We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Hybrid View

Water Wheels of Nala-Dum WOW whats going on with this ?

Ok something is seriously wrong with the scale of the quest. It says 60 level Small fellowship,, Ya right! On most times my wife and I can do small fellowship quest as a duet when we are a few level over the quest. We got into this instance buffed up Food scrolls the normal buff up before a tough quest. We lasted about 1 min and we where so dead its mot funny this felt like all of a full fellowship and then some. I never seen anything like this. My wife and I have been playing 2 years and this quest made me feel like a 100% newbie.

There must be something wrong with the scaling My wife is a 63 level hunter and I was on my 63 level champ and this was the worst party wipe we ever had both dead in under 30 sec.

I got to say this game makes no sense sometimes ! 99% of the content is so easy it puts u to sleep They really need to fix this. I know running a small fellowship as a duet should be a bit tough but so far its always been do-able.
    Last edited by Fearless.one; Oct 14 2013 at 10:38 AM.
    Completeness is the only way to play! No fast track ever! Xp Disable Toggle Supporter

Water Wheels

To be successful, you really need 3 because almost from the start you have to get a gate to open to get further inside. It requires one person to turn the wheels/levers while the other 2 go to the gate and pass through when it opens, they kill a few mobs while you wait, they operate a lever to extend a platform that you cross to join your fellowship members and proceed to Caeryg unless you are doing Challenge Mode which requires you to kill mobs in the Western or Southern room as well as the main boss, Caeryg. There is a technique to defeating him as well......It's a bit more complex than that since there are several wheels and levers to operate to open rooms and passageways, so you need to learn them. There are deeds in there too, so you would have to go back in more than once to complete those, which would allow you to learn the operating order.

Not everything in LoTRO is easy peasy, it's very unlikely that you would be able to duo Moria Instances for example. Wiping a few times is all part of the learning experience, so my advice is bite the bullet and get a third....a healer. Good luck and if you think that one is hard try Lumul-nar! ARGH!.

http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/The_...C3%A2-d%C3%BBm
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c000000241fb6/signature.png]Galaetea[/charsig]

"There will be no Dawn for Men" ~ Saruman the White

It's not a landscape quest, it's a three-person instance. It's set for level 60 trio, so 180 total levels, you bring 126, as if it's a level 42 level instance.

My friends and I, two very casual players, all older, cruised through all but the final boss in our high fifties. We nailed the boss on a subsequent attempt, and cruising through the trash we were now familiar with was cake.

Just because you are over level does not mean you have all the resources a complete group has. Who was tanking? Who was healing?

Mirror-halls is a similar deal, which I remember coming beforehand but not sure. Although it has harder fights than Water-wheels.

I'm glad you had food and scrolls to buff up, props to you all for being prepared, don't forget potions! (I forget if it's wounds or poison or what in that one, it's obviously fear in Mirror-halls, but you need a complete set regardless.)

Now grab a third. You'll still want the scrolls/food to help out. Now consider that as a champ, even in the tank stance, you take more damage than a guard/warden would, requiring the healer to waste more effort and be more desperate/risk wiping. Consider going DPS with a tank and healer instead.

A hunter would definitely need a tank and a healer to go with. Split up, complete the groups, and have fun! :-) If you are totally adverse to grouping with others, then be sure your champ tank gear is up to snuff, and you are on top of your rotations for keeping MOBs off anyone else (practice), and get a phenomenal mini or RK of higher level to join you too.

It's actually one of the few instances that is scaled perfect, not needing you to be lower level than it to not be bored.

PS: The solo versions are boring cakewalks, if you'd rather avoid the fun, always an option too. It's too late now for ya'll, but they aren't scaled properly, I'd recommend doing them around level 58 for most, 55 for those on their second characters/more experienced.
    Link to our community LOTRO store google spreadsheet pricelist and conversion rates, please contribute too!: https://goo.gl/wxPqCm

Interesting ... whh and I have duoed it three times, Hunter/LM, Hunter/Minstrel, and Hunter/Minstrel. He's also soloed it six or seven times ... mind you, with level 85 characters. I've stood behind his chair and watched him. You do not need another person to open doors; you just need to know where everything is and which to do next. At this point he knows where everything is, and when my next character gets ready to do the Water-wheels, he'll tell me where to go.

The hell-quest is the one before, the Mirror-halls. Interfering Morvul, we hatessss them....
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

Well I never got to any part that needed more players and I was died in like 30 sec's *lol* I could not believe how hard those little lizards hit. After we wiped I did some reading I see now that you would Need more players for all the levers and stuff. I just would think we should have be able to kill the first few lizards with out dying instantly, I mean my chap is very well geared and i have all the best food pots and scrolls that you can be sure.

Its cool if this how its supposed to be that fine with me I was just shocked how hard it is. I got used to the quest now days being so nerfed that I can do them with one hand tied Behind my back. I will just have to read up on the tactics and do this a bit later if we can't find a 3rd to do it with.

Like I said I am just not used to seeing to many tough quest in this game anymore. I guess its a good thing there still a few tough quest left at all.

Thanks all for the info!
    Completeness is the only way to play! No fast track ever! Xp Disable Toggle Supporter

Small Fellowship = 3. Two is not a small fellowship. Full fellowship is 6. Five is not a fellowship. Raid = 12. Eleven is not a raid.

I must admit I tried Lumul-nar to other day as a Duo. Guardian and Champion, both level 63 and we wiped at the first Boss. To much incoming damage to survive without heals.

I wouldn't say it was broken, with three people in a balanced fellowship it would propably have been fine.

Heaven help an on level group without the holy trinity of DPS-Heals-Tank.

Personally it's nice to have some instances that still has some challenge left in them, but with so many broken ones (I'm looking at you Dargnákh Unleashed), it would be nice to know it was working as intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Fearless.one View Post
    Ok something is seriously wrong with the scale of the quest. It says 60 level Small fellowship,, Ya right! On most times my wife and I can do small fellowship quest as a duet when we are a few level over the quest. We got into this instance ... There must be something wrong with the scaling ...
    Is a 3 man instance with a riddle, not a quest. It have puzzles that requires 3 person to solve it, there is no way you can complete the challenge with 2 persons on level. It is not broken, is possible to do it on level. In fact that instance don't have 1 single bug.

~ Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth ~

There are two things to consider with this instance:

1) Lizards cast pretty nasty Deadly Acid (http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Deadly_Acid) on you. So bring Milkthistle Potions with you
    2) Rock-Worms will hit you with a Shattered Armour skill (http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Shattered_Armour) which will reduce your armour HUGELY

Try not to aggro rock-worms and lizards together. Shattered Armour + Deadly Acid can do pretty solid damage combined

And when you reach to final boss, be warned, this thing hits HARD! :P

I soloed level 60 instance with my level 70 guardian and it was still quite challenging.

Quote Originally Posted by Marxlne View Post
    ...I soloed level 60 instance with my level 70 guardian and it was still quite challenging.
    You can solo level 60 3-man instances when you are level 70 but not Nala-dum. You will not be able to solve the puzzle to reach the boss.

~ Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth ~

Which puzzle are you referring to ? There was only one tricky part where i had to pull the handle which opened a closing door nearby. There i had to use my Charge skill (+50% run speed) to get past the door before it closes. After that there was no tricky parts to get to the boss.
    And i'm not speaking about challenge. Yes, challenge mode isn't doable alone.

Quote Originally Posted by YamydeAragon View Post
    You can solo level 60 3-man instances when you are level 70 but not Nala-dum. You will not be able to solve the puzzle to reach the boss.
    Last edited by Marxlne; Oct 29 2013 at 09:38 AM.

This instance was created at a time when no-one expected to be able to walk into a 3-player space close to its level, with 2 dps classes and no heals, and expect to get past the first pull, let alone the whole instance.
    [CENTER]Tarmas Elf Champion R13 | Tarmeg Elf Guardian R6 | Tarmil 95 Elf Warden | Tarmun Elf Hunter R6 | Tarmot Elf Minstrel R6 | Tarmyr Elf Loremaster R6
    Strawn Reaver R6 | Strawz Warg R6 | Strawk Blackarrow R6 | Strawx Warleader R6 | Strawb Defiler R6 | Strawt Weaver R6[/CENTER]