We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Mouse Look Issues

Whenever I let go of my right mouse button, (the pan the camera around), it snaps to an overhead view of my character and the mouse centers in screen. The game is completely unplayable unless I keyboard turn, which is extremely clunky and keeps making me run into things. How do I fix the mouse look so every time I release the key it stops snapping to an overhead view of my character. Thank you for the help.

I play on Windows 7 64-bit with a Razor Naga. The mouse does not do this on any other game.

Hi, Decyfer, welcome to the forums.

The first thing I would suggest for you to try is to rename, move, or delete the "UserPreferences.ini" file in the "The Lord of the Rings" directory inside your Documents directory.
    How to get help on the Tech Forums and how to contact Turbine

Please reply to the topic or PM me if a solution I posted works for you: The more data I can gather the better I can help.

This happens to me too. I've noticed that the amount of "jump" seems to be based on your mouse sensitivity and the distance your cursor is from the center of the screen at the time of the click.

Really low sensitivity makes the jumping a lot less bad, or clicking in the very middle of the screen, but this is very irritating and I haven't been able to find a fix for it. If you click in the bottom-right of the screen, the jump is the the top-left, and clicking with the cursor on the top right makes the jump toward the bottom left, etc.

Driving me nuts. This doesn't happen in any other app, I've done the ###### stuff like switch hardware etc. So far I'm blaming the ancient .net framework 1.1 and I don't have a lot of hope for a fix. Windows 8 makes sure to let me know that .net 1.1 isn't supported anymore.

Wow.... messed around with options under "troubleshooting" and set my max FPS to 60, the mouselook troubles stopped. I recommend you try this too!

Well, I still have mouse jump. It's every 10-30 seconds instead of every 1-5 seconds, so it's almost playable.

I'm having this problem as well - nearly exactly as the original poster. Using Razer Naga. Any ideas?
    I've tried removing the UserPreferences.ini file but this really only made it so I don't have access to my characters.
    I've updated, deleted, reinstalled drivers. Nothing.
    I've changed the FPS. Nothing.
    I've changed the click speed on the mouse. Nothing.
    Tried rolling back to direct X 10. Nothing.
    I've reset defaults for mouse in options, changing graphics around, etc... Just can't get anything to work

... besides using a standard mouse. But after using the Naga for a long time, I don't think going back is an option

Have a try at working through this support topic and see if it helps at all.

I know it's not exactly the issue you're all having but there may be something that helps.
    How to get help on the Tech Forums and how to contact Turbine

Please reply to the topic or PM me if a solution I posted works for you: The more data I can gather the better I can help.

Thanks for the help. The DPI scaling thing mentioned in the support thread was a good idea, but unfortunately nothing there has helped.
    Hopefully I'll figure out a solution soon. The game isn't as enjoyable with having right click occasionally 'missing' and having the screen snap around unexpectedly.

I have a friend that has the exact same problem. He has a Razer mouse also and windows 8. He had no probems before HD update that we can remember.

However, I have a Razer mouse and have had no issues...though I run Windows 7.

Please, Please update this thread if anyone finds a solution. The game is unplayable for him as it is now.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000027d54c/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I'm running Windows 7 and have the issue.
    I replaced my Razer with a standard mouse and issue went away.
    That being said, going back to a regular keyboard after using the Razer Naga is... difficult.

=*( yes, I can't imagine not using my Razer...I'm using window 7 also and Razer Naga (2012 version).. but I have no problems. So perhaps a setting?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000027d54c/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I use a logitech mouse and have been for about a year now, i have win 8 64 bit.
    This issue started for me just before 11.4 or 11.5, can't remember which, but it does get worse in closed area's like caves and buildings.
    I put in a ticket on this and still have not heard back.
    I did switch out mice, keyboard and pad, no change and i do not have this issue in other MMO's.

Same with me, running a Logitech G700. Issue started some months ago.

I am curious as to which video cards they patched for in 11.4; that, perhaps, could be the thing all these issues have in common. Perhaps the patch worked for some things but seem to have broken another?

Which video card do you use? And is there any place to see which ones were affected by the patch 11.4?

Hi everyone,

I'm experiencing the same issue as all of you here. I have Windows Ultimate 64-bit and I tried 2 logitech USB mice, and both having the same turn around when I try to get my finger off the right mouse button after steering my character. I also agree, in the neighborhood of houses (where a lot of fellow players are inside) it gets worse. At one point going from Bree to the Lonelylands, the flaw seems to repeat itself and my character goes back to the same place, where I initially inserted the right mouse button for the first time to steer, similar to a loop. After 5 times being thrown back to the same place, I needed to use the keyboard keys to get out of the loop again.

I can do with using the A and D button to move left and right, but I love steering with the right mouse button, cause the horse acts so cool and smooth, better then the keyboard buttons. I have tried to lower the graphic card settings from ultra high to medium, no improvement. I have also downloaded the logitech support app and activated the game detection, no improvement.

I checked the regular web on the issue, and came on a kind of similar problem with VMware users trying to play games. They figured out, that there is a some kind of delay when using the right button of the mouse, where the left mouse button is acting normally. But still, they also have not figured out a solution for their problem. I see a little similarity with both their and our right mouse button. There is some kind of lag in it, and after a few hits on the right mouse button, it seems the character goes back in time, which causes him to turn 180 degrees or move up to an angle facing towards the sky or go back a few paces, which causes (looping) lag.

I hope that anybody can help us with the issue soon and that my information is very helpful in doing so. Thank you everyone for posting and trying to help figuring out our issue, I hope it will be solved soon

Happy hunting everybody
    Last edited by Ashadian; Dec 10 2013 at 05:14 PM.

Hi again,

After a few days being confronted with the mouse look issue, I've decided to stop playing, because it is not an option anymore to go in battle this way. I've tried every possible solution I can imagine to fix the flaw, but all in vain. My computer is in top shape, updates are all installed and all drivers are signed.

I have thought of buying a new mouse, but because I have no possible idea what is causing the flaw, it is no use buying a new one, cause that might not be the problem at all and the new mouse would do the same thing is the other ones.

I've sent in a ticket for support and hope that het issue will be solved in a couple of days, or that at least someone can give me an idea for a possible new mouse that will work flawlesly in this awesome game.

With kind regards,

Ashadian

Quote Originally Posted by Ashadian View Post
    I've sent in a ticket for support and hope that het issue will be solved in a couple of days, or that at least someone can give me an idea for a possible new mouse that will work flawlesly in this awesome game.
    I'm wondering if anyone has come up with a fix for this in the past couple of months. I'm running Win7 64-bit and everything was running perfectly fine with LOTRO. I replaced my Video Card from an AMD/ATI 6850 to an NVidia 760 and all of a sudden I am having the same issues with my mouse (Logitech Trackman Marble) as others have reported. Other than swapping out Video Cards and changing Video Drivers, my computer and my LOTRO settings are the same.

Camera control with the mouse is now far too sensitive in LOTRO, no matter what my mouse settings are set to in LOTRO. My direction will randomly snap to a change of exactly 180 degrees, and the camera will tilt and zoom upwards from the ground (I assume whether the camera points downwards or upwards is a matter of whether you have your Mouse Inversion turned on or not). I mean I like having extreme closeups of my horse's junk as the next player in LOTRO, but this has made playing the game near impossible. If my AMD/ATI 6850 wasn't dead, I would switch it back in a heartbeat just so I could play again.

I have not experienced this in any of the other 204 games I have played since replacing my Video Card (although admittedly I did have a similar problem when I last upgraded my Video Card with Dead Space 1 & 2 but that turned out to be a VSync issue if I recall).

It's reassuring to know that it isn't a universal problem, but for those affected by it I can say that it is a definite game-breaker.
    ~NOST CORUFAER~
    An all Elven Kinship, perfecting
    [Prized Pie] since the Dawn of the Second Age...only on Elendilmir.
    "It began with a leaf caught in the wind..."

Quote Originally Posted by TsarithArcher View Post
    I'm wondering if anyone has come up with a fix for this in the past couple of months. I'm running Win7 64-bit and everything was running perfectly fine with LOTRO. I replaced my Video Card from an AMD/ATI 6850 to an NVidia 760 and all of a sudden I am having the same issues with my mouse (Logitech Trackman Marble) as others have reported. Other than swapping out Video Cards and changing Video Drivers, my computer and my LOTRO settings are the same.

Camera control with the mouse is now far too sensitive in LOTRO, no matter what my mouse settings are set to in LOTRO. My direction will randomly snap to a change of exactly 180 degrees, and the camera will tilt and zoom upwards from the ground (I assume whether the camera points downwards or upwards is a matter of whether you have your Mouse Inversion turned on or not). I mean I like having extreme closeups of my horse's junk as the next player in LOTRO, but this has made playing the game near impossible. If my AMD/ATI 6850 wasn't dead, I would switch it back in a heartbeat just so I could play again.

I have not experienced this in any of the other 204 games I have played since replacing my Video Card (although admittedly I did have a similar problem when I last upgraded my Video Card with Dead Space 1 & 2 but that turned out to be a VSync issue if I recall).

It's reassuring to know that it isn't a universal problem, but for those affected by it I can say that it is a definite game-breaker.

I have been researching this problem since my friend first started having mouse cursor trouble when he updated to Win 8.1 (with Naga mouse , no problem on win 7) and an Nvidia card on both. I had win 7 and naga mouse with Nvidia drivers and no problem. But then.. I purchased a new gaming laptop with dual 750 nvidia cards and 8.1 (with my razer naga)and now I have the similar problem but not as bad AND it's not just lotro. I notice it on GW2, SWToR and Rift. And it seems to be worse on SWToR than on Lotro or the others.

I recently ran across a post in the WoW forums about people experiencing the same problem. Sad to say it seems to be a combination of factors and not just one thing and it's not limited to JUST LoTRo from what I can tell so far and seems to crop up in various degrees for everyone. And not only that, it doesn't not happen consistently. Very frustrating to say the least. Their solution was to blow out the laser on the bottom of the mouse. Most said that worked.. I haven't tried it yet.. but guess it can't hurt to try. (reminds me of the phone prank to clean the bird poop off the phone lines =/ but I digress.)

I will keep searching for clues and answers...and I hope that the mouse/game companies and windows people do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Allorn View Post
    I have been researching this problem since my friend first started having mouse cursor trouble when he updated to Win 8.1 (with Naga mouse , no problem on win 7) and an Nvidia card on both. I had win 7 and naga mouse with Nvidia drivers and no problem. But then.. I purchased a new gaming laptop with dual 750 nvidia cards and 8.1 (with my razer naga)and now I have the similar problem but not as bad AND it's not just lotro.

I will keep searching for clues and answers...and I hope that the mouse/game companies and windows people do the same.
    I have isolated the problem, at least in my case.

I was wrong when I said that the only thing that changed on my computer was swapping an AMD/ATI Video Card for an NVIDIA. Turns out my GF snagged my Logitech G13 Keypad so that she could play FFXIV on her computer, instead of the PS3 where she normally plays. Sure enough, the moment I plugged it back in my camera/mouse went back to normal in LOTRO. I disconnected it and the camera in LOTRO went wonky again.

Turns out it is a Microsoft DirectX issue with HID (Human Interface Devices) inputs that is caused by a conflict between devices registered as a Mouse and those that are registered as a Gamepad (which because of the thumbstick on the Logitech G13, Windows classifies it as a Gamepad device). Even if you have the Gamepad disconnected from your computer, Windows still keeps it active, and since there is no input from the device it seems to regard the Mouse input as input from a Gamepad instead of as a Mouse.

The solution was easy (other than plugging the absent device back in)...go into CONTROL PANEL > DEVICES AND PRINTERS and right-click on any Gamepads listed, and disable them in PROPERTIES (the G13 had two HID device drivers that needed to be disabled). It resolves the problem instantly in-game.

Of course, YMMV, but it is something to consider. Windows doesn't seem to unload Gamepads once installed, even if they are not detected at bootup. If ever you installed a Gamepad or Gamepad device, it will cause these camera/mouse symptoms in DirectX games when they are not connected.
    ~NOST CORUFAER~
    An all Elven Kinship, perfecting
    [Prized Pie] since the Dawn of the Second Age...only on Elendilmir.
    "It began with a leaf caught in the wind..."

Ok I hope this helps.

as i AM using PlayOnLinux I could not try Windows solutions like Control Panel Disable Gamepads, which after reading all the posts sounded promising.

So what i did was simply take the battery out of the Steam Controller, and all was fixed.

This certainly confirms it is not the LotRO fault per se, but a game controller "Confusing" the Mouse Look Actions.

WooHoo SOLVED.