We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What is YOUR stance on certain cds?

On my server, if its an unorganized 1v1 or 1v2 or whatever, I'll use anything and everything, but in organized 1v1s I refrain from using dire need at the bequest of creeps but I will use both bubbles depending on who I'm fighting...however if its a reaver with WL buffs that uses wrath the whole fight I don't feel as bad for using DN. In 1v1s ba's and burgs alike pop touch and go/whatever the BA's evade is called. Captains never use last stand, but defilers and warleaders spam heal and just slow dps the way down.

On other servers it's been a lot different, i.e no cds no bubbles whatsoever, and while I realise its possible, but it only seems so if the creep holds back a lot as well, it seems very unlikely for a mid rank champ to win a 1v1 against a high rank reaver without atleast one bubble, unless both sides refrain from using half their skills...which seems boring and stupid.

Example? I was talking to a high rank notorious reaver organizing a 1v1 between us, the first fight I won with only one bubble(he was a little drunk) The second fight he went all out using every skill he had, literally every skill (I know the animations pretty well from playing reaver for 2 years) including AtO and he had about 10k left and I was dipping down to 1k with a bubble, knowing my end was near I used Dire Need cause..well the situation was dire? and as soon as I went back up to 9k he ended the 1v1.

With him having wrath going and a few other skills up, including bleeds set up for impale, it seems that the fight would still be pretty fair, possible even in his favor as I didn't have anything left on the defensive side besides bracing(and man heal but I don't use that just cause it seems overboard.)

I'm not complaining about the fight or anything, I'm just sharing the way some people look at CDs, and I'm wondering how the rest of you look at it. I just figure I'm a pretty decent champ in fervour, not the best but not he worst, and I have a nice challenge(sometimes way too much) even with cds, soloing around moors, one time the creep raid was even nice enough to let my solo butt scurry on by, as they knew I wasn't with the fraid.

So whats your outlook on cds? Do you believe in moors courtesy? Do you like challenge? Are the creeps/freeps good enough to handle your CDs and utilize their own? is it an all out fight to the death where you must slaughter whoever stands in your way of rank 15 and perfect rating?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d0000002c9618/signature.png]Farimur[/charsig]

Use it all.
    Rank 14 Minstrel, Rank 10 Rune-keeper, Rank 7 Champion
    Rank 11 Weaver, Rank 11 Blackarrow, Rank 10 Reaver, Rank 10 Stalker, Rank 9 Defiler, Rank 7 Warleader

play fair, be flexible.....know what your opponent is capable of, and decide from there.

Quote Originally Posted by wretchesandkings View Post
    play fair, be flexible.....know what your opponent is capable of, and decide from there.
    pretty much this. whatever makes for close fights, and what the scenario is. If I've been tracked 5 times in the last 30 seconds near gtr and a warg pounces me, chances are I'm going to play it very differently than if i'm by the old plains OP and that same warg jumps me.
    [center][img]http://i58.tinypic.com/2wrm5ja_th.jpg[/img][/center]
    [center]Let our actions speak for themselves. Jinjaah has been pouring over every post in the Bullroarer forum. Please keep in mind that any experiences with previous LOTRO teams are not reflective of the current team, give us a chance[/center]

For me, any class can use and abuse their CD's against me. Champs can go ahead, bubble and Dire need, cappies can last stand, wardens can pop what ever and spam heal until the cows come home. But once you've done it, I consider it a win, and because I'm not too bothered about dying, or getting infamy, you can go ahead.

Of course I'd prefer you didn't, but if you want to blow it, go ahead. I couldn't care less by this point...
    "All of us have left someone behind. That is why we brave the darkness. We fight so they may see the dawn."

First of all, unless I have bowed beforehand, I don't consider it a 1v1, and I'll use all I got in open field fights.

As a general rule, I don't use wrath/ATO/DR in 1v1s. I don't use morale pots either, not sure if people use them or not really. The one exception is cappys, where I do use wrath, but honestly it hardly ever makes a difference and I lose anyway. I have certain pre-established rules for some classes:

Burg: If he pops TnG I'll use wrath. KO I feel I should be able to kite without any CDs, TnG is way harder to kite. If he resets his skills/hips I'll probably get pissed and try all I got to kill him.

