We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Use Standard Sound device

Ususally it's a great thing if a game lets you chose the sound device which you want to use for playing sounds, but not in my case.

I usually play Lotro on head phones with a voice client.
    But sometimes I also want to use the speakers.

Sadly the drivers of the Asus Phoebus ROG Solo are a complete mess, if offers separated sound devices for heaphone and speakers and crashes the sound cards driver (computer restart is necessary) when both devices are used at the same time.
    Scenario:
    1)
    Lotro is set to headphones
    System is set to use speakers as default.
    Start Lotro => crash

2)
    Lotro is set to headphones
    System is set to headphones
    Start Lotro
    Switch to Speakers
    Alt+Tab to Windows (to switch the system to speakers)
    => crash

Is there a way to let Lotro use the system/standard sound device all the time? Or at least chose the sound card at game start according to the system setting?

WBS is offline Weatherstock Wayfarer
    Destroyer of Worlds
    This is too specifically a hardware/driver issue to get effective help on these forums I'm afraid; unless someone has specific experience of the Asus Phoebus ROG Solo and the issue in question.

I would suggest trying the Asus forums and see if you can get help there.
    How to get help on the Tech Forums and how to contact Turbine

Please reply to the topic or PM me if a solution I posted works for you: The more data I can gather the better I can help.

Yea sounds like a very specific problem.
    I don't think you can force an application to switch sound device from the outside, I'd even argue that the whole point of multiple audio devices is to give the individual applications the control over which output to use.

So I'm afraid you have to complain at Asus that their driver doesn't work properly.

You know, the main reason I retired my sound blaster were driver problems too, it's just not worth the extra audio quality/features if your system hangs ever so often. The onboard audio #### at least works.
    PyLotRO with Python 3.x support and bugfixes: [url]https://github.com/Lynx3d/pylotro[/url]

Oh, I am not complaining. I was just explaining the problem that I had to avoid further questions.

All I wanted to know if there a (undocumented) way to always get the "standard" sound card. After all it's possible to switch from OpenAL to DirectSound and that's not documented as well.

I did check on the Asus forums of already of course, I would not look for such a workaround if I found the solution there (I have this problem only with Lotro, all other games I play alone and use the speakers).

Edit: Now that I think of it, I'll try to write a batch that deletes the selected soundcard from Lotro's userconfig. Let's see what the game will use then.

Quote Originally Posted by Neumi View Post
    Oh, I am not complaining.
    No, but maybe you should, so Asus will fix the actual problem

Quote Originally Posted by Neumi View Post
    All I wanted to know if there a (undocumented) way to always get the "standard" sound card. After all it's possible to switch from OpenAL to DirectSound and that's not documented as well.

I did check on the Asus forums of already of course, I would not look for such a workaround if I found the solution there (I have this problem only with Lotro, all other games I play alone and use the speakers).

Edit: Now that I think of it, I'll try to write a batch that deletes the selected soundcard from Lotro's userconfig. Let's see what the game will use then.
    Hm I thought you also need to be able to switch devices while the game is running. I'm afraid you can't synchronize switching with other applications or system sound.
    You can of course set the audio device in UserPreferences.ini, but this file is only read once when you start the client.
    I don't know if there's a "use default device" setting at least.
    PyLotRO with Python 3.x support and bugfixes: [url]https://github.com/Lynx3d/pylotro[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx3d View Post
    No, but maybe you should, so Asus will fix the actual problem
    That I did People are complaining for months now. Hopefully this or next months something will happen, but somehow I doubt it. The drivers are a total mess, even if the hardware is state of the art.

Switching sound ingame would be the best option of course, but I would be happy already if I didn't have to check if my system settings are set to headphones before starting the game.

What works in order to achieve the 2nd goal is to delete the SoundOption setting from the userconfig.ini
    Then (and if the set card does not exist) lotro imports the system settings, but sadly just once.

I hated my Recon3D for the constant sound channel switching but this is somthing it definitly did better. I even had a switch on the front panel to switch between headphones and speakers.
    The best card so far was my X-Fi2, R.I.P.