We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

New returning player....returning :P

Hey all o/

Played LotrO way back when the game launched and left it after a year. Now the time has come for me to yet again pick up the mantle (from myself, where I left it, years ago, casually flung aside :P ) and give Sauron a good whatfor! (Actually I started a few days ago ) Anyhoos, I've got a thug load of questions so brace yerself.

LI's: Can I use these without having any xpacs? I've read somewhere MoM is needed for unlocking the use of LI's? Also, would anyone be so kind as to link me a 'easy-to-understand-guide' on the subject? I've been looking around for an starters guide to LI's, but haven't really found any (the ones that I have found came of as quite a mouthful to be honest and would much appreciate some basic insight on the topic.) I'm level 47 now and reckon it's time to get to Eregion and try get my first one there. That much I've managed to gather from the forums. \o/

Xpacs: Do I need these at all? (The old ones, MoM, Isen, etc.) I imagine I in any event would need RoR + HD. Is it possible to 'circumvent' any/all of the xpacs, are they needed for anything purely leveling wise? Would I miss out on endgame gear etc. if I chose not to buy any of them? Just out of curiosity I ask really, as I'll probably get all of them when I get home from work. (I realize HD is needed for endgame when it launches, question is; do I need any of the other xpacs at all?)

Burglar: Been looking for an up to date burglar guide. Traits, for both PvE and PvP, gear to get, skill rotations, that sorta stuff. Might just be me being really weak at scavenging the forums, but I've had no luck with this either. So a link to useful burglar sites would also be much appreciated.

Sorry for coming across as an old nub who just want to be spoonfed, but I'm quite excited about getting back in to the game and any help that can speed up my being back on par is most welcome.

Actually I think that's all the questions I've got. For now anyways. Thanks in advance, and see you in game if your from Brandywine. o/

Cheers

Thuggee.

Quote Originally Posted by Thuggee View Post
    Hey all o/

Played LotrO way back when the game launched and left it after a year. Now the time has come for me to yet again pick up the mantle (from myself, where I left it, years ago, casually flung aside :P ) and give Sauron a good whatfor! (Actually I started a few days ago ) Anyhoos, I've got a thug load of questions so brace yerself.

LI's: Can I use these without having any xpacs? I've read somewhere MoM is needed for unlocking the use of LI's? Also, would anyone be so kind as to link me a 'easy-to-understand-guide' on the subject? I've been looking around for an starters guide to LI's, but haven't really found any (the ones that I have found came of as quite a mouthful to be honest and would much appreciate some basic insight on the topic.) I'm level 47 now and reckon it's time to get to Eregion and try get my first one there. That much I've managed to gather from the forums. \o/

Xpacs: Do I need these at all? (The old ones, MoM, Isen, etc.) I imagine I in any event would need RoR + HD. Is it possible to 'circumvent' any/all of the xpacs, are they needed for anything purely leveling wise? Would I miss out on endgame gear etc. if I chose not to buy any of them? Just out of curiosity I ask really, as I'll probably get all of them when I get home from work. (I realize HD is needed for endgame when it launches, question is; do I need any of the other xpacs at all?)

Burglar: Been looking for an up to date burglar guide. Traits, for both PvE and PvP, gear to get, skill rotations, that sorta stuff. Might just be me being really weak at scavenging the forums, but I've had no luck with this either. So a link to useful burglar sites would also be much appreciated.

Sorry for coming across as an old nub who just want to be spoonfed, but I'm quite excited about getting back in to the game and any help that can speed up my being back on par is most welcome.

Actually I think that's all the questions I've got. For now anyways. Thanks in advance, and see you in game if your from Brandywine. o/

Cheers

Thuggee.

You earn first LI by doing epic quest Volume II prologue. And it starts in Rivendell from Elrond. Then you can forget about Moria and proceed elsewhere, but you will miss it. Its hard to skip as a free player. Mirkwood is only one i could say its easily skippable. Problem is, you will miss quests in these expansions and the exp associated with them.

About classes, we will get significiant rewamp of all classes in HD. Thing is in closed beta currently, so read dev diaries and wait for open beta to see and learn new changes. If you havent learned the class now, no big need learn it for a month only to relearn it afterwards. If you still want to, there is a class subforum, where stuff like you asked for is discussed in great details, with links to guides and all. Just that it all will be obsolete in a month.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c000000163bef/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Thank you, Turbine, for listening and giving us an opt-out of FE! Good work!

Quote Originally Posted by Thuggee View Post
    LI's: Can I use these without having any xpacs? I've read somewhere MoM is needed for unlocking the use of LI's?
    Yes, you get access to them from the Epic quest line (Volume 2, Book 1). And, the Epic quest (at least prior to HD) is free to all.
    Also, would anyone be so kind as to link me a 'easy-to-understand-guide' on the subject?
    http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Legendary_Items
    I've been looking around for an starters guide to LI's, but haven't really found any (the ones that I have found came of as quite a mouthful to be honest and would much appreciate some basic insight on the topic.) I'm level 47 now and reckon it's time to get to Eregion and try get my first one there. That much I've managed to gather from the forums. \o/
    Personally, I do the quest line at 45. Each quest there is easily soloable, except for the one about killing the named Half-Orc. I skip that one.
    It depends on how you define "need".

Expansions; Moria is 50-60. Mirkwood is 60-65. Isengard is 65-75. Riders is 75-85.
    Non-Expansions; Lothlorien is 60. Enedwaith is 60-65. Great River is 70-75. Wildermore is currently 85, though I suppose it will be come 80-85 when HD comes out.

So, the expansions will get you smooth sailing leveling wise. But, there will be gaps if you try to circumvent them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatter_of_Bree View Post
    You earn first LI by doing epic quest Volume II prologue. And it starts in Rivendell from Elrond. Then you can forget about Moria and proceed elsewhere, but you will miss it. Its hard to skip as a free player. Mirkwood is only one i could say its easily skippable. Problem is, you will miss quests in these expansions and the exp associated with them.

About classes, we will get significiant rewamp of all classes in HD. Thing is in closed beta currently, so read dev diaries and wait for open beta to see and learn new changes. If you havent learned the class now, no big need learn it for a month only to relearn it afterwards. If you still want to, there is a class subforum, where stuff like you asked for is discussed in great details, with links to guides and all. Just that it all will be obsolete in a month.
    Cheers for the quick response!

I'm gonna get the xpacs, think there's a bundle on sale. Wouldn't wanna miss out on knocking around down in Moria to be honest.

Those dev. diaries don't say much to be fair. At least I can't deduct anything remotely useful from 'em. Maybe the more seasoned players can, though I've a hard time seeing how any can pry anything from them.

I'll be off to get my first LI in an hour or so then, weeee! \o/

Quote Originally Posted by HaleElven View Post
    Yes, you get access to them from the Epic quest line (Volume 2, Book 1). And, the Epic quest (at least prior to HD) is free to all.

http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Legendary_Items

Expansions; Moria is 50-60. Mirkwood is 60-65. Isengard is 65-75. Riders is 75-85.
    Non-Expansions; Lothlorien is 60. Enedwaith is 60-65. Great River is 70-75. Wildermore is currently 85, though I suppose it will be come 80-85 when HD comes out.

So, the expansions will get you smooth sailing leveling wise. But, there will be gaps if you try to circumvent them.
    Cheers to you as well for the fast response! Much appreciated, especially the LI link.

Here's another question; If I chose to skip the xpacs and just face the boredom of grinding my levels out by other means, would I miss out on raid content that would be needed for end game gear?

Nope, you can skip anything, and only need the latest expansion/QP to get top gear.

What You will miss, is the fact, you cant do deeds in areas you have no quest access. Current maximum of virtues is 16, and its uspposed to get another level or two with Helm's Deep. Luckily there is a wa more deeds to get virtues, that there is cap for virtues, so you can easily earn 20 VALOR (just an example) while max is 16. But if you dont have QP/Expansions, you can earn only 5-6 from free regions.

If you really go into raiding and number counting for top gear then yes, you will need buy almost all expansions/QP for your virtues.

PS. About class changes - we all are in same boat. The change is coming, and once Turbine drops NDA, the betatesters will tell what we will all get. Until lift of NDA, no info other that dev.diaries is official, only rumours.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c000000163bef/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Thank you, Turbine, for listening and giving us an opt-out of FE! Good work!