We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    3,712

    50% off Helm's Deep

    Wow, only 5 months in. Granted, only a limited time offer (April 11-17), but far sooner than I expected it. Maybe I'll check it out--2100TP is practically nothing.
    [color=red]Work like no one is watching, dance like you don't need the money...[/color]

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Posts
    3,090
    This is likely because players need Helm's Deep to access a lot of the new content coming in U13 on Monday. Players were requesting a sale on Helm's Deep in a recent dev Q&A, and it seems they're getting it.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    3,712
    Quote Originally Posted by frickinmuck View Post
    This is likely because players need Helm's Deep to access a lot of the new content coming in U13 on Monday.
    Why's that? Because of the Epic? Or are the quests/rewards in the new zone gated behind completion of HD quests?
    [color=red]Work like no one is watching, dance like you don't need the money...[/color]

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
    Wow, only 5 months in. Granted, only a limited time offer (April 11-17), but far sooner than I expected it. Maybe I'll check it out--2100TP is practically nothing.
    There was a 50% off on the web store versions that you buy with dollars some months ago. It may have been 4-6 weeks after launch. I bought Helms for half price on December 21, 2013.
    Last edited by Yula_the_Mighty; Apr 10 2014 at 04:23 PM.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    7,583
    Quote Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
    Why's that? Because of the Epic? Or are the quests/rewards in the new zone gated behind completion of HD quests?
    The regions are included with the purchase of the Helms Deep Expansion. They are not part of any other purchase. The regions quest lines can be started without completing the rest of the epic, but the U13 portion of the epic requires doing all of the prior HD epic (including, alas the Epic battles)
    Crell-L85-Champion - Riddermark ; Swego-L85-Burglar ; Kotvi-L95-Runekeeper
    Delego-L85 Hunter ; Stodden-L51-Captain ; Edhul-L61-Loremaster
    Deglorion - SoA XP Disabler

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Posts
    3,090
    Quote Originally Posted by Crell_1 View Post
    The regions are included with the purchase of the Helms Deep Expansion. They are not part of any other purchase. The regions quest lines can be started without completing the rest of the epic, but the U13 portion of the epic requires doing all of the prior HD epic (including, alas the Epic battles)
    To be clear: none of the quests in the new Fangorn region, or in Flooded Isengard, can be accessed without HD. Everyone can travel there regardless of account status and regardless of whether they own HD, but to do the quests, you need HD.

    This question has been covered here and here.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    3,712
    Quote Originally Posted by Crell_1 View Post
    The regions are included with the purchase of the Helms Deep Expansion. They are not part of any other purchase. The regions quest lines can be started without completing the rest of the epic, but the U13 portion of the epic requires doing all of the prior HD epic (including, alas the Epic battles)
    Interesting--they're not going to be in the store as separate quest packs? Wonder why that is.
    [color=red]Work like no one is watching, dance like you don't need the money...[/color]

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by frickinmuck View Post
    This is likely because players need Helm's Deep to access a lot of the new content coming in U13 on Monday. Players were requesting a sale on Helm's Deep in a recent dev Q&A, and it seems they're getting it.
    I was one that asked on the notbilbo twitch name.

    I always expected it to be on sale as it makes good business/marketing sense, eek i even told glff people 2 weeks ago to expect to see it on sale this week, and also gave then the secret to lotro sale which is this weeks free is next weeks sale(granted not sure what that means with a key but the sales are not random)

    I would also expect to see a mailshot within a few days with this weeks hd sales alongside the news of U13, and i know this stuff not by doing fancy Jedi stuff, but something as simple as knowing Turbine know how to run a business.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
    Interesting--they're not going to be in the store as separate quest packs? Wonder why that is.
    They're trying to add value to the HD expac, and drive sales of HD which is priced higher than a simple area quest pack.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Posts
    3,090
    Quote Originally Posted by Namesse View Post
    They're trying to add value to the HD expac, and drive sales of HD which is priced higher than a simple area quest pack.
    There is already a lot more value from HD than from a regional questpack. There are trait points you can't get elsewhere, the epic battles system, the epic quests, etc.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    615
    Quote Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
    Interesting--they're not going to be in the store as separate quest packs? Wonder why that is.
    Most likely because for the other quest packs, you already have free access to the epic line. The quest packs let people pick up just the other content without the extra bells and whistles in the expansions. For example, you can play the epic quests in Moria and Mirkwood, you can pick up the quest packs for those to access the non-epic quests that require completion of certain parts of the epic, like instances. Since the epic quests aren't free in HD, doing a separate quest pack for U13 isn't logical, because you wouldn't get to play any of the non-epic quests that require an epic quest or chain to be completed before they open up to you.


    Someone please correct me if I've muddled it, please. Thanks!

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by frickinmuck View Post
    There is already a lot more value from HD than from a regional questpack. There are trait points you can't get elsewhere, the epic battles system, the epic quests, etc.
    I made no judgment on the current value of HD, I simply stated that adding more content adds more value to HD.

    For those that haven't purchased HD, will they perceive its value now sufficient with a new area and a sale in the upcoming week to purchase it? As players we'll never know, we might get anecdotes but only Turbine will have the numbers.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    4,345
    Actually there's nothing in HD except for quests and epic (including BBs). There's no raids or instances to sell separately. Why should they offer a quest pack that is identical to the expansion?
    I'd explain it to you, but I'm all out of Puppets and Crayons.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    GLADDEN SERVER
    Moochy, 105 Minstrel R10

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Namesse View Post
    For those that haven't purchased HD, will they perceive its value now sufficient with a new area and a sale in the upcoming week to purchase it?
    For me it seems sufficient now. Frickinmuck helped persuade me too, in another thread, but basically I'm going to have to anyway to keep progressing with the game; which I do hope to see through to the end. Now seems like a good time to go ahead and get it, but I have intentionally not purchased it yet as (to me personally) it didn't seem all that interesting, at least not at full price.

  15. #15
    Wait, does this 50% off offer only apply to TP-based unlocks of the expansion pack? It doesn't seem to be on in the web store.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Posts
    3,090
    Quote Originally Posted by freedaemons View Post
    Wait, does this 50% off offer only apply to TP-based unlocks of the expansion pack? It doesn't seem to be on in the web store.
    Most likely, since the ad is for the in-game LotRO store.

  17. #17
    Well, it's baffling that something that is available for both cash and TP is only on discount by TP purchase. Wouldn't you prefer if I threw money at you instead of TP, Turbine?

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by freedaemons View Post
    Well, it's baffling that something that is available for both cash and TP is only on discount by TP purchase. Wouldn't you prefer if I threw money at you instead of TP, Turbine?
    Well by all means buy it at full price if "you feel like throwing money at Turbine".

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutheran View Post
    Well by all means buy it at full price if "you feel like throwing money at Turbine".
    I'm guessing freedaemons is talking about the fact that spending accumulated TP is different than spending cash. For example, I have a lot of accumulated TP from being VIP. I've already paid for it, so it doesn't really matter money-wise if I let it sit in my account or if I buy something with it. (Besides that, you can get TP for free as well.) The only reason that Turbine needs to care if I spend my TP is that I might buy more TP if I spend what I have. But then again, I might not buy any more TP when I use them up, and that wouldn't help Turbine at all. On the other hand, if I buy something with cash, I'm giving Turbine money on top of what I paid for my TP. (This could also be ideal for the player if they want to save TP for items other than expansions, which aren't sold for cash. That's what I usually do.)

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Decatur, AL
    Posts
    5,441
    Consider it a perk of being VIP. Free expansions.
    If you give away gold bars, someone will complain they're too heavy.
    .: Dannach, 100 WDN :.: Daire, 83 LMR :.: Gyrefalcon, 92 CHN :.: Brandon, 72 CPT :.: Honey, 71 GRD :.: Griffon, 69 HNT :.: Kaelenea, 72 RNK :.
    .: Iryth, 56 WDN :.: Baye, 56 WDN :.: Samtal, 64 WDN :.:Dunnock, 56 WDN :.: Sedgewald, 68 LMR :.: Breyon, 41 CHN :.: Tieran, 40 HNT :.

    I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul.
    Might as well face it, I'm addicted to WDN

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisli View Post
    I'm guessing freedaemons is talking about the fact that spending accumulated TP is different than spending cash. For example, I have a lot of accumulated TP from being VIP. I've already paid for it, so it doesn't really matter money-wise if I let it sit in my account or if I buy something with it. (Besides that, you can get TP for free as well.) The only reason that Turbine needs to care if I spend my TP is that I might buy more TP if I spend what I have. But then again, I might not buy any more TP when I use them up, and that wouldn't help Turbine at all. On the other hand, if I buy something with cash, I'm giving Turbine money on top of what I paid for my TP. (This could also be ideal for the player if they want to save TP for items other than expansions, which aren't sold for cash. That's what I usually do.)
    Thank you, I don't see why that's so hard to understand for some people.

  22. #22
    Um, so if I don't have enough TP (I'm VIP, but so far I needed all my TP for buying storage room) and need HD I still have to pay the full price in EUR? Gaah, that sucks; now that my first characters are nearing level 80 I thought that sooner or later I'll have to buy HD to carry on and a special offer would have just fit my needs :/

    Has anyone already calculated the worth of TP needed for it? As if: Let me buy enough TP to get the reduced HD package - how's that price compared to the full price of the package in the web store?
    (I suck with numbers and math )
    ~ Huntress reincarnated ~

  23. #23
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Middle-earth
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
    Wow, only 5 months in. Granted, only a limited time offer (April 11-17), but far sooner than I expected it. Maybe I'll check it out--2100TP is practically nothing.
    It already was for sale at this rate of discount before.

    And the timing round U13 is excellent.

    You get it half price and you get more for it than the Original package.

    If you have TP's banked this is a no-brainer. If only to play the Epic right up to ending Saruman's reign in Isengard.

  24. #24
    I would buy it if it was in the LOTRO Market because I don't like to spend my TP for expansions
    [img]https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/520x293q90/24/4xhh.jpg[/img]

  25. #25
    Time to bust out those reputation items.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload