We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    To all of you folks in favor of reporting this guy for having an out-of-bounds name.
    The entire system depends on player reporting, so it's a little silly to berate people who actually participate in that system. I may only report about one name a year, but if someone else is reporting a name a week... fine by me. That'll result in fewer out-of-bound names.

Khafar

Life is life in game or otherwise! Ratting folks out Is a lousy thing to do. In real life the system is the same way, but I don't go running to call the cops over every little thing. Worrying about such petty stuff and running to the GM is kid stuff. I am just glad I don't know you and your not a friend or neighbor of mine I would not want to be in a guild with a goodie two shoes like that. I hope your Kin leader finds out you ratted on him and boots you right out of the kin.

Your a drama seeker looking to cause trouble. No body can tell me the a few letters above someone head in a game can hurt anyone really! u need to grow a pair, get a bit thicker skin in this life. You start ratting on folks now because you feel safe on the other side of your PC.

I bet there more to it too maybe the Leader is hanging out more wit the new guy and your jealous and just want to get the other guy kicked. I would bet my life this is not about being the good Samaritan. Rats always have something there up to behind someone back. I would not even have posted on something like this. Your just looking for a another rat to tell you its ok to be a rat. I bet you dot a lot a swirlies back in high school too!

I was a guild leader for 2 years in DDO and I know the type drama queens trouble makers. Just play your game and mind your own P&Q's and stop trying to upset the apple cart! Before I tell your mama on you !! *lol*

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    I may be wrong(I'm on my phone as I type this), but I believe the age requirement to play LOTRO is 13.
    Well...it's not a *requirment*, but it is the ESRB Rating, and--thus--a recommendation. I'd say it varies somewhat with the minor. There are undoubtedly 13-year-olds for which the game isn't appropriate, just as there are undoubtedly 10-year-olds who can handle it just fine.

Oddly enough on the thread topic, it is likely that the younger kids wouldn't get the references, the mid-teens through 20s (and possibly 30s) will be mildly amused, and the older gamers will look askance and consider drug references out of bounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Fearless.one View Post
    Mind your own business if then leader don't care who are u to come here crying like a baby that skinned his knee.
    As a kin officer, it IS his business. If the kin leader doesn't care, that's a black mark against the kin leader. The last thing any kinship that isn't just in the game to run roughshod over everyone else, is a member who flaunts the game rules. For an officer to take action *before* there is a problem is a perfectly reasonable approach.

Ratting folks out Is a lousy thing to do.
    Depends. In real life, I'm not about to "rat folks out" over a paint color which violates the neighborhood covenants (yes, we actually have those where I live). But should my neighbor start throwing loud parties at all hours of the night, I'll talk to him first and see if I can convince him to be more reasonable. If not... I'll "rat him out" in a heartbeat. Why? Because he's being a grade-A jerk, and deserves it, that's why. And if I learn that he's selling drugs out of that house, he can forget about the neighborly talk first - I'll just call the police.

Games aren't real life, and don't have real-life consequences, which is why I let most things slide. However, there's little point to even having any rules if they're not going to be enforced, and the way these will be enforced is if people are reported for breaking them. I have far more problems with the people deliberately breaking the rules than with those doing the reporting.

Khafar

Quote Originally Posted by Khafar View Post
    Depends. In real life, I'm not about to "rat folks out" over a paint color which violates the neighborhood covenants (yes, we actually have those where I live). But should my neighbor start throwing loud parties at all hours of the night, I'll talk to him first and see if I can convince him to be more reasonable. If not... I'll "rat him out" in a heartbeat. Why? Because he's being a grade-A jerk, and deserves it, that's why. And if I learn that he's selling drugs out of that house, he can forget about the neighborly talk first - I'll just call the police.

Games aren't real life, and don't have real-life consequences, which is why I let most things slide. However, there's little point to even having any rules if they're not going to be enforced, and the way these will be enforced is if people are reported for breaking them. I have far more problems with the people deliberately breaking the rules than with those doing the reporting.

Khafar
    Well U might think so but after running a fairly large guild for 2 year I found stuff like this tears guild and kins apart nothing more this is just a name a few letters nothing more I don't like censorship anyway and if the guy don't like the guys name he is free to go to another kinship it just to petty to go running the the GM. Like is to short for such nonsense. There is not a word on the planet the can hurt anyone is just a work not the A bomb that the problem in this world today everyone get offended over everything. Well I am offended that they get offended so what anyone going to do about that Nothing right !! thatr about what needs to be done about this too Nothing forget it and go on with life its just not important.

Some rules are just made to make thin skin people happy and to make the rest of annoyed with making them happy. If this was such a bad violation Then LOTRO bot should have caught it if not don't stress over it.

Peaple need to get back to the idea of live and let live and just stop all the useless quibbling over stuff that just not important.

Bet you 10 buck this guy reports this will start a kin drama I would bet my life on it!

Quote Originally Posted by whheydt View Post
    As a kin officer, it IS his business. If the kin leader doesn't care, that's a black mark against the kin leader. The last thing any kinship that isn't just in the game to run roughshod over everyone else, is a member who flaunts the game rules. For an officer to take action *before* there is a problem is a perfectly reasonable approach.

Your kidding right a black mark on the leader? It his kin is this guy don't like it he should move along he's in the wrong kin. There are lots of kinship that have adult humor adult language and such. Officer in the kin that a joke there there to do as the kin leader says or move along to find a kin that fits him not change the kin to make it fit his wants.

The leader could do himself a big favor and punt the little drama queen out before he causes more trouble and would be sure enough he will cause more trouble them drama seekers always do.

It a name nothing more who cares I sure don't. Look its starting Drama here already Phuu That what happens when u get a few wanting to tell the rest how to live.

The way I look at it is, if you see something u don't like. Look the other way, If you hear something U don't like turn the volume down change the channel or go someplace you don't have to hear it. Its real simple that is called freedom

Your kidding right a black mark on the leader? It his kin is this guy don't like it he should move along he's in the wrong kin. There are lots of kinship that have adult humor adult language and such. Officer in the kin that a joke there there to do as the kin leader says or move along to find a kin that fits him not change the kin to make it fit his wants.

The leader could do himself a big favor and punt the little drama queen out before he causes more trouble and would be sure enough he will cause more trouble them drama seekers always do.

It a name nothing more who cares I sure don't. Look its starting Drama here already Phuu That what happens when u get a few wanting to tell the rest how to live.

The way I look at it is, if you see something u don't like. Look the other way, If you hear something U don't like turn the volume down change the channel or go someplace you don't have to hear it. Its real simple that is called freedom

At this moment the only person causing any drama appears to be you. Sorry just calling it as I see it. You sure seem to be getting all worked up over this topic. Maybe take a few deep breaths?

The OP has 2 choices, either report the name or don't , but in any case it is thier choice to make. Not ours!

I think the OP should do what they feel is best for themself!

Its real simple that is called freedom
    Let introduce you to the concept of "the public square". You can be offensive as you like--in private. In public, if you are offensive there may be consequences.

And, by the way, if a GM happens to check that "adult language kin chat" even without a report (which GMs *can* do), there will be consequences there as well. *Everything* in the game belongs to Turbine, even so-called "private" chat channels.

Well I am offended that they get offended so what anyone going to do about that Nothing right !!
    Correct. There is no rule which says "you have a right not to be offended by anything". However, there is a rule which says "You may not name your characters after drugs or drug paraphernalia". And if someone gets a name change because they did that, they really have nobody to blame but themselves.

I break rules (mostly the speed limit) sometimes. But if I get caught doing so, it would be foolish and immature of me to blame the police, someone who called the police about me speeding in their neighborhood, etc. That's all on me. I know what the speed limits are, and choose to break them anyway on occasion. Complaining about paying the consequences is childish whining, pure and simple.

Khafar
    Last edited by Khafar; Oct 13 2013 at 04:19 AM.

If you have a problem, no matter what it is, in a kin you first bring it up with an officer and/or the leader. If it is such a sticking point with you then you leave the kin and find one more suitable to your tastes.

This is a global game though, not everything you think of as illegal is illegal everywhere. Even in America certain stuff is "legal" in specific states that are not in others, be that drugs, couples, riding your donkey backwards on main street...whatever.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/02204000000042262/signature.png]Korova[/charsig]

You know Heroine has a different meaning to heroin right?

I cannot agree with thinking about the children when it comes to playing MMOs. I may be wrong(I'm on my phone as I type this), but I believe the age requirement to play LOTRO is 13.

When my kids were young I never played games with any adult material like MMO chat when they were around. That's the parents responsibility. Not Turbine.
    There's a great piece of satire aimed at the hysteria roused up in the UK media circa 80's & 90's particularly a lets "save the children" vibe. It's called brass eye and it's well worth a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldarian_Grace View Post
    You know Heroine has a different meaning to heroin right?
    It would be worth some giggles if the name in question would actually be "Foo Bar, Heroine of the Ashen wastes" or some another title starting with Heroine =)

Oor imagine that the name is about some other illegal thing, not a Drug. "Foo Bar, steals candy from shops"

Quote Originally Posted by Aranglas View Post
    He has an offensive name. He clearly breaks the rules and in particular the one regarding drug reference. Report him. It is every player's duty to do so when he comes across something which is against the rules and doing so will only make the game better.
    However, there is no need to go around being a "rule enforcer" and reporting everyone that breaks a rule. There is a difference between reporting to help the community and reporting just because you can.
    Last edited by Selebrimbor; Oct 13 2013 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Grammatical Incorrectness

Let introduce you to the concept of "the public square". You can be offensive as you like--in private. In public, if you are offensive there may be consequences.

And, by the way, if a GM happens to check that "adult language kin chat" even without a report (which GMs *can* do), there will be consequences there as well. *Everything* in the game belongs to Turbine, even so-called "private" chat channels.
    Public space and freedom with responsibility! Brilliant things to adhere to!

(that was all I wanted to say, carry on)

Anybody know how this goes? Does the drugged-based name get a forced rename? Does our busybody leave the kin?

Some notes from DDO:

There was at least one server that had rather large and active guild that was obviously a play on a drug. Judging by the wording listed of the EULA in this thread they probably were ok by the word of the agreement (as far as I know it isn't a common expression. It just was more an obvious double-entendre about said drug and their use of it).

As far as BIGMASCULINEORGAN, I've seen close enough for government work on another (ddo) character. Suffice it to say that the one time I grouped with him the rest of the group were impressed that he managed to keep a low enough profile to keep the name. This wasn't in the newbie area either, so I'd assume that the character name lasted as long as the player wanted (and avoided offending anybody who might use it against him).

Quote Originally Posted by Khafar View Post
    I know people grumble about forced renames, but you know what the penalty was for especially vile/racist names in their first game (Asheron's Call)? Deleting the character. This was of course a fairly effective deterrent .

Khafar
    At first I assumed that such a thing wouldn't be such a deterrent: you would get caught early enough that a reroll wouldn't be much of a threat. Then I remembered reading about some license plates that you needed to google before you would believe they were as bad as the MVA said they were ... at least one of them was easily bad enough to warrant the whole character deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Selebrimbor View Post
    However, there is no need to go around being a "rule enforcer" and reporting everyone that breaks a rule. There is a difference between reporting to help the community and reporting just because you can.
    Hmmm....

/looks at posters screen name.

Thinks about the common misunderstanding about how Elvish names are properly pronounced.

/looks at the naming rules.

Good thing this is the Forums and not in game.

Hmmm....

Thinks about the common misunderstanding about how Elvish names are properly pronounced.

I don't get it.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    [I][FONT=comic sans ms][COLOR=#ffff00]Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check[/COLOR][/FONT][/I]

I don't get it.
    I think he means that that user thought Celebrimbor is pronounced as Selebrimbor, when it is actually pronounced Kelebrimbor.

Sorry about the double post but I am on my phone right now. I thought about this a bit. I am in supervision at my work. When a topic comes up regarding one of the workers I take it up with my boss, the actual management. Sometimes they take action and sometimes they say let it be, its not a big deal. When my boss tells me to let it be, I do exactly that. If I cannot deal with it, I am welcome to get another job somewhere else. But it stays between me and the upper mamagement. Same thing here. The kin officer had absolutley no business bringing this subject here in the forums. What ever he did, it should have stayed in house no matter what the final decision is. I'm glad I'm not in that kin.

Sorry for the bad typing.

Quote Originally Posted by SjsharksBoy View Post
    I think he means that that user thought Celebrimbor is pronounced as Selebrimbor, when it is actually pronounced Kelebrimbor.
    Correct. C is K in Middle Earth. Never S. Keleborn, Kirith-whatever, etc.

To the OP...

How do you know the name was an 'obvious' drug reference?

I'll give an example...

Say a character has a name of 'Endolover'

What does this mean? Is it a drug reference?

Most people would instantly think so. Some would find it funny, and some, like you, would instantly freak out and try to play nanny state.

Well, what is 'Endo'?

The word has many meanings, including slang.

Endo is a language in Kenya, for one. So this could refer to the individual loving the language.

It's also a metal band. So they could be a fan of the band.

It could be someone's last name. Yasuhito Endo, for example. It is a VERY ancient Japanese surname. Far, far, predating any 'drug' reference.

It could be a Japanese sumo wrestler reference.

It is also slang for a pharmaceutical pain reliever comprised of oxycodone and acetaminophen.

It's also slang for everyone's favoritely demonized plant product here in the states, usually synonymous with Peter Parker's girlfriend.

So which would someone be referring to, with such a name?

People get all bend out of shape over nothing, and then wonder why the world is going to rot.

What's 'obvious' to someone as a drug reference may just be their particular, and perhaps ignorant, point of view.

Remember, it's: Ready, Aim, Fire. Not: Ready, Fire, Aim.

Sorry about the double post but I am on my phone right now. I thought about this a bit. I am in supervision at my work. When a topic comes up regarding one of the workers I take it up with my boss, the actual management. Sometimes they take action and sometimes they say let it be, its not a big deal. When my boss tells me to let it be, I do exactly that. If I cannot deal with it, I am welcome to get another job somewhere else. But it stays between me and the upper management. Same thing here. The kin officer had absolutely no business bringing this subject here in the forums. What ever he did, it should have stayed in house no matter what the final decision is. I'm glad I'm not in that kin.

Sorry for the bad typing.
    I absolutely and wholeheartedly agree. If you are an Officer in a kin, and the boss says it's not an issue, then it's not an issue. End of discussion. You don't go behind the kin leader's back.

We're not talking about being witness to a murder here with the officer trying to do the 'right' thing, and the kin leader covering it up. We're talking about a simply management policy decision, in a video game, of all things. The Officer brought it up, and el Jefe said don't sweat it, it's not a big deal, leave it be. The Officer (the OP) didn't like that decision, so they decided to go behind the kin leader's back anyway.

If you violate the chain of command, you better have a darn good, and nearly life threatening reason to do so. And even then, you still might not be justified.

If you were in my kin, OP, I'd boot you. Instantly. For egregious insubordination.

Hmmm....

Lol

I am well aware of what the forum rules are. You'll find many other names similar to others LoTR names here as well. But as you already pointed out, these are the forums....so what is your point?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaynith View Post
    I absolutely and wholeheartedly agree. If you are an Officer in a kin, and the boss says it's not an issue, then it's not an issue. End of discussion. You don't go behind the kin leader's back.
    I have to disagree.

If it were a matter of internal rules of the kinship, then I'd agree with you that the kin leader telling the officer to let the violation go and the officer doing so would be the correct course of action. In this case, though, the rules in question are not those of the kin, but of Turbine, a "higher authority". The kin leader doesn't get to make decisions concerning Turbine's rules. The officer is free to use his own discretion to do what he sees fit. The officer can consider the kin leaders opinion as input to his own decision, but it isn't properly what determines the correct course of action.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast