We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Old Timer, New player with "new" questions?

Alrighty guys and gals, if you could humor an old timer a few questions having to do with RP and insights into such in this game I would be very thankful.

#1: Landraval and Laurien(sp?) I know are the primary RP hubs I at least did a little bit of home work here, but my main question is not necessarily about the populations or volume of activity. It is more what kind of activity. I plan on playing a dwarf (class not known yet) and I was looking for something of a racial/cross racial merc or militaristic type of play or experience. (Think something like a band of neutral good/whatever mercenaries or guardsman, hell a Dwarven Army Regiment RP or something along those line would be awesome/perfect.) That is just for my main Character, however like many of you here I am plagued with the illness known as "Alt-Itis" and will undoubtedly make more characters of varying race, backgrounds and personalities. So I guess my main point of this question besides the sub question above is. The flavor of each server, I'm a more hardcore RPer in the sense that it would be fun for me to have everything my character does (well okay not everything, but most things) IC. Character Immersion and whatnot for the RP is paramount sooo.. which is more hardcore and better for the more immerse driven RPer?

#2: Anywhere else besides Bree to RP? Honestly lol all I have read about the prancing Pony is that... ya we'll just say it has a lot of ponies prancing about (hue hue hue) along with it being the griefing capitol of both servers. Now aside from that the question is just that, Other RP places and hubs within the game? This was out of curiosity of course. It's not like I'm saying I wouldn't RP in Bree I am more wondering about other attractive places to RP. Opinions and lists are more than welcome

#3: Last but not least if possible I would love for someone to give me a little low down on how RP is normally done as far as channels and normal procedures. Is it done in common Say channel? in a public place? Or is it a more private thing like in group chat or "pst" mode? Things and low downs of this nature.

Thanks for reading
    -Malgoth/Old Timer

#1: I don't do a whole lot of roleplaying on Landroval, so I can't speak for that community, but if you're into militia/mercenary/sellsword-type characters, I've seen quite a few of those on Laurelin. Most RPers probably fall within the light to medium range, but it's not like heavy RP is nonexistent.

#2: Bree is likely to remain the dominant RP hub, since it's easy to access for people of all levels. I've seen a bit of RP in the other starter areas, though, as well as in Rivendell. Keep an eye out for RP events that pop up; there are weekly get-togethers like Green Dragon Friday and Hud in Eledhrim. You might also take a look at Club Eclair if you like to combine questing and RP. I haven't really seen much RP activity in the higher level zones (although I generally play during off-peak hours) so if you want to do something in a more exotic locale, you'll probably have to plan it ahead of time.

#3: Generally everything takes place in /say and /emote, although if you're getting into material that may be offensive to others, you should probably take it to IMs or an instance. Some use /say for dialogue and /emote for descriptive actions, others put everything in the emote channel.

Okay, thanks for the help, seeing as though that the Game is nearly done I'll probably end up on Laurelin. Though I suppose when I get in the higher levels I'll try and form my own kinship probably (can't resist the thought of a Dwarven clan holing up in human lands to rebuild and prepare to take back their homes in one of the lost mountain strongholds) But again thanks for the suggestions and insight! If anyone feels like hitting me up ingame my Chars name will be either Malgoth or Thorgrim/n

-Malgoth/Old Timer
    [center][img]http://i1335.photobucket.com/albums/w663/lyn_konge/EpicDwarvesig_zps517d1f72.jpg[/img][/center]

The kin I am in was flagged as RP, but it's RP on occasion (like only during scheduled RP events, which are few and far between). If I were around a bit more often I'd be looking for a new kin, but I have yet to find one that offers what I'm looking for.

Four pieces of advice for wanting to RP:

- NEVER use voice chat if you want to stay In Character. It's essentially what killed my RP kin. If I must use voice chat it's to talk about Quest Specific stuff, or to talk to in-game friends.

- RP what you know. Don't try to act like some LOTR historian if you're not. Honestly, there were parts of the quest line where I just didn't pay attention to the details. People in a group were trying to RP about the plight of some NPC from 20+ quests past, and I didn't know what they were talking about. Instead of trying to BS my way through it, I stated essentially that as a Captain, one must put aside the trivialities of the situation. I get my orders and I act upon those orders. The lives affected by my actions in a single circumstance often do not matter when all of Middle-Earth is at war.

- Don't be corny. Nothing kills RP more than trying to sound like Shakespeare/Ren Faire trash.

- Don't abuse the actions and emotes. 90% of the reason I avoid The Prancing Pony is because I get too much action flood trash. What I mean by this is when you have people typing out those long novels of what there character is thinking. No one cares, and it's not a TV show with a voice over. To effectively role play, only tell people what they see, not what's implied or what your character is thinking (not spoken).
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000002c32f/01008/signature.png]Thaeryn[/charsig]