We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    The Prancing Pony, usually I'm drunk in a corner
    Quote Originally Posted by Almagnus1 View Post

I have no use for the stats, I'd rather not waste my CPU cycles calculating information I do not care about.
    So people use them to measure their success to fail ratio on instances, and other stuff...

Just because you don't use them doesn't mean everyone else doesn't.

What about a way to turn them off in the options panel?

Glorgnorbor
    Happy Halloween!
    Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy
    Took me a few years, but I renewed my signature :)

The stats don't change as long as one doesn't play skirmishes or retraits his skirmish soldier. They don't have to be recalculated every time a player logs in. The best solution would be to cache them server side.

Quote Originally Posted by Neumi View Post
    The stats don't change as long as one doesn't play skirmishes or retraits his skirmish soldier. They don't have to be recalculated every time a player logs in. The best solution would be to cache them server side.
    Arithmetic calculations of any sort are incredibly fast on a modern PC. How much data could possibly be crunched here? I'm mystified as to what the high load could be. Is this really CPU bound? Are lots of things fetched individually from a DB or something???? This is also a good case for threading. If there is a background CPU intensive task, kick off a thread and don't let the data be displayed until it is done. Most folks (we'll see how the survey goes) presumably have at least 2 cores these days, impact on game would be minimized assuming the game itself is largely single threaded...

Quote Originally Posted by Almagnus1 View Post
    No, they "fixed" it by pushing the calculations to this "loaded" side of the character loading, which gives me the benefit of being able to play my captain on the laptop again.

Howerver.... it still causes performance issues once I'm loaded, and I'd rather not have to deal with the slowdown to begin with.

I have no use for the stats, I'd rather not waste my CPU cycles calculating information I do not care about.
    Except they didn't really fix anything. When checking this on the only character that has ever run skirmishes, I had my system freeze up for several seconds *after* I had "entered" the game. Since I have done so few skirmishes, the freeze was very short for me, but I still consider it an unacceptable problem.

I can't even imagine how it is for somebody who skirmishes extensively.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoRob View Post
    Except they didn't really fix anything. When checking this on the only character that has ever run skirmishes, I had my system freeze up for several seconds *after* I had "entered" the game. Since I have done so few skirmishes, the freeze was very short for me, but I still consider it an unacceptable problem.

I can't even imagine how it is for somebody who skirmishes extensively.
    Now you know why I want the check gone =)
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

Quote Originally Posted by DelgonTheWise View Post
    Arithmetic calculations of any sort are incredibly fast on a modern PC. How much data could possibly be crunched here? I'm mystified as to what the high load could be. Is this really CPU bound? Are lots of things fetched individually from a DB or something???? This is also a good case for threading. If there is a background CPU intensive task, kick off a thread and don't let the data be displayed until it is done. Most folks (we'll see how the survey goes) presumably have at least 2 cores these days, impact on game would be minimized assuming the game itself is largely single threaded...
    I think that's the key.
    It's just that the data in this case does not come from a local DB, but from the server and that this game has very slow databases and data transfer rates when it comes to lists. You can see that if you look at how long it takes to transfer an item from your inventory or buy something at a vendor or just open a supplier vendor for the first time or even if you open the auction house.

The CPU usage of Lotro is not very high when I load a char so the time must be spent otherwise, for example with waiting for data. Also the network performance does not drop, so it's probably also not a lot of data being transmitted.

I assume that the original idea was to keep the data packages small, which in theory is a good idea when it comes to performance in a fight, but not if there are a lot of data packages, you know how much a 12 man skirmish lags when everyone has a healer with heal over times and flags are placed to give effects over time.
    If the skirmish data are handled in a similar way, that could explain why they calculate so slowly. Let's say it's a 20 step calculation. Instead of getting all variables at once in one big package, the client only asks the server for the variables of the first step. Then it has to wait for the data to arrive, performs the step, requests the next variables and so on and so on.
    I'm not claiming that it really happens this way, but it would be a possible explanation.

Things like this happen when programs grow over time, when the algorithms were made for specific needs and over the year new needs were added without optimizing the core code. I face the same problems with my own software every day. Once in a while I need to stop adding new things and optimize the stuff that has already been made. But with customers waiting that's not always an easy thing to do. It's not that it would be really difficult to do it, but it's a lot of work and during this time there would be no development of the code whatsoever.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2