We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Option to opt out of the double xp please !

Turbine, please give us an option to turn off the double xp. I get way to much now and absolutely do not need this or even want it. And since you have yet to make a second pocket to carry the xp disabler in, I don't like to use it on landscape because I hate not being able to carry my good pocket item. So either make a second pocket for the xp disabler or give us an option to turn off the double xp. Thank you.

My personal opinion.

It is not going to happen in time to help you. We are down to the last 30 days before launch. All hands will be working on Helms Deep. The odds of a game update before Helms Deep are near zero. If there is a game update it will be to fix problems with the existing content or game software that can't wait another 30 days.

Of your two suggestions:

1) Opt out of double experience points. Turbine is going to say - Problem solved. Buy and use the Stone of the Tortoise.

2) After all the time and energy spent over more than a year (actually closer to two years) developing the experience point disabler. I think Turbine is finished working on the concept. I do not see a toggle skill or another pocket slot coming.

Based on my own game play, leveling content is so easy. The loss of the combat bonuses for a pocket item does not degrade your character's performance or the difficulty of the content.

The only content I can think of is at level or above level group content where a combat pocket item would make a difference. You halted your character at level 50 to do the Angmar group content level 50 buddies. I doubt there are very many people that do difficult group content under level cap because of the difficulty of finding 2, 5 or 11 players at your level to do the content. What I see is that it is a level 50 in Carn Dum in a three character group where the other two characters are level capped.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Here's a couple of options I would love to see added

1. Make a +100% EXP buff NPC and place him/her in Bree every time you want to add this buff, and those who want it can go talk to the NPC who will give them the buff.

2. Make it so you can right-click the buff icon and choose "Cancel".

3. Create an EXP Disabler that works like Shared Storage: If you buy it, it gets added to your whole account. All present and future characters on all servers. That's the only way I will be able to afford it since I play many many characters on many servers.
    ;) “There are hundreds of paths up the mountain, all leading to the same place, so it doesn’t matter which path you take. The only person wasting time is the one who runs around the mountain, telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.” ~ Hindu Proverb

Silmelin, I love your signature. That is so cool.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

I just play one of my secondary level 85 chars for the time being, not all of them finished Rohan ... and take a look at other MMOs.

Edit: I just noticed that this "weekend" will go on until mid november ... oh my. That means that my low level chars will get a lot of levels during the festival (the quests always have the same level as the char) - assuming that the enhanced XP also work for quests. I really start to hate Turbine now.
    Last edited by Neumi; Oct 18 2013 at 05:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neumi View Post
    I just play one of my secondary level 85 chars for the time being, not all of them finished Rohan ... and take a look at other MMOs.

Edit: I just noticed that this "weekend" will go on until mid november ... oh my. That means that my low level chars will get a lot of levels during the festival (the quests always have the same level as the char) - assuming that the enhanced XP also work for quests. I really start to hate Turbine now.
    Consider the threads bemoaning the time and effort for a new player to get a character to cap to do so called "end game" content. This is, most likely, part of Turbine's answer to that issue. Turbine has provided a way to decline their generosity, though that has in built costs. (Note that I question the usefulness of that particular goal, but quite a few people appear to share it.)

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by soltasword View Post
    Turbine, please give us an option to turn off the double xp...
    They already did. Go mindless killing trivial mobs for slayer deeds. That way you will receive no xp & still get something achieved.

~ Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth ~

Quote Originally Posted by YamydeAragon View Post
    They already did. Go mindless killing trivial mobs for slayer deeds. That way you will receive no xp & still get something achieved.
    Now that sounds like a plan! I bet I could go ahead and do that for a full month! [/sarcasm]

Seriously, I fully realize why we have to pay to disable the XP we get when the game runs under normal conditions and play at 0% XP. But at the same time I think we should be allowed to opt out of global XP boost buffs for free to make the XP gain rate stay at 100% instead of skyrocketing to 200%.

Quote Originally Posted by Anyelir View Post
    Now that sounds like a plan! I bet I could go ahead and do that for a full month! [/sarcasm]

Seriously, I fully realize why we have to pay to disable the XP we get when the game runs under normal conditions and play at 0% XP. But at the same time I think we should be allowed to opt out of global XP boost buffs for free to make the XP gain rate stay at 100% instead of skyrocketing to 200%.
    I know that virtues are a necesary evil. They still offer a lot more benefits than their measure of annoyance. & im glad that you noticed that there isn't any bigger waste of TP than xp dissabler. Well maybe buy travel rations with TP is more irational.

Turbine, please give us an option to turn off the double xp. I get way to much now and absolutely do not need this or even want it. And since you have yet to make a second pocket to carry the xp disabler in, I don't like to use it on landscape because I hate not being able to carry my good pocket item. So either make a second pocket for the xp disabler or give us an option to turn off the double xp. Thank you.
    Better option I think: make the XP disabler bind to account, not bind on equip. That way people can buy 1 per server and put it in shared storage (since I don't think you can mail BtA things). This means Turbine doesn't have to spend any more resources on (yet another) XP disabling option and the people who want to move more slowly through the game have that option too.
    Officer in Windfola's House of Blackrock: a great, casual kin of people who play a lot. [url]http://hobonline.org[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by BlancoFallowhide View Post
    Better option I think: make the XP disabler bind to account, not bind on equip. That way people can buy 1 per server and put it in shared storage (since I don't think you can mail BtA things). This means Turbine doesn't have to spend any more resources on (yet another) XP disabling option and the people who want to move more slowly through the game have that option too.
    Except that that would defeat the purpose of binding them. The idea is that, if someone wants one on more than one character, they have to buy more than one Stone. That helps defray the development cost. Make the "shareable", and the income goes down, which would mean the price would have to go up...a lot.

I know that virtues are a necesary evil. They still offer a lot more benefits than their measure of annoyance.
    I think that many of the people who'd rather not have an XP boost forced upon them tend to cover the various in-game regions quite thoroughly and thus do their deeds as they go along. Some of them probably have few to no open deeds they can work on instead of playing the way they'd prefer. Filling a whole month with that limited number of deeds may be difficult in some cases.

Plus, for somebody who'd prefer to level at their own pace (and thereby implicitely would appreciate some challenge left to their gameplay) will in all likelihood be bored out of their mind after a month of slaying grey mobs.

"Shut up and go do grey deeds" is a very useless piece of advice in the current circumstances. It might work for a weekend, but not for a MONTH of double XP. Turbine just went overboard with the current XP boost event, I think.

im glad that you noticed that there isn't any bigger waste of TP than xp dissabler.
    Yeah, apart from the host of posts I've made all over the forums that clearly show that I like and use the XP disabler. It may be a useless item for you, but please don't put words into my mouth that are the complete opposite of my previously stated opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Anyelir View Post
    ...Some of them probably have few to no open deeds they can work on instead of playing the way they'd prefer. Filling a whole month with that limited number of deeds may be difficult in some cases... "Shut up and go do grey deeds" is a very useless piece of advice in the current circumstances. ... but please don't put words into my mouth that are the complete opposite of my previously stated opinion.
    Seriously?!!! You are putting words in my mouth not i on you, i never said "Shut up and go do grey deeds" you just did. Don't turn a friendly discusion about options in a war of rummors.

I only started playing this game a few weeks ago with two other family members, and we have all just reached level 20. We have already been a bit dismayed at out-leveling some game content. Since the game is new to us, we just want to immerse ourselves in it, and explore as much as possible. That has been our style in dozens of MMORPGs over the many long years we have played them together

We were all really irritated to find this double XP buff is in place for a month. Now we find we can buy something to turn off all XP? But that seems very illogical to us. Our choices seem to be Double XP, or no XP. Maybe it's because We are new players, but we all agree that is the most ridiculous ultimatum we have ever been forced to accept by any game we have played, and we have played dozens.

Fortunately, we only started this game to see if it interested us enough to invest our limited gaming time to continue, and we are not emotionally invested in it yet, unlike two other games we are still playing.

We are all sitting here this morning together just shaking our heads in bewilderment that we cannot simply toggle the double XP buff off like any other buff in any game we have played. We are not adverse to buying an item to disable the double-XP event either. But we just cannot come to grips with what we view as a silly proposition to either have double XP, or no XP at all. Who is the genius that decided these should be the only options?

Therefore, we all just decided to exercise our option to just quit the game and return to our other games before we end up finding ourselves in an even worse quandary down the road after investing our very valuable time. Any gaming company who cannot offer some road to compromise is not one we care to travel with in our adventures.

However, thank you for the three weeks of fun as the game did look promising,

SaardakaiOssovo, Jennette56, and B_Dawg505

/signed

I'm currently forced to only play Lv85 characters because I don't want to skip too many regions.
    [I]In the sea without lees standeth the Bird of Hermes.
    [/I][I]When all his feathers be from him gone, He standeth still here as a stone.
    Here is now both white and red, And all so the stone to quicken the dead[/I][I].
    The Bird of Hermes is my name, Eating my wings to make me tame.[/I]

Quote Originally Posted by Saardakai View Post
    I only started playing this game a few weeks ago with two other family members...

We were all really irritated to find this double XP buff is in place for a month.

We are all sitting here this morning together just shaking our heads in bewilderment that we cannot simply toggle the double XP buff off like any other buff in any game we have played. We are not adverse to buying an item to disable the double-XP event either. But we just cannot come to grips with what we view as a silly proposition to either have double XP, or no XP at all. Who is the genius that decided these should be the only options?

Therefore, we all just decided to exercise our option to just quit the game...

However, thank you for the three weeks of fun as the game did look promising,

SaardakaiOssovo, Jennette56, and B_Dawg505
    *sigh, smh, precisely what existing customers have pointed out over the years...and considering these are ones that cared enough to bother posting about it, imagine how many hundreds just leave without a word when they find the game forces them beyond content? (I suggest hundreds due to the 90-9-1 rule in internet communities.)
    Link to our community LOTRO store google spreadsheet pricelist and conversion rates, please contribute too!: https://goo.gl/wxPqCm

Quote Originally Posted by RJFerret View Post
    *sigh, smh, precisely what existing customers have pointed out over the years...and considering these are ones that cared enough to bother posting about it, imagine how many hundreds just leave without a word when they find the game forces them beyond content? (I suggest hundreds due to the 90-9-1 rule in internet communities.)
    Following that same rule of thumb also presents the vast majority may also not simply care about XP bonus or XP disabled/toggle one way or another either and just continue playign the game. The msot common thing about net communities is it is often those that feel burned that speak up, sure some leave silently but I highly doubt in as big droves of the unspoken as you claim.

The only examples anyone can truly talk about are their own feelings - and really have no proof or perception if they're with a majority or a vocal minority. Myself I probably fall in the majority that don't really care either way. OK a month of double xp - doesn't force me to decide anything one way or another, sure I got a minstrel that can take advantage of more XP, but I haven't logged in on her during this period because atm I just feel like doing stuff on my main.

A lot of gamers (ok, correction virtually everyone in my friends list) just do what they want when they want, having out leveled a few areas beyond their use doesn't bother them before area completion. Cashing in on double XP we don;t drop our maxed to just solely work on our alts, etc. We do what we want as we want, how we want and things like this just seem fickle. It's a game not a drama soap opera to be taken way too seriously.

I may always seem to only get the leveling bug bite me when there are no bonus XP times, and my alts never seem to get used when turbine opens the XP gates. But that's just us, playing the game how we like, doing what takes our fancy when we want to. No little gimmick dictates anything.

Game on.

edit - after thought : Lets assume turbine generally know what they're doing, and lets assume XP bonus/toggle/disabled is mostly a minority population concern - the company is better off catering their research and development of little things that will be utilised by the majority - a store bought item stops your xp...that's enough, do some deeds and you got the item. Otherwise....anything else is a waste of development where we can use some bug fixes maybe.

Anywhom, off to go feed the horses - a simple thing, meaningless daily task, but more important than anything a game does.
    Last edited by Lashmore; Oct 20 2013 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lashmore View Post
    A lot of gamers (ok, correction virtually everyone in my friends list) just do what they want when they want, having out leveled a few areas beyond their use doesn't bother them before area completion. Cashing in on double XP we don;t drop our maxed to just solely work on our alts, etc. We do what we want as we want, how we want and things like this just seem fickle. It's a game not a drama soap opera to be taken way too seriously.
    It doesn't matter at all to this guy, so therefore it's completely irrelevant and we're just making a soap opera out of it.

I'm especially impressed that he managed to take a poll of virtually everyone on his friends list.

The sea is calling us home...

Quote Originally Posted by Dordain View Post
    It doesn't matter at all to this guy, so therefore it's completely irrelevant and we're just making a soap opera out of it.

I'm especially impressed that he managed to take a poll of virtually everyone on his friends list.
    Yet no one really has any other basis than the people they know - the forum has the minority of the population.

