We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: ntdll.dll?

ntdll.dll?

Does anyone know if this crash has been fixed yet? I get this crash on three of my very differently configured PC's. Is it me, or is the client not releasing memory when we move from transition to transition?
    This only happens in Rohan, but it is very frustrating.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000000a1057/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by zzbusch2 View Post
    Does anyone know if this crash has been fixed yet? I get this crash on three of my very differently configured PC's. Is it me, or is the client not releasing memory when we move from transition to transition?
    This only happens in Rohan, but it is very frustrating.
    Thread: Workaround for Client Crash to Desktop in 32-bit Windows
    Chromite (Hunter) - Grumbletocks (Guardian) on Landroval, Appendage (Hunter) on Brandywine

do people even use 32bit windows anymore?

A lot of people use 32-bits OS (cf charts in various sites)
    And known workarounds are not a good solution...

Quote Originally Posted by Castorix View Post
    A lot of people use 32-bits OS (cf charts in various sites)
    And known workarounds are not a good solution...
    They are not a good solution but it's a solution to at least let them have a bit of playtime between crashes.

The better solution would be for Turbine to fix the problems, but that won't happen.

A better workaround is to just install a 64-bit Windows (Preferably Windows 7...) but that costs money and some people don't have that option. If they DO have a 32 bit version of Windows 7 then it's free to upgrade that to 64 bit. I post how in my thread that I linked.
    Chromite (Hunter) - Grumbletocks (Guardian) on Landroval, Appendage (Hunter) on Brandywine

One might think that a 32Bit application should be able to run on a 32Bit platform ...

Thx Chromite.
    All that does is freeze my system solid, forcing a hard reboot. Played for 15 minutes, had three hard freezes. The only solution I can think of is, do not open any extra game windows. Character, inventory, travel, etc. This seems to keep the crashes to a minimum. I'm starting to think the Chrome browser add on that was added by the software is bleeding our memory. That and transitions seem to trigger crashes anywhere in Rohan.
    Last edited by zzbusch2; Jan 27 2013 at 09:14 AM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000000a1057/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

yea i have been getting that ntdll.dll error now for a couple of months,,3-4 crashes a day to desktop,very annoying,only started getting it in Lotro as soon as Rohan came out and i started playing again.
    I am not going to mess with my boxes,its on there end not ours they just need to man up and fix this annoying issue
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000010d9c8/01002/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I have solved my "ntdll.dll" errors on both my home server, Gladden, and the test server, Bullroarer. I am posting this here to help everyone else with the same Lotroclient error.

I am running Windows XP 32-bit on an Asus P6T Deluxe motherboard that has an Analog Devices SoundMaxx audio chip on it. SoundMaxx is the keyword here!

I found three things that caused Lotroclient to fail with the "ntdll.dll" error. These are the issues I found and the order in which I repaired them.

1. The nvidia drivers for my evga 285 GTX were not up to date so I fixed that. The SoundMaxx drivers on the Asus website were up to date except for the "BETA" version (BETA in red letters) so I left those alone ... big mistake!
    Got fewer "ntdll.dll" errors but the problem was still there.

2. Checked for Unknown System Devices in Device Manager and found three CT***.sys files left over from a Soundblaster card install I had done way back when. After checking their Properties, I used Device Manager to Disable and Uninstall all three CT***.sys drivers ... never, ever buy a Creative Labs sound card; the hardware and software quality has gone to hell in a handbasket ever since the Vista drivers release and their tech support has become non-existent.
    Got even fewer "ntdll.dll" errors but the problem was still there; especially on Bullroarer!

3. Went back to the Asus website to get the BETA SoundMaxx driver (BETA in red letters for "use at your own risk") dated back to 2010. Why something stayed in BETA state for three years is beyond me. Must be something Asus ... as in we can't admit we made a mistake but we can publish a BETA driver to fix it ... effing idiots!
    Downloaded and installed the BETA SoundMaxx drivers. Cringed while I did it because I dislike using BETA system drivers as they have been known to introduce more unwanted, rather than fix, problems.
    Lotroclient failure problems with "ntdll.dll" errors went away. Played for two plus hours on Gladden and another hour on Bullroarer without one "ntdll.dll" error. I used a character on Bullroarer that I could not move ten meters or zone or fight for 10 minutes without getting an "ntdll.dll" error. No errors there either.

My point is the Tech Support guys are right when they tell you that the "ntdll.dll" errors are being caused by some Superb Hierarchically Integrated Technology program inside the software running the game on your computer. It's too bad we don't have a list of these solutions on the forums anywhere; a moderated list by motherboard solution would have made my life a lot easier.

Hope this helps ...

I second the SoundBlaster comment on later versions of Windows, particularly if you bought an old card, cheap. No Win 8 support for those at all. If you are on a 64 bit version, then you can get by. If not (my 64 bit install drive died and I have had to use my backup 32 bit one pending getting a new drive and putting the backup image on it), you have to tough out the 32 bit system issues. Not all 0xC000017 errors are true 'out of memory' errors. They are also 'unable to allocate the requested block due to heap conflict' issues.

Instrumenting my system shows no leaks, but does show heap fragmentation. When your private bytes and commit charge get high enough, HeapAlloc() fails with the STATUS_OUT_OF_MEMORY code, even though there often is enough paging file/system ram available but fragmentation prevents the allocation. Driver conflicts compound that.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.