We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Stone of the Tortoise modification - enables lowering level

Hello!

I have suggestion for modifying how [Stone of the Tortoise] works.
    Instead of disabling XP gain it would temporarily set your level to XX.
    Probably there would be need for set of items, each to set your level to 20, 30, 40 etc.) (or better 22, 32, 40, 50, 56, 65, 75, 85 those are instance levels, right?).

Reasoning:
    It would make sense to buy that kind of item for max level characters.
    It would be usable to go into "retro" raid once in a while instead of creating special XP-denied character.
    That way it would be more useful AND would raise sales.

Best regards to all slow XP'ers and retro lovers!
    Alister
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c000000282a6a/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I'd prefer that this kind of down-scaling effect be delivered through a new Store item and that the Stone of the Tortoise remained as it currently is. The reason is simply that I enjoy using the XP disabler the way I have been using it for the past half-year and covering pretty much all quests in the lower- and mid-level regions. Getting all those XP and then down-scaling to counter the effect just wouldn't be the same.

But I'd be totally game to have an additional item implemented for character downscaling, especially if it was equipped to a different slot than the Stone of the Tortoise and thus could be combined with the later.

Quote Originally Posted by Anyelir View Post
    But I'd be totally game to have an additional item implemented for character downscaling, especially if it was equipped to a different slot than the Stone of the Tortoise and thus could be combined with the later.

Indeed. New functionality=New item if any. No need to change existing items.
    Crell-L85-Champion - Riddermark ; Swego-L85-Burglar ; Kotvi-L95-Runekeeper
    Delego-L85 Hunter ; Stodden-L51-Captain ; Edhul-L61-Loremaster
    Deglorion - SoA XP Disabler

There are MMOs that have a similar idea it was call mentoring that was really cool basically you group with a buddy that level 30 and you where 85 you mentor your toon and it would scale down to 30 and it would scale all your gear weapons and everything.

Now that was cool

On the XP disabler the only thing I would like to see them change is make it a toggle but they just can't get there head out of the butt and make it happen it would nice to just have a nice check box in option just like the did for warsteed run speed.

But that would just be too easy
    Completeness is the only way to play! No fast track ever! Xp Disable Toggle Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Fearless.one View Post
    There are MMOs that have a similar idea it was call mentoring that was really cool basically you group with a buddy that level 30 and you where 85 you mentor your toon and it would scale down to 30 and it would scale all your gear weapons and everything.

Now that was cool

On the XP disabler the only thing I would like to see them change is make it a toggle but they just can't get there head out of the butt and make it happen it would nice to just have a nice check box in option just like the did for warsteed run speed.

But that would just be too easy
    I think you are talking about Rift, which uses the term mentoring (might be wrong). I agree that that was a great implementation and would love something like that. Rift was almost centered around that though, so scaling will work much better there than here, even though LotRO is working on scaling gear from instances, and I believe the upcoming Big Battles. Anyway, even a fraction of something as good as Rift's would be a great addition.
    Baldigar, 105 Burglar on Landroval

Quote Originally Posted by Saellim View Post
    Hello!

I have suggestion for modifying how [Stone of the Tortoise] works.
    Probably there would be need for set of items, each to set your level to 20, 30, 40 etc.) (or better 22, 32, 40, 50, 56, 65, 75, 85 those are instance levels, right?).

Reasoning:
    It would make sense to buy that kind of item for max level characters.
    It would be usable to go into "retro" raid once in a while instead of creating special XP-denied character.
    That way it would be more useful AND would raise sales.

Best regards to all slow XP'ers and retro lovers!
    Alister
    Wile they said it should be a new item I think it'd make sense to be the Stone of the tortoise... I <3 the idea and shall support you!

Quote Originally Posted by ReadStar View Post
    Wile they said it should be a new item I think it'd make sense to be the Stone of the tortoise... I <3 the idea and shall support you!
    Changing the Stone of the Tortoise would be a major no-go for me. I bought quite a number of those assuming that they would allow me to level slowly (which they currently do). I did not buy an item that would allow me to downscale. If the Stone of the Tortoise were to be changed in a way that replaced the functionality I bought it for with one I never desired, I'd expect a full refund not only of the TP I invested in XP disablers but also of the cash I used to buy TP intended to buy XP disablers with. Apart from that, I'd probably find myself another game to play because LotRO didn't offer what used to make it fun for me anymore.

Changing the functionality of an item after people have already bought it is just off. Imagine you bought a new pickup truck, paid for it up front, took it home and drove it for some weeks. You found that a pickup truck is exactly the kind of car you need and enjoy. After some weeks, the cars saleman you bought the pickup from comes to collect your pickup and gives you a sports car instead, saying that some customers had suggested replacing pickup trucks with sports cars because they thought those were more fun. Personally, you have no use for a sports car nor do you enjoy driving sports cars. So, would you just tell the cars salesman "Yeah, okay, man, take the car that I paid for and give me one instead that I do not really need or want." and be fine with that?

Adding to the functionality to make the Stone of the Tortoise allow down-scaling ON TOP of stopping XP gain, we can talk about that, but I'm absolutely opposed to having my one option to level at my own pace taken away.

Quote Originally Posted by Anyelir View Post
    Changing the Stone of the Tortoise would be a major no-go for me. I bought quite a number of those assuming that they would allow me to level slowly (which they currently do). I did not buy an item that would allow me to downscale. If the Stone of the Tortoise were to be changed in a way that replaced the functionality I bought it for with one I never desired, I'd expect a full refund not only of the TP I invested in XP disablers but also of the cash I used to buy TP intended to buy XP disablers with. Apart from that, I'd probably find myself another game to play because LotRO didn't offer what used to make it fun for me anymore.

Changing the functionality of an item after people have already bought it is just off. Imagine you bought a new pickup truck, paid for it up front, took it home and drove it for some weeks. You found that a pickup truck is exactly the kind of car you need and enjoy. After some weeks, the cars saleman you bought the pickup from comes to collect your pickup and gives you a sports car instead, saying that some customers had suggested replacing pickup trucks with sports cars because they thought those were more fun. Personally, you have no use for a sports car nor do you enjoy driving sports cars. So, would you just tell the cars salesman "Yeah, okay, man, take the car that I paid for and give me one instead that I do not really need or want." and be fine with that?

Adding to the functionality to make the Stone of the Tortoise allow down-scaling ON TOP of stopping XP gain, we can talk about that, but I'm absolutely opposed to having my one option to level at my own pace taken away.
    He never said CHANGE what it does but he said ADD the new function on to it, which is the lvl scaling idea he had said.

Quote Originally Posted by Saellim View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ReadStar View Post
    He never said CHANGE what it does but he said ADD the new function on to it, which is the lvl scaling idea he had said.
    As far as I know "instead" means "in place of" and strongly implies that what was before is being removed.

Adding to the functionality of the Stone of the Tortoise I can agree to, as long as the functionality I paid for will remain in place.

Now, any ideas on how to allow a single item to adjust a character's level to one of several possible choices? Right-click the item to pull up a menu offering the various levels you can down-scale to? Would something like that be technically possible and reasonably simple to use for the players?
    And how to handle the case of a player wanting to down-scale while still gaining XP? Could some kind of toggle be added to the XP gain modifier?