We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilhsul View Post
    Did this the other day for the first time... found it quite easy, not sure what the problem is
    The problem is that the skill Bracing victory is broken so you have no heals for the final fight and will probably die unless you are lucky or try one of the tricks above. Up to that point its not difficult

Finished on 2nd try

I agree with all of you: the defeat response skills are broken and need to be fixed. However, after reading forums for advice after failing on my first try, I decided to try out some of the advice.

The first time I tried, I lasted until Mazog came in with his two cronies; I entered that fight with just a couple thousand morale, so I died too quickly. However, on the second try, I stood to the side of the doors to the Chamber of Mazarbul so the archers wouldn't have a clear shot at me. When necessary, I ran out and took the fight to the archers and killed them. Because of this decrease in the damage I received, I was able to start fighting Mazog with around 10k morale, which lasted me long enough to complete the session.

Therefore, it is possible to complete the session without Ori's defeat response skills, but it requires some tactics and probably some luck as well. I have a second character approaching this point in the epic story; I'll see how many tries it takes then.
    “Merely having an open mind is nothing. The object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid.” - G.K. Chesterton
    On Vilya (Friends of Frodo): 100 Dwarf GRD Lifthil, R5 | 62 Elf HNT Beinhareth | 47 Hobbit BUR Julo | 47 Man CPT Liftspirit | 35 Man WDN Liftward | 25 Elf RK Liftstoner

After six tries I finally beat this quest. 2 skill buttons are broke so healing is hard to do. Getting to the chamber isn't to hard. Fighting in the chamber is the problem. I beat it by fighting outside the chamber in the hallway. After writing the book I fought the Orcs in the hallway. When Mazog enters he goes to the chamber. Stay in the hallway to heal. His 2 thugs will come after you but you will nearly be full health so they are easy. I waited until by special skills cooled down then attacked Mazog at the doorway, but still outside the chamber. After he goes green more Orcs enter. Stand your ground in the hallway. You should only have to survive a few more seconds. I killed 3 more orcs when it went black and mission was completed.

So besides those hints there's still no update for this quest?
    ~ Huntress reincarnated ~

I managed to do it by surviving until the final wave of orcs, and then using the skill that lets you spam the aoe skills, and then did so.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowellan View Post
    So besides those hints there's still no update for this quest?
    Correct, I don't believe the update changed anything. The method of exploiting the initial "friendly" state of Mazog and his two guards by going into the hallway outside the chamber is your best bet.

Just did this with an alt for the first time since HD went live. I've done it before with at least 7 other characters and never had as many problems as this time.

First major stumbling block was the trolls in the First Hall. Took me three tries to get back to the Bridge of Khazad-Dum without the trolls following and killing both Ori and Frar. I don't remember this ever being a problem before, but it seems to be a matter of luck whether the other two dwarves can establish enough aggro against them to keep them from following. Might this be due to the changes in aggro and tanking with HD? I don't play a tank, so have no first hand experience with how that mechanic is working now.

The second, of course was the fight in the Chamber of Mazarbul. As has been said, the two old Champion skills are now broken and you have no way of healing Ori to keep him going long enough to satisfy the quest. As others have suggested, I had to run him out of the chamber and wait to heal up before engaging the orcs. After killing the first two orcs, I ran back into the chamber and engaged Mazog, pulling him off to the side so as to be out of range of his trolls and archers. Was eventually almost killed by the summoned orcs, but at least Ori managed to last long enough for the quest to complete.

This used to be my favourite session play. The doomed heroism of Ori's last stand always got me a bit choked up and made me want to make a dwarf champ. Now, it just feels like a chore. The unpredictability of the trolls in First Hall and having to exploit the mechanics in the Chamber of Mazarbul just killed the immersion and the feeling of having been there with Ori.

IMO is part of the problem, that you are not allowed to finish the quest while being "in combat" - whereever (sometimes far away) the enemy is.
    So having bad luck and pulling some trolls but managing to the end of the bridge is always a game over & try again.
    Me personally, I hate the whole blocking of finishing quests - that is so annoying.

Bracing skill did not work for me.
    Tried in "simple" combat with full fervour and power:did not work
    Tried in Dwarves last chamber with full fervour and power: did not work
    If I try to run - all hell runs after me, I am killed.

This quest is absolutely impossible. Turbine, please be so kind to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyaha View Post
    IMO is part of the problem, that you are not allowed to finish the quest while being "in combat" - whereever (sometimes far away) the enemy is.
    So having bad luck and pulling some trolls but managing to the end of the bridge is always a game over & try again.
    Me personally, I hate the whole blocking of finishing quests - that is so annoying.
    I think you're right and that may be part of the problem in First Hall.

As I understand it, they put in that business of not being allowed to finish a quest while in combat because some freeps in the Moors were using the festival pop up quest that ported you out to the festival as a way of escaping combat when they were losing to the creeps. With the Yule fest, they seem to have come up with a more reasonable fix for that. The pop-up gives you a map to Winterhome which cannot be used in combat. If they can apply this same mechanic to the rest of the festivals, then there's no need to block finishing quests while in combat.

While it may be part of the problem here, it's the whole problem in quests which were originally designed to be finished while in combat. There are several threads on trying to finish the Epic quest in Enedwaith where you go into an area analogous to the Paths of the Dead with the Rangers. That quest was designed to be finished while you run away from hordes of angry Dead. So in order to "fix" an exploit, Turbine broke the mechanics of the older quest.

NaktiesKarys
    Bracing skill did not work for me.
    Tried in "simple" combat with full fervour and power:did not work
    Tried in Dwarves last chamber with full fervour and power: did not work
    If I try to run - all hell runs after me, I am killed.

This quest is absolutely impossible. Turbine, please be so kind to fix it.
    It takes a little creative thinking to get by the quest, but it is by no means "impossible".

Quite a few have already found a way to work around the problem, but I agree it definately needs to be fixed and soon.

I have 2 Kinmates who can't seem to get thru it as well.

So far I have heared in Moria chats about only 1 person (champion;race not specified) who has finished after recent update. Since all chats were dead, I presume there were only 2 persons who were or are or will be doing this instance.

As for me - running won't help, fighting means suicide too early and I have no chances to support. There is really no way out of this quest and it is epic, so I won't finish book without it.

However, since nobody from Turbine is listening...guess we will get it fixed with update number 50001.

I completed it last week. 3rd or 4th attempt, but I got there. Even had to kill one of the trolls which followed us to the bridge! Can't really remember doing anything other than using the skills as they activated and having some luck.
    If you find yourself alone, stood in a stone circle with the sun on your face, do not be troubled. For you are in Middle Earth and it will soon be time for 2nd breakfast!

Do you mean you managed to do this without bracing attack?

I tried it 2 times and finished it. When i had to run away from the bridge, the trolls did follow me but stopped on time. When i had to fight at the chamber
    i just stayed in the hall and then it was easy to complete it.

Quote Originally Posted by marianlaika View Post
    I tried it 2 times and finished it. When i had to run away from the bridge, the trolls did follow me but stopped on time. When i had to fight at the chamber
    i just stayed in the hall and then it was easy to complete it.
    Did you have bracing attack? Because I had none (it was grey all the time) and I just had zero chance.
    Trolls bother me too little, it may be luck (or lack of one).
    One time I tried to just stand and watch my "defenders", but "defenders" were too easily killed and I got swarmed by melee and ranged orcs. Can't see why it must be easy, to withstand many many orcs, then swap 2/3 Mazog's health, withstand horde of orcs...without any chance to heal.

Quote Originally Posted by NaktiesKarys View Post
    Did you have bracing attack? Because I had none (it was grey all the time) and I just had zero chance.
    Trolls bother me too little, it may be luck (or lack of one).
    One time I tried to just stand and watch my "defenders", but "defenders" were too easily killed and I got swarmed by melee and ranged orcs. Can't see why it must be easy, to withstand many many orcs, then swap 2/3 Mazog's health, withstand horde of orcs...without any chance to heal.
    No i did it without bracing attack, it is indeed grey. the first time i stood in the chamber and was killed very fast. The second time when i was
    writing in that book, i ran to the hall right after and helped the defenders, they did die too. After that i went back to the hall when mazog came and
    the two orcs came after me so i killed them, i waited till my health was back up and finished mazog, then back to the hall and 10 seconds later it was done.

Hope this will help you a little! sorry for my bad english not my native

Took me 4 tries, but I finally completed it, too! My original toon I had no probs, now a year later on an alt, probs galore. The 1st try, when running from the Balrog, the cave-trolls caught up to Frar & me at the bridge and we were goners. All of my other tries, I ran up the bridge- let Frar engage the orcs..turned around, came back and helped him finish them off and no cave-trolls showed up. The Chamber was definitely the hardest! My 2nd try, I made it to the last Mazog mob, and died in seconds....then I tried a combo of some of the suggestions above -- going out into the hallway didn't work, still aggroed everything so I ran back into the chamber but went off to the side and behind one of the stone pillars. You have a few secs to get a bit of morale back and then the orcs figure out where you are and come after you. No prob, beat them..then run to the back of the room to recover and back to that pillar. Mazog was in by then...stayed behind the pillar during his monologue and healed up-- by the time he came over to attack me, morale was back up. Killed one of his adds, then started the running trick. LOL- almost ran into the 2nd wave of orcs that came into the room, but Mazog gave his speech then, the line to cue the end and I just ran around the room until the "completed" showed up.

They should just remove the skills from the toolbar since they don't work anymore!

Still broken after 3 months. Bravo, Turbine.

Fix it please, Turbine. This used to be my favorite session play in the game, and now it's a stressful mess instead of a heroic last stand.

Those stupid broken abilities don't have to remain Response events... just reprogram them as cooldowns.

This is part of a flashback story for Gandalf's sake. It shouldn't be the worst stumbling block in the Epic storyline and require a dumb exploit (the hallway tactic) to get through.

I will be bringing 3 new members of my kin through this sometime this year, and i sincerely hope it's fixed by Update 13, because they won't be amused. We are all VIPs by the way.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by NaktiesKarys View Post
    Do you mean you managed to do this without bracing attack?
    It's still quite possible to do it without bracing attack, and without the dumb exploit of staying in the hall.

I did it a couple of days ago on my second attempt (the first one failed because Frar agroed a troll and I didn't notice he wasn't following me).

When Mazog enters, kill his adds one at a time, only then go for Mazog, and do not forget when he 'turns green' you have to kill at least one more orc to end the instance successfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Eliahnus View Post
    When Mazog enters, kill his adds one at a time, only then go for Mazog, and do not forget when he 'turns green' you have to kill at least one more orc to end the instance successfully.
    I recently completed this with the non-functioning bracing attack, and it's possible though very difficult. I didn't use any hall exploit either. But you don't need to kill one more orc after Mazog turns green - just run circles and kite like a chicken.

If you've done it before as many times as I have it's much easier than if it's your first time through and you're still figuring it out. These skills need to be fixed.
    I'd explain it to you, but I'm all out of Puppets and Crayons.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    GLADDEN SERVER
    Moochy, 105 Minstrel R10

I happened to see this thread literally one day before I got to this quest.

Failed the first time due to zero healing or regen.

Second time I went into the hall and my health regened there and then the end guy was no problem.

This would have annoyed me to no end being stuck here as I want to experience the whole questline.

This is beyond annoying.
    I can't even get back to bridge without one of the Trolls following us. Failed three times in a row because of this. And yes, I did wait for the two dwarfs to move into position and some more.

If you see someone throwing a tantrum in front of Bosi in the chamber of the crossroads, that’s me.

Okay stay near the top of the stairs as soon as you see the Balrog and Trolls coming run for it if they see you, you are dead.

As for the fight in the chamber its very tough because you have no heals so fight the first two waves then hide around the corner outside the chamber and recover before Mazog comes. After a couple of minutes his body guards will come looking for you kill them. Then when Mazog summons help just stay out of their way untill the timer expires.
    Last edited by Atrixzia; Mar 27 2014 at 06:02 AM. Reason: editing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2