We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Am I the only one not seeing an official post about it on these forums!? Yes, launcher is nice, there's also on twitter! but not on official game forums... um...
    [size=1][b].:. Some or other .:.[/b][/size]
    [right][size=1][b][url=http://thelastalliance.guildportal.com/]The Last Alliance[/url][/b] | [i]Snowbourn[/i][/size][/right]

Seems a little odd that they have Mac OS X 10.6.8 as a choice when LotRO won't even start up on that OS. They said "tell us a little bit about the PC you use to play LOTRO" after all, not the PC you wish you could play it on.

Asking about "Physical CPUs (Cores)" is also rather confusing, as those are not the same thing. I have 2 CPUs with 2 cores each. Do they want me to say 2 or 4?

Quote Originally Posted by Formengil View Post
    Asking about "Physical CPUs (Cores)" is also rather confusing, as those are not the same thing. I have 2 CPUs with 2 cores each. Do they want me to say 2 or 4?
    Pretty sure they mean cores, as from a software perspective there is almost no difference. But you should not include "virtual" SMT cores (aka Hyperthreading) as those can have very different performance behavior.
    But yeah, you can see that this survey wasn't made by an expert in system configurations
    Used to play: 85 Champ / Captain / Runekeeper / Guardian, Guild Master of everything but cooking.
    Playing now: Hellcat / King Tiger / GW Panther / IS / KV-5 / M4 Sherman and more

Quote Originally Posted by Grimdi View Post
    Pretty sure they mean cores, as from a software perspective there is almost no difference.
    With optimized code, there is a difference.
    In Win32, you can assign threads to CPU/cores
    (for example, one of the AMD docs : http://developer.amd.com/wordpress/m...or_N_cores.pdf)

I'm not sure I follow the need for this survey... the launcher should have already provided Turbine with accurate system specs. As much as I loathe company data mining... an MMO client is the one place that actually makes sense and is generally accepted to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Castorix View Post
    With optimized code, there is a difference.
    That's why I said "almost" (just to be sure, I'm talking multi-cpu vs. multi-core)
    Anyway, even in high-end gaming systems you rarely see multiple CPUs anymore since multi-core CPUs appeared, so for consumer applications cores are the only thing to worry about really. The number of people using MP Xeons or Opterons should be below 0.1% I guess.
    Used to play: 85 Champ / Captain / Runekeeper / Guardian, Guild Master of everything but cooking.
    Playing now: Hellcat / King Tiger / GW Panther / IS / KV-5 / M4 Sherman and more

I'm worried now about Turbine, that survey was disgraceful, and makes me very, very worried about the servers at Turbine... Sure, they cover up to a respectable 12gb of ram (except the rather common 8gb setup), but then they die, they drop many of the more recent video cards, cap out the video ram, ignore SLI/Crossfire setups, top out HDD space at 1TB (I have this in digital pictures alone), ignore SSD in the same list... Its like they have no idea what a higher end rig may even look like... Wonder if their servers are only running 512mb of ram too, could explain the choppiness of mounted combat at RoR launch... :P

Quote Originally Posted by noillirt View Post
    I tried, but after taking the time to look up accurate responses, I couldn't submit the survey because it had timed out. Why does an anonymous survey need a time out?
    Any page with code that executes on the server will eventually time out unless they do something to keep it alive. Considering the 20-30 minute default on a time-out, and a 5 question survey, the need for a keep alive was probably dismissed.

I completed it, but put 9GB instead of the 8GB I have and I put my GPU as a GTX 780 instead of GTX 780M (laptop)....probably doesn't make any difference.

Hope it helps them.

I would have liked to see Linux as an OS.

I know quite a number of people that run Lotro under Wine on Linux..

Quote Originally Posted by Rainothon View Post
    There is an easy fix to ensure a survey covers all possible answers: add 'other' fields and enable folks to enter their own answer there.

But - there's always a but - the caveat is that all answers in that 'other' field will be impossible to easily mine for relevant statistic data.

This is how you end up with a survey like this. While it may look incomplete to you, it covers more than enough the ranges Turbine is interested in. Simply enter 'other' if you fall outside the range, or the most similar answer if you fall somewhere in between.

In other words: Turbine doesn't need to know you have a nVidia GTX780. It's beyond their relevant specs.
    The problem is, "other" does not tell them if you have something above what they require, or something old, outdated, and underpowered, but still able to run the game (like my laptop's Intel 945G chipset). Without some way to define what other means, it is a useless option.

Similarly with graphics memory. I had to dig a bit to find the information (224MB), only to see that the options go from 128MB to 256MB. That part is especially strange, it would be trivial, and *much* more useful, for them to have made that a simple entry field where you input the actual number (same with system memory and hard drive space).

Also very useful would have been questions on your graphics settings and resulting framerate.

Of course, as elsewhere observed, everything they could possibly want to know about my system can easily be mined using the launcher and client, so one really does wonder about the purpose of this pitiful survey.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoRob View Post
    The problem is, "other" does not tell them if you have something above what they require, or something old, outdated, and underpowered, but still able to run the game (like my laptop's Intel 945G chipset). Without some way to define what other means, it is a useless option.

Similarly with graphics memory. I had to dig a bit to find the information (224MB), only to see that the options go from 128MB to 256MB. That part is especially strange, it would be trivial, and *much* more useful, for them to have made that a simple entry field where you input the actual number (same with system memory and hard drive space).

Also very useful would have been questions on your graphics settings and resulting framerate.

Of course, as elsewhere observed, everything they could possibly want to know about my system can easily be mined using the launcher and client, so one really does wonder about the purpose of this pitiful survey.
    Having entry fields that are freeform text entry can be abused. Yes, the survey didn't have matches for every item in my rig; but I use the closest to it. For what Turbine wants, I think that's good enough to help them.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

Quote Originally Posted by enginekid88 View Post
    It only took me two minutes, no writing just select quick from pulldown menus. Don't be lazy, do the survey
    I would but it doesn't have most of my specs listed.

Quote Originally Posted by enginekid88 View Post
    I think this is important and everyone should do it because it will help Turbine develop the best game possible.
    I don't see how this information would help them to be honest and I'm never quite comfortable giving out any unnecessary information, but again, I went to do it but it wasn't worth it because I couldn't accurately fill it out.

I agree with a lot of the posts here. The survey was shabby and written by a tech from 3 years ago. The Graphics card list was not alphabetical either.

Comments about their servers though are probably off the mark. Most likely the back end is Unix/Linux based which can run on much lower resource levels.
    Last edited by wonkeysmoker1; Oct 15 2013 at 04:15 PM.

Now I understand why my war steeds are always so laggy! 8GB of RAM is an unsupported configuration!

EDIT: I snapped one of my 2GB SIMMs in half to put me at 7GB and the steeds run smooth as butter now!!!
    I7-6700k, Gigabyte Gaming 5 motherboard, MSI GamingX GTX 1070, Samsung 850 EVO SSD (500 GB), 3200 DD4 16 GB Ram, 1920x1200 28 inch monitor, Win 10

Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx3d View Post
    Hm weird that it's only in the english launcher news, wouldn't have known if you didn't post it here.

@kingrufus, not sure what you mean, if you have the old pylotro with broken news, you can also directly browse them:
    https://www.lotro.com/en/launcher-feed.xml

But yes I kinda hoped for a linux option in the OS selection...who knows, maybe such surveys will at least have some "Steam OS" option in the near future
    Not weird. The survey is only available in English and the majority of players play in english. So it didn't make sense to put a link to an english survey in other languages. We don't need every last player to answer it, just a very large cross section. We polled the Beta players a little while ago and we were curious to see if there was any significant difference between beta players and the general player base in terms of hardware used.

Linux is not on the list as it is not supported and there are absolutely no plans to do so.

a) There's been no commentary on Turbine regarding the Bounder's Bounty Event in ... weeks and weeks. I have no plans to go to extra efforts to communicate when it's apparently not a real 2-way street.

b) Giving out personal information is something I rarely do. I'd have to have a good reason up front before I'd be likely to do it.

c) As described by others there are apparently a lot of gaps in the survey. If they want to know stuff, the survey should be well written. However, the person who figured out that:

(quote) daneyul: Now I understand why my war steeds are always so laggy! 8GB of RAM is an unsupported configuration. EDIT: I snapped one of my 2GB SIMMs in half to put me at 7GB and the steeds run smooth as butter now!!! (endquote)

is pretty smart. Maybe turbine can learn something from comments like this and make 8GB of RAM a supported configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    Not weird. The survey is only available in English and the majority of players play in english. So it didn't make sense to put a link to an english survey in other languages. We don't need every last player to answer it, just a very large cross section. We polled the Beta players a little while ago and we were curious to see if there was any significant difference between beta players and the general player base in terms of hardware used.

Linux is not on the list as it is not supported and there are absolutely no plans to do so.
    Any idea why the RAM option is missing a 8 gig option? It goes from 7 to 9. I picked 7 thought my machine has 8.

So does that mean there are plans to support OS X 10.6.8?

Quote Originally Posted by Winnower View Post
    b) Giving out personal information is something I rarely do. I'd have to have a good reason up front before I'd be likely to do it.
    Are we doing the same survey? I wasn't asked for any personal information.

Not weird. The survey is only available in English and the majority of players play in english.
    True, not everyone is like me, I don't even pay attention to language anymore...
    But you still could've aked german and french players if they want to take part in this survey in english language, since rather rudimentary english is enough to understand it. While we're spoiled, we're not THAT easily offended

Yea that much was obvious, but you know, hope dies last
    While still very few games are available natively on Linux, at least some companies actually are interested if their games run adequately on Linux via wine.
    PyLotRO with Python 3.x support and bugfixes: [url]https://github.com/Lynx3d/pylotro[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen1981 View Post
    wait why anyone play this game with 512 MB lol
    I play with 424. And why? Because I like the game? Dumb question.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2