We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Parents please

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    missouri
    Posts
    2,469

    Parents please

    Monitor your children while they are playing LOTRO.

    I was doing a quick stop at Bree to sell some drops and craft out some components when I heard the faint FE. Looked over to see some one on the ground. Ok, on with my business while watching the person that cast the FE run around in circles and jumping up and down on the person on the ground. Big eye role, back to sorting and checking recipes. The person finally got up, ran around a bit then sent me cold kinship invite, which I declined. Then the person came over and started doing area of effect attacks on me, shook my head and back to checking to see if I had everything for the recipes I wanted to do. The attacks had no effect so now the even less effective FEs started. Still rummaging in my bags and making a list of what I needed to do get from my vault. Realizing the FEs weren't having any effect the person jumped on their horse road it over the top of me and parked there. I just poped back to my house to pick up the materials I needed to do the recipes. Then after waiting for my time out to end, back to Bree to do the crafting. Yup, there he was harassing yet another target.

    So parents please remember to monitor your children, these juvenile antics are quite aggravating.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,677
    And as annoying as that sort of nonsense is, there's absolutely no guarantee that it was actually a minor behaving that way. Some "adults" are what Raph Koster used to call "virtual sociopaths"... people who act out online because they cannot do so in real life (where there would be real-life consequences).

    All that can really be done is to /report them, or else just move to a different location.

    Khafar

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Califonia
    Posts
    521
    Sorry to hear you ran into someone like that. A sad truth that I learned from playing WoW for 8 years was that many of the most juvenile and immature people you find in online games are not actually children - many are supposedly grown men in their 20's and 30's. The ones that try to grief, the ones that name their characters offensive or drug related names - I have often been surprised to find that such people are "adults". In my experience real children are generally polite, if a bit pushy when asking for help - they don't seem to have a good understanding of "not now" etc. .
    Anyway, don't let em get you down ! How big can we make our ignore lists BTW?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    30
    I agree with the above posts... I don't believe children will start playing in masses until the new expansion comes out. My 8 and 5 yo are so excited to be finally able to play an mmo. With the removal of skills, no new raids, amazing dps from auto attack, my little ones are ready to go. My 8 yo is already talking about his 4 skill rotation, had to settle him down a bit and tell him that there might not be 4 worthwhile skills to hit... Oh well see you all in middle earth for dummies

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    your mind
    Posts
    3,880
    I have to agree, childrens' attention spans aren't usually that tenacious. They also would rather have fun than pursue negative ego strokes. That sounds like adult behavior.

    But there are a lot of kids playing now, with parents and whatnot. I've heard of a five year old with a nearly 30th level, I know an 11 who stopped when legendaries came into it, another who prefers cosmetics over gameplay, etc.
    Link to our community LOTRO store google spreadsheet pricelist and conversion rates, please contribute too!: https://goo.gl/wxPqCm

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Califonia
    Posts
    521
    Quote Originally Posted by RJFerret View Post
    I have to agree, childrens' attention spans aren't usually that tenacious. They also would rather have fun than pursue negative ego strokes. That sounds like adult behavior.

    But there are a lot of kids playing now, with parents and whatnot. I've heard of a five year old with a nearly 30th level, I know an 11 who stopped when legendaries came into it, another who prefers cosmetics over gameplay, etc.
    Cool! real kids are seldom much bother - it's the grown up kids who are. Nice to know there's some young'uns enjoying the game with family.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,496
    Sounds like a sad adult looking for attention. The kids I've seen in this game have been pretty decent in my experience. My son has played LOTRO from time to time since he was 11, and he always had me looking over his shoulder teaching him internet safety and etiquette. Most of the parents I've met here do the same with their kids.

  8. #8
    Monitor your man-children while they are playing LOTRO.

    There, fixed it.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by cwiese3908 View Post
    I agree with the above posts... I don't believe children will start playing in masses until the new expansion comes out. My 8 and 5 yo are so excited to be finally able to play an mmo. With the removal of skills, no new raids, amazing dps from auto attack, my little ones are ready to go. My 8 yo is already talking about his 4 skill rotation, had to settle him down a bit and tell him that there might not be 4 worthwhile skills to hit... Oh well see you all in middle earth for dummies
    LOL

    Well when LOTRO finally comes out on consoles you can sit them in front of the TV so you can do some serious gaming in peace on the PC.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Gallifrey. I need a Jelly Baby.
    Posts
    18,063
    Sorry, not gonna watch my kid. She's working full time and in college.


    I'm just pulling your leg, I totally get what you mean.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    [I][FONT=comic sans ms][COLOR=#ffff00]Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check[/COLOR][/FONT][/I]

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    921
    Quote Originally Posted by manstan View Post
    Monitor your children while they are playing LOTRO.

    I was doing a quick stop at Bree to sell some drops and craft out some components when I heard the faint FE. Looked over to see some one on the ground. Ok, on with my business while watching the person that cast the FE run around in circles and jumping up and down on the person on the ground. Big eye role, back to sorting and checking recipes. The person finally got up, ran around a bit then sent me cold kinship invite, which I declined. Then the person came over and started doing area of effect attacks on me, shook my head and back to checking to see if I had everything for the recipes I wanted to do. The attacks had no effect so now the even less effective FEs started. Still rummaging in my bags and making a list of what I needed to do get from my vault. Realizing the FEs weren't having any effect the person jumped on their horse road it over the top of me and parked there. I just poped back to my house to pick up the materials I needed to do the recipes. Then after waiting for my time out to end, back to Bree to do the crafting. Yup, there he was harassing yet another target.

    So parents please remember to monitor your children, these juvenile antics are quite aggravating.
    I really wish all those people were really children (well in age not only in mind):P
    Nothing here matters.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Middle Earth, Arda
    Posts
    3,978
    Quote Originally Posted by manstan View Post
    Monitor your children while they are playing LOTRO... these juvenile antics are quite aggravating.

    If i see those stamps on a game i don't give that game to a children.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    1,044
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoraine View Post
    Sorry to hear you ran into someone like that. A sad truth that I learned from playing WoW for 8 years was that many of the most juvenile and immature people you find in online games are not actually children - many are supposedly grown men in their 20's and 30's. The ones that try to grief, the ones that name their characters offensive or drug related names - I have often been surprised to find that such people are "adults". In my experience real children are generally polite, if a bit pushy when asking for help - they don't seem to have a good understanding of "not now" etc. .
    Anyway, don't let em get you down ! How big can we make our ignore lists BTW?
    the op probably is asking the parents of these individuals to take their children offline... (even though they might not be children according to law because of their age)

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    144
    Well... in many games our great-great hero kills hundreds if not thousands people/animals/orcs/goblins/etc...

    It is definitely not what normal people should do. Even in fantasy world.

    Fortunatelly it is a virtual world in which we all are busy doing things that are impossible to do in the real world.

    I wonder when we get a new kind of games where we don't have to kill virtual people.
    I even have an idea of a game world in which killing a creature does not mean an end of someone's life.
    All creatures including our main hero will be immediatelly auto-reborn in slightly different lolation, so it won't be technically a killing. Well, perhaps it's not a perfect solution, but at least something to start with....

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Northern Colorado
    Posts
    221
    As many above have said, many of those who harass are not children. I have a basically social kin and many of my members are younger 13 to 16. My oldest grandchild is 18. One day I got an in game mail from one of my younger members saying they wouldn't be able to play lotro for a week. They had been playing and not doing homework. For about two weeks whenever one of my younger ones came online i would always ask is your homework done? I'd explain lotro is a GAME, your studies are important to the rest of your LIFE! Now I never have to ask they are proud to tell me about how they are doing in school.


    Yesterday my band and another band held a concert in Bree. Four to five people from a kinship that shall remain nameless began to harass the bands and the audience. Several of them were level 85. I know for a fact they were reported by at least five to 10 people. One of my younger members said "Hilrond they are really giving their kin a bad name and not representing it very well". I simply said "exactly".

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wales, United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,104
    Quote Originally Posted by manstan View Post
    Monitor your children while they are playing LOTRO.

    I was doing a quick stop at Bree to sell some drops and craft out some components when I heard the faint FE. Looked over to see some one on the ground. Ok, on with my business while watching the person that cast the FE run around in circles and jumping up and down on the person on the ground. Big eye role, back to sorting and checking recipes. The person finally got up, ran around a bit then sent me cold kinship invite, which I declined. Then the person came over and started doing area of effect attacks on me, shook my head and back to checking to see if I had everything for the recipes I wanted to do. The attacks had no effect so now the even less effective FEs started. Still rummaging in my bags and making a list of what I needed to do get from my vault. Realizing the FEs weren't having any effect the person jumped on their horse road it over the top of me and parked there. I just poped back to my house to pick up the materials I needed to do the recipes. Then after waiting for my time out to end, back to Bree to do the crafting. Yup, there he was harassing yet another target.

    So parents please remember to monitor your children, these juvenile antics are quite aggravating.

    As been said, probably not kids. Next time it happens and they won't stop inviting you, invite them to spa. One shot them and port to a higher location. Or if you're a hunter, join them, port them to East Angmar and leave them there to find their way home

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Middle-earth
    Posts
    1,839
    Such behaviour as reported by the OP again clearly illustrates you don't need to be a donkey to make an ### of yourself.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post
    Or if you're a hunter, join them, port them to East Angmar and leave them there to find their way home
    Aaaw....That's just mean...incredibly awesome and creative...but mean. I really hope someone gets grotty with me now just so I can do it - lol

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    392
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger53 View Post
    As many above have said, many of those who harass are not children. I have a basically social kin and many of my members are younger 13 to 16. My oldest grandchild is 18. One day I got an in game mail from one of my younger members saying they wouldn't be able to play lotro for a week. They had been playing and not doing homework. For about two weeks whenever one of my younger ones came online i would always ask is your homework done? I'd explain lotro is a GAME, your studies are important to the rest of your LIFE! Now I never have to ask they are proud to tell me about how they are doing in school.


    Yesterday my band and another band held a concert in Bree. Four to five people from a kinship that shall remain nameless began to harass the bands and the audience. Several of them were level 85. I know for a fact they were reported by at least five to 10 people. One of my younger members said "Hilrond they are really giving their kin a bad name and not representing it very well". I simply said "exactly".
    And this is why you and your kin are such an asset to Nimrodel.


    +++++rep, rep, rep, rep, rep

  20. #20
    There is an option in the Control O panel to turn on/off Force Emotes. Turning them off removes the animation effects on you but does not interfere with the deed counts on the caster. It will help a lot in crowded situations where you don't want to find your toon passed out on the floor on fire.


    re: parents monitoring

    They might also want to have speakers where they can actually hear the voice chat their children are engaging in. It might stun some parents at the depth of language their 8 year olds know AND use.

    (see: Seven dirty words in Wikipedia for more details.)
    Whoever says “I” creates the “you.” Such is the trap of every conscience. The “I” signifies both solitude and rejection of solitude. Words name things and then replace them. Whoever says tomorrow, denies it. Tomorrow exists only for him who does not seek it. And yesterday? Yesterday is Kolvillàg: a name to forget, a word already forgotten.

    The Oath: A Novel by Elie Wiesel

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    501
    Quote Originally Posted by evguenil View Post
    Well... in many games our great-great hero kills hundreds if not thousands people/animals/orcs/goblins/etc...

    It is definitely not what normal people should do. Even in fantasy world.

    Fortunatelly it is a virtual world in which we all are busy doing things that are impossible to do in the real world.

    I wonder when we get a new kind of games where we don't have to kill virtual people.
    I even have an idea of a game world in which killing a creature does not mean an end of someone's life.
    All creatures including our main hero will be immediatelly auto-reborn in slightly different lolation, so it won't be technically a killing. Well, perhaps it's not a perfect solution, but at least something to start with....
    That game should be called Riverworld . . .

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sylvan kingdom
    Posts
    707
    As has been stated above, some of the most egregious behavior that people automatically assume is done by 'kids', are not done by 'kids' at all. But people who should be old enough to know better.

    If Timmy is 25 and still acting this way, it's not that he didn't get enough love growing up, it's that he didn't get enough whoopins' to align his compass the right direction and let him know that such shoddy behavior is not tolerated in a civilized society.

  23. #23
    The first wave of ftp many years ago did not seem to bring in a flood of this bad behavior, but I have noticed that in the last year or so it has become almost unbearable. Its what has caused me to admit I was wrong about all the people saying the developers should not be trying to bring new people into the game. If this is what WOW is like, I am thankful we had five years of LOTRO without this immature behavior. My ignor list hasn't maxxed out so far, but I am dreading when it does. I think these are just as much 20 somethings as teens, and yes we have noticed that there are even some 85s who act like this. Of course, there always was bad language used in most of the raiding kins, but this kind of behavior is worse than just cursing. And the GMS need to get a LOT tougher about banning people who engage in sexual talk on glff. As it is, I would not let my children play this game once they were old enough to find out about glff. Joining a family based Kin is something of a refuge, but one must still be in glff if you want to raid an do instances. I have characters on all English and German language servers, and I have also noticed that this kind of bad bahaviour is less prevalent on the European and role playing servers.

    In addition to bad manners and hyperactivity, most of these new players seem to be appallingly bad players. Getting in a 12 man level 20ish raid on Brandy is a real education- no prep, no organization, no concept of aggro control and only a bare recognition of the role of healing, no leadership, no pots, no food, no CJ, no target assist, etc etc. This is what the game is to these people. They are playing a completely different game. Of those few who do make it to 85, most have ridiculous character makeups: no settings in their legendary weapons, legacy points unspent, outdated gear that does not match their class--- and seem to have little interest in either joining a Kin with experienced players who can teach them game mechanics, or trying to learn those mechanics on their own. As a result, glff is now polluted with offers of raids or instances from people that can't finish them, and it is no longer possible to join a raid offer unless you either recognize the name as a good player or the person is not anon and is reasonably geared.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,277
    Quote Originally Posted by MithrielWielder View Post
    no leadership
    When talking about new players, that one's probably more our job... not so much theirs ;p

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload