We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 120
  1. #76
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    your mind
    Posts
    3,881
    Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    I respect your opinion, but frankly, how does that relate to an avatar name?
    *points to the original post pointing out that it referenced an illegal drug, it's the very topic here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorwyn99 View Post
    ...anything i could have showed him in a mmo he learned years before in school. I always figured it's better to not keep him away from RL. That's why i figured the first time he's plastered and drugged up it's better if i'm around since i got at least some experience with it:P.
    I'm with you to some degree, but every parent know their individual child may/may not have the maturity to learn/grow from aspects of RL, and it's not up to strangers to make that call on behalf of parents.

    If it wasn't specifically proscribed in the rules, I'd be with the no harm, no foul crowd. But, we all agreed to not use names of that ilk, we made a commitment. Whether it crosses the line is not up to us, it's up to the company, it's just our responsibility to inform them, whether we agree or not. Hence, rules, so that it doesn't get tied down in this type of silliness. If some wish to break their word/commitment, it's up to them. (I am surprised they are flaunting that fact and suggesting others do as well, but to each their own.)

    PS: Having known a mother who wanted her daughter/friends around when they got wasted, I can tell you it doesn't result how you think it might. They didn't respect her in the least, and her daughter went on to have a poor drug-addled life, for decades.
    Link to our community LOTRO store google spreadsheet pricelist and conversion rates, please contribute too!: https://goo.gl/wxPqCm

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Gallifrey. I need a Jelly Baby.
    Posts
    18,360
    Quote Originally Posted by whheydt View Post
    I have to disagree.

    If it were a matter of internal rules of the kinship, then I'd agree with you that the kin leader telling the officer to let the violation go and the officer doing so would be the correct course of action. In this case, though, the rules in question are not those of the kin, but of Turbine, a "higher authority". The kin leader doesn't get to make decisions concerning Turbine's rules. The officer is free to use his own discretion to do what he sees fit. The officer can consider the kin leaders opinion as input to his own decision, but it isn't properly what determines the correct course of action.

    Even though, the matter should have never been brought here in the forums. If he is going to report, than report. But you don't bring out the kin's dirty laundry for all to see.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sylvan kingdom
    Posts
    707
    Quote Originally Posted by whheydt View Post
    I have to disagree.

    If it were a matter of internal rules of the kinship, then I'd agree with you that the kin leader telling the officer to let the violation go and the officer doing so would be the correct course of action. In this case, though, the rules in question are not those of the kin, but of Turbine, a "higher authority". The kin leader doesn't get to make decisions concerning Turbine's rules. The officer is free to use his own discretion to do what he sees fit. The officer can consider the kin leaders opinion as input to his own decision, but it isn't properly what determines the correct course of action.
    Let's get down to soup to nuts, shall we?

    Say your kid, or grandkid was doing something they perhaps shouldn't be, something perhaps currently 'illegal', but an extremely minor thing. Say Their sibling brings it up to you, and you say... hey, it's no big deal, let it go, I'll take care of it.

    They don't like that answer and instead proceed to get the kid in deep doodoo, all for something stupid.

    Would you be upset that the sibling ignored you and went with what they thought was 'right'?

    Would you say that the kid that got enforced upon got what they deserved? Or maybe, just maybe, as leader of your 'kin', you'd feel a bit ticked off that they went behind your back when you told them to drop it.

    On many, many things I agree with ye WH. This isn't one of them. You don't go informing on your neighbor or kin, be they real life kin, or members in a game, and throwing rocks in an otherwise still pond because someone does something you don't like. The fact that it's against a certain rule means nothing. You're likely only supporting that line of thought because it agrees with your belief, not because it is or is not a 'rule'. So what do you do? You TALK to them about it. And unless it directly and severely detrimentally affects you, you do what people used to do that made this country great. You mind your own business, and let others mind theirs. You don't try to get your neighbors in trouble because they're doing something that you don't agree with that just HAPPENS to be malum prohibitus.

    You seem to take the view that your views are Majus jus, merely because they agree with what is or is not 'legal' or 'the rules' at the current time.

    Let me introduce you to a term you perhaps may have not heard before. 'Malum in se'.

    Malum in se is something that is wrong in itself. Murder, for example. Theft. Something which is inherently and essentially evil, that is immoral in it's nature and injurious in it's consequences, without any regard to the fact of it's being noticed or punshed by the law.

    By all means, 'report' that which is Malum in se.

    Now let me introduce another term. 'Malum prohibitum'. This is a thing which is wrong BECAUSE it is prohibited. Being able to possess one plant and not another for example. A pocket full of dried dandelion won't get you anything. A pocket full of another dried plant will get you years in jail. What's the difference? Nothing. Malum prohibitum. One is verboten, one is not.Why? Becuase some 'higher authority' says so. It doesn't make it any more or less right, or more or less wrong. And just because you are on the side of a current rule, doesn't make you 'right'. People will frequently support something, just because it jibes with their current beliefs. If it was in opposition to their beliefs, they would not support it, regardless of whether it was 'policy', 'the rules', 'the law', etc.

    Just my 2.5 coppers.
    Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar, tenn’ Ambar-metta!

  4. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by Fearless.one View Post
    Life is life in game or otherwise! Ratting folks out Is a lousy thing to do. In real life the system is the same way, but I don't go running to call the cops over every little thing. Worrying about such petty stuff and running to the GM is kid stuff. I am just glad I don't know you and your not a friend or neighbor of mine I would not want to be in a guild with a goodie two shoes like that. I hope your Kin leader finds out you ratted on him and boots you right out of the kin.

    Your a drama seeker looking to cause trouble. No body can tell me the a few letters above someone head in a game can hurt anyone really! u need to grow a pair, get a bit thicker skin in this life. You start ratting on folks now because you feel safe on the other side of your PC.

    I bet there more to it too maybe the Leader is hanging out more wit the new guy and your jealous and just want to get the other guy kicked. I would bet my life this is not about being the good Samaritan. Rats always have something there up to behind someone back. I would not even have posted on something like this. Your just looking for a another rat to tell you its ok to be a rat. I bet you dot a lot a swirlies back in high school too!

    I was a guild leader for 2 years in DDO and I know the type drama queens trouble makers. Just play your game and mind your own P&Q's and stop trying to upset the apple cart! Before I tell your mama on you !! *lol*
    A bit harsh, but I'm glad someone said it.
    Can I has fixed Fornost and ITA lootboxes?

  5. #80
    Also can we please stop this "think of the children" garbage

    I am not going to start pandering to 7 year olds, this is an online video game, not a day care center.
    Can I has fixed Fornost and ITA lootboxes?

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    10,510
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaynith View Post
    Let's get down to soup to nuts, shall we?

    Say your kid, or grandkid was doing something they perhaps shouldn't be, something perhaps currently 'illegal', but an extremely minor thing. Say Their sibling brings it up to you, and you say... hey, it's no big deal, let it go, I'll take care of it.

    They don't like that answer and instead proceed to get the kid in deep doodoo, all for something stupid.

    Would you be upset that the sibling ignored you and went with what they thought was 'right'?
    I would agree that the sibling did what was right. I would then urge and support the misbehaving kid to plead for leniency on grounds that it was (a) minor and (b) the first time and counsel the kid to make sure that it was the ONLY time. Some lessons have to be learned the hard way.

    Would you say that the kid that got enforced upon got what they deserved? Or maybe, just maybe, as leader of your 'kin', you'd feel a bit ticked off that they went behind your back when you told them to drop it.
    In this case, as described, the kin leader plans to do...nothing, so far as we can tell. That's up to the kin leaders conscience. What the officer does is up to HIS conscience. In his shoes, I would probably report. But I'm not in his shoes so I can't *tell* him what to do, I can only give advice based on my own experience (since he has asked for advice).

    On many, many things I agree with ye WH. This isn't one of them. You don't go informing on your neighbor or kin, be they real life kin, or members in a game, and throwing rocks in an otherwise still pond because someone does something you don't like. The fact that it's against a certain rule means nothing. You're likely only supporting that line of thought because it agrees with your belief, not because it is or is not a 'rule'. So what do you do? You TALK to them about it. And unless it directly and severely detrimentally affects you, you do what people used to do that made this country great. You mind your own business, and let others mind theirs. You don't try to get your neighbors in trouble because they're doing something that you don't agree with that just HAPPENS to be malum prohibitus.
    As regards talking to people about such problems, I refer you to the anecdotes that emerged from the issue of forced emotes. Asking people to stop all to often resulted in more and greater abuse, which Turbine was unwilling to tell their GMs to stop. So suppose one DOES talk with the person with the offending name. What then? Do you find yourself targeted in various (possibly unprovable) way by him and his friends? Isn't it better for everyone concerned to quietly bounce the problem to Turbine?

    You seem to take the view that your views are Majus jus, merely because they agree with what is or is not 'legal' or 'the rules' at the current time.
    If you have read some of my posts on the problems with mane enforcement, you will have seen a fairly oft repeated request that Turbine EITHER enforce the existing or CHANGE the rules to something they can and will enforce. I really don't much care which choice they make, but the current situation is not really fair to anyone. Obviously violating names continue in use and people complain when names in long use (that have always violated the rules) get changed. There are reports that some groups have used the naming rules as a blunt instrument to harass others.

    I don't go looking for names that violate the rules, and most likely ones based on slang would go right past me, as would ones based on popular media (TV especially). But when I see a blatant example that obviously violates the rules, I report it.

    Malum in se is something that is wrong in itself. Murder, for example. Theft. Something which is inherently and essentially evil, that is immoral in it's nature and injurious in it's consequences, without any regard to the fact of it's being noticed or punshed by the law.

    By all means, 'report' that which is Malum in se.
    There is a case going on in New York at present. A couple of Orthodox Rabbis are in the dock for beating men up when paid by the wives. The reason is that the husbands won't give their wife a get that would permit a divorce in Jewish law.

    Are these guys heinous criminals or heroic fighters for women's rights? Do you want random passersby making that determination?

    Yeah...not an analogy, but the line between "wrong in itself" and "wrong just because we say so" may not be as definitive as you might think.

    Now let me introduce another term. 'Malum prohibitum'. This is a thing which is wrong BECAUSE it is prohibited. Being able to possess one plant and not another for example. A pocket full of dried dandelion won't get you anything. A pocket full of another dried plant will get you years in jail. What's the difference? Nothing. Malum prohibitum. One is verboten, one is not.Why? Becuase some 'higher authority' says so. It doesn't make it any more or less right, or more or less wrong. And just because you are on the side of a current rule, doesn't make you 'right'. People will frequently support something, just because it jibes with their current beliefs. If it was in opposition to their beliefs, they would not support it, regardless of whether it was 'policy', 'the rules', 'the law', etc.
    Sometimes the most effective way to change policy is by actually adhering to one you don't like. That's pretty much why Prop. 13 passed in California. The County Assessors were actually doing their jobs and a lot of people didn't like the results.

    Perhaps the way to get Turbine to fish or cut bait on names would be to report *every* name that violates the rules.

  7. #82
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    10,510
    Quote Originally Posted by masumane View Post
    Also can we please stop this "think of the children" garbage

    I am not going to start pandering to 7 year olds, this is an online video game, not a day care center.
    Correct. This game has an ESRB rating of "T" with a suggested minimum age of 13.

    However, at 64 *I* consider drug reference names to be out of place.

  8. #83
    Im getting a bit tired of this issue.

    http://support.turbine.com/link/port...-Naming-Policy

    Thats the naming policy. I specifically quote:

    Policy Enforcement

    There is a Zero Tolerance rule in effect for the following name violations:

    Sexually explicit, defamatory, obscene, racially or ethnically offensive names or slang.
    Common names, slang or references to drug related substances, culture or paraphernalia.
    Names causing harm, mockery or imitation of Lord of the Rings Online players or NPCs, in addition to Turbine, Inc. employees, past or present.


    Drug related names are part of the zero tolerance policy by the owner of the server. Anyone who wishes to report a drug related name can do so, and should get our full support, regardless of what you think is "overreacting" or not, simply because this is what has been laid down by Turbine to keep the servers clean, the populace happy, and everyone getting along nicely.

    Turbine will then look at the name, and deceide what to do with it.
    Roses are red, Polar bears are white, if you meet one at night you'll get quite a fright.

  9. #84
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Middle-earth
    Posts
    1,839
    If it disturbs me enough personally to bother, I will report. I don't consider reporting someone who disturbs me personally as ratting out. It's the personal disturbance factor that 'unrats the ratting' to me. That said, I have yet to report a player, I don't get disturbed that easily.

    If it is a kinnie and the kin-leader thinks it's no biggee while it is a biggee to me, that looks like a prime candidate for a dealbreaker, unless it becomes clear I missunderstood something and shouldn't be experiencing the biggee. So I'd likely be leaving the kin and even so, regardless what the kin-leader thinks I'd still report. If that prompts the kin-leader to kick me out, that's okay: I respect dealbreakers to work in two directions. No drama, just farewells and agreeing to disagree.

    Still everyone has a personal line people shouldn't cross making it their personal prerogative to report, and if that personal line turns out to be incompatible with your kin, it may be time to agree to disagree and say farewell.

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sylvan kingdom
    Posts
    707
    Quote Originally Posted by whheydt View Post

    Perhaps the way to get Turbine to fish or cut bait on names would be to report *every* name that violates the rules.
    Ye have a very valid point here.

    I just have this thing about personal responsibility and running to Mommy to solve things for us. It's not typically considered 'good behavior' of an otherwise civilized and free people.

    We should be able to handle things on our own, regardless of any 'policy', etc, except in perhaps extreme circumstances.

    I've seen names that were beyond horrendous on max level toons. Names with overt sexual references, usually paired with such colorfully and blithingly ignorantly designed titles such as 'The Up and Comer' (Epic win on that title, Turbine. Someone was surely asleep at the design wheel there...) Years later, the names, and characters, are still there, even when I know they've been 'reported'. Some many multiples of times.

    Here's the thing. If I posted a screenshot here in the forums of one of names and titles that I'm referencing above, *I* would get a forum violation for the content. However, the offender in question would not get their name changed. How's that even remotely right on any level?

    So yea, it's moot. Even when reported the policy is seldom enforced, even when it is overtly and egregiously violated. And I can't even say the name or show you a picture without violating policy, yet the violator in question goes unimpeded regardless of whether or not it's been reported.

    But you are right. Perhaps starting a 'global' campaign and reporting every single nasty name one finds en masse will indeed force them to, as my father used to say... Poo or get off the pot on this issue.
    Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar, tenn’ Ambar-metta!

  11. #86
    As a kin leader, if one of my officers reported a kinnie who I had no issue with it and did it without even a heads up so we can discuss it...well that officer would be gone

    Just my 2 cents...which it might not even be worth
    Nothing to see here...

  12. #87
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Gallifrey. I need a Jelly Baby.
    Posts
    18,360
    Quote Originally Posted by Agron5 View Post
    As a kin leader, if one of my officers reported a kinnie who I had no issue with it and did it without even a heads up so we can discuss it...well that officer would be gone

    Just my 2 cents...which it might not even be worth
    Oh I would drop him in a heart beat. One of my on people going behind my back? Hellllllllllllllllll no.......
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

  13. #88
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,495
    Quote Originally Posted by Agron5 View Post
    As a kin leader, if one of my officers reported a kinnie who I had no issue with it and did it without even a heads up so we can discuss it...well that officer would be gone

    Just my 2 cents...which it might not even be worth
    But how would you know who it was if they didn't tell you? Reports are anonymous, and even if someone points fingers, there's no proof. Anybody on the server could have seen the name and reported it.

    The officers and members of my kin are independent adults, and the idea that they should have to come running to me for permission to do what they believe is right is just plain silly from my perspective. Following the rules of the game is something so basic that I don't want someone in my kin who can't understand that concept. Middle-school drama about things like 'going behind my back' isn't something I'm concerned with. All I need from my kin is that they relax and enjoy the game while being polite and following the rules.

  14. #89
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    10,510
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaynith View Post
    I've seen names that were beyond horrendous on max level toons. Names with overt sexual references, usually paired with such colorfully and blithingly ignorantly designed titles such as 'The Up and Comer' (Epic win on that title, Turbine. Someone was surely asleep at the design wheel there...) Years later, the names, and characters, are still there, even when I know they've been 'reported'. Some many multiples of times.
    If the name is really that bad, and you know it's been reported with no effect, then perhaps a PM to Sapience documenting those facts *might* have some results. You most likely wouldn't get a response, and you certainly wouldn't be told whether or not any action was taken, but if you add that character to your "friends" list, together with a note of what the offensive name is, checking back later would show if it got changed.

  15. #90
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,677
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaynith View Post
    You're likely only supporting that line of thought because it agrees with your belief...
    OK... so what? My "belief" is that I hate the smell of cigarette smoke, so I help improve my environment when I can by "supporting the rules". Or by enforcing them myself (at least on my property).

    I don't buy this statistical malarkey about "second-hand" smoke being dangerous to my health - I just don't like it. It smells bad, hangs around in fabrics for weeks, irritates my eyes. If businesses want to offer a smoking environment for their customers, fine by me - but I'll never go there.

    On the other end of that stick are my neighborhood covenants. I agreed to them when we moved in here 20 years ago, and find my self on the other end of a "report" by someone in the neighborhood now and again (usually for someone in my house parking a car out on the street). And while it may not be particularly "neighborly" for someone to anonymously report something like that, I just have another talk with my kids (and their friends) and ask them to always park in the driveway. I agreed to those rules, and I'll abide by them as best I can. Why? Because I'm an adult, and my word should actually mean something.

    The people playing this game have agreed to abide by the rules here. Breaking those rules and then whining about the consequences is for 12 year olds. Not adults.

    Khafar
    Last edited by Khafar; Oct 15 2013 at 03:40 AM.

  16. #91
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    93
    If the name is indeed a reference to an illegal drug (or a trademarked drug name such as Viagra, Cialis, etc), then just report it and let Turbine sort it out since it IS listed in their Terms of Service to not do this and the person clearly ignored that. The individual would have absolutely no way of knowing WHO turned them in, since Turbine doesn't tell them and also doesn't tell the person reporting it what's happened to the one they reported. After all, if the offender is traipsing all over the game, any number of 4711 people (random number there) could've reported their name.

    Sometimes the GM who responds might not get it at first what the name might be saying too. I once had to report Goodbudz Hookahsmokah and had a GM ask me why I reported that. I replied "Because the person's name is saying 'good buds hookah(shisha) smoker', referring not only to pot but to pot-smoking devices"... Not all GMs 1st language is English, so unless something is really clear as to why I reported the name, I also list what the name is getting around directly saying. Although I never will figure out how someone recently got away with the name "A**whole" a couple weeks ago.... *(stars used so I don't get in trouble) Even the GM was amazed that got through the filter.

    Anyway, if a name is in violation, just report it (explain WHY you reported it) and let Turbine take care of it.

    On Arkenstone we once had someone name themself Dirty(f-word with 2 or 3 Ks) . After I reported that name, the GM re-named them Dirtyflower. Now, normally neither I nor anyone else would know that. How did everyone know? Because Dirtyflower hollered all over the place about who f*****g changed his name, who the f had the right to do it, people should mind their own f*****g business, whine whine whine....well, a GM logged in and said over public channel: Dirtyflower won't have to worry about the injustice any more because Dirtyflower is now pushing up daisies....(ie: the GM deleted the toon) and if any of the rest of us wanted to curse in public channels, there might be more daisies being pushed up....whee! I haven't laughed that hard in a while! Sometimes people never cease to amaze me with their stupidity!!
    Tanais @ Arkenstone

  17. #92
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by whheydt View Post
    Correct. This game has an ESRB rating of "T" with a suggested minimum age of 13.

    However, at 64 *I* consider drug reference names to be out of place.
    +1 /sign etc

    With the hundreds of thousands of words we have in just our English language dictionaries alone, if someone can't come up with a name that isn't a curse, a racial epithet, a drug reference or some tv star's name, etc....

    GO BACK TO SCHOOL....and LEARN something more than Junk.
    Tanais @ Arkenstone

  18. #93
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrynor View Post
    Im getting a bit tired of this issue.

    http://support.turbine.com/link/port...-Naming-Policy

    Thats the naming policy. I specifically quote:

    Policy Enforcement

    There is a Zero Tolerance rule in effect for the following name violations:

    Sexually explicit, defamatory, obscene, racially or ethnically offensive names or slang.
    Common names, slang or references to drug related substances, culture or paraphernalia.
    Names causing harm, mockery or imitation of Lord of the Rings Online players or NPCs, in addition to Turbine, Inc. employees, past or present.


    Drug related names are part of the zero tolerance policy by the owner of the server. Anyone who wishes to report a drug related name can do so, and should get our full support, regardless of what you think is "overreacting" or not, simply because this is what has been laid down by Turbine to keep the servers clean, the populace happy, and everyone getting along nicely.

    Turbine will then look at the name, and deceide what to do with it.
    +1 /sign etc to this as well

    Don't like the game's rules(and really, this is a SIMPLE one!), people can make their OWN game and their OWN rules. Just let me know ahead of time so I don't have to go there.
    Tanais @ Arkenstone

  19. #94
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    3,502
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanais-Greenleaf View Post
    Dirtyflower is now pushing up daisies
    A cautionary tale of riveting beauty = )

    I notice that people who make friends and are excellent fellows can get away with a lot more by way of character names and occasionally stepping over the line - as it's a user-driven rule enforcement thing, I think this works rather well. However, if you made some bitter enemy, with a horrible name covered by the above mentioned policies, you're a wide-open report target.

    I doubt mr Dirtyflower in the above example ever was a very nice and great buddy but if someone had nipped him in the bud (as it were), chances are he would not have gone berserk and would now be playing the game.

  20. #95
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanais-Greenleaf View Post
    On Arkenstone we once had someone name themself Dirty(f-word with 2 or 3 Ks) ....
    Made my day, hadnt had so good laugh for some time.
    .
    Thank you, Turbine, for listening and giving us an opt-out of FE! Good work!

  21. #96
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Gorleston, Norfolk, England
    Posts
    514
    Quote Originally Posted by theFragmagnet View Post
    Do what *you* think is right. Personally I reported plenty of names back in the day on XBOX Live. Plenty of folks would argue "It's not hurting you" or "Legalize it" or whatever. Don't care. It's against the rules and I have the mechanism to report violations.

    My experience with online gaming (for many years) shows that people that put "controversial" topics in their online names are just looking for attention...or a soapbox.
    And my experience from the complaints reported by those admitting to reporting them on various forums etc seem to fall into 3 categories.

    0.01% are genuinely offended and these people should not be near the internet because they will be offended by almost every thing they see or read.
    90% think it's trendy to be offended and are usually taking offence on behalf of a section of society that has no problem with what's been said.
    9.99% just get a buzz out of complaining and actively look for things to shout about.


    In nearly all cases they are hypocrites in one way or another, something they don't like they complain about, but something they like and someone else doesn't well thats a different matter altogether.

    It's fine to act out scenes of violence and killing, but lets report a name that someone's having a joke with and no one else seems to have taken any offence to at all.

    If only there were more important things to worry about???????

  22. #97
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Gorleston, Norfolk, England
    Posts
    514
    There is of course always the possibility that a name which one person deems offensive in their country, isn't in the country where the accounts held.

    Then there's those names that are usually used in an offensive jokey way, but people do actually have those names.

    For example

    I had a school teacher called Mike Hunt
    And at another school I went to there was a teacher called Mr Lunt

    There are actual people called such humorous names as
    Haywood Jablome
    Willie Stroker

    Then there's actual people that have names that could be seen as drug related

    Herb Bush


    Then there's names such as

    Ganja, which is a town in Azerbaijan and a province in Iran



    When I was on Eldar before we joined the US servers , my main character was called Sneakaboo and I was called boo for short and every character of mine had boo in its name somewhere.
    Some of my kin decided to move to the US servers before we new Codemasters was loosing their licence, and we joined Riddermark.
    When I introduced myself as boo, I got a lot of funny remarks as it turns out unbeknown to me, boo is some sort of ghetto slang in the US, hence I'm now known as sneak.


    What really gets me with things like this is if someone is genuinely offended, just do something about it, report it to a GM if you feel you must, no one else will know, to start posting in the forum about it is exactly the sort of thing that drives me nuts, bringing attention to something you don't like.

    The thing is, people that complain they find things offensive probably offend others every day of their lives, I don't know, say because they blasphemed in chat and the person reading it is Christian, or is it OK to offend as long as it's not against the rules?

    No one would be able to say anything ever if we were never to offend anyone.
    Last edited by Glumposneak; Oct 15 2013 at 07:42 AM.

  23. #98
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sylvan kingdom
    Posts
    707
    Quote Originally Posted by Glumposneak View Post
    There is of course always the possibility that a name which one person deems offensive in their country, isn't in the country where the accounts held.

    What really gets me with things like this is if someone is genuinely offended, just do something about it, report it to a GM if you feel you must, no one else will know, to start posting in the forum about it is exactly the sort of thing that drives me nuts, bringing attention to something you don't like.

    The thing is, people that complain they find things offensive probably offend others every day of their lives, I don't know, say because they blasphemed in chat and the person reading it is Christian, or is it OK to offend as long as it's not against the rules?

    No one would be able to say anything ever if we were never to offend anyone.
    Aye. It's all about 'personal responsibility'. That doesn't go over well with a lot of folks.

    Here's how I've found people tend to work: If they agree with something they'll tout that it's 'Against the rules!' from now until the cows come home.

    if they disagree with something, they'll ignore the rules and do what they want anyway, and keep it on the lowdown. Whether it's breaking the law speeding, or breaking a covenant they signed their name to abide by. A study of humanity, is the study of hypocrisy.
    Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar, tenn’ Ambar-metta!

  24. #99
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,677
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaynith View Post
    if they disagree with something, they'll ignore the rules and do what they want anyway...
    If I break the rules (which is uncommon, but does happen), I take responsibility for it. I don't complain about consequences, and I don't cry about others actually applying the rules. Nor do I apologize when I'm helping to apply those rules - like here. Laws/rules are part of the foundation for civil societies. Each and every one doesn't need my personal OK before I'll try to abide by them.

    If you name your character "MDMArocks" and someone reports you for it, you'll get a forced name change. That's 100% on you. Not on the person who reported you, and not on the company who applied its own rules.

    Khafar
    Last edited by Khafar; Oct 15 2013 at 11:59 AM.

  25. #100
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sylvan kingdom
    Posts
    707
    Let me share a short story. Bear with me here, it has a point that I think folks will benefit from, otherwise I'd not have taken the time to type it up. I don't type just to see myself speak.

    I worked with someone once upon a time that gave me a bit of good advice that I'll share with ya'll here. It might give a bit of perspective on all this.

    It was back when Marilyn Manson was new on the music scene, mid 90's or so. Anyway, he said, hey, have you heard of MM? I said no, who's that?

    So he played it for me. I thought it was... different, kinda maybe a bit offensive. I wasn't sure I hated it, but I wasn't sure I liked it either. Something... else... was holding me back from making a definitive decision in that regard. It was my upbringing. Such music was 'verboten'.

    He said that he thought the same thing, as he'd had a rather 'structured' and regimented upbringing. But he said the thing that he learned in life was that if something offends you, move your line.

    I was like... seriously? Yep. It's just that simple, he tells me.

    Why does the line exist? Because we created it. Why did we create it? Because of someone else's opinon, usually our parents, etc.

    Every generation makes their own lines, based in part from influence from the previous generation. But eventually something must give. Whereas views from one generation to the next may be somewhat compatible and overlapping, views from generations that are two levels apart almost never mesh. Grandkids and grandparents, for example. Try to get one to understand the other's point of view, and you'll have some pretty large difficulties. The elders think the youth are ignorant and disrespectful, and the youth think the elders are old fashioned, restrained, and boring. They're both right.

    But back to the concept of this line in the sand.

    Your line is the invisible barrier between you, and reality. It's an artificial construct. Now whilst that line serves a purpose, such as preventing people from doing bad things, such as murder, theft, etc, there's plenty of 'grayscale' in there to play with. Plenty of 'wiggle room', if ye will. The truly bad things are the only time that line should stay static. Everything else, if something comes up that crosses your line, make an evaluation of whether you are getting upset because it's worth getting upset over, or whether it's the tonal of the times or your 'expected' response to such a thing that is driving your knee-jerk reaction to being offended.

    If something truly offends you... Dragon Up... and move your line a bit. Then you'll be able to enjoy things without them affecting you in a negative manner. Mind your own business, and let others mind theirs. It's a very healthy thing to do.

    But seriously, if folks are getting truly wound up and 'offended' about a name in an online game? It's time to move some lines, for your own well being.

    There are plenty of real and dire issues in the world to 'take a stand' on, and have a very firm line in the sand in regards to. This surely isn't one of them.
    Last edited by Kaynith; Oct 15 2013 at 12:32 PM.
    Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar, tenn’ Ambar-metta!

 

 
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload