We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

New Player Need Help

Hi all,
    I am new player here and I like this game very much. My first character is hunter. I have two simple question:

1. What is better to buy mithril edition and quad pack or VIP and then quad pack?

2. I need to choose profession and guild. What is best for hunter? I would like to make money from it as well as boost my damage. I heard cooking an jewelry is best choices.

Thank you for your answers.
    Last edited by Spiritman77; Oct 16 2013 at 04:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritman77 View Post
    Hi all,
    I am new player here and I like this game very much. My first character is hunter. I have two simple question:

1. What is better to buy mithril edition and quad pack or VIP and then quad pack?

2. I need to choose profession and guild. What is best for hunter? I would like to make money from it as well as boost my damage. I heard cooking an jewelry is best choices.

Thank you for your answers.
    Welcome

I have no idea about your first question but I'm sure someone else will help.

Generally an explorer/gatherer type profession is good for your first character. Then you can gather for later characters as you go and you'll get lot's of money from AHfor raw products. A TIP! don't underprice low level items, they are often the most needed by higher characters who have lots of money relative to you. Exploit their laziness and wealth.

Your hunter can use leather armour, jewellery and food. But cooking is very expensive-you have to buy a lot of stuff,.

So based on that I'd suggest explorer, yeoman or tinker (and become a guilded jeweller and not worry about your cook for a while).

There is an excellent crafting sub forum here. The experts and guides can be found there for further crafting help.

Happy and safe travels.

And the minstrel sang to them……”and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness.”

pffff, tough one, mithril to get to lvl 50 (more or less) then you will need the quad pack to get to 85.... but the perks of being vip (wift travel, traits unlocked, free mount trait etc) are really nice too, but the game can be played without it, so i guess mithril and then the quad pack.
    Flixxer - Hunter - Imladris - 100 R7 ---- Danielleth - Minstrel - Imladris - 22
    Zaireth - Rune-keeper - Imladris - 73 -- Ariannasophia - Warden - Imladris - 14
    Flixxer - Champion - Eldar - 54

The choice between Mithril Edition and VIP depends a bit on the number of characters you want to level and the amount of time you are going to invest.
    You can manage to get one character into Moria within the month of VIP (which gives you access to all the Regions before Moria). You unlock really important features as well. (Trait Slots, Gold Cap removal, swift travel...) .
    So if you only want to play you're first character (at least for a while) I'd recommend VIP. If you want to get more characters, actually buying the content and not only renting it might be the better way. Though getting one month of VIP is really helpful and you get a lot of bonusses for your character that would otherwise cost a lot of TP.

The Mithril Edition gives you access to the Trollshaws and Eregion (and Lothlorien after Moria). These Regions alone can bring you to level 50, but it is going to require quite a lot of farming, as the Trollshaws do not have a lot of quests. But you could buy other Regions with the TP included in the Mithril Edition.

Cheers,
    Urveth

I'd go for VIP and Quad pack. Trait slots is supper important imo, unless you only want to roleplay. Free riding skill is another bonus. Creat as many characters as you can during your subs time to unlock trait slots. If you go VIP go 3 months to get the discount bonus, you can have enough TP after that to buy 2 most importance zone to cover your leveling later: evendim and eregion. With these 2 zone + quad pack expansion and Helm's Deep (I heard you'll get quad-pack discount if you buy it with Helm's Deep) you have all zone cover from level 1-95.

My suggestion is, if you have played a bit , and decided you like the game for a long time ahead, then preorder Helms deep (any edition) allops one to buy Quad pack for 50% off on checkout. could take advantage on that.
    Thank you, Turbine, for listening and giving us an opt-out of FE! Good work!

Others have pretty much covered all the bases on your first question, so i'll skip that.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritman77 View Post
    I need to choose profession and guild. What is best for hunter? I would like to make money from it as well as boost my damage. I heard cooking an jewelry is best choices.
    Any profession will work with any class, so ultimately it's just a matter of personal preference.

Weapon and armour professions are devalued from around lv60 onwards, by which point most people will be using bartered armour sets and legendary items, rather than crafting gear (Crafted weapons do remain viable for off-hand weapon however). So if you're looking to make loads of money, these probably aren't the options for you.

Similarly, cooking tends to involve a large amount of effort, but the value of the items isn't very much. Although everyone will use food. So again, It's not likely to make you much in the long run.

Jeweller works well, because jewellery remains desirable throughout the game. Yes, ultimately at level cap there will be options which may be "better" or "preferable" earned through bartering, loot, or other methods. But guild jewellery tends to be people's first stop for gearing out their character, and thus these items can be sold for decent values for relatively minimal effort. As a Tinker professional, you will also be able to collect your own ores via Prospecting. Which you can then use for your jewelery requirements, and sell any excess ores (Ores tend to sell at relatively high prices, particularly for lower tier ores).

Your main concern, if you want to be completely self-sufficient with crafting, would be to have all the crafting professions (and guild membership) covered by multiple characters.
    [SIZE=3][b]Leader of [COLOR="#FFD700"]The Rangers of Eriador[/COLOR], Snowbourn[/b][/SIZE]
    [color=#00BF00]Brya, Balthelion, Fyore, Iarngard, Madic, Eoradain, Trystana, Pendalas, Kharmul, Arkunir, Holibrand, Tifridh, Freawyn, Adlanniel, Tiraniel, Lilija, Theda[/color]
    [URL="http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0szyANQhriMn42fCDdke1EMAOcdzmr9v"]Let's Play LOTRO (YouTube Series)[/URL] ~ [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?461498-The-Rangers-of-Eriador"]Kin Info/Recruitment[/URL]

For crafting, explorer and scholar is the best for your hunter. Explorer, because its alway a good vocation for new players. Not too hard to progress and more material to sell for money. But best vocation for a hunter imo is scholar. You'll need lots of focus pots, bowchant and oils. Scholar also have weaponsmith profession so you can craft 1 of your legendary weapon. However, scholar is harder to progress than explorer and lesser profit from selling things.

If you are planing a few more characters, historian is considered the "standard" profession for hunters (and the scholars guild if possible). If you only have one character, explorer likely works best regardless of class (and you can often change easily enough after a few levels.

As far as paying real money for LOTRO, I found this thread invaluable to understanding how to pay for LOTRO (update) [note, I do not necessarily agree with all of that, especially buying the traveler pack and buying Sam's pack instead of VIP for a month.]

VIP for a month and mithril are the best two deals in LOTRO, and I would expect to pay for both of them (eventually). Note that if you don't need the TP or the Trollshaws before November 29 (Black Friday in the US), I would probably wait to see what is on sale then. The mithril edition has been known to go on sale for $10 (only twice this year, though) and it might be worth waiting for.

When you want/need each item:

VIP. You will want it after (or possibly during) Bree and moreso during the Lonelands (the horse, fast travel, and traits beckon). It really makes sense to take the plunge after the Lonelands to vist Evendim and anything else you need to get to level ~45 or so (after which the packs in the Mithril Edition seem to cover most things).

Note that you really don't benefit from Mithril much before level 45 or so. There aren't that many (non-epic storyline) quests in the Trollshaws, and what they have will require other questing/skirmishes between levels. It does include Eregion, which seems helpful in getting to Moria.

The Quad pack: In general you need to be a bit over level 45 (I'm not, so I'm going by fora wisdom) to even start the first expansion pack. If you are also buying the Mithril edition, it includes Moria (the pack, not the expansion), so expect to not need any of the expansions till around level 60 or so (and probably higher, but other players can give you a better idea).

The flip side of the quad pack is that it includes the warden and rune-keeper classes, as well as two more character slots (part of the Moria expansion). If you intend to use these characters, you will want these characters to exist (and you MUST log into them) while VIP is active: this enables all the perks that last after VIP is gone. If you can pay a few dollars more, the boxed Moria gets around this pretty well: it includes one month of VIP as well as the Moria pack (and the classes and character slots).

And no, it isn't so easy to come up with a plan (if it looks that way you are likely missing something). They need *some* reason for people to go VIP for more than a month, don't they?

Some great advice there, well done.
    &lo=01010131111e1&t1=Thuiralas&t2=Hunter%20-%20Elf&l=85&u=http://thecircleofeight.shivtr.com&k=The%20Circle%20of%20Eight&s=Laurelin