We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    The out of the blue invite is something typical in WoW. No matter where I go, no matter what I do, even if I just fly from Ironforge to some other place I will get 2-3 invites popping up without warning, which then reminds me that I have forgotten to turn off "receive invites".

In LOTRO I have gotten maybe 2 or 3 in my entire time in the game. People tend to ask... Not even that. I had maybe 2-3 of those as well. It just happens so seldom that I barely remember it.

In SWTOR I haven't received even just one of either.
    [CENTER]“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition”

[/CENTER]

I confess I had one night several months ago when I'd spent the week being bombarded with invite tells that I lost my temper with one. However, my usual response is "No thanks, not at this time." I think it's less frustrating now than when I was still new to the game because I'm getting less of them now that I my characters are spending most of my time away from "home base" (Bree). Although I did get one in Nona's Cave the other day. Very polite, from a member of a kin I recognized as being one of the larger ones on my server. I still turned them down, but I enjoyed the little conversation. Needless to say, it left me with a truly favorable impression of that kinship.

My bigger problem is with people who just can't resist being jerks when they see a female PC. Later that same night, deep in the dark recesses of The Shadowed Refuge, my younger character was questing with her partner. Out of the blue she started getting obnoxious come-ons from another character in the Say channel. Not smart on his part--my questing partner is protective of me, so it ticked him off, too. Then this fellow proceeded to follow us as we went out to our next quest destination, interfering with our battle rhythm and basically making me wish my burglar could hit HIM with Riddle so we could leave him behind. It just so happened we were heading into the Redhorn Lodes, so the orcs along with a run-speed boost eventually took care of the problem.

How does this relate to kin invite etiquette? I also took note of that player's kinship affiliation. His behavior left me with a bad impression of the kinship, even though it wasn't a kinship invite interaction. I suppose my message to kin leaders is this: if your kin is actively recruiting, even if your individual members might not be involved in the recruiting process--remind them not to be jerks when they're sporting your kinship banner. It reflects badly on your kinship and could make it harder for your recruiting members to be successful when they come across the players the jerks offended. Why? Because it makes people hesitant to become a part of a kinship where they might have to deal with that person on a regular basis.

Anyone wandering the landscape without a kin name under their name is bound to get requests like this, especially if they are lower level. It's always been that way for as long as I can remember. I don't find it particularly offensive - I think in most cases people are just trying to be helpful.

Thumbs down

Ninja kinship invites are wrong but spam text walls are as much as bad. Example (names are fictional if some kinsip or players on some server have that name is pure coincidence):
    [Regional] Randomofficer: 'Feeling lonely in that tiny kinship? Come & join THE AWESOMESAUCE with a established 7+ year history! Be a part of an extremely active, all-aspects kinship. We respect your privacy, avoid drama, have a website & 8 kin houses! Join us & have others online ALL the time to get help & advice from as we've been here since beta! We will ensure you that you will turn into a good player if you join us!

Seriously? stealing members from other kinships? & whats up with telling people that the only way to be good is joining them? & are all kinships from back to beta? i dont think so...
    Is this Alternate Character Disorder? :

Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth

Quote Originally Posted by YamydeAragon View Post
    Ninja kinship invites are wrong but spam text walls are as much as bad. Example (names are fictional if some kinsip or players on some server have that name is pure coincidence):
    [Regional] Randomofficer: 'Feeling lonely in that tiny kinship? Come & join THE AWESOMESAUCE with a established 7+ year history! Be a part of an extremely active, all-aspects kinship. We respect your privacy, avoid drama, have a website & 8 kin houses! Join us & have others online ALL the time to get help & advice from as we've been here since beta! We will ensure you that you will turn into a good player if you join us!

Seriously? stealing members from other kinships? & whats up with telling people that the only way to be good is joining them? & are all kinships from back to beta? i dont think so...
    I think it's good that people advertise their kins. How else are many new players going to find out about them? Sure, some of the claims and some of the writing leaves something to be desired, but it's a legitimate practice as far as I can see. There are a few kins that, even if I wasn't interested in joining, I learned a little bit more about via such ads. I think it enriches the community a bit to have that kind of advertising/info shared, as long as they aren't totally spamming all channels several times an hour.

I believe it's all in how the regional advertisement is worded, and personally, I ALWAYS read "Flock of Smeagols" advertisements on Landroval because they're hilarious.
    If you give away gold bars, someone will complain they're too heavy.
    .: Dannach, 100 WDN :.: Daire, 83 LMR :.: Gyrefalcon, 92 CHN :.: Brandon, 72 CPT :.: Honey, 71 GRD :.: Griffon, 69 HNT :.: Kaelenea, 72 RNK :.
    .: Iryth, 56 WDN :.: Baye, 56 WDN :.: Samtal, 64 WDN :.:Dunnock, 56 WDN :.: Sedgewald, 68 LMR :.: Breyon, 41 CHN :.: Tieran, 40 HNT :.

I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul.
    Might as well face it, I'm addicted to WDN

I think I replied earlier in this thread about fellowship invites in Bree and such (which I usually accept, because they frequently come from new players who don't even know what a fellowship is, and I try to be helpful to new players). But anyway...

On the subject of replying to tells...as an example, my dad plays LOTRO and doesn't pay a lot of attention to the chat box. His eyesight for small text isn't as good as it used to be and he doesn't sit that close to the computer. He often has the sound muted. Also, he doesn't have that much time to play LOTRO anyway. So if some random person sends him a tell - first of all, he probably won't notice it. If he does, he's not really obligated to spend his limited time playing the game typing a response to an unsolicited tell. Besides players like my dad, don't forget that there are new players who respond to tells in the "say" channel because they don't realize you might not see it. That's happened to me a few times. I've also met several players whose first language was not English, and they struggled with understanding and replying to messages. So I think it's better not to assume someone is rude just because they didn't respond, because you don't know why they didn't respond.

So when I send tells to people I don't know, I don't get offended if I don't get a response. Even if I'm asking something that could have some benefit to the other player - for example, "Are you questing here?" if I'm about to deed in the area, because I never want to interfere with on-level players questing, or "Are you deeding here? If so, do you want to group up?" if it's a higher level player who's probably not questing. Sometimes I ask if someone is trying to solo something (a warband/elite master/whatever) because I don't want to butt in and ruin their awesome solo, but I'm happy to help if they need help. I don't always get a response, which is fine with me. Also, I might send a tell along the lines of "That's an awesome looking horse/cloak/whatever, where'd you get it?" For some reason this almost always get a positive response. But if I didn't get a response, then that's fine with me too.

I do agree that if someone asks for help in a chat channel or is trying to get an instance started, it's a little rude not to respond to tells. At the very least, I think they should post in the appropriate chat channel that the instance is full. They solicited the tells and should be expecting them, and sometimes I want to alt over, get in a different instance if that one doesn't work out, etc. I don't get really upset, but I might be less inclined to join another group with that player if I think their communication is lacking.

As far as regional kinship invitations, I don't think there's anything wrong with them, unless they are spammed over and over again, which I usually don't see happening. In some ways they're nicer than ninja invites or even tells, because they really don't demand a response unless you are interested. I mostly just ignore them, although there is one particular kinship that writes up really funny invitations, which I always read even though I have no interest in joining.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisli View Post
    I do agree that if someone asks for help in a chat channel or is trying to get an instance started, it's a little rude not to respond to tells. At the very least, I think they should post in the appropriate chat channel that the instance is full. They solicited the tells and should be expecting them, and sometimes I want to alt over, get in a different instance if that one doesn't work out, etc. I don't get really upset, but I might be less inclined to join another group with that player if I think their communication is lacking.
    SO TRUE. This is actually a pet peeve of mine. If you're asking for people for a group, or otherwise asking people to respond to something you post in a chat channel, then it's extremely rude not to reply if they do. People who do this are making a bad impression, and like you, I will think twice about helping them in the future. Ditto for people who don't respond when I send them something. It's just rude.
    Last edited by frickinmuck; Apr 07 2014 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Grammar repairs

The kin I'm in now started as a blind invite. But the guy who invited me was quick to send me a tell to go along with it right behind that. Usually when I start a new alt, I get bombarded if I don't catch a kin member on to invite me in. All my alts are always female, I usually just feel silly playing a male character (why I don't know, I guess being a woman, I'd rather play a female character), so I can't say as to whether that influences it. I will say, when I'm on my hunter in low level areas, I get a lot of tells requesting I port someone somewhere when I don't even know who they are. And it's always amusing when they call my character beautiful, never fails to crack me up that they're hitting on a bunch of pixels. :P
    Work in progress...

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBelle0927 View Post
    I also took note of that player's kinship affiliation. His behavior left me with a bad impression of the kinship, even though it wasn't a kinship invite interaction. I suppose my message to kin leaders is this: if your kin is actively recruiting, even if your individual members might not be involved in the recruiting process--remind them not to be jerks when they're sporting your kinship banner. It reflects badly on your kinship and could make it harder for your recruiting members to be successful when they come across the players the jerks offended. Why? Because it makes people hesitant to become a part of a kinship where they might have to deal with that person on a regular basis.
    Absolutely this. I consider players to be representatives of their kinships by the simple virtue of wearing the kinship name under their own. Regardless of their kinship status, whether they be leaders, officers, or recruits, I have and I will judge the entire kinship by their actions and behavior. An individual's immaturity, trolling, or a penchant for drama certainly tells me all I need to know about the circle to which that individual belongs on a regular basis where he/she is tolerated and maintained. When several individuals from the same kinship behave in unsavory fashion, my inclination to interact with its members takes a dead plunge. Conversely, good and positive experiences with members of a particular kinship certainly casts it in a favorable light of respect.
    Éala Éarendel engla beorhtast / ofer middangeard monnum sended / and sodfasta sunnan leoma, / tohrt ofer tunglas þu tida gehvane / of sylfum þe symle inlihtes.

Quote Originally Posted by thinx View Post
    Better receiving an ims with a request than a a ninja invite without anything.
    If you get a ninja ANY kind of request, you can say, "No, thank you."

If, and only if, they start arguing with you, then you can /ignore them.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    If you get a ninja ANY kind of request, you can say, "No, thank you."

If, and only if, they start arguing with you, then you can /ignore them.
    So the other day when someone sent me a ninja request to join my kinship and I said 'No Thanks!', that was okay?
    Today is a good day for Pie.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

Quote Originally Posted by frickinmuck View Post
    I think it's good that people advertise their kins. How else are many new players going to find out about them? Sure, some of the claims and some of the writing leaves something to be desired, but it's a legitimate practice as far as I can see. There are a few kins that, even if I wasn't interested in joining, I learned a little bit more about via such ads. I think it enriches the community a bit to have that kind of advertising/info shared, as long as they aren't totally spamming all channels several times an hour.
    I agree 100%. I had always thought a brief ad in Regional or whatever was the preferred method to advertise for your kin. It allows them to get their message out, and like someone else said earlier, it's passive so it doesn't require a direct response from other players.

On the flip-side to kin advertising, there is a kin on my server that doesn't advertise at all. I think the only exception was their sixth or seventh year anniversary and they had a recruiting drive as part of their celebration. I honestly don't remember for sure which kin it is (I don't pay much attention to kins) but it is one of the better ones on the server. If I had the game time to be active in a kin, then this is the type I'd be a part of.

You people are being rude for not joining the kin.

join the dam kin try it out maybe meet some. this is a multi player game after all there is nothing wrong with actually interacting with someone. Who knows you may hear a funny joke, meet a new friend, go on an adventure or learn or teach someone about the game all because you weren't a doush and said yes. If you don't like it drop. It not a one time commitment for life. Get over your self righteous selves

You anti people, people make MMO's so stupid and pointless.

This thread is full of Debbie downers and this game was infested with them and their fail ideology and look what happened to it.

Let this be a warning.

Quote Originally Posted by YamydeAragon View Post

Kinships advertising with a "spam text wall" (as you call them) is the primary method of recruitment that most kinships have to rely on to get their name out. The vast majority of the player base seems to either not use the forums or ignore them. So, while many of the more well-known kinships probably make use of the forums, putting some messages out via regional/ooc chat is the only real option to catch the widest audience.
    And, doing so around Bree (or other "hubs") tends to be wise.

Also, the example kinship recruitment message you use is a tad bit... exaggerated (to say the least). I have never, in all my time playing LOTRO, seen any message that comes across similar to your example.
    There are some advertisements which will make mention of the fact that some people may feel "lonely" even though they are part of a kinship. They are right to some degree in attempting to appeal to those who may be in a kinship but are not happy with their current membership. There is nothing wrong with that. Every good "salesman" will attempt to make his "product" sound better than what you currently have.
    And, many of the more well-established kinships will make note of the fact that they have been around for x-amount of time. My own kinship does this with our recruiting. We want people to know that we've been here a long time and won't likely disappear anytime soon. We know that a good many people may want to be part of a group that is a well-established "network" they can rely on for socializing and getting help.
    It could, also, be said that joining a kinship is a "tried and true" avenue toward improving your character. Any good kinship will seek to help their members improve ("get better") because doing so helps everyone else... especially when it comes time to run groups. It is what my kinship does and 100% of the time the "investment" we make in helping our members "get better" produces good results. (Though, no kinship should really need to say that...)

To be blunt... your response comes across a little "strong" toward a simple kinship advertisement.
    Dagranhad - Burglar | Aldgarea - Loremaster | Barathrothir - Hunter | Golladhar - Captain

Quote Originally Posted by enzo View Post

join the dam kin try it out maybe meet some. this is a multi player game after all there is nothing wrong with actually interacting with someone. Who knows you may hear a funny joke, meet a new friend, go on an adventure or learn or teach someone about the game all because you weren't a doush and said yes. If you don't like it drop. It not a one time commitment for life. Get over your self righteous selves

This thread is full of Debbie downers and this game was infested with them and their fail ideology and look what happened to it.

Let this be a warning.
    You might also want to keep in mind your own words... there are real people on the other end of all the characters you see running around. And, conducting yourself in a manner that is mature goes a long way.

"Blind invites" in games like this are considered to be not welcome. Just as there are a host of other "behaviors" in MMOs that are considered not welcome either.

Granted... some of the reactions I've seen to "blind invites" are over the top. The person sending the "blind invite" may be new and not realize that sending a message beforehand (and waiting for a reply!) is the better way.
    Dagranhad - Burglar | Aldgarea - Loremaster | Barathrothir - Hunter | Golladhar - Captain

Let this be a warning.
    One thing I would like to point out is that people have always played solo in MMOs, even in a social built MMO like Ultima Online. When I played UO in 1999-2003 I always saw people not joined to a guild doing their own thing by them selves. Same with Star Wars Galaxies and World of Warcraft. People not being sociable in MMOs is nothing new.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

You anti people, people
    Must join the killer robots!

Today is a good day for Pie.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

Quote Originally Posted by bambubambubambu View Post
    Must join the killer robots!

He looks like he means it!
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Quote Originally Posted by TheCrossbow View Post
    You might also want to keep in mind your own words... there are real people on the other end of all the characters you see running around. And, conducting yourself in a manner that is mature goes a long way.

"Blind invites" in games like this are considered to be not welcome. Just as there are a host of other "behaviors" in MMOs that are considered not welcome either.

Granted... some of the reactions I've seen to "blind invites" are over the top. The person sending the "blind invite" may be new and not realize that sending a message beforehand (and waiting for a reply!) is the better way.
    yes blind invites and saying have a nice day are things that would get you hog tied and gutted on a number of lotro servers.

you guys are so rude and anti people its sickening.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    One thing I would like to point out is that people have always played solo in MMOs, even in a social built MMO like Ultima Online. When I played UO in 1999-2003 I always saw people not joined to a guild doing their own thing by them selves. Same with Star Wars Galaxies and World of Warcraft. People not being sociable in MMOs is nothing new.
    one thing I would like to point out they killed this game by making it a solo mindless "casual" fest.

how to flush 10 mill per year in profits down the drain just call turbine and ask for advice on the "casual" player.....

...all because you weren't a doush
    A doush? Please choose the definition you intended to use for us ignorant, antisocial people:

Doush:

1. Rural village in Cambodia
    2. Rubber injection molding company in China
    3. Improper spelling of the word best describing the author who used it.

Just curious, would hate to jump to conclusions based on uncertain data. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by TheCrossbow View Post
    Kinships advertising with a "spam text wall" (as you call them) is the primary method of recruitment that most kinships have to rely on to get their name out. The vast majority of the player base seems to either not use the forums or ignore them. So, while many of the more well-known kinships probably make use of the forums, putting some messages out via regional/ooc chat is the only real option to catch the widest audience.
    And, doing so around Bree (or other "hubs") tends to be wise.

Also, the example kinship recruitment message you use is a tad bit... exaggerated (to say the least). I have never, in all my time playing LOTRO, seen any message that comes across similar to your example.
    There are some advertisements which will make mention of the fact that some people may feel "lonely" even though they are part of a kinship. They are right to some degree in attempting to appeal to those who may be in a kinship but are not happy with their current membership. There is nothing wrong with that. Every good "salesman" will attempt to make his "product" sound better than what you currently have.
    And, many of the more well-established kinships will make note of the fact that they have been around for x-amount of time. My own kinship does this with our recruiting. We want people to know that we've been here a long time and won't likely disappear anytime soon. We know that a good many people may want to be part of a group that is a well-established "network" they can rely on for socializing and getting help.
    It could, also, be said that joining a kinship is a "tried and true" avenue toward improving your character. Any good kinship will seek to help their members improve ("get better") because doing so helps everyone else... especially when it comes time to run groups. It is what my kinship does and 100% of the time the "investment" we make in helping our members "get better" produces good results. (Though, no kinship should really need to say that...)

To be blunt... your response comes across a little "strong" toward a simple kinship advertisement.
    I think he was exaggerating a tad for dramatic effect. I've seen some interesting chat spammed kin ads, some not so interesting, some highly entertaining...and some that appear so frequently that they become annoying when I'm trying to follow something in the midst of the stream. They run the gamut on my server, and they take spells. I took a peak at the Flock of Smeagols (Landroval server) ad, and those have to be the best ones I've seen yet. Too bad I'm on a different server. I'd be less likely to avoid reading the general tab in populated areas if we had ads like that on mine!

/end response to The Crossbow

My only problem is when people get obnoxious. I had problems with really aggressive invites from a few individuals--as in being accosted daily and harangued when I said I wasn't interested--when I first started playing, and it made me rather "ballista"-shy about interacting with other players. I've come out of my MMO "shell" since then, as some of you probably have guessed from my activities here. <insert Skype "wasntme" emote here>

I have a wonderful time questing with my friend, who I met while engaging in social activities in the crafting hall in Bree (imagine that!). We also enjoy interacting with other players and getting into the spirit of the moment, whether it's emote conversations, playing music, or being an active audience for other players. We also join fellowships when the mood strikes. We aren't anti-social by any means. Joining a big, or even smallish, kin just isn't what we want to do at this time. That doesn't mean "NEVER", it just means "NOT RIGHT NOW".

Being anti-ninja-kin-invite is not the same as being anti-kinship or anti-people. It's simply being "anti-rude" and "anti-obnoxious". I hope that with the coming changes to kinship rules that we may see the end of the "OMG, my kinship's going to be disbanded in x number of days if I don't get to minimum membership!!!!" panic that I think drives some of the ninja invite behavior.

Thus endeth the wall of text...for now...

Quote Originally Posted by frickinmuck View Post
    SO TRUE. This is actually a pet peeve of mine. If you're asking for people for a group, or otherwise asking people to respond to something you post in a chat channel, then it's extremely rude not to reply if they do. People who do this are making a bad impression, and like you, I will think twice about helping them in the future. Ditto for people who don't respond when I send them something. It's just rude.
    And you've just hit a pet peeve of mine You make the assumption about other people being rude, extremely rude even. But are you sure you can validate that?

There are a myriad of trivial or more serious reasons outside of the scope of your perception that can result in you not recieving a reply. And each of those reasons has nothing to do with that person being extremely rude.

They could just have missed your initial response for whatever reason. It happens.

Let this be a warning.
    I don't have anything against people, but since I can only be in one kin (per character - but I prefer to have them all in the same kin), I'm going to be a little choosy as far as kinships. It's kind of like if I saw an ad on TV and was interested in - I'd probably shop around and look at options. And if some salesperson bluntly said, out of the blue, "Do you want to buy this one?" I'd probably say "No." Not necessarily because it's not the one I want, but how would I know when I haven't even looked at it yet?

You're giving examples of potential good things that might happen in a kin, but there are negative things too. I might hear a funny joke - or I might hear distasteful jokes and swearing, which I don't enjoy. I might meet a new friend - who then nags me to help them level and craft them stuff (and supply the mats, of course) everytime I log on, to the point where all my game time is spent doing work for them and I take a break from the game. (This has happened - I didn't used to know you could go anonymous.) I might be able to help out some new players - and then, after trying to be helpful, I might get a message from an officer saying that I need to help people level up more, when I'm only around level 40 myself. (This has happened too - it came from the second kin I was in. After a break from the game, I was really, really happy that I'd been kicked out for inactivity. Didn't even have to hurt anyone's feelings by leaving.)

If someone randomly invites me, I don't know what kind of kin it is, and the fact that they didn't even ask me first tells me something about them. It doesn't mean they're a bad person or anything, but I want to be in a kin where the officers are mature and have good communication. So that's an automatic red flag for me. Also, a kinship based on random invites may not have the most mature players. I want a kin where I could have an intelligent and friendly discussion. Besides that - what if I don't like the kinship name? I was almost talked into joining a particular kin once - the leader of the kin was very friendly and we had a nice conversation about it. However, I found the kinship name a mildly objectionable and I didn't want it under my character's name. So I politely declined.

So your post above doesn't seem fair, because you're assuming that the reason people don't join a kin is because they don't like to be around people. However, you don't know what their reason is. I listed a few possible reasons from my own point of view, but I'm sure there are many, many others. (Also, your post above would automatically rule your kinship off my list - not because I think you're a bad person or a bad player or whatever, but simply because I wouldn't like to see bashing of other players in my chatbox all the time.)

Finally - if the game is infested with so many awful people, why would you want to join a kinship? If that were true, I'd probably want to stay away from them.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast