We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I'm confused about subscriptions...

I have a question for the long time players of LOTRO. Did access to quests before Mines of Moria get removed from your account after LOTRO went F2P? I know mine did. I have been playing LOTRO for over five years and had purchased Lord of the Rings Online and Mines of Moria before the game shifted to the Free to Play model. These included all quest content up to Moria. I paid full retail price for LOTRO. Now Turbine is saying that I have to purchase the quest packs for the area's that were included when I first purchased the game. So let me get this right Turbine, I paid over $50.00 for LOTRO and now you are saying that you want me to pay another $60.00 for access to quests that I had purchased previously! How many other players have been effected by this change? Please sound off and let your voice be heard!

Thanks for listening to my rant. Now on to your previous program..

Shy
    Last edited by Sapience; Oct 21 2013 at 01:17 PM.

Unless you paid for a life-time membership, what you paid for was either a download or a disc that allowed you to install the game on your computer plus some amount of VIP time. The latter ran out and like everybody else you now have the options of either buying some more VIP time or the questpacks themselves (an option which was not even available before F2P).

Quote Originally Posted by Anyelir View Post
    Unless you paid for a life-time membership, what you paid for was either a download or a disc that allowed you to install the game on your computer plus some amount of VIP time. The latter ran out and like everybody else you now have the options of either buying some more VIP time or the questpacks themselves (an option which was not even available before F2P).
    So what you are saying is that I paid for a game that turbine is now giving away with any compensation? Wow, really? You joined LOTRO after it went F2P and didn't pay for the game. I was asking for responces from long time players that paid for the game.

Just because he joined after F2P launched doesn't mean he is wrong. When you purchased the game, you were allowed to install the game, then play for a predetermined period of time. Once that time ran out, you needed to pay the monthly subscription fee. Now that the game is F2P, you don't need to pay for the game to install it. However, you are limited in what quests you can do unless you either buy the quest packs or subscribe. If you are VIP and drop your subscription, you also lose access to all quest packs that you did not individually purchase. It has always been that way, but now, if you don't pay per month you can still play the game, but you lose access to quests. Join date doesn't matter in this instance (or any really), pay attention to what was said in the reply. PS, don't be rude to people, it has a way of biting you in the rear.
    "Dwelling on the past only ensures that you will fall in the future."
    I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

[url=http://www.siglaunch.com/sigs/index.php][img]http://www.siglaunch.com/sigs/wsiga.php/5703758eAcvg.png[/img][/url]

Very simple. When you bought the original game, you bought an installation disk, 30 days of game time, and the right to create a paying account which would allow you to have continued access. If you stopped paying your subscription, you lost all access, i.e. you had nothing until you started paying again. You never "bought" SoA, you rented it.

When the game went F2P, if you stopped paying you retained access to a subset of the SoA zones, together with any expansions you had purchased. If you continued to pay your subscription post SoA, you retained access to all the SoA zones.

If you joined after F2P, you had access to that subset of SoA zones.

Clearly, in the F2P model, players had to have acccess to some content to get them hooked. In addition there need to be inctentive to persuade people to subscribe. You can easily earn enough TPs in game to purchase the other SoA zones if you chose not to subscribe.
    TANSTAAFL

The Prancing Pony, usually I'm drunk in a corner
    Turbine did not steal from you.

The game time you purchased only lasted for a certain amount of time, and when that time was up, you lost the benefits.

Pretty much exactly what everyone else said, hehe.

Glorgnorbor
    Happy Halloween!
    Did everyone get a bugged signature? My BB code doesn't work anymore

Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy

Quote Originally Posted by Shylay View Post
    So what you are saying is that I paid for a game that turbine is now giving away with any compensation? Wow, really? You joined LOTRO after it went F2P and didn't pay for the game. I was asking for responces from long time players that paid for the game.
    I'm confused, people who purchased SOA get the quest pack regions included in the original game don't they? I believe it is the same for Moria isn't it? So what you are missing without subscribing as a VIP is Forochel, and all of the expansions after Moria (Mirkwood, Rise of Isengard, and Riders of Rohan, along with the additional areas like Great River), right? Everyone else had to pay for those areas and expansions when they were released, why shouldn't you? If you think the price is too high, wait for a discount. Also, if you pre-purchase the Helm's Deep expansion you can buy all of the prior expansions for an additional $20!

If you are missing what you paid for maybe you should call Turbine, but this isn't a console game, and you don't own any of it.

The OP is stating what anyone who bought the original game (which included the quest content) AND had a subscription (couldn't play it without a sub) is feeling ripped off after LOTRO went F2P. Those of us, myself included, paid for the full version of the base game which is now a free download. That purchase included the original quest content, hence why we paid $40 to $60 for it. Subsequent to that purchase, one would purchase MoM to continue playing and pay additional sub fees for that service. The OP is simply stating that what was originally purchased has not been changed so that s/he has to purchase the same quest content again. I can agree with the OP's frustration, I was fortunate enough to purchase a lifetime sub back when they were available so I have all content...they do not yet paid for the same content as myself.

And Ernuvorn's statement that his description is the way its always been is completely false. As someone who has played since shortly after launch, I can assure you that the content you purchase was what you played. It didn't just suddenly stop.

Additionally, rudeness didn't seem evident to me only frustration for a business arrangement modified without the purchaser consent.
    Slan,
    Pel the Pie-Maker
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d0000000e06cf/01008/signature.png]Pelinor[/charsig]

Anyelir is correct.
    Also, "Join Date June 2011" might mean a player has played much longer, but migrated to Turbine when the codemasters servers shut down on that date.

Quote Originally Posted by Mabhen View Post
    The OP is stating what anyone who bought the original game (which included the quest content) AND had a subscription (couldn't play it without a sub) is feeling ripped off after LOTRO went F2P. Those of us, myself included, paid for the full version of the base game which is now a free download. That purchase included the original quest content, hence why we paid $40 to $60 for it. Subsequent to that purchase, one would purchase MoM to continue playing and pay additional sub fees for that service. The OP is simply stating that what was originally purchased has not been changed so that s/he has to purchase the same quest content again. I can agree with the OP's frustration, I was fortunate enough to purchase a lifetime sub back when they were available so I have all content...they do not yet paid for the same content as myself.

And Ernuvorn's statement that his description is the way its always been is completely false. As someone who has played since shortly after launch, I can assure you that the content you purchase was what you played. It didn't just suddenly stop.

Additionally, rudeness didn't seem evident to me only frustration for a business arrangement modified without the purchaser consent.
    Did you pay for lifetime? Otherwise, that content was meant to disappear.

Glorgnorbor
    Happy Halloween!

Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy

to Robbie1435: Yes, I paid for the base game and all expansions and as a lifetime subscriber I have access to all content (quests, skirms, whatnot).

to Rufkin: If you have purchased the expansions then you have access to the quests within those expansions. However, it appears as though if you purchased SoA when the game was subscription based you are SOL for the quest content that was part of that original purchase.
    Slan,
    Pel the Pie-Maker
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d0000000e06cf/01008/signature.png]Pelinor[/charsig]

to Robbie1435: Yes, I paid for the base game and all expansions and as a lifetime subscriber I have access to all content (quests, skirms, whatnot).
    Then you have access to all QUEST PACKS. Expansions are not included in the VIP bonuses(Including life time).

Glorgnorbor
    Happy Halloween!

I have a question for the long time players of LOTRO. Did access to quests before Mines of Moria get removed from your account after LOTRO went F2P? I know mine did. I have been playing LOTRO for over five years and had purchased Lord of the Rings Online and Mines of Moria before the game shifted to the Free to Play model. These included all quest content up to Moria. I paid full retail price for LOTRO. Now Turbine is saying that I have to purchase the quest packs for the area's that were included when I first purchased the game.
    No, Turbine is not. From the perspective of a purchaser of the original game nothing has changed except a new payment option has been added. You can pay the subscription fee (exactly like before F2P) and have access to all those quests. OR, you pay a fee and buy them piecemeal, but then you have access to them forever.

Your choice, and since when is choice a bad thing?

Lightbulb

OK, you paid $60 for the game but *also* ~$15/mo for the subscription. When LotRO went F2P the subscription was dropped in favor of people buying the zones as needed.

Yes, the SoA portion is now a free download but that not much different than a XBox or PS3 game going into the bargain bin after a year on the shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by robbie1435 View Post
    Then you have access to all QUEST PACKS. Expansions are not included in the VIP bonuses(Including life time).

Glorgnorbor
    Happy Halloween!
    Duh!! Instead of just quoting someone, try reading it first.

The OP has a valid complaint, s/he's simply venting frustration over a change in business model that has left them in a position to re-purchase content previously paid for BEFORE the game went F2P. Is it so hard to understand where they are coming from? I realize the business model has changed and only quest content through Lonelands is available in SoA unless you purchase the quest packs....now. The OP is just stating that they feel jilted as a former subscriber.
    Slan,
    Pel the Pie-Maker

Duh!! Instead of just quoting someone, try reading it first.

The OP has a valid complaint, s/he's simply venting frustration over a change in business model that has left them in a position to re-purchase content previously paid for BEFORE the game went F2P. Is it so hard to understand where they are coming from? I realize the business model has changed and only quest content through Lonelands is available in SoA unless you purchase the quest packs....now. The OP is just stating that they feel jilted as a former subscriber.
    I understand the OP, and I have read the thread multiple times.

I'm sure I would be frustrated as well, but some business decisions require sacrifice.

If you are not a present subscriber, you won't have access.

If your game time expired, then you need to purchase it again.

It has always been like that, as far as I know.

Glorgnorbor
    Happy Halloween!

Quote Originally Posted by Rufkin View Post
    I'm confused, people who purchased SOA get the quest pack regions included in the original game don't they? I believe it is the same for Moria isn't it? So what you are missing without subscribing as a VIP is Forochel, and all of the expansions after Moria (Mirkwood, Rise of Isengard, and Riders of Rohan, along with the additional areas like Great River), right? Everyone else had to pay for those areas and expansions when they were released, why shouldn't you? If you think the price is too high, wait for a discount. Also, if you pre-purchase the Helm's Deep expansion you can buy all of the prior expansions for an additional $20!

If you are missing what you paid for maybe you should call Turbine, but this isn't a console game, and you don't own any of it.
    No, he lost ALL areas before Moria, not just Forochel (with the exception of the starter areas + Lone Lands). So the OP did not buy North Downs, Trollshaws, Evendim, Forochel, Angmar, Misties, or Eregion. Or any later content. Before F2P, everyone was VIP. Which meant that everyone was paying for a recurring subscription. If they let their sub drop, they lost all access. The same principle applies now. Unless they specifically purchased content (ie: xpacs, quest packs, etc) then they will lose access if they drop VIP. The OP did not purchase the game. They purchased some discs to install (and any other goodies that came with the discs) and some free VIP time. After that they had to pay for the recurring subscription, the same as they are being expected to do now.

So OP, no, Turbine didn't steal, you didn't buy the game, you lost access because you cancelled your sub.

The only thing that was outside the VIP that required purchase was the code/discs. Now that part of the game is available as a free download. But it is worth noting that players can STILL pay for the code/discs. For example, the Mithril Edition. The ME comes with other perks (such as specific content). Back in the day, it was just the access to the game itself.
    R5 100 GRD Marevayave - Leader of Riddermarked For Death
    R8 100 MNS Fayah/100 LM Siennah/100 HNT Dinenol/100 RK Dhurik
    100 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/60 BUR Dhax/35 WDN Godoric
    R9 100 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ Landroval

It's not really a valid complaint, though. The OP simply isn't thinking the situation through properly, and neither, apparently, are you.

You joined LOTRO after it went F2P and didn't pay for the game. I was asking for responces from long time players that paid for the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooby View Post
    "Join Date June 2011" might mean a player has played much longer, but migrated to Turbine when the codemasters servers shut down on that date.
    I'm a German, used to play on a CodeMasters server, migrated in 2011 and actually own all the content (apart from a few instances I wouldn't use anyway). Since most of those purchases were made using cash (either directly or transformed into TP) I think I meet your criteria.

You might want to be a bit more careful with assumptions based on somebody's join date, especially if that join date is "June 2011".

Apart from that, nobody who answered to the OP made the decision of what was retained after F2P was introduced, but why would Turbine give away what would basically amount to a free life-time subscription? And to their whole playerbase at that time, no less?

Quote Originally Posted by Nilatir View Post
    OK, you paid $60 for the game but *also* ~$15/mo for the subscription. When LotRO went F2P the subscription was dropped in favor of people buying the zones as needed.

Yes, the SoA portion is now a free download but that not much different than a XBox or PS3 game going into the bargain bin after a year on the shelf.
    Thank you for a rational explaination. It still bothers me that Turbine is requiring me to spend additional monies on top of what I have already paid. I left the game when it went to a F2P model because of fear to what would happen to the game and it's players. When I came back to SOA, I was impressed that the base game did not seem to change that much. After playing for about a week as F2P, I renewed a year subscription. It was easy to overlook the fact that I no longer had access to quests in area's that I had already completed with my higher level characters. I didn't not realize that my yearly subscription ran out until I was leveling a new character and took them to North Downs. To the flame war that has taken over the post, I was not rude to anyone that has posted to this thread. If you took offense to my comment about someones "Join date," get over it. I am done with this post as I was looking for rational discussion and once again have been disappointed.

Thank you for a rational explaination. It still bothers me that Turbine is requiring me to spend additional monies on top of what I have already paid. I left the game when it went to a F2P model because of fear to what would happen to the game and it's players. When I came back to SOA, I was impressed that the base game did not seem to change that much. After playing for about a week as F2P, I renewed a year subscription. It was easy to overlook the fact that I no longer had access to quests in area's that I had already completed with my higher level characters. I didn't not realize that my yearly subscription ran out until I was leveling a new character and took them to North Downs. To the flame war that has taken over the post, I was not rude to anyone that has posted to this thread. If you took offense to my comment about someones "Join date," get over it. I am done with this post as I was looking for rational discussion and once again have been disappointed.
    Hahaha, hilarious. SO passive-aggressive, Shylay. A pretty common conversational gambit on these boards, I grant you.

Sorry, you must be having some memory lost. If you really played Lotro before F2P then you must remember the 9,99 you paid EVERY month, which btw was peanuts compared to other monthly subscriptions of that era (SWG 14$ per month).

You still need to pay to play this game, hence the name P2P (Pay to Play), because if you dont play then you don't pay. You can go on vacations, you can go play another game, you can go into a coma and you wont owe turbine nothing, and they still will have an excellent developed game just for the time you want to play it, of course, for 9,99 monthly fee. The rest of the time you get a F2P experience, that is complete access to every expansion pack you own, deeds unlocked, and everything you have unlocked through TP or Lotro store.

This game Wasn't, isn't and wont be free. If you want free game go play Tibia (www.tibia.com) and get a free reality check with their graphics.
    Last edited by darthlogan; Oct 19 2013 at 03:06 PM.

When I joined the game, I bought the SoA + Moria version for around $60. That gave me full access to Moria plus 30 days of subscription time. Nowhere have I actually paid for anything pre-Moria.

So, to answer your question, no Turbine is not stealing from you. Your account is acting exactly as mine does whenever I drop my subscription. I get to keep full access to everything beyond SoA because I paid for those expansions just like everyone else. But, I do not get to keep full access to anything pre-Moria because I did not actually pay anything for it.

I think your frustration is simply over a misunderstanding concerning what you actually bought.
    Dagranhad - Burglar | Aldgarea - Loremaster | Barathrothir - Hunter | Golladhar - Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Rufkin View Post
    I'm confused, people who purchased SOA get the quest pack regions included in the original game don't they?
    What we got was:

1) A key that allowed us to create an account.
    2) Some physical materials such as the game discs.
    3) 30 days of game time

At the end of 30 days, we had nothing. This concept is a sweet deal for online gaming companies. They take your 50 dollars or so. You get 30 days rental access. You wanted another day of access, you had to put 10 - 15 dollars in the meter for another 30 days. Your first year cost could be $50 + (11 months x 15 dollars) = 215 dollars. You could cut that 100 dollars a year if you managed to latch to the 365 days for 100 dollar deal.

Turbine sold a permanent access option which was buy the Shadows of Angmar box + 300 dollars for a lifetime access.

We had two choices 50 dollars + monthly fees. Or a 350 dollar deal to BUY the content.

You actual cost might vary some based on discounts or poor memory on exactly how much Shadows of Angmar cost in 2007.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

I am done with this post as I was looking for rational discussion and once again have been disappointed.
    ...and you start with Turbine stole from me. Genius.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast