We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 105
  1. #1

    Please add Swift Travel in Trollshaws

    Please do this. It's ridiculously long getting from point to point. It's not fun and it breaks the rhythm. I did Trollshaws with just one of my characters and hated it so much that I vowed never to do it again, and I feel I am missing out on an entire area. However, I refuse to quest through 7 minute stable rides back and forth.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hamburg
    Posts
    389
    They never did add swift travel for the Trollshaws...pity. I guess they just don't care if people skip the entire area.

  3. #3
    This is a great idea. It would probably get more attention over in the Player Suggestions forum, located here: https://www.lotro.com/forums/forumdi...er-Suggestions
    --= Windy Acres Ranch -- http://SteelAndMagic.com =--

  4. #4
    ya now that I think of it your right. It is a long enough travel

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Califonia
    Posts
    521
    Sometimes on those really long trips I like to toggle off the UI and admire the scenery - but usually I take that time to get a snack, or do some of the dishes.
    ****************************** ****
    Happy homeowner on Landroval and Laurelin!
    ****************************** ****

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Arkenstone
    Posts
    391
    This again? How many times has it been asked for now?

    /signed Please give us this! Please oh please!
    Bruuwnor, Dwarf Champion of Arkenstone, Pipeweed and Ale

  7. #7
    Until more swift travel options can be implemented, one way I have found to speed up travel, for those who may not be aware, is to jump off the Rivendell side of the Ford of Bruinen and hopefully incapacitate yourself. You will reappear at the rez circle near Thorenhad.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SE USA
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoraine View Post
    Sometimes on those really long trips I like to toggle off the UI and admire the scenery - but usually I take that time to get a snack, or do some of the dishes.
    Yeah, I usually take that time to paint a room, run a load of laundry, walk the dog, watch the entire LOTR extended trilogy with The Hobbit encore.....seriously, it is a long, boring and tempo-killing ride.
    Belandereth

    Killer of Threads
    Black Forge Elites and Union of the Black Forge.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Green part of a blue-red state
    Posts
    4,191
    I would list some TS routes that need FT, and others here:

    Thorenhad <--> Rivendell
    Echad Candelleth <--> Rivendell
    Thorenhad <--> Echad Candelleth
    Rvendell <--> Gloin's Camp

    Ost Guruth <--> Thorenhad

    Esteldin <--> Aughaire

    Points in Forochel need to be FT-ed up. Tie them to the quest deed levels like Eregion.

    Would like to see the Shire FT-ed up as well, but I doubt any squawking about that will be heard.
    Kinships: Fifth Star Vagabonds on Crickhollow (Dotswith); Random Access on Arkenstone (Dottiel)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Middle Earth, Arda
    Posts
    4,103
    No is not that long. I can use 5 minutes AFK to stretch my legs & take some air in the balcony while my toon rented horse ride from point A to point B at Trollshaw. It is not even enough time to prepare dinner or paint my room (unless my dinner consist of 1 apple & i don't care that my room painting turns crapy) .
    Is this Alternate Character Disorder? :

    Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hamburg
    Posts
    389
    Quote Originally Posted by YamydeAragon View Post
    No is not that long. I can use 5 minutes AFK to stretch my legs & take some air in the balcony while my toon rented horse ride from point A to point B at Trollshaw.
    That's all very well for people with a lot of time on their hands, but not so ideal for people who just want to spend what precious little time they have actually playing the game.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubbins View Post
    That's all very well for people with a lot of time on their hands, but not so ideal for people who just want to spend what precious little time they have actually playing the game.
    I agree. I am a casual player and when I sit down to play I want to maximize my efforts, not be forced to take breaks. That rules out Trollshaws not only due to the lack of Swift Travel but simply because of its extremely annoying design.

    Regardless, whether you think a 5-7 minute ride is a welcome break or not, this is poor design. That is far too long to travel to quest hubs within the SAME ZONE. If you look at the map, the 2 hubs are within inches of each other, not on opposite sides of the map, but because the route is so convoluted - travel is long and frustrating. I think the zone could use a re-design, but I have little hope of seeing that happen so I would be satisfied with Swift Travel.

    I also agree with the poster who listed the other additional Swift Travel routes.

    And thanks to the poster who mentioned the tip of jumping off the Ford and rezzing in Thorenhad.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Middle Earth, Arda
    Posts
    4,103

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by Caernach View Post
    ... If you look at the map, the 2 hubs are within inches of each other, not on opposite sides of the map, but because the route is so convoluted - travel is long and frustrating. I think the zone could use a re-design ...
    No, the zone is as should be, hilly. If any, by the lore, the hills should be several times higher & more stepped, & you should have to make 3 lapses around the mountains to go all the way up or down . Also, i didn't say is a bad think to have swift travelship everywhere, only that 5 minutes is not a long time.
    Is this Alternate Character Disorder? :

    Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by YamydeAragon View Post
    No, the zone is as should be, hilly. If any, by the lore, the hills should be several times higher & more stepped, & you should have to make 3 lapses around the mountains to go all the way up or down . Also, i didn't say is a bad think to have swift travelship everywhere, only that 5 minutes is not a long time.
    Game designers, same as movie-makers, take artistic license in order to appease their audience, wouldn't you agree? If we played LOTRO exactly like it was in the book, we wouldn't have 3 Auction Houses in Bree, just to name one small thing. Nor would we have milestones that zap us back to any location we wanted.

    Trollshaws can still be hilly and yet made easier to traverse. I think Trollshaws is a problem for the game. At that particular level range is when leveling begins to slow down. Add that to the slow travel in that area and I bet more than a few players lost interest in the game at that point. As for me, I knew other areas to quest in as well as other ways to level, so it wasn't that big a deal for me, but I've been playing MMOs for a long time. I think zones like this just kill the fun of the game. Designers shouldn't confuse "challenging" with "tedious". We already have enough tedium with reputation grinding.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1

    Smile

    I'm not pro-developer or anything and I know tedium being in a seat 90% of the time. But there is really no swift travel in the real movie either or even in the books that I can remember. Its a very small area in the game and has nothing to do with Helm's Deep Beta that I can see... I'm just sayin..

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    3,938
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchy199 View Post
    I'm not pro-developer or anything and I know tedium being in a seat 90% of the time. But there is really no swift travel in the real movie either or even in the books that I can remember. Its a very small area in the game and has nothing to do with Helm's Deep Beta that I can see... I'm just sayin..
    There is swift travel in the movie and books. Any time a book has a line like "They walked for three days without seeing any crerature larger than a fox.", that's swift travel. In a movie you see a cut from a scene where the character leave location A to one where they arrive at location B.
    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Loringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard
    http://www.theoldergamers.com

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,135
    Quote Originally Posted by Caernach View Post
    Please do this. It's ridiculously long getting from point to point. It's not fun and it breaks the rhythm. I did Trollshaws with just one of my characters and hated it so much that I vowed never to do it again, and I feel I am missing out on an entire area. However, I refuse to quest through 7 minute stable rides back and forth.
    If I had my way I would remove swift travel from this game entirely.

    Part of what made Tolkein's novels so good was that he successfully captured the feel of a long, adventurous journey through Middle Earth. That element is completely lost when you are asking Scotty to beam you all over the place.

    What they should do is add a new process to the game that scales the monsters to an appropriate strength when the player engages. That way combat is fresh and kept interesting while the player journeys through Middle Earth. And if it takes the player a long time to go get from point A to B, that's just too bad.

    That is how Middle Earth was. Players who want instant travel across the world should play a Star Trek game.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    South Tyrol, sadly in Italy
    Posts
    4,242
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremi View Post
    What they should do is add a new process to the game that scales the monsters to an appropriate strength when the player engages. That way combat is fresh and kept interesting while the player journeys through Middle Earth. And if it takes the player a long time to go get from point A to B, that's just too bad.
    Other games did that and failed. What's leveling good for if not to outlevel monsters?


    And yes, I would love a quick travel option through the Trollshaws. That and a common reputation port to the 21st hall.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SE USA
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremi View Post
    If I had my way I would remove swift travel from this game entirely.

    Part of what made Tolkein's novels so good was that he successfully captured the feel of a long, adventurous journey through Middle Earth. That element is completely lost when you are asking Scotty to beam you all over the place.
    I think players should have a choice to swift travel and to take the "slow horse". If you want to use your time looking at the scenery, that is fine. For those who are only available to play for a short period of time should be able to swift travel once they discover the stable point.
    Belandereth

    Killer of Threads
    Black Forge Elites and Union of the Black Forge.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,135
    Quote Originally Posted by Neumi View Post
    Other games did that and failed. What's leveling good for if not to outlevel monsters?


    .
    Leveling is good because it gives you new skills and abilities to use in combat. No one levels for the purpose of making combat boring.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,135
    Quote Originally Posted by phantasynut View Post
    I think players should have a choice to swift travel and to take the "slow horse". If you want to use your time looking at the scenery, that is fine. For those who are only available to play for a short period of time should be able to swift travel once they discover the stable point.
    And why is that?

    I don't see why limited play-time should entitle you to instant warps around the planet. If it was fun to explore and travel then players would want it to last anyway.

    These instant travel mechanics have been a net-bad for MMORPGs in my opinion.

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremi View Post
    Leveling is good because it gives you new skills and abilities to use in combat. No one levels for the purpose of making combat boring.
    but it stands to reason that at level 5, a wolf would present a challenge. however, through adventuring i improve my skills through using them against different foes, i hone my techniques, i acquire better gear. the wolf does not. so, if i go back to a level 5 area that wolf should not scale to my level.

    so no...just no.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,135
    Quote Originally Posted by goldensilence View Post
    but it stands to reason that at level 5, a wolf would present a challenge. however, through adventuring i improve my skills through using them against different foes, i hone my techniques, i acquire better gear. the wolf does not. so, if i go back to a level 5 area that wolf should not scale to my level.

    so no...just no.
    I've played many games where monsters scale with the character's level. They are infinitely more enjoyable, especially when returning to older areas.

    That is why people want swift travel to begin with. It's because the combat becomes so dull and pointless it's not worth the player's time, so they just want to skip over the zone. It's bad gameplay - and scaling monsters should be a no-brainer in my mind.

    And leveling up would still improve your skills. You would gain new abilities that make you more effective. All scaling the monsters would do is make the combat more enjoyable. I don't know why you are so against it. They already scale the instances, so why not the landscape?

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremi View Post
    I've played many games where monsters scale with the character's level. They are infinitely more enjoyable, especially when returning to older areas.

    That is why people want swift travel to begin with. It's because the combat becomes so dull and pointless it's not worth the player's time, so they just want to skip over the zone. It's bad gameplay - and scaling monsters should be a no-brainer in my mind.

    And leveling up would still improve your skills. You would gain new abilities that make you more effective. All scaling the monsters would do is make the combat more enjoyable. I don't know why you are so against it. They already scale the instances, so why not the landscape?
    combat in lower level area's may become dull and pointless but usually i don't visit low level area's for combat (except if i have deeds to complete...in which case i want that over as quickly as possible LOL). it's usually to turn in a quest or farm resources. and if i'm just doing that i do not want to have to fight every squirrel and chipmunk that has scaled to my level just to get where i'm going.

    hey, i enjoy challenging combat as much as the next guy but in your scenario, without swift travel you would take days and days (real time) just to make it from the shire to rivendell with all the fighting you'd have to do.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,135
    Quote Originally Posted by goldensilence View Post

    hey, i enjoy challenging combat as much as the next guy but in your scenario, without swift travel you would take days and days (real time) just to make it from the shire to rivendell with all the fighting you'd have to do.
    As long as it was fun why would this matter? You could add scaling quests and other activities to do as well. It doesn't have to be just fighting.

    I think MMORPGs are a much richer experience when traveling from the shire to Rivendell involves more than clicking a button.

 

 
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload