a couple hours. The developers of that game did what they could to limit power-leveling. Frankly, after seeing what power-leveling does (pros and cons), I've never been in favor of it in large part.
    lol the point is that already exists - give a lvl 7 char just out of the intro a ton of gold and head to hobbiton and farm your way to whatever lvl you please. I've seen lvl 60+ chars on Luarelin farming away eastemnet coffeebeans in hobbiton with nothing but their starter gear. They'll be motoring along now that they've got a month's worth of double xp!!!!

No doubt they using a 3rd party software add-in to macro the farming actions - who on earth would have the stamina to do that manually!!

But.. it's happening.
    <A sig goes here>

Old player here just taking a peek at the forums again. I would personally love for this suggestion to become reality.
    I used to raid regularly since the mirkwood expansion, but eventually left the game when no new raids came out after isengard.
    The one thing that I used to despise the most was levelling alts. For me levelling was always an extremely mind-numbing grind to get to the fun part; Gearing up a character to eventually be able to raid with it.

Back in Mirkwood I remember almost everyone in my kin having atleast four or five raid ready characters. This number diminshed quickly to 2 or 3 characters when the dunland expansion came. Eventually when we entered Isengard almost nobody could be bothered with levelling alts again, so most of us only played our main characters. It used to be very enjoyable to get through a raid with a different class, but eventually it just became too much of a grind.

From what I read on this thread a lot of you would be considering this feature as cheating. But don't people usually cheat to get past something difficult? I can't imagine how anyone could consider levelling a character to cap an achievement. Aside from beign able to survive the boredom, there is nothing difficult about it whatsoever. For a group-oriented player like me, there is almost nothing to do as a non level capped character. Let's face it, almost all the people doing group content are at max level. And all the interesting stat and legendary item tweaks and trait setups are also only really nessecary in end game instances. So what's left for me to do is to try and find the quickest possible way to get through the grind. Which still takes way too long even if you try to get through it as efficiently as possible.

Another point of critisism was that people have to learn their class before they get to cap. I do agree that it's important to learn your class, and that is also what levelling is for. But do people really need two entire levels just to learn a single new skill? (often just an upgraded skill with a pretty minor change in the higher levels) Getting a new skill tends to be the only highlight in the grind to cap. It's finally an opportunity to turn on my brain for a while and figure out how to use this skill in my rotation. I could honestly say that I could comfortably learn the class with atleast 5 new skills per level.

Perhaps instantly levelling a character from 0 to cap is too much. But a feature which speeds up levelling by 10 times could greatly help the people that enjoy playing multiple classes in the end game content. I think it would be a good idea to restrict this feature from new players, and only give it to players who already have a character at the level cap. It's been said a lot that people who want to auto-level shouldn't be bothering to play the game at all. Forgive me if im wrong, but last time I checked levelling up was only a part of the game. A part that some people really enjoy and others really hate. How is this suggestion any different from the update which made all the story instances soloable. This was also done so that the people who don't like group content could solo all the way to cap without ever doing any group content. So if solo-focused players want to skip group content it's all okay, but if group-focused players want to skip solo content it's not okay? I wish you guys could see how elitist it sounds. Its either we do it your way or we shouldn't play at all.

First post on the forums. I really wanted to get my point across as a feature like this would definitely make me return to this game

Edit: On an entirely unrelated note could anyone explain to me how my forum name is just a bunch of random letters combined? o.O I dont remember ever beign able to name my forum account

Am I the only one that notices something... strange?
    Dagranhad - Burglar | Aldgarea - Loremaster | Barathrothir - Hunter | Golladhar - Captain

Quote Originally Posted by KMUCHa View Post
    Well that's what they implied by saying comments such as "i worked for my level, now its your turn". And i argued politely when people had difference of opinion. I "insulted" those who called me and other who agreed with me "little kids, boys,young gamers". Love how you can only pick me while those who actually started making insults is being put to the side.
    I assume this is partially directed at me since I made a comment about younger players, but the thing is, I didn't single you or anyone else out. What I said (partially) was...

I think most people wanting this are younger kids who have little to no attention span and want that instant gratification without taking the journey to get there.
    I didn't call you a kid specifically, so if you took it that way that's on you. I just said most people with this rush to the end mentality are usually younger players, and I stand by this as do I stand by what I said about the attitude of some of these players. I know this from experience as I have played MMOs for years (not just this one). I think most younger gamers today want instant gratification including end game content without putting any effort in getting there. This has been my experience when running into them in games....not all but most. Although I may have stated my opinion rather bluntly, I'm not just blindly saying this to be insulting, lol. I've seen it many times which is why I have the impression I do. In fact, it's not really an insult but an observation. I play this game with my daughter, and she is the same way. She wants to be at level cap and have her warsteed and quest in higher levels. Now, she is fairly young, so it has taken her a long time just to get where she is, but she still has that mentality of wanting to be at the end right now. I'm not trying to insult her by saying this. I love my daughter to pieces and would never put her down. That's just the way many kids are these days. Just my opinion. If you are the exception, then so be it.
    Last edited by jnv7594; Oct 20 2013 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCrossbow View Post
    Am I the only one that notices something... strange?
    The "Why on earth is this thread stilll around?" question?

Quote Originally Posted by sapman View Post
    Wow so many delusional people in this thread. You really think anyone new is going to spend months grinding away to get the to current cap so they can have the "privilege" of giving their money to Turbine for the new expansion? Please, far too many new fun games out there for that. No wonder lotro is dead any time I log in to see if there is anything interesting going on. Hope you all have really big check books cause you are the only ones left and these servers don't pay for themselves......
    -It would only to take less than 2 weeks to level up a new alt for those already with contents.

-For newbies that knows how to farm TP and stays completely F2P, it would only take no more than a month to reach cap.
    -For those newbies buying points to unlock content or vip it would take less than 3 weeks.
    -For complete newbie who knows nothing, it may take longer until they understand how to remain completely F2P but with all the content.

Quote Originally Posted by jnv7594 View Post
    I didn't call you a kid specifically, so if you took it that way that's on you. I just said most people with this rush to the end mentality are usually younger players, and I stand by this as do I stand by what I said about the attitude of some of these players. I know this from experience as I have played MMOs for years (not just this one). I think most younger gamers today want instant gratification including end game content without putting any effort in getting there. This has been my experience when running into them in games....not all but most. Although I may have stated my opinion rather bluntly, I'm not just blindly saying this to be insulting, lol. I've seen it many times which is why I have the impression I do. In fact, it's not really an insult but an observation. I play this game with my daughter, and she is the same way. She wants to be at level cap and have her warsteed and quest in higher levels. Now, she is fairly young, so it has taken her a long time just to get where she is, but she still has that mentality of wanting to be at the end right now. I'm not trying to insult her by saying this. I love my daughter to pieces and would never put her down. That's just the way many kids are these days. Just my opinion. If you are the exception, then so be it.
    I have to agree as well. Younger gamers aka the newer generation of gamers all tend to want to get to the end game A.S.A.P with little to no effort on towards leveling up.

I have a similar story to yours with my younger brothers all being eager to play the endgame stuffs but lazy to do the things in between the introduction and endgame. IMO this is what make games lifespan even shorter until the next release in the series or expac.
    Last edited by lioheart; Oct 21 2013 at 01:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by trollhardorgohome View Post
    How would auto leveling make it easier? All the harder content is when you are at max level...

Leveling is the easy part, its just a mind numbing time sink, especially when you have multiple alts
    There is no hard content at level cap either. Getting my alts fully geared at 85+ is the easy part, takes me 1-2 days. Than they can't much better. Reaching level cap is a lot harder.

I suppose a few raids if you run T2C, can still be considered challenging. But everything else you do at cap is also a "mind numbing sink". Hytbold and Wildermore daily lobotomy, Eerbor T1 and T2 for more relics and junk, every single joke of a 3-6 man where you don't even need tanks and healers, for example.

Why do people want to rush to cap in a game that lacks endgame content? I don't get it. Some online game starts at cap, with competitive PvE and PvP, there I understand people rushing. But in Lotro, 99% of the good stuff and the epic content comes before you reach level cap.

Its sort of like getting a fresh console game, than buying a mod that allows you to get to the last boss fights. Kill the main protagonist and game is done. Great investment!

Quote Originally Posted by clarabelle View Post
    Why do people want to rush to cap in a game that lacks endgame content? I don't get it. Some online game starts at cap, with competitive PvE and PvP, there I understand people rushing. But in Lotro, 99% of the good stuff and the epic content comes before you reach level cap.
    This. If a "jump to lvl cap" option ever came out in the store then people buying it would soon want their money back, because that newly minted lvl 95 char would soon find that the popular group content available to him/her is exactly the same for someone at lvl 50 or 60 if you want to include the Moria stuff.

Edit - Actually I'd go further & state that if the store sold a pre-made lvl 60 with some quest gear, traits and a stone of the tortiose it would be ideal for group stuff.
    <A sig goes here>

Just to clarify when asking the question "why on earth do you want to reach endgame". Perhaps i should've posted this in my OP but i mostly am interested in PvP, leveling/content pve don't really interest me..at all. I'm sure others feel the same way but then again we pvpers are the single percent eh?

What i would not like but im sure people will post this is
    1) Then roll a creep. NO, i done that for about 3 years now but its time to enjoy other classes.
    2) This is not a pvp game. No. PvP is in the game, and i enjoy it so i won't leave.

Everyone got his/hers own enjoyment in video games and PvP happens to be mine. And to me i don't think it's about you must earn cap lvl but rather what you enjoy, just saying.

p.s- The few comments above saying the good stuff is through leveling, that is purely subjective.

All the money arguments can pretty much go out the Window. Sony just did this with EQ2, I'm sure there was an analysis there on the number of players that want to buy it, and that they found there was merit behind adding that system in. The "marketing" spin they put on it was so players who haven't played in a while can come back and be with their friends without having to catch up, which sounds reasonable.

That said, most of the arguments about why this is a terrible idea are completely valid.

If you want to PvP and are too lazy to level your character in an RPG, that's what Call of Duty is for.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c00000000a2d6/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Gedrevn View Post
    If you want to PvP and are too lazy to level your character in an RPG, that's what Call of Duty is for.
    Guildwars 2...
    <A sig goes here>

Quote Originally Posted by KMUCHa View Post
    Just to clarify when asking the question "why on earth do you want to reach endgame". Perhaps i should've posted this in my OP but i mostly am interested in PvP, leveling/content pve don't really interest me..at all. I'm sure others feel the same way but then again we pvpers are the single percent eh?

What i would not like but im sure people will post this is
    1) Then roll a creep. NO, i done that for about 3 years now but its time to enjoy other classes.
    2) This is not a pvp game. No. PvP is in the game, and i enjoy it so i won't leave.

Everyone got his/hers own enjoyment in video games and PvP happens to be mine. And to me i don't think it's about you must earn cap lvl but rather what you enjoy, just saying.

p.s- The few comments above saying the good stuff is through leveling, that is purely subjective.
    Well since you want the auto-level for PvP then ask for a PvP only maxed character purchase which will be a character restricted only in the Moors just like Creeps with the only difference being that he is in the Freep side. Not that I am in favor of even that one but it sounds a lot more logical compared to the fully maxed PvE + PvMP character.

But even in that case Freep PvP is one of the "VIP only" perks and I don't think that taking that away from them as an exclusive will do any good.

I have no problem with this. But it would have to be VERY expensive. I'm talking like $200 for a level 85 and the price increases as the level cap increases. Someone that has expendable income can choice to do with that income what they want. It doesn't affect me in the slightlest if they don't "know" their class. Do people pug raid that much anyway? Don't most people raid with kinmates and friends? This would put more money in Turbine's pocket which hopefully would get spent developing more content and features for the game. The game can't survive with money so I'm fine with whatever needs to be done to earn more profit as long as it's not too lore breaking. I don't want to see flying dragon mounts being sold for $50 cause that's not cool! But someone that doesn't level the "traditional" way does not affect my play session at all.
    [COLOR=#ff0000][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=red]Sarik - Warleader [/COLOR][COLOR=#339966][COLOR=SeaGreen]//[/COLOR] [/COLOR][COLOR=#3366ff]Jacin - Champion [COLOR=SeaGreen]//[/COLOR] [COLOR=Green]Aiden - Minstrel[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [/COLOR]
    [/COLOR]

200$? lol

Back when we could permanently play on Bullroarer, they had a nifty little auto-leveling system in there... I miss that server. I don't want to auto-level to 85 or whatever, but auto-leveling to the start of Mirkwood would be nice, since i have done everything prior to that two or three times.

As for the "but you gotta learn your class!" This isn't rocket science... you can learn you class by the time you are 20 or 30. If not before, and if it takes you 85 levels to learn your class, then I question whether you actually did or not.
    :: Emmarie Candlewick - Aspiring Talespinner :: Landroval ::

Quote Originally Posted by Aranglas View Post
    Well since you want the auto-level for PvP then ask for a PvP only maxed character purchase which will be a character restricted only in the Moors just like Creeps with the only difference being that he is in the Freep side. Not that I am in favor of even that one but it sounds a lot more logical compared to the fully maxed PvE + PvMP character.

But even in that case Freep PvP is one of the "VIP only" perks and I don't think that taking that away from them as an exclusive will do any good.
    Fine i guess, whatever. Just allow us to get LI scrolls and the like, as well with virtues.

Quote Originally Posted by KitsuneGirl View Post
    200$? lol

Back when we could permanently play on Bullroarer, they had a nifty little auto-leveling system in there... I miss that server. I don't want to auto-level to 85 or whatever, but auto-leveling to the start of Mirkwood would be nice, since i have done everything prior to that two or three times.

As for the "but you gotta learn your class!" This isn't rocket science... you can learn you class by the time you are 20 or 30. If not before, and if it takes you 85 levels to learn your class, then I question whether you actually did or not.

I agree with this, honestly i played my cousin's account and knew how to play 85s (champion/rk) without leveling...so what does that say. To me MMOs are clicking games....you just click buttons literally. $200 is ridiculous no one would spend that much, i'd pay a fair amount but not in the 100s.

I was going to say $300 but I felt generous. It's a good thing I'm not running the show. You'll pay my price or you'll level from scratch!!! EVIL LAUGH (Or you'll go play another game and I'll be fired for being a bad producer.)
    [COLOR=#ff0000][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=red]Sarik - Warleader [/COLOR][COLOR=#339966][COLOR=SeaGreen]//[/COLOR] [/COLOR][COLOR=#3366ff]Jacin - Champion [COLOR=SeaGreen]//[/COLOR] [COLOR=Green]Aiden - Minstrel[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [/COLOR]
    [/COLOR]

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast