We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    To People defending paying more for less.

Quote Originally Posted by monteeburns View Post
    When an expansion costs as much as many full blown games ( which have the associated costs of engines licensed / developed from scratch / initial advertising ), whilst delivering far less, something is off. Every game developer is in the same boat, and the price has to be compared against what others are offering for similar value, and it doesn't stack up.

Quote Originally Posted by rotoiti View Post
    Just this past weekend, I have tossed a physical copy of collector's edition of Warhammer Online. A game I played for 2 months and came back to LotRO. It was really nicely done but not useful. Physical copies, while nice to look at the first time you get them, are mostly adding to a home clutter a few years later. That's why I enjoy all electronic content.

That being said, $60 for the all electronic version is a bit steep.
    I would say 'give me your stuff' but I guess that is too old as well.

To the OP - I am with you 100%. I have mountains of physical stuff in my study and love it all.
    The Balrog lives!! Oh, and give MECCG a try.

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000002be0/01008/signature.png]Eladrath[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Yulin-Gladden View Post
    Obviously my opinion only, but I welcome the world where we don't have to deal with physical anything for games anymore. I too have some of the collectible sets from other games which sit on a shelf somewhere, costing me valuable storage space that could be used for other items, never to be touched. Lost a couple of games years ago due to misplaced CDs or scratched ones, meaning if I wanted to pay for it I paid twice.

And I'd point to the other posters above saying that yes, if LOTRO shuts down, the items you have go poof. But the memories of the fun I'm hoping you had enjoying those virtual items won't go.
    Yulin-Gladden, I agree with you that the memories, and all the people I played with online who helped make them, are the best part. That said I am a huge collector of many middle-earth themed cards, figurines, Legos, and books, and treasure them as well. So I'm not knocking people who like a nice bookshelf collection, I do too.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurin View Post
    Economics 101

The price of a good in a free economy is based on the consumer's willingness to pay that price. It has very little to do with the cost of actually producing the good to be sold.

If it's too expensive, many potential customers won't pay. So the merchant loses money he would otherwise have earned by selling more at a lower price.

If it's too cheap, customers will gladly pay and more people will buy it, but the merchant selling the good won't make as much as if they sold it for more (even to fewer people).

The ideal price is the one where customers pay it while not feeling too abused, and the amount of money earned by the merchant is maximized because the price was neither too high (driving away customers) nor too low (more customers, but price is so low that profits suffered).

The cost of producing, marketing, and distributing an item only comes into play when those costs become prohibitive. If they're too high, the merchant won't sell the item. As such, they set a price "floor". . . but other than that have very little bearing on the price charged to the consumer in a free economy.

To be blunt: A merchant is under no moral or legal obligation to always sell you what you want at some arbitrary percentage over their production costs. They have paid their money to make this item available to you. What they paid is their business. What you're willing to pay for it is yours.

Which is why I always shake my head at the moral indignation people express when they find out how much their $500 phone actually costs to produce (etc.). It really should have no bearing unless you want to live in a command economy where somehow people would create computer games and iPhones just because they're good people who want you to have neato things.

Hurin, this is imo one of the most truthful statements I've ever read on these forums or the internet. Brilliant analysis, even more so because it's short and to the point.

Finally, and off topic, I'm so glad I don't have to copy and paste my incipient forums posts like I used too, forums are working like any normal forums, YAY!
    other favorite middle-earth games: The One Ring RPG by Cubicle 7; LotR: The Card Game by FFG; Hobbit/LotR Strategy Battle Game by GW

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4