LMs: If he uses WotC I'll probably use ATO, or maybe wrath, depends on the fight. If he also spams WL I'll use both of the previous ones. If he also uses tar and abuses kiting + WL I'll just use DR to kill him.

Champ: Sprint is a completely unfair skill in this fight, and I wont fight a champ that does it. Other than that you can gauge the fight; against some champs I can take a bubble or 2 without blowing any CDs, against others I'll use wrath or ATO to deal with bubbles. DR is not so usefull in this fight.

RK: The only CD I know is AoS and I'll blow anything to kill an RK that uses it, especially since they are perfectly capable of killing you without it.

Thats about it so far, maybe theres some CDs I'm not familiar with yet, but thats what I go by atm.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020100004f382b/signature.png]Bloodbad[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by wretchesandkings View Post
    This is pretty much what I do. I generally don't blow CDs (being a Warg all I really have are 2) if my opponent doesn't. If I'm fighting someone that decides to pop bubbles, morale boosts, etc., then I will be inclined to do the same.

Some of my decisions are based on class as well. I'm more inclined to pop a few if I'm fighting a Warden, (I know, I'm insane), a Mini, or a Champ.
    I've been at the mercy of men just following orders. Never again.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdflies View Post

Champ: Sprint is a completely unfair skill in this fight, and I wont fight a champ that does it. Other than that you can gauge the fight; against some champs I can take a bubble or 2 without blowing any CDs, against others I'll use wrath or ATO to deal with bubbles. DR is not so usefull in this fight.

In all my fights against reavers, the reaver will use charge and I will use sprint, both have their uses and are about equal skills(with trait for champ)
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d0000002c9618/signature.png]Farimur[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by OruiFarimur View Post
    In all my fights against reavers, the reaver will use charge and I will use sprint, both have their uses and are about equal skills(with trait for champ)
    I've been told to drop charge in order to have a champ drop sprint, and I've done it happily. How some people think you can compare an 8s speed buff with a 45s one is beyond me. They are nowhere close to equal skills, I'd point out the differences, but lets just say I never saw a reaver kite 4 or 5 freeps from GV to TR, and I've seen champs do it easily from Grams to Lug, thanks to this "equal skill".

Just yesterday I tried to 1v1 a champ who used sprint after I used charge. Don't think I even got him below half health. After that we both dropped our speed buff and fought again, and I killed him. 45s sprint breaks a melee fight, and gives an absolutely unfair advantage.

This is particularly true in the case of reaver vs champ because the reaver relies upon having several dots/debuffs on the champ. If you watch a fight where the champ is sprinting, you will see he runs through the reaver, turns around, runs again through the reaver, etc. In this case, they both have one moment in which they can exchange blows, and this scenario greatly favours the champ that can hit harder in single blows that require no prep, while the reavers debuffs/bleeds are all timing out. This is of course unless the champ actually has good movement, in which case he will spin around the reaver and demolish him.

Edit: I forgot to add that, on top of the fact that whoever has greater movement speed has the advantage in a melee fight, its even worse in reaver vs champ because the champ skills have higher range than the reavers. Greater speed = ability to control distnce = ability to hit reaver while avoiding getting hit. Seriously, I'd rather deal with several bubbles than a sprint.
    Last edited by Birdflies; Oct 18 2013 at 01:14 AM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020100004f382b/signature.png]Bloodbad[/charsig]

Everything and anything. Although (multiple) store items are kind of dumb.
    Beastwise - Captain, R15 | Shock and Awe | Gladden

Sooo... You managed to make another one of these threads, and are actually getting replies as well! Gg. On my champion I never use a bubble, except when it starts to get really lame. Wrath I'll just kite out with Sprint, and usually can throw in some damage still with +1,7m melee skills range. When a Spider CC locks me with Catch Prey on, then kites me through WtE, then repeats the CC lock... Yes, I will bubble. Flayer wargs kiting up to 4k morale with Sprint, yes, I'll use a 2 pip bubble. Reavers going mad with all CD's, same story. But in nearly all fights, no bubbes, as most of these situations rarely occur. 2 bubbles as a standard is pretty lame, imo, unless you're undergeared with purple stuff.

PS. Blowing everything in an unorganised 1v1, is utterly lame and hypocritic.
    Feailuve - Aeviternus - Vesanus
    Brandywine

The important thing about life is the struggle, not the triumph... Said no winner ever.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Giliodor View Post
    On my champion I never use a bubble, except when it starts to get really lame. Wrath I'll just kite out with Sprint, and usually can throw in some damage still with +1,7m melee skills range. When a Spider CC locks me with Catch Prey on, then kites me through WtE, then repeats the CC lock... Yes, I will bubble. Flayer wargs kiting up to 4k morale with Sprint, yes, I'll use a 2 pip bubble. Reavers going mad with all CD's, same story. But in nearly all fights, no bubbes, as most of these situations rarely occur. 2 bubbles as a standard is pretty lame, imo, unless you're undergeared with purple stuff.

Idk what kind of creeps you fight, but a champion that uses zero bubbles, sounds like free infamy for most creeps I know.
    [center][URL=http://s1170.photobucket.com/user/Glohir/media/99b92620-47a6-43d6-8b52-1ff43a173a35_zpsz90debot.png.html][IMG]http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r524/Glohir/99b92620-47a6-43d6-8b52-1ff43a173a35_zpsz90debot.png[/IMG][/URL][/center]

I've been told to drop charge in order to have a champ drop sprint, and I've done it happily. How some people think you can compare an 8s speed buff with a 45s one is beyond me. They are nowhere close to equal skills, I'd point out the differences, but lets just say I never saw a reaver kite 4 or 5 freeps from GV to TR, and I've seen champs do it easily from Grams to Lug, thanks to this "equal skill".

Just yesterday I tried to 1v1 a champ who used sprint after I used charge. Don't think I even got him below half health. After that we both dropped our speed buff and fought again, and I killed him. 45s sprint breaks a melee fight, and gives an absolutely unfair advantage.

This is particularly true in the case of reaver vs champ because the reaver relies upon having several dots/debuffs on the champ. If you watch a fight where the champ is sprinting, you will see he runs through the reaver, turns around, runs again through the reaver, etc. In this case, they both have one moment in which they can exchange blows, and this scenario greatly favours the champ that can hit harder in single blows that require no prep, while the reavers debuffs/bleeds are all timing out. This is of course unless the champ actually has good movement, in which case he will spin around the reaver and demolish him.

Edit: I forgot to add that, on top of the fact that whoever has greater movement speed has the advantage in a melee fight, its even worse in reaver vs champ because the champ skills have higher range than the reavers. Greater speed = ability to control distnce = ability to hit reaver while avoiding getting hit. Seriously, I'd rather deal with several bubbles than a sprint.
    Ah I see your point now, my bad. On my champ I dont have a sprint legacy just because I don't feel the need for it, so sprint in its default state with trait once per fight seems reasonable, I mean I get to stun the reaver once, and the reaver has charge with has stun immunity, so its about timing in those fights.

Quote Originally Posted by Glohir View Post
    Idk what kind of creeps you fight, but a champion that uses zero bubbles, sounds like free infamy for most creeps I know.

So true! At the bequest of creeps and for my own amusement I tried not using bubbles for a full day in the moors while solo/small group(2-4) and lets just say..it doesn't work out very well.

Honestly, it has more to do with wanting to use my skills at least sometimes, and enjoying my class. When should I use them otherwise? My CDs aren't so game-breaking that they will really make a difference in most 2v1s or 3v1s, like other classes. So that leaves me with 1v1s where I see him blow CDs? Maybe as a freep you encounter more solos, since theres generally more creeps out, but honestly I would use my skills like once or twice a day. Just lame.

Maybe as a warden you find blowing CDs just makes everything too easy, and you consider you shouldn't use it even in open-field 1v1s. Mine sometimes are barely enough to get a kill, or maybe not even that.

Theres always 1v1 circles in my server, and I participate only occasionally because I get bored of not being able to use CDs, and repeating the same fights over and over. Now I shouldn't use them even in open field fights? Sorry, but no thanks.

Good question.

I'll use anything and everything at my disposal - pots, cd's, etc, if i think it will give me a chance to win. I'm trying to get better at saving my CD's - or at least my purchased pots, if a loss is inevitable.

I think it's pretty well understood that organized duels have rules to follow. I don't do those though.
    Purely~Scrumptious

Really depends on the class you are fighting, the skill level of the player, and the assumed skills available to the other player, as well as organized vs. unorganized. In a perfect fight, both end up dead at roughly the same time, given an equal skill level and appropriate amount of self-nerfing. There is nothing to be lost from this, except for some serious heart-pounding excitement. I personally love these fights, and it's what I want to get every single time I engage.

My Warg is completely different than my Warden. Given the lack of CD's i find myself using everything other than HPS in an organized 1v1, tendon shred stun included, unless the other class is playing a very 1-sided match. Such is the case with AoS from RK's or cappy LS, those will warrant a HPS 100% of the time. Otherwise it's usually not an advantage that is needed to create a fair fight.

In open field play, everything is fair game, and although it's usually "I WIN" skills. I am rarely surprised with anything different from my opponent. Champs WILL blow 3 bubbles, dire need, and 3 bracing attacks, as well as a wealth of store pots to win solo, and it's pretty much expected, as sad as that is. Hunters don't have much to blow, and usually create a pretty fair fight. Low-mid rank Cappies can blow last stand and rarely stand a chance once I HPS, repounce. Yet giving them the whole time to DPS while invincible seems a waste. For RK's I expect AoS and will pop a fury pot to negate this, and/or HPS if it's mid-fight. LMs seem to be the worst at using unecessary skills, 3 WL and standing in SG is usually not necessary to beat a warg, especially when you can chain CC them for the entire fight and then exploit the pet /follow on HPS anyway to make sure you win.

My warden, I found DC and NS rather moot. NS was fun vs small warg packs when I wasn't healing and I felt it was fairly reasonable. DC rarely came up even when zerged due to the futility of fighting back against healed groups. Anything solo, open field, on my warden rarely required healing, and as long as I threw down my bleeds they would usually bleed out if they killed me first anyway. Running 2 bleed set bonuses and less audacity created better fights (IMO) and made for more enjoyable game play. Wardens don't have much for other CDs to pop, so I wouldn't use either in a true 1v1 and would gauge the use of self buffs, such as WoS and block buffs based on the skill of the opponent.

So I try to challenge myself by not using them, I think it leads to more enjoyable gameplay but I've come to accept their use by everyone else. I'm usually quite surprised when the opponent doesn't and will give them a short praise on OOC. CD's poppers get a bad rep, and some people will avoid them at all cost, so to reward those who fight fair, is equally important, win or lose.
    ~Anaxander R9 Warden, Baranthor R5 Hunter, Skartan R2 Guardian~ Elendilmir
    ~Karukh R10 Warg, Prisonshank R6 Reaver~ Elendilmir
    **Mac User**

I don't 1v1, but if I get into a solo open field fight, I try to refrain from using the overpowered defiler cooldowns, as indeed the untraited rez is game changing in that situation. If the other guy uses his CDs I might blow dying rage, which of course is deadly in the hands of the skilled defiler. I feel a bit guilty doing it, but rawr.
    Sniz(defiler) / Johanson(cappy)

Quote Originally Posted by Glohir View Post
    Did you note I said 1v1's?...

Quote Originally Posted by OruiFarimur View Post
    So true!
    Then I suggest you l2p out of Glory.

Honestly, it has more to do with wanting to use my skills at least sometimes, and enjoying my class. When should I use them otherwise? My CDs aren't so game-breaking that they will really make a difference in most 2v1s or 3v1s, like other classes. So that leaves me with 1v1s where I see him blow CDs? Maybe as a freep you encounter more solos, since theres generally more creeps out, but honestly I would use my skills like once or twice a day. Just lame.
    Solo creeps? Mwah. Made my day. Search for 2-3v1's if you want to use them?

Maybe as a warden you find blowing CDs just makes everything too easy, and you consider you shouldn't use it even in open-field 1v1s. Mine sometimes are barely enough to get a kill, or maybe not even that.
    I haven't played my Warden for ages. My champ I play nowadays. And why the "even in open-field 1v1s"? Why do these 1v1s differ from the rest? Is it so hard to play fair, when others are not watching? Seriously... So much hypocrisy...

Theres always 1v1 circles in my server, and I participate only occasionally because I get bored of not being able to use CDs, and repeating the same fights over and over. Now I shouldn't use them even in open field fights? Sorry, but no thanks.
    You get bored from not using CDs... That is a serious problem, my friend. I don't know what server you play on, but thank god there aren't many people such a hypocrit as you are, on my server.
    Brandywine

The important thing about life is the struggle, not the triumph... Said no winner ever.

Solo creeps? Mwah. Made my day. Search for 2-3v1's if you want to use them?
    So, you quoted the segment of my post that specifically addressed 2-3v1s, and then questioned me about 2-3v1s? That's...interesting. I play in BW, and you can ask anyone there about this, there are many solo creeps out. How about you read before you go ahead and reply with your appalled onomatopoeias. ("Mwah"? Seriously? WTH does that even mean?)

I haven't played my Warden for ages. My champ I play nowadays. And why the "even in open-field 1v1s"? Why do these 1v1s differ from the rest? Is it so hard to play fair, when others are not watching? Seriously... So much hypocrisy...
    They differ in that I haven't bowed, and that's a lot. If I bowed, I have made the implicit agreement that I believe both characters have about the same power, and that I am willing to fight the opponent without the aid of CDs/pots/NPCs. Sometimes I don't think that we are evenly matched, but I still want to see if I can kill him without the intervention of the aforementioned factors.

If I haven't bowed, I haven't stated my belief upon the equality of the characters. Therefore, I am likely to use all I can in order to defeat my opponent. Many times, I try to 1v1 someone and fail, and then make a mental note to go all out on them if I find them in the open field. I don't think this is unfair. After several encounters I might figure out exactly which skills are needed against specific players/characters.

Also to be noted: Many times the same person you were able to kill in a 1v1, will show up in the open field with all the p2w buffs, the ON buff, and more OPs. This scenario calls for a different fight than the 1v1.

Please tell me, how is my position hypocritical? I'm very intrested in watching you actually try to argument something, rather than just tossing accusations about.

You get bored from not using CDs... That is a serious problem, my friend. I don't know what server you play on, but thank god there aren't many people such a hypocrit as you are, on my server.
    I believe the use of CDs, from both sides, make for more dynamic, longer and more enjoyable fights, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this way. For example, I much rather a fight against a burg where he uses TnG, and I use wrath, maybe he will HIPS and I will ATO...all in all a more interesting fight. I have had very interesting fights against low ranked freeps that ran into friendly NPCs, for instance. This is something that doesn't happen in 1v1s, and can lead to very entertaining gameplay.

Yes, I believe NPCs/CDs/pots/terrain can make for more fun fights than 1v1s. Again, I would be very interested in hearing your reasons for thinking this is a serious problem, or how it makes me a hypocrite.

Why do these threads always turn into angry QQ?
    Meshoot, rank 9 Blackarrow, Officer of Freepaphiles Riddermark
    >:} Memento Mori {:<
    Aka Grumpis the honorable Mustelidian Pew Pew of love and cheery brightness.
    >The Mustelidian Cult is the cult, is the cult for you and me<

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpisaw View Post
    Why do these threads always turn into angry QQ?
    I like how your comment contributes to the debate, and helps steer the thread away from the "angry QQ".

Also, the "angry QQ" is still relevant to the questions posed by the OP. The childish attitude with which some posters approach the debate is beside the point.

Also, the "angry QQ" is still relevant to the questions posed by the OP. The childish attitude with which some posters approach the debate is beside the point.
    That's the point of my post...
    Meshoot, rank 9 Blackarrow, Officer of Freepaphiles Riddermark
    >:} Memento Mori {:<
    Aka Grumpis the honorable Mustelidian Pew Pew of love and cheery brightness.
    >The Mustelidian Cult is the cult, is the cult for you and me<

So, you quoted the segment of my post that specifically addressed 2-3v1s, and then questioned me about 2-3v1s? That's...interesting. I play in BW, and you can ask anyone there about this, there are many solo creeps out. How about you read before you go ahead and reply with your appalled onomatopoeias. ("Mwah"? Seriously? WTH does that even mean?)
    Mwah. Means no, not really. In fact, I won't even bother with reading the rest of your reply, because you're just... Too much hypocrisy. Bye. Glad I don't play on BW seriously.
    Brandywine

My opinion about cd's is that my opponent can use whatever he wishes. I'm not trying to force anyone to gimp themselves if they're fighting.
    Everyone plays how they desire, I may be pissed about certain aspects but heck, in the end it doesn't really matter if I win or lose. But it's always fun to think that I only lost because opponent was op! Is it not?!

So yea, everyone can play how they desire to. But depending on how you play your reputation will be affected. To good or bad.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast