We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

VIP but doesn't have full access??

I'm a subscriber/VIP but know that I've reached Moria I still have to buy access to do the quests there?
    I thought the VIP status gave me full access. Is there no way to avoid having to buy access to regions?? Feeling ripped off

Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon
    Quote Originally Posted by wafflekit View Post
    I'm a subscriber/VIP but know that I've reached Moria I still have to buy access to do the quests there?
    I thought the VIP status gave me full access. Is there no way to avoid having to buy access to regions?? Feeling ripped off
    Expansion packs have always been an additional cost for everyone, VIP or not.

• The Mines of Moria
    • Siege of Mirkwood
    • Rise of Isengard
    • Riders of Rohan
    • Helm's Deep (November 18 of this year)

are all expansion packs and require an additional purchase.

VIP gives you rental access to all non expansion content. All customers have to buy access to:

1) Mines of Moria - Moria
    2) Siege of Mirkwood - Mirkwood
    3) Rise of Isengard
    4) Riders of Rohan
    5) Helms Deep when it releases.

Being a subscriber gives you rental access to Angmar, Endewaith, Evendim, Eregion, Forochel, Great River, Lothlorien, North Downs, Misty Mountains, Trollshaws and Wildermore. Hopefully I did not forget any rental regions.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

meh ok. thanks.

meh ok. thanks.
    On a page like:
    https://www.lotro.com/en/game/vip
    which explains the VIP offer. You need to read the entire page. Especially the:
    Quote Originally Posted by VIP Offer
    * +100% XP for 30% of a level (daily upon login). ** Riders of Rohan™, Rise of Isengard™, Mines of Moria™ and Siege of Mirkwood™ are not included. Once you have activated your subscription your first month of FREE monthly Turbine Points (500 Points) should be applied within 48 hours of upgrading your account.
    stuff in the foot note at the end that is often called the terms, conditions and limitation.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

As a LTS, I always keep up on my expansions, so never had to play catch-up on obtaining previous content, but this makes me curious: Is each new expansion pack inclusive of previous expansions? Or would a new account have to buy each previous expansion separately? (I'm not really sure how the F2P/VIP access to content works, since I've never had to deal with it.)

The Everquest franchises are inclusive, but WoW requires buying previous expansions, unless they changed that with their last expac. I've never heard about LOTRO though, would be handy to know if any friends want to come and play.

Quote Originally Posted by Szul View Post
    As a LTS, I always keep up on my expansions, so never had to play catch-up on obtaining previous content, but this makes me curious: Is each new expansion pack inclusive of previous expansions? Or would a new account have to buy each previous expansion separately? (I'm not really sure how the F2P/VIP access to content works, since I've never had to deal with it.)

The Everquest franchises are inclusive, but WoW requires buying previous expansions, unless they changed that with their last expac. I've never heard about LOTRO though, would be handy to know if any friends want to come and play.
    LOTRO is not inclusive, but they are usually deals at various times. For example, at the moment I believe the Quad Pack (4 pre-HD expansions) is available for $10 on checkout when you buy HD digitally.

Also, pre-F2P past expansions were offered as sweeteners for subscription deals. For example, I got both Mines of Moria and Mirkwood at different times just for buying a 3 month sub. Obviously that was a different business model though, and so, offered different incentives.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0320200000048ef64/01003/signature.png]Rithwis[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Szul View Post

You have to buy each expansion. Right now they offer the first four for $39.99 in a package deal, I think. And I read somewhere in the forum that in the process of pre-ordering Helm's Deep that you get a one time chance to purchase all 4 for $20 instead, if you do not already have them.

WoW has not changed.
    [color=#48D1CC][b][i]Imladris[/i][/b][/color] - [color=#9370D8]Moravya[/color][color=#FFE4E1][i], 70 Lore-master[/i][/color]

The current policy is are that VIP members still need to pay extra for expansion packs although I must admit, if I was VIP I'd also be furious that I had to pay extra for Moria et al. I'm not sure that the monthly fee in perpituity is good value for game maintenance and the infrequent stand alone area.

I think that VIPs having to buy expansions is a bit lousy. But I would like to know if while your VIP are you Blocked from buying expansions if they are on sale like you are from other content. That was always so annoying that when I was VIP and a sale on content came up you could not buy it so being Vip waiting for sales until u could buy all the content can't be done. I always thought that was a bit bogus some how! I made me feel like that the 500 points a month you got being VIP was rather useless
    Completeness is the only way to play! No fast track ever! Xp Disable Toggle Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Fearless.one View Post
    I think that VIPs having to buy expansions is a bit lousy. But I would like to know if while your VIP are you Blocked from buying expansions if they are on sale like you are from other content. That was always so annoying that when I was VIP and a sale on content came up you could not buy it so being Vip waiting for sales until u could buy all the content can't be done. I always thought that was a bit bogus some how! I made me feel like that the 500 points a month you got being VIP was rather useless
    You can purchase the expansions on sale like anyone else. As a VIP, quest packs are not available as you technically "have" them, if only on rental. This is not the case with expansion content.
    [COLOR=#999999]Amirandir - 85 Runekeeper
    [/COLOR]

They did enable the ability to cancel VIP mid-month at our request at one point in time, but that ability was rescinded unfortunately. VIP is already a poor deal, the lack of ability to take advantage of sales on content (quest packs) makes it a significant liability.

It seems the best option is to VIP for one month and create all the classes/characters on all the servers you might want to unlock the upgraded Premium account status. Then be done. Buy TP on sale (a large enough package to reduce the cost and cover future purchases), then buy expansions as they come on sale, and enjoy what is effectively a pseudo-lifetime account, with no additional charges other than future expansions (as per a lifetime account), as well as unlocks for any future characters/classes you might desire and not have thought about beforehand.

VIP is renting, upgrading to Premium is owning.

If you are really squeezed for cash, the other option is to do that month of VIP when your alts are past 20 to get free riding skill instead of purchasing it from the store, and push through the next twenty plus levels to avoid purchasing Evendim (a couple days to get around 40ish), Angmar, Misty Mountains, etc. Then you may complete the free Volume I epic (which puts you into your 50s on it's own), and enter Moria (level 46), and do Moria non-epic quests when you purchase that expansion.) Mirkwood isn't required, doing free epics alone through there and Enedwaith will set you up for Isengard/Dunland, which you can start early 60s. However you will want to purchase Isengard, as it'll give you ten levels questing there, setting you up nicely for Rohan (71+ to get your warsteed). It's unknown yet if free epics alone through Rohan/Wildermore will get you enough XP to be 86+ to start Helm's Deep questing.

Realize though, the end game instances are being designed to be accessible at level 10+, so if that's your primary interest, there's little reason to do all that work, or pay all that money. Just get a character out of the intro, spend a half hour getting a few more levels, purchase the Helm's Deep expansion, and done, never even need purchase the riding skill. (If you are worried about being under-geared this way, don't be, the slot machine when you log in daily gives you gold gear for nothing, the best in the game, it doesn't take long to get a full set.)
    Link to our community LOTRO store google spreadsheet pricelist and conversion rates, please contribute too!: https://goo.gl/wxPqCm

Thumbs up

Do not forget that you can buy expansions with turbine points (TP). Since you get 500 TP every month as a VIP you can buy expansions without cash. Helms Deep costs 4295 as an example. Moria and the other expansions cost less and are on sale now and then.

They really should change the name from VIP because there's nothing really V.I.P. about having to spend even more money on top of a monthly subscription.

Quote Originally Posted by Eregond View Post
    Since you get 500 TP every month as a VIP you can buy expansions without cash. Helms Deep costs 4295 as an example.
    That's an odd thing to say, how much does nine months of VIP cost...how are you going to pay over a hundred bucks for it without spending cash?
    Link to our community LOTRO store google spreadsheet pricelist and conversion rates, please contribute too!: https://goo.gl/wxPqCm

Quote Originally Posted by RJFerret View Post
    That's an odd thing to say, how much does nine months of VIP cost...how are you going to pay over a hundred bucks for it without spending cash?
    By playing the game.

TPs are not $, since you can earn LOTS of TP while playing.
    For completing the low level deeds you can get ~500 TPs (there are sites with guides how to get most TPs out of the game).
    Deeds, metadeeds, reputation deeds ... they all grant TPs. So if you just play the low level free content, you get enough to buy the next region and to earn TPs there. As VIP the additional 500 bring you easily over the edge for the next area.

There are players at end level who are not even premium players, they played all the content without spending a dollar allthough I wished they did, some didn't unlock all the trait slots even.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbins View Post
    They really should change the name from VIP because there's nothing really V.I.P. about having to spend even more money on top of a monthly subscription.
    Oh, believe me, VIP for at least one month is well worth it, if only for unlocking all the trait slots.

I was F2P and my level 58 champ was having a tougher time than usual in Moria, even though I had him decently geared and spent way too much time on LIs. I went VIP yesterday for one month and was able to add 3 virtues, 5 class traits, and a second legendary trait, plus extra racial traits. He feels like a friggin god now in comparison to before.

That plus the unlocked swift-travel have made me a very happy camper right now.

I understand that paying every month can become a drain on the pocketbook, but as someone who just made the switch, it is well worth it.
    [B]Dwarrowdelf[/B]: Gufli-Champ(58), Gadhalion-Hunter(27), Galbarad-Warrden(23), Gildro-Burg(20)
    [B]Windfola[/B]: Fredemond-Mini(25), Fimorin-Cappy(34), Fallaf-Guard(25), Fumli-RK(25), Falandion-LM(21)

Quote Originally Posted by Neumi View Post
    TPs are not $, since you can earn LOTS of TP while playing.
    For completing the low level deeds you can get ~500 TPs (there are sites with guides how to get most TPs out of the game).
    LOL, 500 TP is only worth about $3.60 (at worst, $6.67).

Yes, you can follow guides to "earn" TP from playing, however the hourly take is WAY below minimum wage of pretty much everywhere that has one. You'd be better off spending an hour working at McDonalds for minimum wage for one day, which would earn you tens of thousands of TP, enabling you to purchase everything you'd ever want.

Remember, time IS money. TP is also directly purchased via cash. If you earn X amount of TP from Y amount of grinding deeds in game, you are working for X/Y times whatever rate you would purchase TP at, likely pennies per hour.

Please don't make the mistake of not valuing yourself, or your time, especially your recreation time. :-)