We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Is it Elementary to dig this show?

Reckon there should be some Sherlock Holmes fans amongst us. I have the collected edition myself and have read every story several times through.

Wondering if any of y'all are watching the show Elementary who also happen to be a huge fan of the original stories. I was hesitant at first to learn one of my favorite series was being reimagined for a modern setting, but now I am surprised to find the show really growing on me. And I am thinking it's perfectly okay to like both for what they are.

Would love to hear what y'all think!
    Today is a good day for Pie.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

I was considering it, but then I was told by friends that Sherlock is much better than Elementary, so I decided to go for the former. But who knows, if I have time I may still dive into Elementary.
    [I]In the sea without lees standeth the Bird of Hermes.
    [/I][I]When all his feathers be from him gone, He standeth still here as a stone.
    Here is now both white and red, And all so the stone to quicken the dead[/I][I].
    The Bird of Hermes is my name, Eating my wings to make me tame.[/I]

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofHermes View Post
    I was considering it, but then I was told by friends that Sherlock is much better than Elementary, so I decided to go for the former. But who knows, if I have time I may still dive into Elementary.
    Sherlock is a lot more faithful to the source material, but I find Elementary to be the better show. Sherlock is far more faithful to the source material (although both are modern day adaptations). However, the characters in Elementary have far more depth.

If you want a more comprehensive evaluation (that I generally agree with): http://nerdophiles.com/2013/07/05/wh...-our-favorite/

Quote Originally Posted by bambubambubambu View Post
    Reckon there should be some Sherlock Holmes fans amongst us. I have the collected edition myself and have read every story several times through.

Wondering if any of y'all are watching the show Elementary who also happen to be a huge fan of the original stories. I was hesitant at first to learn one of my favorite series was being reimagined for a modern setting, but now I am surprised to find the show really growing on me. And I am thinking it's perfectly okay to like both for what they are.

Would love to hear what y'all think!
    If you're meaning the modern sherlock thingy then (if it's the one I'm thinking of) I beleave the guy who plays Wotson is also the actor of Bilbo in the new hobbit movie! Fun LOTR and Sherlock thing there...heh... but also if you love Sherlock holmes then you should watch the 1920 or something ones...it's SO static and hard to hear but they're actually really good!

Quote Originally Posted by ReadStar View Post
    If you're meaning the modern sherlock thingy then (if it's the one I'm thinking of) I beleave the guy who plays Wotson is also the actor of Bilbo in the new hobbit movie!
    Watson is played by Martin Freeman, who plays Bilbo in the movies. Also Benedict Cumberbatch who played Sherlock is going to be the voice of Smaug.

I love both shows, for somewhat different reasons.

Sherlock is a very pure retelling of the original Sherlock Holmes stories in modern times. They basically took the original story and timewarped it to today. So instead of writing monograms, Holmes writes blogs. He uses a smartphone to look up information. He rides around in cars rather then horse drawn taxis, and so on. Basically all they did take Holmes and set him in today's world without changing much about him. Watson is still an Army Doctor who has returned from Afghanistan. They live in 221b Bakers St. upstairs from Mrs Hudson, but in this case she's their landlord not the maid.

Elementary on the other hand is a reinvention of Sherlock Holmes if he lived today. It doesn't stay pure to the original stories, it changes a fair amount. Holmes in Elementary for example has sex, and was a heroin addict. Watson is a woman who wasn't an Army doctor.

But with all the changes, it stays very true to the spirit of the Holmes stories, and who he was.

So if you want a very accurate retelling of the stories in today's world, then Sherlock is the better option. If you want to see a show about Sherlock Holmes as he might be today, then Elementary works well too.

There is one last thing that Elementary has over Sherlock. There are a total of 6 episodes of Sherlock with season 3 not releasing until Jan 2014, and very likely that there will not be a season 4.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000023bdbd/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]