We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Update 11.5 - didn't help load times much

Didn't fix my load times at all - still 3.15 minutes to load my lvl 85 character from clicking his name to enter as previous.

Just thought you'd like to know.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000001d017c/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Did help for me, only takes ~35s for my main character now. Used to take at least twice as long.
    I do have an SSD though, loading from HDD was a looooot slower.

What they fixed is "only" the client more or less freezing those ~40-60s (on my aging system at least) it took to load the skirmish stats, which frequently caused my client to loose connection so I had to restart the client and try again.
    It's too early to say if that problem is gone, but I'm confident it is.

They probably didn't do anything to make the loading process more HDD friendly...
    PyLotRO with Python 3.x support and bugfixes: [url]https://github.com/Lynx3d/pylotro[/url]

Have not see, atleast not yet, those long freezes, when the loading process seems to stop since 11.5.

took about 2:20 to load a char on my oldest laptop. not tried gaming rigs yet. But looks good.

I have had time where the connection times out. That is something that never happened before 11.5. So, I go from maybe 1:45 ~ 2 Min load time to much longer and a sometimes time out.

I play several other MMOs and none of them take any where near as long to load as LotRO. The recent server maintenance fixed nothing. I suggest Turbine look into maybe hiring a competent DBA.
    The emperor has no clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by Budderfur View Post
    I play several other MMOs and none of them take any where near as long to load as LotRO. The recent server maintenance fixed nothing. I suggest Turbine look into maybe hiring a competent DBA.
    it seems that for some ppl the fix worked. My oldest comps now loads faster than my fastest used to. So the situation is better on a "global scale".

I have no numbers before the 11.5 but these are my login times after the patch went live:

Fresh login:
    Char A 2:05 min (main)
    Char B 1:07 min

Fresh login:
    Char B 1:37 min

It is still long, especially after a fresh login, but seems to be ~ 50% faster then before, I guess...

Edit: HDD, E8400, HD5770, Vista x64 4GB and lot of skirmish data!
    Last edited by Schinderhannes; Oct 16 2013 at 01:15 PM.
    Suggestions: Tasks [URL="http://goo.gl/rt4M5"]en[/URL]|[URL="http://goo.gl/BBbhC"]de[/URL]

I checked it out yesterday on my only character that has done any skirmishes at all.

I didn't notice much difference in load time, but I've done so few skirmished calculating the stats probably shouldn't have affected me much. I didn't think to check to see the system locked up at any time during loading, though.

However, once in the world, I noticed my system completely froze for several seconds (maybe 10-15). It has *NEVER* done this before. It also did not do this on the other seven characters which have not set foot in a skirmish. It seems they just shifted the problem from "during loading" to "after loading". Not an improvement in my mind.

(Note to the programmers: "In the background" *DOES NOT* mean "use 100% of the system resources". It means sneak CPU cycles when they are available and won't be noticed.)

I'm still in favour of not even touching the skirmish stats until they are actively accessed by the player. They don't work on any of the vault data or completed quest data until it is accessed (resulting in a system freeze of variable length sometimes exceeding a couple minutes), so what's one more item in that list?

I also wonder how many people are even aware of this panel. I wasn't. I was curious, so I checked it out. I had to search several different panels before I found it (in the system menu).

As far as I know, skirmish data includes also the data from all scaled Instances.
    Suggestions: Tasks [URL="http://goo.gl/rt4M5"]en[/URL]|[URL="http://goo.gl/BBbhC"]de[/URL]

My main, which has done nearly everything (deeds, instances etc.):
    Before update: about 1 minute 15 seconds.
    After update: about 25-30 seconds.

Creep, Black Arrow:
    Before was about 15 seconds.
    After is about 15 seconds.

840 pro 256 gb SSD.

Delete any unused files on your hard drive to free up space, and defrag it, that may help with load times.
    Hard drives tend to slow down when they get to 75% full (give or take), especially if they are fragmented.
    [LEFT]
    [/LEFT]

The update hasn't stopped me getting a Quit button pop up after 5 mins frequently. This is for a main lvl 85 char with many months played time.

The only way I can get a quick load after starting the client is to log a low level char first, log it out then log the main. It's a 100% fix for me, maybe 99%. It will cost you 595 TP to create one if you don't have the slots spare.

But it does beg the question that there is some overhead to loading that isn't character specific as some portion is done loading the lowbie that doesn't then slow the main's load because it's already done.

Really think it would be better to identify more than just the skirmish data load and track down what it being done on a "first load" of a new client. Or tell me why loading a low level character prior to a capped character avoids a "Quit" button!

No I don't have a SSD or gazillions of RAM. But I don't think I should have to upgrade purely because my character has done more stuff in game than another. I've always blamed completed Deeds for the long loads just because of the tendency of completionists to take longer than most of us. I get the idea that someone came across the problem whilst in the code, maybe there needs to be more investigation.

Mac