We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
    2 Waterbank Road, Eryn Lelryn, Falathlorn Homesteads

A crafting suggestion, should crafting get any attention in the future.

I don't expect much change to the crafting system anytime soon, and I've made a couple of suggestions in the past. I'll add those to the end of the post to consolidate things, but here is one I thought of in the past few days, should crafting get a change any time in the future.

Lower the amount of needed mats required for recipes once you reach mastery of that tier. I joke with a kinmate about how wasteful our crafters are, what with needing four planks of wood to make a fishing rod or multiple ingots of metal to make a single ring. I propose halving the required base mats once you reach mastery, and logically speaking, a master would know how to use the materials he has in the most efficient manner possible.

For example: Tailoring components generally need two leathers each. Once you've gotten your gold anvil, components would need one leather each. This would not apply to gathering professions, as it makes sense that you would need multiple ores to make an ingot or multiple branches to make a plank.

Past suggestions:

Allow one to learn a fourth vocation upon reaching the highest current (Eastemnet with RoR, Westemnet with HD, and so on) mastery tier for the original three vocations.

Allow one to disable crits entirely and/or disable the "Name Crit Item" popup that stops crafting until it's closed and restarted.
    Tarphindiel~Hu~100, Tolella~Mi~86, Ryeberry~Gu~80, Torfrik~Rk~80, Arindis~Be~60
    Meleras~Wd~50, Minethril~Ca~49, Diorwen~Ch~44, Indiria~Lm~38, Alanda~Bu~32
    And Fourteen Other Alts
    Founder of Gladden's "The Fellowship of the Ping"

Quote Originally Posted by LethalLethality View Post
    Allow one to learn a fourth vocation upon reaching the highest current (Eastemnet with RoR, Westemnet with HD, and so on) mastery tier for the original three vocations.
    Could be interesting..... but as a TP purchase. I'm not really sure this will be beneficial, as you can still only be guilded with one craft, but I can see advantages of e.g. being able to add "forester" to weaponsmith to make it easier for the woodworking bit. But then again, why even start another toon? To many it is enticing to start a new toon, just because of that.... and thus they will learn a new toon and have a new alt, so they can craft. And as a side effect of that, more toons in lower level areas that are leveling up. So i'm on the fence on this one.

Allow one to disable crits entirely and/or disable the "Name Crit Item" popup that stops crafting until it's closed and restarted.
    YES!!!!!

Please please please please add this as an option. A check mark when you hit "make all" so you can just continue making stuff. Right now I keep a spare basic grey tool with 5% crit chance just to level up so it drastically reduces the chance (the better tools do not increase speed of crafting) so at least it doesn't crit as MUCH when crafting just to level up.....

PLEASE!!!!!

I can't emphasize it enough.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on Turbine's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Lightbulb

I feel that we beated to dead this theme not long ago & i bet my 2 cents that the devs saw the thread. A new expansion is about to arrive & with every expansion big changes are always implemented, beeing crafting mandtory with the raised level cap. Just keep an eye peeled for the Helms Deep Crafting Developers Diary that should pop any moment soon.
    PDT: Don't expect to have a "jack of all trades" crafting profesion included.
    Is this Alternate Character Disorder? :

Lower the amount of needed mats required for recipes once you reach mastery of that tier. I joke with a kinmate about how wasteful our crafters are, what with needing four planks of wood to make a fishing rod or multiple ingots of metal to make a single ring. I propose halving the required base mats once you reach mastery, and logically speaking, a master would know how to use the materials he has in the most efficient manner possible.
    While this makes sense as verisimilitude, it would put characters that hadn't mastered a given tier at a decided disadvantage.

Setting aside the myriad ideas that have previously been mentioned why this might not be a good idea, this particular method is a poor one, since it disadvantages newer players. Think about this scenario for a moment... Character A maxes out Eastemnet Mastery on all three vocations on Nov. 17 and buys a 4th vocation. Character B maxes out Eastemnet Mastery on all three vocations on Nov. 18, but has to wait until he masters Westemnet before he can buy that 4th vocation.

If the ability to add a 4th vocation were to be added, it should be under set--fixed--conditions, rather than being a moving target.

Easiest (and most likely) solution to this that I can think of would be Store item tools that have -5% to crit.

2 Waterbank Road, Eryn Lelryn, Falathlorn Homesteads
    Quote Originally Posted by whheydt View Post
    While this makes sense as verisimilitude, it would put characters that hadn't mastered a given tier at a decided disadvantage.
    It's not that big of a disadvantage, I don't think. It's basically another reward for mastering a tier. I don't really see how it disadvantages anyone. If you could elaborate on that, it'd be nice. Those who have mastered a tier generally don't stay in that tier for long after it unless they've been requested to craft something or they're making something for an alt. It would just take fewer resources to craft that item.

Setting aside the myriad ideas that have previously been mentioned why this might not be a good idea, this particular method is a poor one, since it disadvantages newer players. Think about this scenario for a moment... Character A maxes out Eastemnet Mastery on all three vocations on Nov. 17 and buys a 4th vocation. Character B maxes out Eastemnet Mastery on all three vocations on Nov. 18, but has to wait until he masters Westemnet before he can buy that 4th vocation.

If the ability to add a 4th vocation were to be added, it should be under set--fixed--conditions, rather than being a moving target.
    Good point. But at what point, I wonder. I would not set it too low, definitely no lower than Supreme. Perhaps it could be set to whatever the max is at the time the idea is implemented. So, if they did implement it today for example, the goal would be Eastemnet Master from this point on. If they implemented it between HD and the next, it would be Westemnet Master from that point on.

Easiest (and most likely) solution to this that I can think of would be Store item tools that have -5% to crit.

That's not a bad idea either, sorta like an exp disabler. It would stop crits entirely which kinda sucks when you wanna crit so items NPC for more, but it would make it easier to craft a large set of mats without interruption. It another option would be to add processing (mat to shavings, shavings to mats) to the lower tiers as well. It made leveling up tailor much more manageable when I had something that could crit and not require naming.
    Tarphindiel~Hu~100, Tolella~Mi~86, Ryeberry~Gu~80, Torfrik~Rk~80, Arindis~Be~60
    Meleras~Wd~50, Minethril~Ca~49, Diorwen~Ch~44, Indiria~Lm~38, Alanda~Bu~32
    And Fourteen Other Alts
    Founder of Gladden's "The Fellowship of the Ping"

It's not that big of a disadvantage, I don't think. It's basically another reward for mastering a tier. I don't really see how it disadvantages anyone. If you could elaborate on that, it'd be nice. Those who have mastered a tier generally don't stay in that tier for long after it unless they've been requested to craft something or they're making something for an alt. It would just take fewer resources to craft that item.
    Someone who hasn't mastered a tier would have to acquire more resources than someone who has mastered it, making the recipes "cheaper" for the character who has mastered the tier. I didn't say it would be a large disadvantage, just that it would be one.

Good point. But at what point, I wonder. I would not set it too low, definitely no lower than Supreme. Perhaps it could be set to whatever the max is at the time the idea is implemented. So, if they did implement it today for example, the goal would be Eastemnet Master from this point on. If they implemented it between HD and the next, it would be Westemnet Master from that point on.
    The original cap to crafting was Tier 5 (Master). That's where I'd set it if I were setting it up. However, I'm not convinced that it would be a good idea at all.

That's not a bad idea either, sorta like an exp disabler. It would stop crits entirely which kinda sucks when you wanna crit so items NPC for more, but it would make it easier to craft a large set of mats without interruption. It another option would be to add processing (mat to shavings, shavings to mats) to the lower tiers as well. It made leveling up tailor much more manageable when I had something that could crit and not require naming.
    /shrug It would be a tool that can be swapped out, depending on what you want to do. If you want crits, use the best tool you are able to. If you don't want crits, use a -5% tool. One could, for instance, use a good tool while processing raw materials and intermediate processes, then swith to a -5% tool to make the final (non-crit) items.

Basically we already have such a system, it's called "critical success".
    Once you finish the bronze anvil, you have a 5% chance to get more ingots out of ore for example, using a crafting roll it's 18.5%.
    Also when crafting according to the buffs, tools and components you are using, you have a 80% chance to get more components out of leather and ingots.

That's only possible if you mastered the bronze anvil and all gold anvils under the tier you are crafting => You have a chance to use your resources more efficiently.
    Also guild recipes can grant you more components out of the same amount of resources.

The thing is that it does not only depend on the char, but also on the player, he must be wise enough to use buffs and components that alter the chance for critical success.

Quote Originally Posted by Neumi View Post
    Basically we already have such a system, it's called "critical success".
    Once you finish the bronze anvil, you have a 5% chance to get more ingots out of ore for example, using a crafting roll it's 18.5%.
    Also when crafting according to the buffs, tools and components you are using, you have a 80% chance to get more components out of leather and ingots.

That's only possible if you mastered the bronze anvil and all gold anvils under the tier you are crafting => You have a chance to use your resources more efficiently.
    Also guild recipes can grant you more components out of the same amount of resources.

The thing is that it does not only depend on the char, but also on the player, he must be wise enough to use buffs and components that alter the chance for critical success.
    My thoughts exactly.