No one has a greater basis or insight other than their personal preferences/experiences/and those they interact with.

The rest is just wild guesses.

But if onyl hearing from those that speak one side of the argument is productive - then why bother opening a thread at all? Self-defeating prophecy.
    Last edited by Lashmore; Oct 20 2013 at 11:16 PM.

Maybe those of us that don't want 30 days of double xp are a minority. We still have a right to ask for an option to be able to disable the extra xp without having to pay for the option. Turbine isn't making anyone pay for the option to have the double xp, there in, we who do not want it, shouldn't have to pay to disable it. Coding in an option to turn it off probably wouldn't take more than a couple of hours at best so the time and money spent to do it would be really nothing to them. So why not do it.

Ok, I have an idea. Every day for the 30 days, Turbine takes 17 Turbine Points from each character that logs in and plays the game for the double xp event. That equals the amount to buy the xp disabler at 495tp. It isn't account wide, it is from every character that logs in. That way, it is fair for everyone. If we have to pay to disable the double xp, why not every one have to pay to get it. Sounds fair to me. But how long do you think this option would last.

If we have to pay to disable it, you should have to pay to get it.

If we have to pay to disable it, you should have to pay to get it.
    ><((((°>

Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    Guys, please don't feed the trolls.

Back on topic I have good news. A little good will for players who didn't have a chance to buy the XP Disabler when it was 20% off a few weeks ago.
    Here's a coupon for 25% off that's good for 5 uses per account.

Coupon code: SLOWME

It gives 25% off of the XP disabler ONLY.
    More words

[Nothing to see here. Move along.]
    Last edited by Dordain; Oct 26 2013 at 10:58 PM.

There is an option to turn of the extra XP...stop playing the game for now.

Seriously, with all of the changes that are coming, I really don't see why people would want to continue leveling alts anyway. I stopped playing any lower level characters until Helm's Deep comes out because I don't want to get to 85 with them using the current skills and then find out that I have to re-learn everything all over again anyway.

And if people stopped playing, perhaps Turbine would get the message and give us an option to turn it off, other than having to pay for it...

Quote Originally Posted by Elderban View Post
    And if people stopped playing, perhaps Turbine would get the message and give us an option to turn it off, other than having to pay for it...
    Not a chance. The only reason they did it at all was because they could charge for it, and there's no way they're going to start undercutting that model of funding for new features by making them free later. Nor would I want them to... I like having the option to buy features that would not be done otherwise. My extra milestones, for instance.

If they were to ever offer an "account-wide" version, its price would have to scale to reflect that. My guess is that the average player has 5 characters, so I'd be surprised if an account-wide version were made available for less than 1995 TP.

To the OP: I know this will infuriate people, but this is almost certainly Working As Intended. If they had wanted for "double XP" to be a narrowly targeted effect, they would have designed it that way. Instead, it impacts everyone, and lasts for an entire month. I can think of three possible reasons:

1. They want to sell more XP disablers.
    2. They want to push more people toward "endgame" so they'll have a bigger pool of people most interested in spending $$ on the upcoming expansion.
    3. A great many (and probably even "most") people actually enjoy XP buffs.

Take your pick. It might be all three.

Khafar

Quote Originally Posted by Khafar View Post
    Not a chance. The only reason they did it at all was because they could charge for it, and there's no way they're going to start undercutting that model of funding for new features by making them free later. Nor would I want them to... I like having the option to buy features that would not be done otherwise. My extra milestones, for instance.

If they were to ever offer an "account-wide" version, its price would have to scale to reflect that. My guess is that the average player has 5 characters, so I'd be surprised if an account-wide version were made available for less than 1995 TP.

To the OP: I know this will infuriate people, but this is almost certainly Working As Intended. If they had wanted for "double XP" to be a narrowly targeted effect, they would have designed it that way. Instead, it impacts everyone, and lasts for an entire month. I can think of three possible reasons:

1. They want to sell more XP disablers.
    2. They want to push more people toward "endgame" so they'll have a bigger pool of people most interested in spending $$ on the upcoming expansion.
    3. A great many (and probably even "most") people actually enjoy XP buffs.

Take your pick. It might be all three.

Khafar
    The answer is [D] - All of the Above.

XP Disablers really should have been account wide to begin with. I know you guys that don't care about(or even sympathize with) XP issues don't really understand the reasons why "our camp" feel that way, but that's pretty much par for course around here.